Prospect Info: Tyler Boucher (RW/LW) - Don`t sleep on Tyler Boucher

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Nice Shot of Boucher in action at the 2023 U20 WJC

1672975338177.png

Reactions: guyzeur

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Yeah, I’ve gotta say I think people that are “passionately” defending Boucher are doing so because there are literally thousands of posts about it being a waste of a 10th overall pick, how terrible he has been and repeating his stats line over and over again as if anyone thinks it’s good.

Maybe he will figure it out, maybe he never will. It feels like there’s a lot more energy towards this than it merits. At the end of the day it’s a message board, so people can talk about what they want, but the sheer volume of posts catastrophizing this pick does often feel like maybe people are using Boucher as proof that Sens management and drafting is indeed incompetent - because it’s the same stuff we heard about Brady, and then Pinto, and Josh Norris, and whoever else was allegedly destined to be nothing more than a third liner. And then that was completely wrong, so let’s never lose focus on the one time it may have been right.

Colorado took Tyson Jost 10th overall. Tampa took Slater Koekkoek 10th overall. Chicago took Jack Skille 7th overall. Lots of teams have burned good picks and been fine. It feels strange to dwell so deeply on this rather than just rooting for him. Half the time the discussion isn’t even around his performance in a given game, it’s just knocking him and the fact that the Sens even picked him. No one disputes that at this point in time, it doesn’t look good. What is in question is whether 5 years from now it will or won’t, and really only time will tell.

Freedom of speech and all, so to each their own. But Boucher’s defense squad, if you wanna call it that, is a reaction to the endless ire directed towards him more than anything.
This is now the theme from the positive side but I would suggest people harp on the downside of Bouchers play also based on the fact plenty of people blow up his every little positive.

It wasn't that long ago that clips of him making a typical hit or missing the net with a shot were hailed as proof he was a gamer.

One side seems to believe they are the, "right" type of fan and somehow hold the moral high ground because they won't say anything negative about the prospect.

It's gone from having an opinion to the type of person you are. Way too much.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
Jost and Koekkoek were selected within a few spots of the final rankings, whereas Boucher was selected 30-40 spots ahead of expected. Everyone knew it was a poor selection, but Sens staff thought they were smarter than everyone else. At least it took more than 15 seconds to realize that Jost and Koekkoek were poor selections.

I was listening to the Fan 960 (Calgary sports radio) this morning and even they were poking fun at the selection calling it a "galaxy brain pick".

Reactions: Cosmix and NB613

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
After watching him at the WJC I think you can pretty safely project what his ceiling might be. He doesn't have the IQ / awareness to be a top 6 player that much is sure. I think 3rd line F would be where he'd slot but quite honestly I don't know where he fits on this team.

Ostapchuk, on the other hand, has just flown by Boucher on the prospect ranking. Much rather have him on the 3rd line.

At this point Boucher needs to focus on making it to the AHL because the NHL is probably 3-5 years away for him.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Jost and Koekkoek were selected within a few spots of the final rankings, whereas Boucher was selected 30-40 spots ahead of expected. Everyone knew it was a poor selection, but Sens staff thought they were smarter than everyone else. At least it took more than 15 seconds to realize that Jost and Koekkoek were poor selections.

I was listening to the Fan 960 (Calgary sports radio) this morning and even they were poking fun at the selection calling it a "galaxy brain pick".
Well, good thing they proved to be smarter than everyone else with a few other picks in the last 5 years or so. But yeah, lets just find reasons to discredit the merit in those selections while simultaneously beating to death the Tyler Boucher pick before it is even close to a done deal...

Just like my bank account, I wish we could put an extra zero at the end of the Boucher pick just so everyone wouldn't lose so much sleep over it.

JimmySpaetzle

May 16, 2014
Just in time for Giroux to be retiring or near finishing up his career.

In 3-4 years, Boucher will make the team as a 23-24 year old hard hitting RW on our second line
I would be gladly surprised if Boucher ends up as a 2nd line winger on a cup contending team. I see him as more of a 3rd liner at the moment

Reactions: NB613

SquidNasty

Dec 8, 2021
A shame Guenther went one pick before. Man many of us wanted him
That winning streak was painful. Everyone saying it was great because we were building a winning culture but reality is that we lose one extra game and we’ve got Guenther/Clarke in the system instead of Boucher who likely never even makes the NHL.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
He is big and they do take longer. You can say that its not true but it is.

I am passionate because I want to wait and see before labelling him a bust?.... Call me passionate then.

Why do so many posters so passionately hate him? Thats the better question. Its f***in weird. Didnt hear a peep from anyone until he had a bad game.

those big guys i feel are generally the ones who are growing into their bodies and skating though. Like gangly awkward rookie Brady vs Brady now.

But Boucher is a compact torpedo. He already skates and looks like an NHLer physically, so what does he have to grow into? He should be able to leverage his physicals gifts a lot easier than he is showing now.

This isnt true, he was good until the Canada game. I dont mind the criticism he gets plenty of it is deserved. But alot of it is hyperbole and has more to do with posters ego's than anything else.

we have different expectations for good. no need to bring psychological analysis into it.

Reactions: OD99

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
A shame Guenther went one pick before. Man many of us wanted him
We had a ton of draft capital we could have thrown at Arizona to make a switch of picks. I hope we at least tried, but I doubt it - Boucher ticked so many boxes of what our scouts like that they easily talked themselves into him. Son of a former NHLer, big, physical, "gritty", blah blah blah...

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Just in time for Giroux to be retiring or near finishing up his career.

In 3-4 years, Boucher will make the team as a 23-24 year old hard hitting RW on our second line

2nd line? Thats real ambitious lol
Let's hope that Boucher at least comes close to Giroux.

I've stayed away from the Boucher debate. It's too hypothetical and future oriented. Don't think debating a hypothetical should require much of my time I suppose. I'll let it play out.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
We had a ton of draft capital we could have thrown at Arizona to make a switch of picks. I hope we at least tried, but I doubt it - Boucher ticked so many boxes of what our scouts like that they easily talked themselves into him. Son of a former NHLer, big, physical, "gritty", blah blah blah...
What would it cost for us to move from Guenther to a Boucher?

I’d hope it would be so high there would be no chance the team at 10 would consider it.

I’m sure they tried, nobody wanted out of the top 9. And even then, there’s the very real possibility they had Boucher higher than 10 and were fine sitting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Larionov

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
What would it cost for us to move from Guenther to a Boucher?

I’d hope it would be so high there would be no chance the team at 10 would consider it.

I’m sure they tried, nobody wanted out of the top 9. And even then, there’s the very real possibility they had Boucher higher than 10 and were fine sitting.
Theoretically it shouldn't have been THAT high. After all, you're only talking about a move of one spot. Arizona, though, likely couldn't believe their good luck when Guenther, who many had in the top five, fell to ninth. At that point, you may be right in that all the seconds and thirds in the world wouldn't make them switch spots...

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Theoretically it shouldn't have been THAT high. After all, you're only talking about a move of one spot. Arizona, though, likely couldn't believe their good luck when Guenther, who many had in the top five, fell to ninth. At that point, you may be right in that all the seconds and thirds in the world wouldn't make them switch spots...
Absolutely.

Islanders offered #4, #34, #65, #103, #125, #155, #185 plus picks from 2013 to move up from 4 to 2 in 2012, and the BJ's said not a chance.

• Haha
Reactions: HSF and Samsquanch

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Absolutely.

Islanders offered #4, #34, #65, #103, #125, #155, #185 plus picks from 2013 to move up from 4 to 2 in 2012, and the BJ's said not a chance.
Lmfao no way? In 2012 of all drafts... The BJs were that high on Ryan Murray??? Yikes, what an epic fail on their part.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Absolutely.

Ironically, any of the players taken 5, 6, 7, 9, or 11th that year turned out better than the entire top 4 combined that year.

Most years, that trade probably works out for the NYI, and it's understandable why Clb says no.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Ironically, any of the players taken 5, 6, 7, 9, or 11th that year turned out better than the entire top 4 combined that year.

Most years, that trade probably works out for the NYI, and it's understandable why Clb says no.
Absolutely.

And in a year where there was a rigid, rigid top 9 (I think Sillinger and Lucius were the only guys to get any votes inside the top 9) it makes sense why nobody would listen to trade back offers from teams outside the top 9 teams.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Absolutely.

And in a year where there was a rigid, rigid top 9 (I think Sillinger and Lucius were the only guys to get any votes inside the top 9) it makes sense why nobody would listen to trade back offers from teams outside the top 9 teams.
Yeah, the cutoff was definitely 9, trading up one spot wasn't going to cost us a 3rd like in 2016.

Btw, Wallstedt got 4 votes in the 5-10 range on Mackenzie's list, he was a bit of a candidate to jump in the top 10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad