Prospect Info: Tyler Boucher (RW/LW) - Don`t sleep on Tyler Boucher

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Ostapchuk's hockey sense is probably his strongest asset. He knows exactly what needs to be done, and when. Never out of position, always where he needs to be. If he had the ability and skill to make plays he sees happen he'd be a top 5 pick. That's why coaches trust him out there in every situation

A less skilled version of Jordan Staal, Michael Handzus-lite

People tend to think of hockey sense as purely seeing plays develop in the o-zone. Ostapchuk has great defensive awareness (from what I've seen). It's an under reported and under appreciated component of hockey smarts.

Combined with his physical tools he has it in him to be a very good defensive C. Looking forward to seeing how he progresses.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Lazar played a more mature game early on and showed more versatility. Lazar could be relied on in a shut down role and PK .
Boucher has more speed and power, hits harder and a harder shot.
Puck skills as far as being deft and deceptive are similar
Neither player is your zone entry guy or puck transporter
Boucher can make more of an impact on the game physically at the same age but is that enough?

Boucher has to learn to be a reliable defensive player imo to have the chance to make a consistent impact in other areas

As far as development is concerned well we want all our prospects to develop. I see Boucher as a late bloomer and its still a wait and see .. I am sure a coach like Mann get him there in the AHL but where is there has to be determined .. He will have to isolate what he has to do to make the NHL and play regularly. Work on that and go from there. If he shows more to his game Mann will see it and try to bring it out.

Lazar was pretty bad from the get go. His offensive game was terrible and his hockey sense bad. Weak draft and they took him for his character.. No offensive instincts at all and doesn’t his teammates at all anywhere on the ice - just a player who you couldn’t see impacting a game anywhere and he didn’t even impact games as C for the WJC team.

At least Boucher can dictate a shift with his physicality and size and speed

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I would tend not to agree with those statements. He has all the hallmarks of an early bloomer. Roughly average NHL size, identified as one of the top 15 forward in the US at an early age, got the very top training from a very early age.

Personally I cannot think of a single USNDP player that was a late bloomer. By definition, they are all early bloomers.

It does not mean he cannot improve, but we also have to look at it realistically.
Tage Thompson

If you’re using the term late bloomer as guys who aren’t considered top players before junior that’s a terrible definition.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Tage Thompson

If you’re using the term late bloomer as guys who aren’t considered top players before junior that’s a terrible definition.
Tage Thompson? The player who in his draft year was almost a point per game in the NCAA?

No, he was definitely an early bloomer. Very few players, who are quite often elite players, have put up those kind of numbers in their draft year in the NCAA.

The fact he took some time to adjust to the NHL play and had to wait behind Eichel for his opportunity does not affect the fact he was a dominating NCAA player pre draft.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Lazar at his 19 WJC was when I knew he was a bust. I think he even put up some decent points but it became so obvious his IQ was an issue trying to play with McDavid.

Same with Boucher it seems, he has all the tools to be a supplementary linemate for high IQ players. But the result is always underwhelming when he is put in that role.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Tage Thompson? The player who in his draft year was almost a point per game in the NCAA?

No, he was definitely an early bloomer. Very few players, who are quite often elite players, have put up those kind of numbers in their draft year in the NCAA.

The fact he took some time to adjust to the NHL play and had to wait behind Eichel for his opportunity does not affect the fact he was a dominating NCAA player pre draft.
Yes, Tage Thompson, who has been described as a late bloomer by pretty much everybody.

Your definition of late bloomer isn’t the widely accepted definition of late bloomer.

Nick Paul was a late bloomer, he was still one of the top players in the country throughout Jr.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Lol wait behind Eichel, he couldn’t get by as a second liner,
He was behind Eichel because he wasn’t as good, should the Sabres of gifted him top billing.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Lazar at his 19 WJC was when I knew he was a bust. I think he even put up some decent points but it became so obvious his IQ was an issue trying to play with McDavid.

Same with Boucher it seems, he has all the tools to be a supplementary linemate for high IQ players. But the result is always underwhelming when he is put in that role.

In Boucher's defense, he wasn't playing with great linemates in this tournament. Savage was just okay and Duke might have been their worst forward.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Lazar was much better as an 18 year old at the WJC. Was arguably Canada's most effective forward that year.

I never liked the pick and on draft day used Dan Paille (decent 3rd liner at the time) as a potential comparable, but I think it's pretty clear that rushing him to the NHL to play limited 4th line minutes beside plugs who never got him the puck was a disaster for his confidence and his overall offensive development.

Could see that when he came back to captain Team Canada at the WJC as a 19 year old. Had barely touched the puck all year and could seemingly only score if the puck bounced off his body into the net. That was only one year after a great WHL season in which he was one of the best even strength goal scorers in the entire CHL.

Hope for Boucher's sake that we don't rush him to the league like we did with Lazar. Even if he's physically ready he needs at least a couple years in Belleville.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Lol wait behind Eichel, he couldn’t get by as a second liner,
He was behind Eichel because he wasn’t as good, should the Sabres of gifted him top billing.
My point is he is the type of player that needs to be a first line player with good wingers, or his contributions will be heavily muted. Logan Brown is another good example of this type of player. And no, at the time he should not have been playing above Eichel, although these days it seems otherwise.

If Eichel had not been in Buffalo, Thompson likely would have been a much more noticeable player a few years earlier.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Yes, Tage Thompson, who has been described as a late bloomer by pretty much everybody.

Your definition of late bloomer isn’t the widely accepted definition of late bloomer.

Nick Paul was a late bloomer, he was still one of the top players in the country throughout Jr.
Perhaps my definition is different. But if thats the case, Boucher is massively behind other late bloomers, and it tells how far he has to go.

Paul? Did not get OHL drafted his draft year, was drafted 5th round as an overage pick. Had a rather pedestrian 18 year old year. I'm not sure how that can be called one of the top players throughout his junior career. By hislast year he had finally improved enough to be in that statement, but that was his last year of OHL elligibility (not counting overagers).

That is my definition of a late bloomer, those are starting behind 99.9% of other players in their age category and are able to make it, not a player who is the top 1% of their age category and makes it.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

I saw it too, I just tried to ignore it :(

Hoping he's a high energy 3rd line forward who pitches in 10-15 goals. But his injury tendencies might even make that not possible.

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Perhaps my definition is different. But if thats the case, Boucher is massively behind other late bloomers, and it tells how far he has to go.

Paul? Did not get OHL drafted his draft year, was drafted 5th round as an overage pick. Had a rather pedestrian 18 year old year. I'm not sure how that can be called one of the top players throughout his junior career. By hislast year he had finally improved enough to be in that statement, but that was his last year of OHL elligibility (not counting overagers).

That is my definition of a late bloomer, those are starting behind 99.9% of other players in their age category and are able to make it, not a player who is the top 1% of their age category and makes it.
That’s perfectly fine that’s your definition, but that’s not what late bloomer means in hockey.

Claude Giroux wasn’t drafted to the OHL.

David Perron was passed in the 1st year of eligibility.

Neither one of the guys were late bloomers.

Lawson Crouse was on the WJ team at 17, drafted 11th, he’s just coming into his own. He’d be considered a late bloomer, even though he’s always been a highly recognized and big name prospect.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Lazar was pretty bad from the get go. His offensive game was terrible and his hockey sense bad. Weak draft and they took him for his character.. No offensive instincts at all and doesn’t his teammates at all anywhere on the ice - just a player who you couldn’t see impacting a game anywhere and he didn’t even impact games as C for the WJC team.

At least Boucher can dictate a shift with his physicality and size and speed
I think we are talking at their relative Junior ages here . You should say you project Boucher to be able to do that.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
He needs reps and to grow into his body. He has barely had any the last 3 years. It's weird to me that we have posters saying he is done that don't watch him and don't acknowledge any human aspect like changing teams systems countries and injuries. Why is it do you think that big players take longer to develop?.....

I am not saying he is a world beater or he won't bust. All I am saying is it's way too early. For that I'm labeled a 'cheerleader'.

I'd rather be a 'cheerleader' than a 'hater' if those are the only options.
You keep listing, "grow into his body" and, "big guys take longer to develop" like he has had some huge growth spurt to go from small NHL average size.

He isn't overly big and he doesn't seem to have grown much in the last couple of years. If anything he was physically mature much sooner than his peers so should be more adjusted to his size.

Talk about developing or whatever you want but the big players take time to develop piece doesn't seem to hold water.

You seem particularly passionate about Boucher, any specific reason why?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Lol 99.9 %

So 999 out of 1000 are late bloomers
So every player but 1 drafted every 4-5 years

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I think we are talking at their relative Junior ages here . You should say you project Boucher to be able to do that.

Boucher looks to me like a Colin Greening who’s not afraid and will continue to hit and fight after he gets given a contract.

But biggest upside for Boucher is you can see he loves the game within the game - not goals or winning but the competition for space and respect for the uniform (character I guess it can be called) but the real kind. He’s a kid playing a hard game because he wants to, not because he’s looking for a contract.

Still think he projects as a bottom pairing player - but a really solid one that never takes a step backward

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
You keep listing, "grow into his body" and, "big guys take longer to develop" like he has had some huge growth spurt to go from small NHL average size.

He isn't overly big and he doesn't seem to have grown much in the last couple of years. If anything he was physically mature much sooner than his peers so should be more adjusted to his size.

Talk about developing or whatever you want but the big players take time to develop piece doesn't seem to hold water.

You seem particularly passionate about Boucher, any specific reason why?
He is big and they do take longer. You can say that its not true but it is.

I am passionate because I want to wait and see before labelling him a bust?.... Call me passionate then.

Why do so many posters so passionately hate him? Thats the better question. Its f***in weird. Didnt hear a peep from anyone until he had a bad game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad