Prospect Info: Tyler Boucher (RW/LW) - Don`t sleep on Tyler Boucher

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
I didn't think he looked very good offensively in comparison to the other big names. When they drafted him 10th, Sens brass were hoping he would develop the offensive touch but so far, it's not there.

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
He reminds me of a ton of Tyler Biggs. Similar game though Biggs had more offense to his game.

Oscar The Grouch

Oct 16, 2021
I didn't think he looked very good offensively in comparison to the other big names. When they drafted him 10th, Sens brass were hoping he would develop the offensive touch but so far, it's not there.

It will be there in the NHL. He's one of those guys that can't score at any level except the NHL.

Just like me, but I never made it.

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
He is going to be a late bloomer for sure.

I would like to see him work on becoming a 200ft player and defense. This way he is not one dimensional. Time with skating coach and years under Troy Mann can help.

He is very raw, we don't even know what we have yet, boom or bust!

Everyone complains because he was picked 10OA but we have picked the BPA in the first rounds in the past that have turned into busts. Once and a while you gamble, sometimes you win or lose!

Let's see what happens.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Didn’t look so hard to play against on that first American goal.
LOL. What a stupid and hollow comment to make. You can pick 1 moment in any game to make someone look great or terrible.

Stankoven was part of the reason Team Canada won that game.

Boucher was benched because not only did he do nothing offensively (did he touch the puck outside of the rebound right on his tape?) but his poor defensive awareness helped Canada get on the board. He didn't even lay a hit which seems impossible due to his, "elite physicality"

I still hope Boucher can be a player but in this best-on-best he was not a difference maker.

Call me a hater or whatever you like but he still has a lot to prove to be a 4th liner in the NHL.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
a long development path but i still believe there is a decent middle 6 player in him.

Can't be said enough drafting him 10th overall was not only mean to the fans, it was mean to Tyler Boucher.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
a long development path but i still believe there is a decent middle 6 player in him.

Can't be said enough drafting him 10th overall was not only mean to the fans, it was mean to Tyler Boucher.
We disagree on the 1st sentence and are aligned on the 2nd.

Nothing against the kid, I just don't see it.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Ice time doesn't lie - Boucher didn't see the ice in the second half of the game. 10th overall pick, oldest guy on the team, and in the most critical time he got planked. I hope this kid proves me wrong, but boy I just don't see much to get excited about as a prospect...
Mann may have missed on Boucher, he also missed on Lassi Thomson and Shane Bowers - wouldn’t be the first time he pooched a 1st round pick

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
This is all true, but all anecdotal.

It was more fun as a kid to crawl around the backseat while the family car cruised down the highway at 100 km/h, then it was to wear a seatbelt. We now know that the link between that "fun" and child mortality in vehicle crashes is directly linked. Just like we know that dangerous hits and fighting are directly linked to head injuries.

One can say that they don't like injuries; I mean who DOES Like injuries? But if you truly DISLIKE people getting injured then the current CHL rules are a step in the right direction.

Sure, but you can use that strategy until there is no more fun or no more physical play. Where do you draw the line?

Sure, you want hockey to be safe...but isn't the whole point of hockey for fun? And if it's more fun to play and watch with some mild violence, then so be it.

If you're going to take every precaution in the name of safety, you would walk 2 hours everywhere because you're less likely to get hit by a car and die as a pedestrian than a motorist on the road.

At some point, everything else from convenience, to freedom, to fun, has to take a piece of the pie from safety or else we would have no life.

Thousands and millions of people were not only willing, but enjoying playing high contact hockey. Other thousands and millions of people were enjoying watching high contact hockey.

Perhaps they can have a non contact league for people like you, and a contact league for people like me.. therefore we're both happy. We both get what we want..more variety too.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Sure, but you can use that strategy until there is no more fun or no more physical play. Where do you draw the line?

Sure, you want hockey to be safe...but isn't the whole point of hockey for fun? And if it's more fun to play and watch with some mild violence, then so be it.

If you're going to take every precaution in the name of safety, you would walk 2 hours everywhere because you're less likely to get hit by a car and die as a pedestrian than a motorist on the road.

At some point, everything else from convenience, to freedom, to fun, has to take a piece of the pie from safety or else we would have no life.

Thousands and millions of people were not only willing, but enjoying playing high contact hockey. Other thousands and millions of people were enjoying watching high contact hockey.

Perhaps they can have a non contact league for people like you, and a contact league for people like me.. therefore we're both happy. We both get what we want..more variety too.
The NHL is still high contact hockey, they have just adjusted what's allowed to get rid of the unnecessary injuires that were frequent.

The NHL will never, and should never, go back to the 90's, and the guys who played in that era would agree that the rules adjusted for player safety is a step int he right direction that needs to be continually improved. The NHL is trending in the right direction with the decline of fighting and removal of headhunting. There needs to be progress made on the stick penalties that are being called, that is at an extremely soft point at the moment. Hitting and physical play seems to be in a good spot right now.

Junior leagues, right now, are not at that spot yet, the game is very soft with regards to the rules and what is/isn't allowed at this point. Fight limits was a great implementation.

That's why guys like Boucher are so valued/over-valued, they play a dying breed of hockey that teams still love, and the NHL still has a place for a player like he is, but kids coming up don't play that type of game as it's not what ther NHL is about anymore.

Last edited:

Union2017

Welcome to Ottawa, Michael Andlauer.
Feb 23, 2018
Ottawa

While we're at it, we should end boxing, MMA, skiing (did you see how dangerous that can be?), NASCAR, Formula 1, NFL, make baseball balls softer and lighter, and so on :-D

Meanwhile, let's continue sending 18 year old kids to wars while not allowing them to have a beer until they're 21 and sell guns like they're candies (USA, of course)

BTW I loved the idea of lingerie football league LOL, whatever happened to that thing? I remember they started it at some point. COVID?

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
He reminds me of a ton of Tyler Biggs. Similar game though Biggs had more offense to his game.
One major difference is that Biggs was a Logan Brown level skater, like he was skating in mud. This is why he never made the NHL, couldn't keep up. Boucher is a decent skater. Boucher will make the NHL, but will probably be a mean and nasty crash and bang 4th liner his whole career, maybe 3rd line if lucky (if he learns how to defend at a high level which I'm skeptical of). He also has value as a net-front presence on the power play. Has a decent shot, so he'll score some goals. No playmaking ability at all.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
They call him "The Fireball" though. 🔥🔥

But yeesh Boucher reminds me too much of Lazar at the WJC but with even lower hockey sense.

Their high skilled teammates buzzing around trying to create while they are just trying to keep up.

Not sure why Dorion and Mann hate hockey sense so much.
What?.... He has hockey sense and he isn't remotely close to being done developing.

Maybe you struggle to identify hockey sense yourself. You said Brady had none and went on for pages upon pages saying so.

I keep reading the same rhetoric that the pick was blown botched whatever. Whoever is repeating that have you looked historically at the development of bigger physical players? We simply don't know yet. Due to injuries, suspensions and the pandemic many players specifically Boucher have missed out on major development time. People need more patience. Not just with Boucher but this sens team in general. They aren't a player away right now the teams best players aren't close to their prime. If you want to see a cup you're just going to have to wait and not give up on players so early. Look at how long it took Nick Paul.... It's a prime example right in front of you. Most of the board wanted to give up on him.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Thanks for your input. But just a God awful take. Biggs couldn't skate which didn't allow him to finish his checks the same way or get in on the forcheck. You can go back to your board now and figure out which excuse to make when your leafs get dusted in the first round and the 19 year playoff series win drought continues. Then you can move on to more excuses about how the leafs have never won 3 consecutive playoff series. Then you can complain about the cap and how there shouldn't be one. Even though Toronto has every other possible advantage. Which includes resources for scouting. Maybe invest in that and Toronto might have a single prospect playing in the WJC. Rinse and repeat.

How can you be so sure? Blind hope at this point?
He's scoring at a 40 goal pave while being the most physical player in the league. Speaking of blind any of you actually watch him?

RickyLafleur

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
He's scoring at a 40 goal pave while being the most physical player in the league. Speaking of blind any of you actually watch him?
Doubtful, he won't even play enough games to get 40 goals because he keeps getting suspended. I have watched him, and he was a -3 yesterday, completely ineffective, and didn't even play the second half of the game. Really don't why know why your cheerleading this guy so much when he looks like a dime a dozen 4th liner at best.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I think the biggest disappointment was the lack of physical play by him. I get that he has highlight big hits in the OHL but if you can't play an overall physical game and can't produce you really won't make the NHL

Reactions: NB613

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Doubtful, he won't even play enough games to get 40 goals because he keeps getting suspended. I have watched him, and he was a -3 yesterday, completely ineffective, and didn't even play the second half of the game. Really don't why know why your cheerleading this guy so much when he looks like a dime a dozen 4th liner at best.
You watched him 1 game..... Congratulations. The suspensions are why he is going to be valuable. None of them would have been suspensions in the NHL. Which proves my point you have to watched..

I am not 'cheerleading' anything take a minute and read. I have said it's simply the fact that he isn't remotely close to developing. He has shown many tools that will translate. Which include physical play something most posters here don't value.

I think the biggest disappointment was the lack of physical play by him. I get that he has highlight big hits in the OHL but if you can't play an overall physical game and can't produce you really won't make the NHL
He does play physical..... wtf. He has to tone it down at this level because they call everything. Has anyone here shitting on him actually watched him play at all? Or do you even understand the type of hockey being played?

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Ha. He had a bad game.

Hey every time one of our players has a bad game we should cut all ties to the player. And roast them on their way out. Lol

Reactions: Bileur

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Neither did Boucher when the guy legit got benched for an entire period cuz he lost coverage 3 different times resulting on 2 goals for Canada.

Lol, yeah that didn’t age well.

I was just chirping and was fully aware of how thin the branch I was stepping out on was.

They call him "The Fireball" though. 🔥🔥

But yeesh Boucher reminds me too much of Lazar at the WJC but with even lower hockey sense.

Their high skilled teammates buzzing around trying to create while they are just trying to keep up.

Not sure why Dorion and Mann hate hockey sense so much.

Lazar looked much better in a support role.

I don’t think they hate hockey sense. They wouldn’t have ended up with Tkachuk, Stutzle, Pinto, Sanderson, Greig, Hamara, Kastelic, Ostapchuk or JBD (an many other examples when they were in other roles) if that were the case.

Seems to me they highly value character and work ethic as predictors of development and are taking swings on guys with a stand out NHL level attribute (skating, size, shot, hockey sense etc)

As I said when he was drafted, he was picked too early but the milk is spilled all we can do now is keep tabs on him and not even think about him as an NHL option until he’s had probably 2 years in the AHL.

LOL. What a stupid and hollow comment to make. You can pick 1 moment in any game to make someone look great or terrible.

Stankoven was part of the reason Team Canada won that game.

Boucher was benched because not only did he do nothing offensively (did he touch the puck outside of the rebound right on his tape?) but his poor defensive awareness helped Canada get on the board. He didn't even lay a hit which seems impossible due to his, "elite physicality"

I still hope Boucher can be a player but in this best-on-best he was not a difference maker.

Call me a hater or whatever you like but he still has a lot to prove to be a 4th liner in the NHL.

I thought it would be obvious that it was tongue in cheek given that it was made like 2 minutes into the game while Stankoven is having a great tournament but to be fair I guess that’s hard to tell when so many are hell bent on proving their facile “it was a bad pick” takes right.

Apparently I need to use the sarcasm emoji.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ice-Tray

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
You watched him 1 game..... Congratulations. The suspensions are why he is going to be valuable. None of them would have been suspensions in the NHL. Which proves my point you have to watched..

I am not 'cheerleading' anything take a minute and read. I have said it's simply the fact that he isn't remotely close to developing. He has shown many tools that will translate. Which include physical play something most posters here don't value.

He does play physical..... wtf. He has to tone it down at this level because they call everything. Has anyone here shitting on him actually watched him play at all? Or do you even understand the type of hockey being played?
I am talking about basic finishing off hits and not big hits in this tournaments. he was very unnoticeable in the little he played and seemed to provide nothing on the ice. He had good net front presence in the other games but that won't get you far

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad