Prospect Info: Tyler Boucher (RW/LW) - Don`t sleep on Tyler Boucher

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
He's showing off his good toolkit. Has a solid chance at ending up a decent bottom 6er.

I do have to question where his physicality has gone though. We drafted him 10th OVR because he was supposed to be one of the most intimidating physical players to come through the draft in years, and he hasn't really shown that at all.

I wonder if he was advised by the US coaches and/or his dad to tone down the physical play due to IIHF refs throwing around 5 minute majors for any kind of questionable hit.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
He's showing off his good toolkit. Has a solid chance at ending up a decent bottom 6er.

I do have to question where his physicality has gone though. We drafted him 10th OVR because he was supposed to be one of the most intimidating physical players to come through the draft in years, and he hasn't really shown that at all.

I wonder if he was advised by the US coaches and/or his dad to tone down the physical play due to IIHF refs throwing around 5 minute majors for any kind of questionable hit.
Idk man....did you see what he got 6 games for in the OHL? It kinda sends a message about physicality and an IIHF event isn't the place to amp it up.

Let's see what he looks like next year in the AHL. For all we know the Senators might have told him "we know you can hit, tone it down, stay healthy and work on xyz"

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Idk man....did you see what he got 6 games for in the OHL? It kinda sends a message about physicality and an IIHF event isn't the place to amp it up.

Let's see what he looks like next year in the AHL. For all we know the Senators might have told him "we know you can hit, tone it down, stay healthy and work on xyz"
If the team told Chris Neil to stop hitting hard, Neil would not have a roster spot.

It seems to me that Boucher must play his game, whatever that is or will be, to become an NHL player.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
If the team told Chris Neil to stop hitting hard, Neil would not have a roster spot.

It seems to me that Boucher must play his game, whatever that is or will be, to become an NHL player.
That’s not true.

The CHL has changed a ton since Neil was there. There are limits on fights, and we have seen what kind of hit gets you multiple game suspensions.

Neil would have done whatever the team wanted to make it, just like any and every drafted kid.

I gotta say though, I heard and saw about as much from Sillinger in tonight’s game as I did Boucher….. ;)

Last edited:

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
That’s not true.

The CHL has changed a ton since Neil was there. There are limits on fights, and we have seen what kind of hit gets you multiple game suspensions.

Neil would have done whatever the team wanted to make it, just like any and every drafted kid.

I gotta say though, I heard and saw about as much from Sillinger in tonight’s game as I did Boucher….. ;)
Sillinger is a superstar in the making. Amirite?
(Didn’t see the game)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Difficult to be a hitting machine when you're constantly getting injured. He had to tone it down or he'd never be healthy. Put the IIHF rules on top of that.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

Remember when tootoos job was to go around and hit everything that moved?

I was kinda hoping boucher would play the same role, but with more skill.

Have they changed their rules in the last 20 years on how hard you can hit on the forecheck? I know they've added hits to the head rules, and blindside, but anything else?

Any rules go against just skating hard and hitting hard? Like kastelic and Watson do on the forecheck or like Kelly did last night in the corner behind the net.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Remember when tootoos job was to go around and hit everything that moved?

I was kinda hoping boucher would play the same role, but with more skill.

Have they changed their rules in the last 20 years on how hard you can hit on the forecheck? I know they've added hits to the head rules, and blindside, but anything else?

Any rules go against just skating hard and hitting hard? Like kastelic and Watson do on the forecheck or like Kelly did last night in the corner behind the net.
See Dean's hit that got him ejected.

No head shot, he hit's a shorter guy who was bent down. A hard hit on the forecheck that resulted in the player banging his visor off his nose and drawing blood.

IIHF has a zero policy for NHL style forechecking and contact. You risk an ejection anytime you throw a Tootoo style hit, anything resulting in an injury, or blood, will be deemed a Major and game misconduct.

In the NHL, Dean gets a pat on the back, earns some praise in the coaches and teams eyes, and solidifies a role. In the WJ's, you become a pariah.

Last edited:

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018

No head shot, he hit's a shorter guy who was bent down. A hard hit on the forecheck that resulted in the player banging his visor off his nose and drawing blood.

IIHF has a zero policy for NHL style forechecking and contact. You risk an ejection anytime you throw a Tootoo style hit, anything resulting in an injury, or blood, will be deemed a Major and game misconduct.

In the NHL, Dean gets a pat on the back, earns some praise in the coaches and teams eyes, and solidifies a role. In the WJ's, you become a pariah.
Yeah, I am struggling to recall a real big hit that hasn’t been penalized

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK
100% agree in the pros. AHL or NHL. But junior has gotten soft and the IIHF is even softer. You can't hit like a freight train anymore at that level
Are you complaining about people not wanting to see children get brain damage?

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Are you complaining about people not wanting to see children get brain damage?
Your ability to read between the lines and really tease out the true meaning of a post is unparalleled. Well played

• Haha
Reactions: Loach

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK
Your ability to read between the lines and really tease out the true meaning of a post is unparalleled. Well played
I mean that is in fact what people mean when they complain the Jr leagues have "gotten soft" right? Let's not beat around the bush. If you meant to say "Jr leagues have incentivized fewer big hits and fighting by increasing the the severity of penalties" you could have said something along those lines. But you didn't. You said the league is soft which is fine, you are entitled to your opinion, just be up front and say "I miss the days 17 year old kids were allowed to beat the shit out of each other for the entertainment of adults."

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I mean that is in fact what people mean when they complain the Jr leagues have "gotten soft" right? Let's not beat around the bush. If you meant to say "Jr leagues have incentivized fewer big hits and fighting by increasing the the severity of penalties" you could have said something along those lines. But you didn't. You said the league is soft which is fine, you are entitled to your opinion, just be up front and say "I miss the days 17 year old kids were allowed to beat the shit out of each other for the entertainment of adults."
Yup, that's really what I meant.

Unparalleled ability to tease out true meaning. You're gifted man.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

But what are the actual rules that prevent someone from hitting hard on the forecheck? What rule are the refs pointing to when they hand a 5 and a game to a big forecheck hit that is shoulder on shoulder?

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

Literally half the fans used to like watching the OHL because despite not being as good, was more "entertaining" than the NHL because you had 6-5 scores often combined with everyone trying to make the NHL so they're always going 120% with big hits and fights all the time.

You try to make it sound gross, but people enjoyed the passion when these guys were hitting/fighting. They're like 6'2, 190 and have been playing hockey for 15 years and are willingly getting involved physically to make the show...don't make them out to be victims. It was entertaining.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
But what are the actual rules that prevent someone from hitting hard on the forecheck? What rule are the refs pointing to when they hand a 5 and a game to a big forecheck hit that is shoulder on shoulder?
There are no rules, that's part of the issue. Be prepared for the referee, at his own discretion, to call a major if a player is hit hard and there is any type of resulting injury

"A Major Penalty shall be imposed on any Player who commits a physical foul and who recklessly endangers the fouled Player in a way that, at the discretion of the Referee, such Player would not be sufficiently sanctioned by imposing a Minor or Double-minor Penalty. Such assessment of reckless endangerment shall be based on the severity of the infraction, severity of the contact, the degree of violence and the general reprehensibility involved"

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
There are no rules, that's part of the issue. Be prepared for the referee, at his own discretion, to call a major if a player is hit hard and there is any type of resulting injury

"A Major Penalty shall be imposed on any Player who commits a physical foul and who recklessly endangers the fouled Player in a way that, at the discretion of the Referee, such Player would not be sufficiently sanctioned by imposing a Minor or Double-minor Penalty. Such assessment of reckless endangerment shall be based on the severity of the infraction, severity of the contact, the degree of violence and the general reprehensibility involved"

My god. Brutal.

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
Literally half the fans used to like watching the OHL because despite not being as good, was more "entertaining" than the NHL because you had 6-5 scores often combined with everyone trying to make the NHL so they're always going 120% with big hits and fights all the time.

You try to make it sound gross, but people enjoyed the passion when these guys were hitting/fighting. They're like 6'2, 190 and have been playing hockey for 15 years and are willingly getting involved physically to make the show...don't make them out to be victims. It was entertaining.
in 1991 or 1992, I have forgotten. I was living in Cornwall and the Royals who had just emerged from a 2 to 3 year down period, were a contender again. We drove up to Ottawa to watch them play the 67's.

It wasn't a game. It was a blood bath. Sticks to the head, rough play.. I cannot quickly remember a more violent junior game. The arena was packed and the fans were rabid. But, we were seeing 17 and 18 year olds at their most savage. Had I been parent, I would have lost my mind.

A year or two later, Cornwall which use to host a Midget tournament (so 14 - 16 year old), had two teams go at it in frightening fashion. Kids attacked each other on the bench. The coach of one team was sending his players out to fight. It was neadratholic. Outright barbaric. Parents began to scream, moms cried. It was the most insane scene, I had ever seen. It left you sick to your stomach.

Luckily an organizer who had seen enough, jumped on the ice and literally began to throw players off of each other. I always got a sense he was a policeman.

at some point, we need to be a tad more civilized and a tad more dignified. Hockey was formulated in the 1800's when we were a tad less civilized and dignified. 150 years later, well maybe we need to take a second step out of the caves.

• Wow
Reactions: Agent Zuuuub

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

He was told to tone it down.. 5 minute majors can turn the fortunes of the game ..there was an interview early about this. Not the tournament to display his intimidating physical play.

He has had some notable shifts averaging 13:03 per game on the 3rd line and playing PP1. 4 pts. 3g , 2 PPG. 21.43 shooting %.

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK

Sure, and literally half the fans will bitch and moan about it being soft and will still watch the games because deep down we all know we don't watch hockey to watch a couple 17 year old meatheads that will never make it to the next level punch each other. There is no lack of physicality and passion in Jr hockey, there just happens to be fewer dirty hits and pointless fights which the dinosaurs are just going to have to get over.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
in 1991 or 1992, I have forgotten. I was living in Cornwall and the Royals who had just emerged from a 2 to 3 year down period, were a contender again. We drove up to Ottawa to watch them play the 67's.

It wasn't a game. It was a blood bath. Sticks to the head, rough play.. I cannot quickly remember a more violent junior game. The arena was packed and the fans were rabid. But, we were seeing 17 and 18 year olds at their most savage. Had I been parent, I would have lost my mind.

A year or two later, Cornwall which use to host a Midget tournament (so 14 - 16 year old), had two teams go at it in frightening fashion. Kids attacked each other on the bench. The coach of one team was sending his players out to fight. It was neadratholic. Outright barbaric. Parents began to scream, moms cried. It was the most insane scene, I had ever seen. It left you sick to your stomach.

Luckily an organizer who had seen enough, jumped on the ice and literally began to throw players off of each other. I always got a sense he was a policeman.

at some point, we need to be a tad more civilized and a tad more dignified. Hockey was formulated in the 1800's when we were a tad less civilized and dignified. 150 years later, well maybe we need to take a second step out of the caves.

Yet, those types of events will have the most views. We haven't really changed mentally in 150 years. Evolution doesn't work that fast naturally.

You can't force people to like things or dislike things. I think humans like watching aggression and violence. That's why you have millions of viewers for violent events.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Sure, and literally half the fans will bitch and moan about it being soft and will still watch the games because deep down we all know we don't watch hockey to watch a couple 17 year old meatheads that will never make it to the next level punch each other. There is no lack of physicality and passion in Jr hockey, there just happens to be fewer dirty hits and pointless fights which the dinosaurs are just going to have to get over.
Most knuckle heads watch hockey because society tells them to. "Canada is hockey!" Such drivel...

They don't understand much of anything.

Thankfully the dinosaurs are a dying breed and people at the top are coming to terms with skill being more entertaining than toughness and entertainement = $$$.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

I'm not talking about goons.

I'm talking about big skilled aggressive players. Who that's coming through the ranks plays like Iginla? Is he a meathead? Go look at how many fights he had in junior. It would lead the league.

If you can actually make an argument without reverting to strawmen, I'd like to hear it.

Your "if you like lots of fights, you must like 4th line goons"...no. historically, plenty of 50+ point junior players would throw a lot of big hits and get in many fights. That was entertaining. You don't have to want goons to like big hits and fights.

The 5-1 Ottawa Montreal playoff game was more entertaining with the brawl then had it just been a 5-1 win without big hits and fights.

Reactions: h2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad