Prospect Info: Tyler Boucher (RW/LW) - Don`t sleep on Tyler Boucher

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
I agree that there’s an issue on both sides. I can see how my post would be interpreted differently. My mistake.

The issue with the other side “seeing potential” is that their expectations had to be reduced so greatly to get to the point where they feel so positively about a player whose toolkit can be found in the later rounds or through a cheap signing.
Except in the later rounds you don't get near the same likelihood of success. If you are after that particular skillset and believe that it will contribute to a winning formula, you need to draft it high enough so there is a high enough probability of it succeeding, which is exactly how Boucher is panning out.

I think what a lot of people are missing is that PD is building a very specific team. He has drafted according to a blueprint that he believes will be a winner and it is based on speed, size and grit (not unlike STL 2019 team). Boucher fills a need within this blueprint and so instead of looking at it within the context of BPA, people need to look at it within the context of PD's blueprint. Argue that the formula is not likely to win a cup, not that we should have taken xxxx.

To me the biggest evidence that people miss the point is that Brennan Othmann's name is rarely brought up as (potentially) a better pick than Boucher. Boucher vs Sillinger isn't the discussion imo as Sillinger didnt fit PD's profile for what he wanted out of that draft. Othmann did though and currently Brennan Othman is out performing Boucher in the O by quite a large margin, although not in goals.

Reactions: Que

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Except in the later rounds you don't get near the same likelihood of success. If you are after that particular skillset and believe that it will contribute to a winning formula, you need to draft it high enough so there is a high enough probability of it succeeding, which is exactly how Boucher is panning out.

I think what a lot of people are missing is that PD is building a very specific team. He has drafted according to a blueprint that he believes will be a winner and it is based on speed, size and grit (not unlike STL 2019 team). Boucher fills a need within this blueprint and so instead of looking at it within the context of BPA, people need to look at it within the context of PD's blueprint. Argue that the formula is not likely to win a cup, not that we should have taken xxxx.

To me the biggest evidence that people miss the point is that Brennan Othmann's name is rarely brought up as (potentially) a better pick than Boucher. Boucher vs Sillinger isn't the discussion imo as Sillinger didnt fit PD's profile for what he wanted out of that draft. Othmann did though and currently Brennan Othman is out performing Boucher in the O by quite a large margin, although not in goals.
Good luck with that!

Even understanding the blueprint of the rebuild has been a serious challenge, even though management and coaches have pretty much explained it each year so far.

Reactions: PlayersLtd

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Typical "good" player on a bad team.

He gets no minutes in our top 6. Not even close. These are the kind of players that get overvalued and end up being nothing with a new team due to reduced opportunity.

He's not a bad player but he's VERY far from what we need at $4.3M for the next 4 years.
Yes He likely would not get top 6 time here. But he would be a great 3rd liner alongside Pinto and Paul. $4.3M is a bit high but he is developing nicely into a power forward who can score.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Why is crouse exactly what they need?
Because it's quite likely Watson isn't re-signed & during the yr they will need someone to drop the gloves with another big guy. Kastelic is still young & learning & could eventually fill that role. And Crouse now has some offensive upside & is an excellent skater & can play higher up in the lineup & better than anyone in our bottom six.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Because it's quite likely Watson isn't re-signed & during the yr they will need someone to drop the gloves with another big guy. Kastelic is still young & learning & could eventually fill that role. And Crouse now has some offensive upside & is an excellent skater & can play higher up in the lineup & better than anyone in our bottom six.
Lol, Kastelic is already a better fighter than Watson. I get you like Crouse, but losing Watsons fighting isn't a reason to get Crouse.

Reactions: HSF and Cosmix

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Lol, Kastelic is already a better fighter than Watson. I get you like Crouse, but losing Watsons fighting isn't a reason to get Crouse.
But Watson is much more aggressive and much more likely to jump in to protect/avenge a teammate at the moment.

People on here give him a hard time, but it takes a tremendous amount of courage and character to constantly stand up for your teammates on top of answering for his own big hits here and there.

I love that we have that type of player on the team. When he gets replaced I hope it’s by someone else equally fearless.

Watty was a great signing for this young team in my opinion.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Othman has come up back at the U18s and at last summer's U20 and at the draft

Reactions: HSF and OD99

Berri UQAM

Apr 15, 2022
But Watson is much more aggressive and much more likely to jump in to protect/avenge a teammate at the moment.

People on here give him a hard time, but it takes a tremendous amount of courage and character to constantly stand up for your teammates on top of answering for his own big hits here and there.

I love that we have that type of player on the team. When he gets replaced I hope it’s by someone else equally fearless.

Watty was a great signing for this young team in my opinion.
I agree. Of course Watson's not a great fighter but he is always 100% engaged. He takes his job seriously, as he should. I prefer that to a guy like Josh Brown who is perhaps a better fighter but seemed to be checked out 4 games out of 5.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Sens With Benefits

Feb 4, 2010
Canada
It takes time for power forwards to develop… The kids only been huge for like two years of his life. Wait till he’s more comfortable with his size and uses it not just to hit people. He has the tenacity and drive which you can’t teach. Chill and be patient.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
I watched a lot of the USA game (every time Boucher on) and he was very noticeable. Speed, physicality, composure even. He'll be an NHLer and has tools to surprise.

It's funny, he seems like a safe player but also has an element of boom or bust to him.
Agreed, but his hands, shot, size and speed generally look closer to guys on the higher end of the comparison (say, Anderson or Torres) than the guys on the lower end (say, Lazar, Clutterbuck, etc).

I think there is a small chance of him becoming a legit top 6er because of those tools, but I am finding more and more elements of his game impressive:

Physicality - very good/elite
Shot - good/very good
Skating - good
Hands - good
Passing - approx. average
IQ - approx. average

Now, I would say he is often less than the sum of those parts. I've seen games where he looks good but doesn't get nearly enough touches. I've seen games where he is too focused on physicality, not assertive enough offensively, etc. But I don't see any glaring weaknesses. It's hard for me to not see an NHL player, and I think he will be a guy who improves for a pretty long time after making it.

Is that a player you can get at ~40, instead of 10th overall? Maybe/probably. In fact, Ostapchuk has a somewhat similar profile (good/adept at basically everything). But I am passed that and am now just excited to see what he becomes. I think he will be a really nice player to have, and it's hard for me to think of a forward that we need more right now than what I think he can be in 3-4 years.

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Agreed, but his hands, shot, size and speed generally look closer to guys on the higher end of the comparison (say, Anderson or Torres) than the guys on the lower end (say, Lazar, Clutterbuck, etc).

I think there is a small chance of him becoming a legit top 6er because of those tools, but I am finding more and more elements of his game impressive:

Physicality - very good/elite
Shot - good/very good
Skating - good
Hands - good
Passing - approx. average
IQ - approx. average

Now, I would say he is often less than the sum of those parts. I've seen games where he looks good but doesn't get nearly enough touches. I've seen games where he is too focused on physicality, not assertive enough offensively, etc. But I don't see any glaring weaknesses. It's hard for me to not see an NHL player, and I think he will be a guy who improves for a pretty long time after making it.

Is that a player you can get at ~40, instead of 10th overall? Maybe/probably. In fact, Ostapchuk has a somewhat similar profile (good/adept at basically everything). But I am passed that and am now just excited to see what he becomes. I think he will be a really nice player to have, and it's hard for me to think of a forward that we need more right now than what I think he can be in 3-4 years.
Boucher's physicality is not "elite".

It takes time for power forwards to develop… The kids only been huge for like two years of his life. Wait till he’s more comfortable with his size and uses it not just to hit people. He has the tenacity and drive which you can’t teach. Chill and be patient.
Boucher is not "huge".

J bo Jeans

Aug 7, 2020
Ottawa
Saw him a couple of times in Ottawa last year, thought he was all right. But why was this guy drafted 10th overall? Stats are so mediocre. Struggled mightily in NCAA for Boston then isn't that dominant in the OHL.

What am I missing here?

Reactions: jhutter

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Saw him a couple of times in Ottawa last year, thought he was all right. But why was this guy drafted 10th overall? Stats are so mediocre. Struggled mightily in NCAA for Boston then isn't that dominant in the OHL.

What am I missing here?
He’s the kind of player we needed. The others who went after him are equal or marginally better in some areas.
You’re not missing much. He has solid fundamentals and potential to be an impactful middle 6 player. Again, this is what we need.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019

What am I missing here?
You're missing 44 pages and 1.5 years of people trying to answer/argue exactly that question.

Reactions: Senator Stanley

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
He’s the kind of player we needed. The others who went after him are equal or marginally better in some areas.
You’re not missing much. He has solid fundamentals and potential to be an impactful middle 6 player. Again, this is what we need.
This is and always will be a terrible way to build a team.

You can't draft for need because you don't know what you will need when the player (if ever) is ready.

What do you think his statline needs to be in order to be an impactful middle 6 winger?

Reactions: jhutter and DrEasy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad