Prospect Info: Tyler Boucher (F) - PART III

Status
Not open for further replies.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
Can't named anyone cause the list would be too long of people liking to complain over and over and over and over and over, etc... Like most of you could say we got your first "over" the first time why are you repeating yourself, we got it the first time.

It's because I like to complain over and over and over and over...

I know just some of Hfboards' posters will get me point and others will defend themself with saying over and over and over and over (I really get tired of repeating myself I don't know how some people do it. It's must be a genetic thing), that I only come here to complain about complainers. Funny thing you might be right but I use to comment more but I got tired of complainers.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Lol come on. You were so on the right track. Your comment at the end is just as anti-discussion as the people saying we should drop the critique and just focus on the good, though.

No one disagree's he's a bad pick, but if Boucher plays 500 games, he's not a bust. And if he's healthy, he should be able to hit that bench mark. Or do you think its a given that he is no more than a cup of coffee NHLer? How many games have you watched of his? From what I've seen, I don't see a guy who is sure-fire top 6 or even top 9, or even likely top 6 or top 9, but I definitely see a guy with the speed, strength, smarts, shot and sense to play an effective bottom 6 game.
I agree.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
When a pick gets roundly criticized at the time, and even the kid you draft is shocked that he went that early, that's a red flag. Add to that a wildly underwhelming D+1 season, and you have yourself a bad pick. Watching Sillinger playing for Canada at the Worlds was just salt in the wound. So yes, it was a bad pick, and when you look at Boucher's OHL stats it would take a miracle of Biblical proportions for him to turn it around and become an NHL regular. His stats look more like a kid who will end up playing at Carleton or Ottawa U in two years than one heading to the NHL.

My biggest criticism was our failure to trade up one spot. Dylan Guenther was sitting there at #9, and we have lots of draft assets at our disposal. We should have put a package together to switch spots with Arizona, and go get an impact player who had fallen into our range. Give Arizona two seconds in order to switch spots - whatever it takes. I find it hard to believe that a team like the Coyotes, who need the draft assets, would have declined. Guenther is a right hand shot, plays RW and can score - he would have filled a crying need in our prospect pool. The fact that we didn't even try to make this move deeply ticks me off...

Reactions: Leafshater67

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
When a pick gets roundly criticized at the time, and even the kid you draft is shocked that he went that early, that's a red flag. Add to that a wildly underwhelming D+1 season, and you have yourself a bad pick. Watching Sillinger playing for Canada at the Worlds was just salt in the wound. So yes, it was a bad pick, and when you look at Boucher's OHL stats it would take a miracle of Biblical proportions for him to turn it around and become an NHL regular. His stats look more like a kid who will end up playing at Carleton or Ottawa U in two years than one heading to the NHL.

My biggest criticism was our failure to trade up one spot. Dylan Guenther was sitting there at #9, and we have lots of draft assets at our disposal. We should have put a package together to switch spots with Arizona, and go get an impact player who had fallen into our range. Give Arizona two seconds in order to switch spots - whatever it takes. I find it hard to believe that a team like the Coyotes, who need the draft assets, would have declined. Guenther is a right hand shot, plays RW and can score - he would have filled a crying need in our prospect pool. The fact that we didn't even try to make this move deeply ticks me off...
I'm sure they tried, they knew there was a top 9 guys, along with a guy like Sillinger. Most teams likely had the same thoughts about that, and wouldn't trade back into a tier they considered worse.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
We need to complain over and over and over and over...again Because as a small budget team we can not afford a low pay head scout and we need to hire a major talent. To avoid first round hiccups like this going forward. And we need to invest in a major talent GM as well. It is unacceptable what is going on!

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I guess you don’t see what you don’t want to see.
Works the other way as well friend. I guess you see only what you want to see to support your notion of other posters on the board.

Perhaps I will just speak for myself when I say I don't come on to randomly trash Boucher - I am either replying to someone in particular or adding to the discussion in general. The fact I don't agree with the brighter side at the moment is just my stance based on what I have seen.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
I just want to be in a room and hear Mann's idiotic logic not to draft Sillinger. It has to be ironclad for Boucher to be drafted - top 10 for Sens over Sillinger.
With videos to support it, projections, stats, breakdowns in every category. Not acting on a hunch. It should not be a mickey mouse approach to a first round investment. When a drafted top 10 player, must make a top 6 and be at least 60 points productive during a regular season through out his career. Or be very close. Those are the criteriums the owner is asking a head scout. Are you sure you can deliver a 60 points hockey player with this guy? Are you sure?

Reactions: JungleBeat

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I just want to be in a room and hear Mann's idiotic logic not to draft Sillinger. It has to be ironclad for Boucher to be drafted - top 10 for Sens over Sillinger.
With videos to support it, projections, stats, breakdowns in every category. Not acting on a hunch. It should not be a mickey mouse approach to a first round investment. When a drafted top 10 player, must make a top 6 and be at least 60 points productive during a regular season through out his career. Or be very close. Those are the criteriums the owner is asking a head scout. Are you sure you can deliver a 60 points hockey player with this guy? Are you sure?
That’s a lot to ask from 10th overall range historically.

Reactions: GCK and guyzeur

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

The goal of a team isn't to load their top 9 with as much PPG type players as possible. It takes an elite, 2 way middle 6 to check and control teams in the playoffs. After PP1 and 2C guys like Nick Paul are way more important than Hoffman types. The Sens were trying to get an elite two way middle 6 player vs a 2RW, PP2 only type player.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
If we can't discuss Tyler Boucher (good or bad) in the Tyler Boucher thread of all places I'm not sure what the point of a discussion board is in all honesty. If you want sunshine and roses go hang out in the Tkachuk/Stutzle/Chabot threads, not much negativity going on in there these days.

It's not all bad with Boucher, but with the way he's tracking fans are understandably upset. I'll give Mann and co a bit of a benefit of the doubt here, as the explanation on radio made more sense to me than most around here, but some of us have also seen him play with our very own eyes and know he's not showing what a successful top-ten pick does at this stage of his career.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
It doesn’t matter much how he compares to guys like sillinger, they aren’t the finished products.
Different development paths. One might come out flying while the other works on details and takes his time catching up and possibly even surpassing others with similar potential.
You just have to give it time.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
It doesn’t matter much how he compares to guys like sillinger, they aren’t the finished products.
Different development paths. One might come out flying while the other works on details and takes his time catching up and possibly even surpassing others with similar potential.
You just have to give it time.

Absolutely. The kid definitely has time on his side.

That doesn't mean that fans can't be concerned/unhappy about his play this year. Different development trajectories aside, his play this year doesn't bode well for his future impact in the NHL. This would apply to any drafted player but is amplified by his selection at 10th OA.

Reactions: OD99

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Absolutely. The kid definitely has time on his side.

That doesn't mean that fans can't be concerned/unhappy about his play this year. Different development trajectories aside, his play this year doesn't bode well for his future impact in the NHL. This would apply to any drafted player but is amplified by his selection at 10th OA.

exactly, you can have patience and not like how things are trending. Its not mutually exclusive

No Sens fan wants him to bust. We hope things turn out, but also arent going to blindly worship every draft choice the Sens make.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Works the other way as well friend. I guess you see only what you want to see to support your notion of other posters on the board.

Perhaps I will just speak for myself when I say I don't come on to randomly trash Boucher - I am either replying to someone in particular or adding to the discussion in general. The fact I don't agree with the brighter side at the moment is just my stance based on what I have seen.
It does my man, indeed it does. I’m not looking for support though, I just get tired of the same thing posted over and over again, with guys making it seem like their actually arguing with people; they aren’t.

We all know it was a questionable pick. There is nothing left but to see how it pans out, why some folks work so hard to want to argue to the potential future negative is beyond me. As a Sens fan it almost compels me to defend my team, it’s sports after all, and I’ll take leaning towards defending over detracting every day of the week. Just fan vs fan BS at the end of the day regardless.

The brighter side in this particular situation as I see it is simply patience.

There is lots to be down about, but lots of time for things to turn around, and there are glimpses, along with a respected scouting staff to at least give hope until it runs out like it did for Brown.

Though I know you’re pretty vocal about being down on the pick, you weren’t exactly the archetype of the posts I was talking about by the way. My response meant that when you said no one was complaining, I feel like you may have missed a bunch of other folks posts along the way.

Anyhooo

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
exactly, you can have patience and not like how things are trending. Its not mutually exclusive

No Sens fan wants him to bust. We hope things turn out, but also arent going to blindly worship every draft choice the Sens make.
Why not, what has blind worship ever done to anyone??

If the Sens fanbase needs to work on one aspect of their fandom, it’s the ability to blindly defend their squad, especially to rival fans, instead of the clssic insecure self deprecation, masked as confident ‘realism’.

We need more cheerleaders and less Ottawa civil service. Hahaha :)

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Why not, what has blind worship ever done to anyone??

If the Sens fanbase needs to work on one aspect of their fandom, it’s the ability to blindly defend their squad, especially to rival fans, instead of the clssic insecure self deprecation, masked as confident ‘realism’.

We need more cheerleaders and less Ottawa civil service. Hahaha :)

depends on how the person is tho. Im not a cheerleader for anything I enjoy, just not in my makeup. In naturally a skeptical person because of how my life has been. You're different and thats great! Takes all kinds

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

There’s no worshipping. I watched him play live and saw games on tv. He was solid all around doing most things the right way along with being very powerful out there throwing big hits and making space for teammates. He was NOTICABLE for the right reasons. Nothing to go absolutely nuts jumping up and down about but no worrying signs. Other than low offensive numbers. It looks like that will come as soon as next year.
Again…..watch, enjoy with patience. He could be an important part of the team in the future. If he’s not then it’s not the end of the world.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
It does my man, indeed it does. I’m not looking for support though, I just get tired of the same thing posted over and over again, with guys making it seem like their actually arguing with people; they aren’t.

why some folks work so hard to want to argue to the potential future negative is beyond me. .
Just to put it out there - both sides do this. Do you see how much effort goes in to the positive outlook?

To me the more negative folks have a story that says Boucher is physical but not so physical he can be a productive NHLer unless his offensive contributions skyrocket.

The positive folks say his physical play is at such a high level that even if his offensive contributions remain static he will be an impact player and then list why they think so.

It's odd to me that either side should be singled out. Both sides feel THEY are being reasonable and have arguments to back it up so the discussion continues.

Generally discussion has been very respectful as well, which I take as a net positive here.

And hey, so far it is at least contained in this thread! Sometimes discussion about a single player can find it's way in to almost every thread, even when you are positive it has nothing to do with the discussion!

Reactions: Ice-Tray

R We A Team

Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Ottawa
ahh I get it... do as I say not as I do, and no I'm not Ice Level.

Bitch away, I mean how many different ways and how many times can you say I don't like the pick?

Amazing how when things don't go exactly as the hive mind wants everyone else is an idiot who should immediately tow the line. If you dare to step outside the "group think" expect them to ridicule your opinion. When its shown that the "group" was wrong its brushed aside as if nothing happened.

How many pages of Dorion is an idiot because he drafted... yet I don't see threads made to say Dorion was right because he drafted...

Are these same people who are going on and on and on about what a bad pick this is, going to make a thread to say how wrong they were if he does make it? Will you go on and on and on about how good a pick it was?? I'm pretty sure there will be PLENTY more pages of "Boucher Sucks" and "Dorion Sucks" if he doesn't.

Since I'm not from the future I have no idea whether or not he will turn out, but until the future actually gets here what's the harm in my hoping that he does?? Why does it bother the naysayers so much that some want him to succeed? I mean why else would you continually post the same song and dance unless it bothered you that someone didn't agree?

Personally, I have no skin in this, so to go onto a message board every day to say the exact same thing seems...

Sorry for the rant//

Reactions: PlayersLtd

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
ahh I get it... do as I say not as I do, and no I'm not Ice Level.

Bitch away, I mean how many different ways and how many times can you say I don't like the pick?

Amazing how when things don't go exactly as the hive mind wants everyone else is an idiot who should immediately tow the line. If you dare to step outside the "group think" expect them to ridicule your opinion. When its shown that the "group" was wrong its brushed aside as if nothing happened.

How many pages of Dorion is an idiot because he drafted... yet I don't see threads made to say Dorion was right because he drafted...

Are these same people who are going on and on and on about what a bad pick this is, going to make a thread to say how wrong they were if he does make it? Will you go on and on and on about how good a pick it was?? I'm pretty sure there will be PLENTY more pages of "Boucher Sucks" and "Dorion Sucks" if he doesn't.

Since I'm not from the future I have no idea whether or not he will turn out, but until the future actually gets here what's the harm in my hoping that he does?? Why does it bother the naysayers so much that some want him to succeed? I mean why else would you continually post the same song and dance unless it bothered you that someone didn't agree?

Personally, I have no skin in this, so to go onto a message board every day to say the exact same thing seems...

Sorry for the rant//
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but my read on this is that you're taking criticisms of Boucher's game a little too much to heart. I think we'd all be elated to see him succeed, and I think we're all hoping he does. Skepticism that he will doesn't preclude that hope.

R We A Team

Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Ottawa
Close but actually what I take to heart is the constant criticism. Not just Boucher but everything Sens related has to be bad, for some reason no optimism seems to be encouraged. Seems that if you say something nice well be prepared to face the outraged.

This is a few years of frustration with the negative always being front and center coming out... been biting my tongue for a while now so not sure why I picked today or this topic to rant on but I would guess it boils down to...

This fan base seems to need a whipping boy and for some reason through no fault of his Boucher has been given that honor.

I am of the opinion that judging teenagers is a fools business to begin with so to make one a whipping boy seems kinda cruel and unnecessary at this point.

Not saying he or any other prospect is above criticism or without concerns however shouldn't a couple of posts pretty much tell everyone how you feel? why repeat every other post?

Anyhow i'm repeating myself now so back to the closet I go. Might pop my head out again at the draft just to see heads explode again and again and again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad