Prospect Info: Tyler Boucher (F) - PART III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
depends on how the person is tho. Im not a cheerleader for anything I enjoy, just not in my makeup. In naturally a skeptical person because of how my life has been. You're different and thats great! Takes all kinds
I hear you for sure!

I had a lot of downs in my formative years, so focusing on the bright side, or even simple hope, becomes a survival or perhaps sanity mechanism. Seems like it became a permanent part of my make up, as did your skepticism!

I was mostly trying to be a bit cheeky/funny in my post about cheerleaders, though I agree that there is lots of variety out there in terms of people :)

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Close but actually what I take to heart is the constant criticism. Not just Boucher but everything Sens related has to be bad, for some reason no optimism seems to be encouraged. Seems that if you say something nice well be prepared to face the outraged.

This is a few years of frustration with the negative always being front and center coming out... been biting my tongue for a while now so not sure why I picked today or this topic to rant on but I would guess it boils down to...

This fan base seems to need a whipping boy and for some reason through no fault of his Boucher has been given that honor.

I am of the opinion that judging teenagers is a fools business to begin with so to make one a whipping boy seems kinda cruel and unnecessary at this point.

Not saying he or any other prospect is above criticism or without concerns however shouldn't a couple of posts pretty much tell everyone how you feel? why repeat every other post?

Anyhow i'm repeating myself now so back to the closet I go. Might pop my head out again at the draft just to see heads explode again and again and again...
The adversity Tyler Boucher has faced over the years is well documented. This year it reached a tipping point with depression at BU, COVID twice, untimely injuries, isolation, new team, home town boy etc... Now that it's all behind him he enters summer as a whipping boy. He's 18 and hasn't even been to a rookie camp yet. Boy, he sure is lucky to have us...

I am absolutely convinced that this guy has the determination combined with the raw talent to prove everyone wrong and come out on top. If you read deeper and watch closely you gotta feel that he's going to overcome this bs.

One day in the playoffs David Amber is going to introduce an intermission feature on how tough of a road it's been for him and with piano notes in the background it will talk about perseverance, hope and drowning out the noise. Then it's going to fade out to a raucous CTC crowd and focus in on Boucher lining up to start the third.

Good times are ahead and I'm convinced that he is going to be part of it.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
The adversity Tyler Boucher has faced over the years is well documented. This year it reached a tipping point with depression at BU, COVID twice, untimely injuries, isolation, new team, home town boy etc... Now that it's all behind him he enters summer as a whipping boy. He's 18 and hasn't even been to a rookie camp yet. Boy, he sure is lucky to have us...

I am absolutely convinced that this guy has the determination combined with the raw talent to prove everyone wrong and come out on top. If you read deeper and watch closely you gotta feel that he's going to overcome this bs.

One day in the playoffs David Amber is going to introduce an intermission feature on how tough of a road it's been for him and with piano notes in the background it will talk about perseverance, hope and drowning out the noise. Then it's going to fade out to a raucous CTC crowd and focus in on Boucher lining up to start the third.

Ridiculous isn’t it that “the noise” includes half the posters on this “fan” forum.
Even still people here are posting about the extreme positive vs the extreme negative take on his play/potential.
My point is that we have to WAIT AND SEE. Give the guy a chance.
I’m against the negative posts because they don’t help one bit and it’s too early anyway. The positive posts may be premature too but at least they don’t hurt any.
The guy is an Ottawa senator and people are posting how bad of a pick it was before he’s even arrived.
I’m done wasting my time on this pointless debate.
I’ve seen him play live and he excited me. He was very good and I’m looking forward to seeing what he can do for us in the future.

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
It’s not a sign of a “toxic fans” to be upset about this pick. They took a major reach, drafting a 3rd rounder in the top 10 who even he, himself seemed shocked to be drafted that high.

He projects as a bottom 6, third liner at best too. His d+1 year was also pretty bad..

There isn’t any real logical points to defend this pick. If they felt the bottom 6 needed a boost so bad, they should have reached for him and drafted him in round 2. Instead, they passed on a lot of guys for a guy who’s ceiling is bottom 6 and isn’t NHL ready yet.

It’s okay to criticize bad decisions.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
It’s not a sign of a “toxic fans” to be upset about this pick. They took a major reach, drafting a 3rd rounder in the top 10 who even he, himself seemed shocked to be drafted that high.

He projects as a bottom 6, third liner at best too. His d+1 year was also pretty bad..

There isn’t any real logical points to defend this pick. If they felt the bottom 6 needed a boost so bad, they should have reached for him and drafted him in round 2. Instead, they passed on a lot of guys for a guy who’s ceiling is bottom 6 and isn’t NHL ready yet.

He probably wasn’t going to be to available at 37 or wherever there 2ND RD pick was. They need to get a lot tougher … the delta between the chance of success in the NHL between a 10OA and a 30th OA isn’t that big.

You can’t just say take him with your next pick because you can’t ensure he will be there than you’re passing the need for power/toughness onto another year. Their competitive window (2-3 years) is coming and the 2021 pick needs a few years to develop . Even this years (2022) pick won’t help with that type of physicality so your left waiting for 2023? Plus development time or grabbing the next Austin Watson which isn’t a real solution.

Ridley Greig didn’t make team Canada’s u20 team in his d+1 season either.

Last edited:
Reactions: edguy

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
He probably wasn’t going to be to available at 37 or wherever there 2ND RD pick was. They need to get a lot tougher … the delta between the chance of success in the NHL between a 10OA and a 30th OA isn’t that big.

You can’t just say take him with your next pick because you can’t ensure he will be there than you’re passing the need for power/toughness onto another year. Their competitive window (2-3 years) is coming and the 2021 pick needs a few years to develop . Even this years (2022) pick won’t help with that type of physicality so your left waiting for 2023? Plus development time or grabbing the next Austin Watson which isn’t a real solution.

Ridley Greig didn’t make team Canada’s u20 team in his d+1 season either.
Ridley Grieg was invited to the camp and had to leave because he caught Covid. Not similar to Boucher not being invited to camp whatsoever, not is there any relevance.

Boucher will play a part on their team this year for sure, the USNDTP kids all make their mark in the tournament.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Ridley Grieg was invited to the camp and had to leave because he caught Covid. Not similar to Boucher not being invited to camp whatsoever, not is there any relevance.

Boucher will play a part on their team this year for sure, the USNDTP kids all make their mark in the tournament.

He wasn’t making it anyway…. It was well known and discussed that he was on the outside looking in that year.

One year later he slots in as a bottom 6F which is probably a similar role Boucher plays in 2023 and the “I’m smarter than Dorion, Dorion’s an idot) noise starts to clam down re: Boucher. Like it did for the EK trade, Hamonic trade and it will soon for Stone. Bouchers is just the low hanging fruit if you want something to B*tch about.

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
He wasn’t making it anyway…. It was well known and discussed that he was on the outside looking in that year.

One year later he slots in as a bottom 6F which is probably a similar role Boucher plays in 2023 and the “I’m smarter than Dorion, Dorion’s an idot) noise starts to clam down re: Boucher. Like it did for the EK trade, Hamonic trade and it will soon for Stone. Bouchers is just the low hanging fruit if you want something to B*tch about.
You're the one who is writing in bad faith

Grieg not making Team Canada, where he was held out of camp a week in because of Covid, while being invited in a year where there were 6+ players who wouldn't usually be there because of no NHL season, is in no way relevant whatsoever to Boucher not making the US camp this year, nor him making it next year. They are independant events that have zero corrolation to anything whatsoever.

They aren't related, and they don't have any connection other than saying "Greig never made it either, and everyone loves him".

Well, yeah, Greig was up for a role last year and he was extremely impressive in his 18 year old season.

Of course Boucher will be on the team, it's going to be one of the weakest US WJ teams in recent memory. The only guys drafted in the top 3 rounds in 2021 they have eligible up front are Boucher, Lucius and Pastujov. Boucher could very well get a spot in the top 6 because the team is going to be littered with 18 year olds.

All of Cooley, Nazar, McGroaty, Howard, Gauthier, Hughes, Snuggard and Ingram are going to have big roles on the team next year because of the lack of guys available in the 2021 class. Boucher will get a spot on a wing on a top 3 line in all likelihood, it's a great year for Boucher as there is very little competition.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
You're the one who is writing in bad faith

Grieg not making Team Canada, where he was held out of camp a week in because of Covid, while being invited in a year where there were 6+ players who wouldn't usually be there because of no NHL season, is in no way relevant whatsoever to Boucher not making the US camp this year, nor him making it next year. They are independant events that have zero corrolation to anything whatsoever.

They aren't related, and they don't have any connection other than saying "Greig never made it either, and everyone loves him".

Well, yeah, Greig was up for a role last year and he was extremely impressive in his 18 year old season.

Of course Boucher will be on the team, it's going to be one of the weakest US WJ teams in recent memory. The only guys drafted in the top 3 rounds in 2021 they have eligible up front are Boucher, Lucius and Pastujov. Boucher could very well get a spot in the top 6 because the team is going to be littered with 18 year olds.

All of Cooley, Nazar, McGroaty, Howard, Gauthier, Hughes, Snuggard and Ingram are going to have big roles on the team next year because of the lack of guys available in the 2021 class. Boucher will get a spot on a wing on a top 3 line in all likelihood, it's a great year for Boucher as there is very little competition.

All good - I’ve played this game with you before re your opinions only to have them proven wrong.

Grieg wasn’t making that team. You will think what you want.

The point is neither Greig or Boucher were making the D+1 teams and they will both probably make their D+2 teams in middle 6 roles.

This anti Boucher narrative will turn in 6 months on schedule in the meantime the Dorion haters will do their hate thing.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
All good - I’ve played this game with you before re your opinions only to have them proven wrong.

Grieg wasn’t making that team. You will think what you want.

The point is neither Greig or Boucher were making the D+1 teams and they will both probably make their D+2 teams in middle 6 roles.

This anti Boucher narrative will turn in 6 months on schedule in the meantime the Dorion haters will do their hate thing.
The opinion is pointless, lazy, and framed in a way that suits your narrative

I don't think Grieg was making the team, I think equating a guy who got invited to an NHL littered team and got Covid to a guy who never got invited to camp on a much, much weaker team is naive at best

They are both playing for the same team you may have a point, but they are from different countries, at different ages, much different teams, in completely different tournament situations.

Dominic James (undrafted 19 year old) made the US team in a middle 6 winger role in his D+2 last year without making it in his D+1, that has the exact same relevance to Grieg and Boucher, which is none

Last edited:

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Ridiculous isn’t it that “the noise” includes half the posters on this “fan” forum.
Even still people here are posting about the extreme positive vs the extreme negative take on his play/potential.
My point is that we have to WAIT AND SEE. Give the guy a chance.
I’m against the negative posts because they don’t help one bit and it’s too early anyway. The positive posts may be premature too but at least they don’t hurt any.
The guy is an Ottawa senator and people are posting how bad of a pick it was before he’s even arrived.
I’m done wasting my time on this pointless debate.
I’ve seen him play live and he excited me. He was very good and I’m looking forward to seeing what he can do for us in the future.
It's the only point worth subscribing to for any rational fan who actually wants this team to succeed. I think back to the USNDP summer showcase where he looked like a man amongst boys. No reason not be be hopeful that a kid who's development has been completely railroaded by all manner of setbacks can't make his top end play the rule and not the exception.

Reactions: Icelevel

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008

Can we stop with the 3rd rounder stuff? Just because a couple online scouts had him ranked low doesn't make him a 3rd rounder, nor does it prove that he would have been available then.

I can write an article and say Shane Wright is a 2nd round prospect. Does that make it so? Obviously not, but, because it's now out there, people can point to it and say that it is true.

I get you're trying to make a point, but make a better one, because it was never true, and it's really not true anymore because if you look at the draft, he's literally a 1st round player now. Nothing you say is going to ever change that.

Reactions: R We A Team

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
It's the only point worth subscribing to for any rational fan who actually wants this team to succeed. I think back to the USNDP summer showcase where he looked like a man amongst boys. No reason not be be hopeful that a kid who's development has been completely railroaded by all manner of setbacks can't make his top end play the rule and not the exception.
A fan who isn’t a wide-eyed optimist can still be rational and want the team to succeed. There is NOTHING wrong with critical thought.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
A fan who isn’t a wide-eyed optimist can still be rational and want the team to succeed. There is NOTHING wrong with critical thought.
Of course not. There is something wrong with persistent and pervasive negativity however. Granted some of the reasonable glass half empty posters get lumped in with that but that seems to be the unfortunate consequence of the toxicity this fan base is demonstrating.

Reactions: R We A Team

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
There are a LOT of posters in here that seem to have a very inflated sense of their opinions on this board.

"We" are part of the problem? You really think if you root for a player hard enough and believe in him enough on HF that it has ANY impact at all?

You really think Boucher specifically is reading this forum and basing his mood on what he reads? Any athlete these days is taught to not give online comments a moments notice let alone the fact there are LOADS of other sources of information out there so the odds of them reading even 1 word on here incredibly small.

Give your heads a shake, let everyone have their own opinion and stop taking it all so personally.

Hope Boucher is having a great off season, has spectacular dev and rookie camps and then blows away the OHL and WJs and finishes with a great showing in the AHL when his junior season is over. I will be more than happy to also come on here and formally state that I misread his potential if that time comes. Because why not?

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Can we stop with the 3rd rounder stuff? Just because a couple online scouts had him ranked low doesn't make him a 3rd rounder, nor does it prove that he would have been available then.

I can write an article and say Shane Wright is a 2nd round prospect. Does that make it so? Obviously not, but, because it's now out there, people can point to it and say that it is true.

I get you're trying to make a point, but make a better one, because it was never true, and it's really not true anymore because if you look at the draft, he's literally a 1st round player now. Nothing you say is going to ever change that.

Makes you wonder if Columbus fans constantly refer to Chinakhov as a 7th rounder.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Of course not. There is something wrong with persistent and pervasive negativity however. Granted some of the reasonable glass half empty posters get lumped in with that but that seems to be the unfortunate consequence of the toxicity this fan base is demonstrating.
What toxicity? A negative opinion (based on viewings/stats) on an Internet forum is now toxic? How delicate are we?

Nobody is in here tearing the kid down, or being vulgar, derogatory, etc...He had bad stats in a season he would have expected to have very good stats and shockingly some posters feel he may not progress as hoped yet this has been twisted into so many other things.

How about the rainbow crew let's it go too? You say good things, other don't...big freaking deal.

Reactions: Laphroaig

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008

1655221420062.png

• Haha
Reactions: Agent Zuuuub

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Sure, but that’s a self given title you have to understand.

I wouldn’t call much of the negativity in here ‘critical thought’ because most of it isn’t rooted in logic. Consider that people are still angry that Boucher may not be a top 6 talent, eventhough it has been shown time and time again that it is unlikely that ANY player picked there would become that over the history of the draft. Critical thought would lead you to the conclusion that you have to wait and see how the player turns out, and that any prognostications are just guesses at this point depending on your point of view. If a player picked at 10 becomes an everyday NHLer, that is a solid pick given the odds.

I think the positions people take in here are general reflections of who they are as people. Positive, negative, noncommittal. Then there is the bet hedging to the negative. Some folks can avoid personal emotional loss by always going negative so that they will forever be ‘right’ or ‘pleasantly surprised’ it’s a win-win!

Anyways, I am of a mind that being a sports fan is ridiculous and far from ‘rational’ behaviour at its foundation, it’s silly and pointless in the grand scheme of things, and we have made people get obscenely rich for playing a game. Who is the smartest and most rational fool is the title we debate over in here :)

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Bad pick. Hopefully Boucher turns it around and becomes a useful player for the Sens,

Saying "we can't criticize the pick because we need to see what Boucher becomes" is just a roundabout defense of the pick. The mental gymnastics that go on around here sometimes...

If you think it was a good pick then cool. I disagree but everyone is entitled to their opinion. But stand behind your position instead of trying to fence sit while chiding other posters.
Right now it's a bad pick but there is still time to see if he turns into something. But regardless with a new draft coming up it's time to move on rather than repeating the same message over and over again.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I wouldn’t call much of the negativity in here ‘critical thought’ because most of it isn’t rooted in logic. Consider that people are still angry that Boucher may not be a top 6 talent, eventhough it has been shown time and time again that it is unlikely that ANY player picked there would become that over the history of the draft. Critical thought would lead you to the conclusion that you have to wait and see how the player turns out, and that any prognostications are just guesses at this point depending on your point of view. If a player picked at 10 becomes an everyday NHLer, that is a solid pick given the odds.

I think the positions people take in here are general reflections of who they are as people. Positive, negative, noncommittal. Then there is the bet hedging to the negative. Some folks can avoid personal emotional loss by always going negative so that they will forever be ‘right’ or ‘pleasantly surprised’ it’s a win-win!

Anyways, I am of a mind that being a sports fan is ridiculous and far from ‘rational’ behaviour at its foundation, it’s silly and pointless in the grand scheme of things, and we have made people get obscenely rich for playing a game. Who is the smartest and most rational fool is the title we debate over in here :)
Critical thought might have you compare the success rate of similar prospects to Boucher developing into successful NHL players to the success rate of comparible alternative options at 10. Taking a wait and see approach isn't exercizing critical thought evaluating a pick it's opting out of the process.

It's fine if you'd rather not get down on a pick when there's still time to turn things around or for alternative option that look good now to bust over the long haul. It's fine if you think that because 10 but to suggest others who are willing to take an opinion on the matter aren't exercizing critical thought is a wee bit too condescending for my liking.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Cosmix and OD99

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015

its not about being negative its about being realistic. i did not know that to be a proper fan you need to be ignorant and incapable of thinking for yourself.

these kinds of posts are so weird.

• Love
Reactions: OD99

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
I've withheld my opinion on Boucher for a while because it is apparently unpopular, but I like Tyler Boucher and am excited for him as a prospect.

Was he a bit of a reach at 10? You can make that case, but he was gonna go in the first round, its not like we picked him 60 picks too early like some imply.

He had a tough D+1 season, yes. But he also had alot of setbacks this year. Including making the realization the OHL was a better development path for him and getting injured.

He has an exciting skillset that if he can put it all together, he will be a very valuable asset for us.

I am excited for him with the 67s next year, he will have a bit of stability for the first time since he was drafted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad