Prospect Info: Tyler Boucher (F) - PART III

Status
Not open for further replies.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
A guy taken that high, who is that much bigger and stronger than all the others, unable to produce on the 67’s is troublesome, at best.

Beck was taken 168th in the same draft and is more than doubling Boucher’s production with 1.23ppg compared to Boucher’s 0.61ppg.

He never played anywhere last year, he has the same excuse as Boucher not getting plying time last year.

Producing in the CHL is the absolute bare minimum for NHL draft picks, it’s not something you need to adjust to.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
So 0 points again I guess?

Hard to believe he has so many tools and can look so dominating but he can't help on the scoresheet.

BTW Fisher scored 41 goals and had 106 points in his 18 year old season.

I'm going to get labeled a hater but I wish everyone would stop talking about how great he looks and how he has an NHL shot. If he did he would be scoring goals, end of story.

It doesn't matter how many thunderous hits he makes or that he has had to drop the gloves in junior. If he can't be in the right position to put up points at this level he will be chasing the game in higher levels and even his physical play won't come to bear.

I would think the Senators are disappointed in what he has been able to do with the 67s and have serious concerns for his ceiling.
You wish people would stop talking about what they see when they watch him play on a message board and in the particular thread about the player. Thats a pretty tall ask lol.

Reactions: Dionysus

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
You wish people would stop talking about what they see when they watch him play on a message board and in the particular thread about the player. Thats a pretty tall ask lol.
Hahaha...not the best look I can see.

More of the constant tire pumping. It reminds me of when he first came to the 67s and we were getting Twitter highlights of him making a standard body check or having a shot stopped by the goalie and getting excited about it.

Talk sure but it is still crazy how the most basic plays he makes get blow out of proportion. If he breaks out next year then awesome but until then let's at least talk about what is actually happening.

Last edited:

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
So 0 points again I guess?

Hard to believe he has so many tools and can look so dominating but he can't help on the scoresheet.

BTW Fisher scored 41 goals and had 106 points in his 18 year old season.

I'm going to get labeled a hater but I wish everyone would stop talking about how great he looks and how he has an NHL shot. If he did he would be scoring goals, end of story.

It doesn't matter how many thunderous hits he makes or that he has had to drop the gloves in junior. If he can't be in the right position to put up points at this level he will be chasing the game in higher levels and even his physical play won't come to bear.

I would think the Senators are disappointed in what he has been able to do with the 67s and have serious concerns for his ceiling.

the funny part is that some people argue that its not a big deal because his game is better suited to playing against men and pros rather than kids

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Why are we not allowed to pump the tires of our prospects on the prospect’s thread of our hockey team though?

What is the worst possible outcome of being high on a young kid and looking for positives in his game, or finding ways to project an NHL quality player?

This is a board for Ottawa Senators fans, and some of those fans like what Boucher brings, and are hopeful that he can make a positive impact on the big team.

Tempering expectations kind of takes away from one of the main joys of being a fan in my opinion. Being a sports fan is a pretty safe place to let your hopes run wild and free, since the let downs, while frequent for most teams, don’t have many or any real world consequences.

Let people pump away and be happy and hopeful I say. We’ll all be right or wrong one way or another in the end, and it still won’t really matter in the least.

There are no rewards for being right in here, and no punishments for being wrong, beyond that hug or high five you give yourself in the mirror ;)

Reactions: guyzeur

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Pretty obvious to me he's a bust, or at least a bust for a 10th overall pick.

Kid's probably gonna be a mediocre third/fourth liner at best.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
He’s just a bit behind in development where he should be that’s all.
He’s not going to be a superstar.
He’s going to be very good and useful for us.
He’s just progressing a bit slower.
I think he’ll get better relative to his competitors as he graduates leagues.

Again, the lack of production looks to be more due to comfort level and positioning.
Nothing to worry about. He’s not a “bust”.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Pretty obvious to me he's a bust, or at least a bust for a 10th overall pick.

Kid's probably gonna be a mediocre third/fourth liner at best.

It's not looking like a wise draft pick at this time; however, I am waiting for another year or two before using "bust" as an adjective for the pick. I hope he does well and becomes an NHL player.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
He’s just a bit behind in development where he should be that’s all.
He’s not going to be a superstar.
He’s going to be very good and useful for us.
He’s just progressing a bit slower.
I think he’ll get better relative to his competitors as he graduates leagues.

Again, the lack of production looks to be more due to comfort level and positioning.
Nothing to worry about. He’s not a “bust”.
From a production standpoint he is about one year behind Tom Wilson in terms of development.
In his draft year Wilson's production was:
49 GP 9 G 18 A 27 PTS

He then followed that up in his D+1 season with the following production:
48 GP 23 G 35 A 58 PTS

Boucher will play his final regular season game of the season today and so far his production is:
23 GP 7 G 7 A 14 PTS

Wilson also had more reputable players on his team at the time including multiple first round picks. In his draft year his team had Stefan Noesen (21 OA, 2011), Rickard Rakell (30 OA, 2011), J.T. Miller (15 OA, 2011). Then in his D+1 season he still had Noesen and Rakell as well as Ryan Hartman (30 OA, 2013) and his team acquire Vincent Trocheck (64 OA, 2011) part way through the season. In his draft season 9 players on his team had 45 or more points and in his D+1 season 10 players had 44 or more points. The current 67's roster has two players with 44 or more points, which could be expanded to 3 with Beck at 43 points.

Reactions: Cosmix

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Things that didn't age well:

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
the funny part is that some people argue that its not a big deal because his game is better suited to playing against men and pros

Why are we not allowed to pump the tires of our prospects on the prospect’s thread of our hockey team though?

What is the worst possible outcome of being high on a young kid and looking for positives in his game, or finding ways to project an NHL quality player?

This is a board for Ottawa Senators fans, and some of those fans like what Boucher brings, and are hopeful that he can make a positive impact on the big team.

Tempering expectations kind of takes away from one of the main joys of being a fan in my opinion. Being a sports fan is a pretty safe place to let your hopes run wild and free, since the let downs, while frequent for most teams, don’t have many or any real world consequences.

Let people pump away and be happy and hopeful I say. We’ll all be right or wrong one way or another in the end, and it still won’t really matter in the least.

There are no rewards for being right in here, and no punishments for being wrong, beyond that hug or high five you give yourself in the mirror ;)
Nobody is trying to tell anyone what to do or fan how they want to fan...there is 1 person on here who has a monopoly on that.

I prefer my fandom to be rooted in reality hence why I am dubious this pick works out and I am commenting on how unique this player is in that marginal plays seem to create excitement. That is great for anyone who wants to see those as building blocks for a massive turn around.

I like happy endings so here is to Boucher blossoming next season and earning all the hope.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012

Pumping will be allowed if it warrants it. This ain't it.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Nobody is trying to tell anyone what to do or fan how they want to fan...there is 1 person on here who has a monopoly on that.

I prefer my fandom to be rooted in reality hence why I am dubious this pick works out and I am commenting on how unique this player is in that marginal plays seem to create excitement. That is great for anyone who wants to see those as building blocks for a massive turn around.

I like happy endings so here is to Boucher blossoming next season and earning all the hope.
The general sentiment was probably the same when Wilson got drafted. Here is a highlight clip of his play that someone created just prior to the draft. It seems like footage that is consistent with your claims of "marginal plays seem to create excitement"

Then here is Wilson getting drafted and you can listen to what the hockey analysts had to say:

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Ottawa Senators chief amateur scout Trent Mann believes his team knows more than everyone else when it comes to some of the draft picks it made over the weekend.

Do we need for Trent Mann to die or fired to hear from the local media how bad he was in amateur scouting. He brought NOTHING to the diner table. No bacon, no sh it. NOTHING!!!

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
If we are hoping for a Wilson like player, we’re going to be disappointed.

Wilson is a mammoth of a man, 6’4 and 225+ pounds.

The comparable for Boucher’s physical game isn’t a guy like Wilson, it’s a physical guy like Clutterbuck.

Teams know Clutterbuck throws tons of hits, but nobody is afraid of him like they are of Wilson.

Last edited:

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
It took 9 years for Tom Wilson to develop. Because you are sh*t for a high first rounder, if you do not do 50 points or more a season.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
If we are hoping for a Wilson like player, we’re going to be disappointed.

Wilson is a mammoth of a man, 6’4 and 225+ pounds.

The comparable for Boucher’s physical game isn’t a guy like Wilson, it’s a physical guy like Clutterbuck.

Teams know Clutterbuck throws tons of hits, but nobody is afraid of him like they are of Wilson.

Just because Boucher is not big like Wilson doesn't mean he can't hit to hurt. Doubtful Boucher will reach this level, but nobody risked putting their head down when Scott Stevens was on the ice. He was 6'0 200.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Just because Boucher is not big like Wilson doesn't mean he can't hit to hurt. Doubtful Boucher will reach this level, but nobody risked putting their head down when Scott Stevens was on the ice. He was 6'0 200.
Of course he can hit to hurt, that’s not what’s menacing about Wilson. Wilson can manhandle everyone in the league, save 1-2 guys because he’s a gigantic human being.

Boucher will hit and be a thorn in everyone’s side, but teams aren’t going to be afraid of him. He will have the Raffi Torres/Cal Cluttetbuck effect where guys will know he’s on the ice and know they are going to get hit, but he’s not going to have an on ice effect like Wilson does, he’s not a heavyweight.

If hitting were still regulated today like it was in the 90’s, Boucher would have a field day like Stevens did. Unfortunately, or fortunately I guess, those hits aren’t in the game anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: Icelevel

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Both those guys can play at a high level. Especially Stevens.
Boucher could become one of the hardest hitters in the game but his game has to improve to see that.

Wilson is an intimidating heavy weight that does more in the line of intimidation than just hit. Not a good comparison.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
The general sentiment was probably the same when Wilson got drafted. Here is a highlight clip of his play that someone created just prior to the draft. It seems like footage that is consistent with your claims of "marginal plays seem to create excitement"

Then here is Wilson getting drafted and you can listen to what the hockey analysts had to say:

Been addressed by multiple posters...not a great comparable.

Lindros hit hard too so...? Fingers crossed!

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
People want to judge and label the pick a bust etc.
hey people, patience.

This team needs a few things. One of them is a player like Boucher. Check

Last edited:

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
People want to judge and label the pick a bust etc.
hey people, patience.
Check out the poll.

The, "everyone says he's a bust" myth is fully disproven.

People are looking at facts and commenting accordingly. There is a small segment that want him to be so good so badly that every criticism is taken as writing him off.

Everyone wants him to be great but comments suggesting he will get better with every jump in competion, should be on a line with Brady/Norris, has a pro release and shot, etc...are ludicrous right now.

Our 10th overall, physically mature and dominant pick couldn't score at all in NCAA and can barely play at a .5PPG in the OHL now.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The “smartest guy in the room” gambles have to be with lower picks because you have to hit on your top picks when you get them or you just rise back up to the mediocre middle.

He may end up as a solid player but they left talent on the table IMO.

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
He's a mediocre OHLer. Let's see if he develops before checking any boxes.
I know by now when to be sure enough and when not to be. I’m putting my bet down and I can do that on this hockey forum with no stakes.

From stutzle Sanderson to tkachuk to zib to Dorion, I see some people just need more time and convincing.

Reality is that I’m usually right ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad