Prospect Info: Tyler Boucher (F) - PART III

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Warm up.
Boucher looks solid and powerful.
Roger is big. ;)
Merilainen is here (hope he’s starting. Assuming yes)

Also, Dorion sighting. I would have high fived him but he was in a conversation.
Looking forward to your report

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Boucher huuge hit. Then fight. Took some gave some.
But the hit..wow game on

Reactions: cudi

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Boucher huuge hit. Then fight. Took some gave some.
But the hit..wow game on
That was a huge hit by Boucher ... wow ... I initially thought he hit him when he was up against the boards but the replayed clearly showed he was about 3 feet from the boards before Boucher tried to put him through the boards. The fight looked one sided on TV with Boucher giving it to the guy but you're right on replay he also got some in but it was the other guy who needed to go for repairs. It seems he has become the 67s tough guy.

I would much rather have Boucher on our team than to watch him put our players through the boards & other than Tkachuk I'm not sure who else could fight him by the time he makes the NHL. He is just a rock solid player who is going to be very difficult to move from the front of the net, basically another Tkachuk, he just needs to show more offence. Matiere would be an interesting guy to trade for too.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The scouting process of creating their ranking of ~90 guys for the 2021 draft, of which Boucher was placed as a guy to take at 10th. Boucher’s play style and similarity to what the Sens are building made him more appealing to the Sens than he should have been. Every other team had the same draft parameters, and all had a much better draft process for 2021. Loads of guys played 50 game seasons, like Sillinger for example, and we still choose Boucher over him. There had to be a draft process in place to have him ranked higher, despite only seeing him play for 10 games and produce modestly. They had to have seen things they valued, and I believe that it was his play style and truculence, which I think would be an awful fault in the scouting process, a hope he can develop the offensive part of his game to go with his play style.

I think he’ll need to jump into a role similar to those guys entering the NHL, energy bottom 6 guys.

He can skate, but his skating isnt a + asset, it’s just that he’s a good skater.

He’s got NHL size, but he’s by no means big.

He can shoot the puck, but he’s not going to be scoring from distance at the NHL, he can’t even do that in the CHL yet. Stat watching is a terrible, terrible way to evaluate players, but guys who cannot produce in the CHL post draft almost universally never learn to produce at the NHL level.

I keep reading that he has all these great tools, but I’ve yet to see any of them in use other than his hitting in the 10ish games I’ve watched of his this year. He’s going to be a bull in a China shop, we know that he brings and will bring that.

I don’t think the difference between Kelly and Boucher at 18 is very different, and that’s part of the gigantic problem with one guy being a 10th overall and the other an undrafted free agent. Kelly was great defensively and put up 30g-30a at 18, Boucher is more physical, and is more of a project that we hope can develop skills he’s yet to have shown.

Boucher has nowhere to go but up, hopefully it starts in a week or two for the 67’s in the playoffs.
Kelly was actually a pretty smart player in Junior.. He did things with his brain as much as his physical traits.
He knows he has to play a specific energy role to make the bigs so thats what we are seeing now.

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
If Boucher can add a touch of speed he should be very dangerous. Powerful is the word

Reactions: aragorn

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
Think Roger hurt his leg a bit last period when he went into the boards hard. Keeps stretching his leg out. (?)
Aragorn, He’s looked good all game. Nothing fancy of course. Hard to evaluate until he gets a bit stronger.

4-0
Beck again.

Last edited:
Reactions: aragorn

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Not to be a downer, but the more I see the more concerned I get. The big hits are fun and I don't mean to discount his physicality, but most of the time I see a low-intensity winger who looks lost, who shows no chemistry with his line-mates and who seems content to let the play develop around him. You still notice him because of the pro tools, but you wonder why he can't accomplish more with those tools at this level.

Sens With Benefits

Feb 4, 2010
Canada
I’m not ready to label him a bust yet. Not even close. He’s a young man who’s still getting used to how big and strong he is. It takes time for bigger players to figure it out sometimes.

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
I won’t further summarize the game but I’ll say that I wasn’t down on Boucher at all before the live viewing. I knew he had excellent tools.
And after seeing him live I’m even more excited about his potential. He is further along than I thought. Very good in most areas and stood out among the rest (partially because I was focused on him but also tried comparing him with the others.) Middle six impact player incoming.

If we’re looking at ex senators Mike Fisher(underrated imo) in a lot of ways might not be a bad comparison the way he does everything with strength and explosiveness and can out muscle just about anyone. NHL shooting, passing a question mark for now but nothing concerning was on display yesterday.
More confidence & on ice positioning, and continued overall development and look out.

Last edited:

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I won’t further summarize the game but I’ll say that I wasn’t down on Boucher at all before the live viewing. I knew he had excellent tools.
And after seeing him live I’m even more excited about his potential. He is further along than I thought. Very good in most areas and stood out among the rest (partially because I was focused on him but also tried comparing him with the others.) Middle six impact player incoming.

If we’re looking at ex senators Mike Fisher(underrated imo) in a lot of ways might not be a bad comparison the way he does everything with strength and explosiveness and can out muscle just about anyone. NHL shooting, passing a question mark for now but nothing concerning was on display yesterday.
More confidence & on ice positioning, and continued overall development and look out.
So 0 points again I guess?

Hard to believe he has so many tools and can look so dominating but he can't help on the scoresheet.

BTW Fisher scored 41 goals and had 106 points in his 18 year old season.

I'm going to get labeled a hater but I wish everyone would stop talking about how great he looks and how he has an NHL shot. If he did he would be scoring goals, end of story.

It doesn't matter how many thunderous hits he makes or that he has had to drop the gloves in junior. If he can't be in the right position to put up points at this level he will be chasing the game in higher levels and even his physical play won't come to bear.

I would think the Senators are disappointed in what he has been able to do with the 67s and have serious concerns for his ceiling.

bashbros32

Jan 12, 2014
Brockville, Ontario

Chris Neil scored 26 goals and 55 points in 59 games in his 18 year old season.

then replicated it with 26 goals and 72 points in 66 games in his 19 year old season.

can Boucher get to Chris Neil level of scoring in the OHL?

Right now in his 18 year old season he is on pace for 18 goals and 36 points in those 59 games. Maybe he breaks out next year in his 19 year old season?

are January birthdays eligible for AHL? or is it OHL only for Boucher?

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
So 0 points again I guess?

Hard to believe he has so many tools and can look so dominating but he can't help on the scoresheet.

I'm going to get labeled a hater but I wish everyone would stop talking about how great he looks and how he has an NHL shot. If he did he would be scoring goals, end of story.

It doesn't matter how many thunderous hits he makes or that he has had to drop the gloves in junior. If he can't be in the right position to put up points at this level he will be chasing the game in higher levels and even his physical play won't come to bear.

I would think the Senators are disappointed in what he has been able to do with the 67s and have serious concerns for his ceiling.
He has some nice tools. BUT ultimately, these tools will have to translate to points next season. I have watched several of his games and I hopeful for a breakout season in 2022-2023.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad