Prospect Info: Tyler Boucher (F) - PART III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
I know by now when to be sure enough and when not to be. I’m putting my bet down and I can do that on this hockey forum with no stakes.

From stutzle Sanderson to tkachuk to zib to Dorion, I see some people just need more time and convincing.

Reality is that I’m usually right ;)

Okay, Trent Mann.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
This should be one of those instances where we all agree and move on yet it seems there is a constant re-circling back to the same arguments over and over with regards to Tyler Boucher.

Allow me to break it down:

1. Boucher was a reach of a pick, and almost every Sens fan either went "who?" , "why?" or both. It was one of those moments where a highly ranked prospect falls into our lap at #10, but for some reason the team decides to go bold instead and pick Boucher.

2. Why go bold? That does not matter anymore, it is done, the pick is made and it is clear the Senators felt Boucher was a special pick that had way more potential than he has shown.

3. I have zero doubt he has disappointed not just the fans but especially management because I bet they expected more from him in his D+1 season. At this point they should be concerned about their off the wall pick BUT:

It is not too late. We can label him a bust, delayed, failing expectations, or whatever term you want to use but the bottom line is you just never know and at this point all we can do is wait and see what happens in a year or two.

Is Boucher looking like the "wrong" pick right now, yes nobody should deny that....but will he be considered the "wrong" pick in 5 years time?

To be determined.

Last edited:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Nobody is trying to tell anyone what to do or fan how they want to fan...there is 1 person on here who has a monopoly on that.

I prefer my fandom to be rooted in reality hence why I am dubious this pick works out and I am commenting on how unique this player is in that marginal plays seem to create excitement. That is great for anyone who wants to see those as building blocks for a massive turn around.

I like happy endings so here is to Boucher blossoming next season and earning all the hope.
Uh huh… I think we all know by now that ‘reality’ is subjective. Others like to wait a bit before the hot takes.

Regardless, it was you who was ‘wishing other fans would stop’ a behaviour you don’t like.

My post was a reminder to you that other folks can also be the kind of fans they want to be.

Your opinion on Boucher is well documented. If you don’t like people posting about what they see in his games with the 67’s, why not cruise on by.

Repeating your ‘reality’ over and over isn’t changing any opinions.

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Uh huh… I think we all know by now that ‘reality’ is subjective. Others like to wait a bit before the hot takes.

Regardless, it was you who was ‘wishing other fans would stop’ a behaviour you don’t like.

My post was a reminder to you that other folks can also be the kind of fans they want to be.

Your opinion on Boucher is well documented. If you don’t like people posting about what they see in his games with the 67’s, why not cruise on by.

Repeating your ‘reality’ over and over isn’t changing any opinions.
My reality on Boucher is the only one there is. Check stats from any site you like, they all say the same thing.

Don't worry, you qill still have the last word on how people should act I just choose to do my own thinking.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
My reality on Boucher is the only one there is. Check stats from any site you like, they all say the same thing.

Don't worry, you qill still have the last word on how people should act I just choose to do my own thinking.
Stats don’t “say” anything, of course everyone knows that…

I simply responded to your posted words chum, the ones where you told this thread what they should and shouldn’t do…

…And now the thread where you inform everyone that there is only one reality… yours.

Keep ‘em coming…

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
This is just my subjective take, but from what I've seen of Boucher's play and from the research that I've done I'm very confident that he will be the next Tom Wilson. I believe he will be as physically imposing and as intimidating and his production will be very similar. I like him as a prospect and while I appreciate the arguments questioning him being picked so high, I believe in the long run he will justify the selection,

I give serious consideration and reflection to the different perspectives on here, and I feel that some have made some compelling arguments, which I respect the effort put into making them, but I am still confident in my subjective assessment. It seems like it is a controversial take and one that a lot of people are in disagreement with, but I believe Boucher will be successful. Time will tell whether my subjective insights hold merit or whether I will be a fool for believing them, but I am willing to roll that dice.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
This is just my subjective take, but from what I've seen of Boucher's play and from the research that I've done I'm very confident that he will be the next Tom Wilson. I believe he will be as physically imposing and as intimidating and his production will be very similar. I like him as a prospect and while I appreciate the arguments questioning him being picked so high, I believe in the long run he will justify the selection,

I give serious consideration and reflection to the different perspectives on here, and I feel that some have made some compelling arguments, which I respect the effort put into making them, but I am still confident in my subjective assessment. It seems like it is a controversial take and one that a lot of people are in disagreement with, but I believe Boucher will be successful. Time will tell whether my subjective insights hold merit or whether I will be a fool for believing them, but I am willing to roll that dice.
Hope you’re right, but I don’t see any way that is happening, he isnt a heavyweight and can’t/won’t play the role Wilson does.

I don’t understand that comparison, they aren’t similar players whatsoever

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Hope you’re right, but I don’t see any way that is happening, he isnt a heavyweight and can’t/won’t play the role Wilson does.

I don’t understand that comparison, they aren’t similar players whatsoever

Our roster as constructed has very few players that can execute a body check on the forecheck that gives the opposition any reason to change their play. DJ has them hitting like crazy but that’s similar to Bradys shot totals from last year. Lots of soft contact from our guys, especially the entire 2-3 lines.

Beyond our first line the only player that delivers a decent hit is Watson and Kelly. Watson is gone soon.

Greig and Boucher should boost the strength of the 2-3 lines down the road.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Our roster as constructed has very few players that can execute a body check on the forecheck that gives the opposition any reason to change their play. DJ has them hitting like crazy but that’s similar to Bradys shot totals from last year. Lots of soft contact from our guys, especially the entire 2-3 lines.

Beyond our first line the only player that delivers a decent hit is Watson and Kelly. Watson is gone soon.

Absolutely, I’ve said loads of times in the past few pages that Boucher will be hitting everything, the same way a guy like Cal Clutterbuck hits everything.

He’s not going to be intimidating the opposition, or manhandling any single player on the ice the way Wilson can, which there is no shame in because nobody in the league can.

They will definitely know Boucher is playing, hitting is his main role and he will do it often.

Reactions: Icelevel

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Absolutely, I’ve said loads of times in the past few pages that Boucher will be hitting everything, the same way a guy like Cal Clutterbuck hits everything.

He’s not going to be intimidating the opposition, or manhandling any single player on the ice the way Wilson can, which there is no shame in because nobody in the league can.

Fair enough - I agree that he won’t be Wilson - I doubt anybody thinks he is … Wilson is almost too big/strong to play his game.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
So how many guys here actually can assess prospects and also have an unbiased view of the team? There's clearly lots of guys that start from the view point of "Dorion is an idiot, therefore ... " Should those views be counted? That theme, the Dorion is an idiot theme, has played out for years. Reality is that it is a competitive business, you both win and lose trades and you both hit and miss on picks. But if that's your starting point...is your view relevant?

I've read in this thread that Boucher is an average skater. There's an interview with Mann in Belleville referencing him as a powerful skater. Which is true? Who has more credentials? I'll post the link to the audio if anyone wants to hear it. It's on TSN.

Same clip Mann says he can really shoot. When Dorion drafted him, he actually said we like that he can score from outside the dots. That's a quote. That's two professionals stating this kid can shoot. All I've seen is clips that guys like @RAFI BOMB post, and ya I've seen him wire a few. I've asked several times on this board about that statement from Dorion. Guys just gloss over it.

So if the professionals say he can skate, shoot and hit...that kinda covers a lot of hockey.

I've never seen the kid play live. But I do remember what I read. I made a post about building blocks the other day. A guy like Sokolov needs to figure out how to skate at an NHL level. Boucher seems to have the critical building blocks. He's had a shitty year and there's no disputing that.

But if guys want to say he's not going to be an NHL player, how about talking about what he's missing because our guys are talking about him having some solid building blocks.

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
At this point, I think a fair comparison might be more Miles Wood. Boucher definitely passes the eye test watching him live in terms of skating and looking like a potential pro, but he is very focused on being physical without the puck, and is more of a lurker when his team has the puck, waiting for an opening or pass in space. This is very similar to Wood. Boucher likely has higher upside, but hopefully we don't rush him. Wood played for several seasons before going pro and you want him to put on another 10-15 pounds of muscle, another gear to his speed and develop confidence in his scoring.

And while it's still early, I don't think anyone can pretend this hasn't been disappointing. Watching Othmann hit 50 goals last night and play a similar style, I think most of us would be happy to swap out those picks if we could, knowing Othmann would still fit into the feisty Sens mold management is looking for. But again, 22 games with the 67s, a team that has a tough time scoring, is not something to draw overly definitive judgements on. We can let him bake for a few years and see what we get.

c_mak

Jan 15, 2004
Waterloo
Reading through these debates, takes, and descriptions, Boucher sounds a little like Jordin Tootoo. Worthy of a first round selection dunno. Good guy to have on your team, I think yes. Tootoo went in the 4th round. Not sure Boucher would have lasted that long.
This pick makes me nervous because it did not lineup with any of the pre-draft literature that was out there. I don't like the pick I think it was an example of the Sens being "too cute" with a side of "we know better". Still it is keeping me interested.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
So how many guys here actually can assess prospects and also have an unbiased view of the team? There's clearly lots of guys that start from the view point of "Dorion is an idiot, therefore ... " Should those views be counted? That theme, the Dorion is an idiot theme, has played out for years. Reality is that it is a competitive business, you both win and lose trades and you both hit and miss on picks. But if that's your starting point...is your view relevant?

I've read in this thread that Boucher is an average skater. There's an interview with Mann in Belleville referencing him as a powerful skater. Which is true? Who has more credentials? I'll post the link to the audio if anyone wants to hear it. It's on TSN.

Same clip Mann says he can really shoot. When Dorion drafted him, he actually said we like that he can score from outside the dots. That's a quote. That's two professionals stating this kid can shoot. All I've seen is clips that guys like @RAFI BOMB post, and ya I've seen him wire a few. I've asked several times on this board about that statement from Dorion. Guys just gloss over it.

So if the professionals say he can skate, shoot and hit...that kinda covers a lot of hockey.

I've never seen the kid play live. But I do remember what I read. I made a post about building blocks the other day. A guy like Sokolov needs to figure out how to skate at an NHL level. Boucher seems to have the critical building blocks. He's had a shitty year and there's no disputing that.

But if guys want to say he's not going to be an NHL player, how about talking about what he's missing because our guys are talking about him having some solid building blocks.
He’s going to be an NHL player. Very easily. His skating and phtsicality combo basically make that a certainty.

What he isn’t able to do, yet at the very least, is use those tools he has to effect the game outside of his hitting.

His hitting, absolutely top of the ladder in the CHL, likely is nobody better at hitting in any of the league’s. that’s a valuable player at the NHL level, usually a lower line guy, but a valuable player.

His skating is very good for a 200 pound forward for sure, he’s able to get around out there. He isn’t able to, in any of the games I’ve watched in the OHL or NCAA, find any soft areas on the ice, or get to the dead zones where he’d be able to use his shot.

His shot? It’s a decent shot, but much better or worse than any other drafted guy playing in the CHL right now? If you have an extremely good shot even compared to NHL drafted prospects, you’re going to score at the CHL level on 17 year old goalies who may never even get to the CIS. If his shot is good, which I think it is, he needs to find a way to actually use it effectively, because right now he isn’t getting any use out of it at the CHL level. I can name a lot of guys taken immediately after who I think has a much better shot.

He may have these tools, if he isn’t able to use them against 16-20 year old kids, majority of whom won’t get further than the CIS, I don’t see how he’s going to be able to develop those tools to use in the NHL at a high level.

His 19 year old season needs to be a huge breakout, not even the production which almost needs to triple, but his ability to use his tools to effect the game. Skating fast and hard is one thing, but if you’re skating fast and hard and not getting things done on either the offensive or defensive side, what’s the point of those tools?

I was perfectly fine with the choice of Boucher at the time of the draft, and said so in the thread a few times. It was a Covid year, teams may have been higher in certain guys, some guys may have been underscouted etc. and I hadn’t watched or paid attention to Boucher enough to be able to actually state one way or another what he was. After watching him play this year and able to actually evaluate why I see, it is honestly baffling to me how he was taken that high. He’s a long, long term project, who doesn’t have high end abilities other than hitting.

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
He’s going to be an NHL player. Very easily. His skating and phtsicality combo basically make that a certainty.

What he isn’t able to do, yet at the very least, is use those tools he has to effect the game outside of his hitting.

His hitting, absolutely top of the ladder in the CHL, likely is nobody better at hitting in any of the league’s. that’s a valuable player at the NHL level, usually a lower line guy, but a valuable player.

His skating is very good for a 200 pound forward for sure, he’s able to get around out there. He isn’t able to, in any of the games I’ve watched in the OHL or NCAA, find any soft areas on the ice, or get to the dead zones where he’d be able to use his shot.

His shot? It’s a decent shot, but much better or worse than any other drafted guy playing in the CHL right now? If you have an extremely good shot even compared to NHL drafted prospects, you’re going to score at the CHL level on 17 year old goalies who may never even get to the CIS. If his shot is good, which I think it is, he needs to find a way to actually use it effectively, because right now he isn’t getting any use out of it at the CHL level.

He may have these tools, if he isn’t able to use them against 16-20 year old kids, majority of whom won’t get further than the CIS, I don’t see how he’s going to be able to develop those tools to use in the NHL at a high level.

His 19 year old season needs to be a huge breakout, not even the production which almost needs to triple, but his ability to use his tools to effect the game. Skating fast and hard is one thing, but if you’re skating fast and hard and not getting things done on either the offensive or defensive side, what’s the point of those tools?

I was perfectly fine with the choice of Boucher at the time of the draft, and said so in the thread a few times. It was a Covid year, teams may have been higher in certain guys, some guys may have been underscored etc. and I hadn’t watched or paid attention to Boucher enough to be able to actually state one way or another what he was. After watching him play this year and able to actually evaluate why I see, it is honestly baffling to me how he was taken that high. He’s a long, long term project, who doesn’t have high end abilities other than hitting.
Appreciate the reply

So he has tools and his past two years have been pretty disrupted.

I think he needs some steady game time and some health. Both are needed to develop further. It's likely he also needs other players to play with that have the tools to develop what you're saying is missing. The 67s aren't exactly staffed with a roster full of budding NHL prospects.

Interesting you say he's not able to get to dead zones. That's something you see more frequently when trailing the play. If he's an NHL calibre skater, is he trailing the play to find those zones? Video will help him with that.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Don’t want to take the time to reply to everyone here but I’m reading a lot of bad takes.
You’ll all just have to wait and see. Talk in two years.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
So how many guys here actually can assess prospects and also have an unbiased view of the team? ...

I value the opinion of a number of posters on here, but the one who I put the most faith in is @BondraTime .... guy obviously has spent a ton of time watching and evaluating junior aged players.

EDIT - and I see that @BondraTime has given a very detailed evaluation of Boucher’s tools and potential.

Reactions: JD1

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I value the opinion of a number of posters on here, but the one who I put the most faith in is @BondraTime .... guy obviously has spent a ton of time watching and evaluating junior aged players.
Right. And read his perspective on Boucher. It starts with he's going to be an NHL player. I like his views as well, and note that I responded to him with the fact I appreciated his reply

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Stats don’t “say” anything, of course everyone knows that…

I simply responded to your posted words chum, the ones where you told this thread what they should and shouldn’t do…

…And now the thread where you inform everyone that there is only one reality… yours.

Keep ‘em coming…
LOL so easily triggered! Chill out man, you are getting too worked up. Or write a crazy long reply, you do you.

Stats are stats - I am not altering them or colouring them with my opinion. They pretty easily show he isn't scoring much.

Is there an alternate reality where the scoring stats are better? Please share those and we can discuss.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Right. And read his perspective on Boucher. It starts with he's going to be an NHL player. I like his views as well, and note that I responded to him with the fact I appreciated his reply
Yes I did just read it.

And only thing I’ll say on it, is that if Boucher needs to learn how to find dead zones so that he can effectively use his shot then well IMO, that is got to be a real source of optimism. Much, much easier to learn that skill than to learn to skate or shoot at an above average NHL level.

I will say though, I still play hockey with guys in their 30s who don’t know where to go on the ice when they don’t have the puck. Tremendously dumb guys, but yes there are people who never get it.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

EDIT - and I see that @BondraTime has given a very detailed evaluation of Boucher’s tools and potential.
Have definitely been involved with junior hockey for the better part of 20 years at some different levels and roles, have watched and followed a ton.

Show nearly every year I make just as many, if not more, bad assessments as I do good ones.

Would not be the first time I missed the mark on a player, and wouldn’t be the last.

Reactions: Cosmix

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Imagine having posters offer opinions on a message board whether they have any basis or not; with or without context, and that may oppose your particular views .. Shocking.

Saying Boucher is a powerful skater .. is not the same thing as saying he is a good skater. He is a powerful kid .. that's one of the first thing that stands out. He is not light on his feet. His stride is ok . His edge work is just ok. First 3 steps ok. A lot of ok (Average) but powerful.. Point is there are a lot of elements to evaluate skating .. When someone may have said Average the context of the evaluation may go beyond the element of Power which would score higher. Of course Mann would be able to break that down further than a 2 second sound bite where he absolutely would not be critical.

Having a hard shot.. a good shot is also another thing that can be broken down. Given the time and space to wire it Boucher can. What is his release like? Can he change his shooting angles.. Can he shoot it in close to his feet.. Can he one time it. Can he pick his spots. There are factors .. Those who have watched have seen Boucher can shoot it hard under conditions. He doesn't pile up shots and its not always a great shot .. so some people may say its Average again perhaps taking in more factors.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Pretty obvious to me he's a bust, or at least a bust for a 10th overall pick.

Kid's probably gonna be a mediocre third/fourth liner at best.
I think it’s too early to call him a bust BUT a head scratcher of a pick for sure and the early returns are far, far from promising.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

If Boucher was a late 1st or early 2nd that would be okay but 10th, ugh.

Reactions: Cosmix

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If Boucher was a late 1st or early 2nd that would be okay but 10th, ugh.
I agree, right now he seems to be trending towards a Clutterbuck type player on the high end, valuable player that I'll be thrilled to have on the team, and it's still possible that he becomes more than that. But at 10 OA, you want more than Clutterbuck imo.

I'll swing for another Chabot or a Barzal rather than take a surefire Clutterbuck at 10, even if it means ending up with a Logan Brown from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad