Prospect Info: Tyler Boucher (F) - PART III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
This year's Lawson Crouse would be great, at this point, for Boucher to turn into. For sure.

But some of these comparable players are just bizarre. Crouse? Wilson? These guys are huge and in Wilson's case he was fighting OHL heavyweights since age 16. Tyler Boucher is very physically mature and he's literally NHL league average in height and weight.

It's not really realistic, or fair, to expect Boucher to top out as a player like those guys.

Yeah not enough people are taking into consideration that he's listed at 6'1, 205lbs, which is pretty close to the league average size for forwards.

Hopefully he continues growing, but he's already got a man's body. Might just continue filling out and end up being a 6'1, 220lb thick boi like Deslauriers.

He can dominate junior players with his size right now but at the NHL level he's not going to be able to dominate NHLers in the same way like a Wilson because he's nowhere near as big.

Reactions: Cosmix

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
They got the donuts? Excellent....
Yeah not enough people are taking into consideration that he's listed at 6'1, 205lbs, which is pretty close to the league average size for forwards.

Not all 6'1" 205 lb players are the same. Chris Neil was 6'1" 209 and he was far from the league average when it came to being a physical presence even without dropping his gloves.

Assen na yo!

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
He was 6’ and 200 at 18. Doubtful that he’s the one prospect thy doesn’t grow.

Everyone has shared their doom and gloom, and light and brights. Seems like it’s time to sit back now and see how he develops.

It really doesn’t matter if people think it’s a shit top 10 pick right now. Boucher has plenty of time to put together all his tools and make management look smart.

It’s almost like we need an opinion registry on these kinds of things so we can notify and then move on instead of going round and round for 2-3 years.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I was not only surprised by his smooth skating but also his wicked wrist shot. It is without a doubt NHL calibre and that combined with his physicality, strength and speed should make him an NHL player at some point who can contribute at worst in a 3rd or 4th line role.

That might be disappointing to some but the alternative is a full on bust of a player that can't even crack a 4th line consistently like say Logan Brown.
Which draftable player is the alternative who is a full on bust you are talking about?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I hope so, that IMO puts us in a very good position to draft one of the RD Nemec or more likely Jiricek. I still maintain we end up picking somewhere between 5th to 7th, however the lottery could change that with a drop of a ball.

My recollection is that they shoot out air-propelled at the top of the machine. :)

Getting one of Nemec or Jiricek would be a very good result. Getting a top 2 pick would be . . . . . . . . . most excellent.

Reactions: aragorn

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
When you describe Curtis Lazar's playing style.. the first player that comes to mind is Logan Brown. Hard to avoid all the obvious similarities.

I get the White - Lazar comparison but L.Brown was different IMO. L. Brown was slow but had very good puck-handling skills and had been injured, I think, in junior and had not performed at a high level, resulting in him being a mid-first round pick projection.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
My recollection is that they shoot out air-propelled at the top of the machine. :)

Getting one of Nemec or Jiricek would be a very good result. Getting a top 2 pick would be . . . . . . . . . most excellent.
IMO the top 5 prospects in the 2022 draft are Wright, Cooley, Slafkovsky, Nemec & Jiricek. After that it comes down to what kind of a player you like or think this team needs, there are a number of guys who can go in all kinds of different order. If Ottawa gets to select in the top 5 they should get a pretty good player with any of those 5 guys. After that I also like Yurov, Geekie, Korchinski, Gauthier, Nazar, Snuggerud & Luneau.

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
IMO the top 5 prospects in the 2022 draft are Wright, Cooley, Slafkovsky, Nemec & Jiricek. After that it comes down to what kind of a player you like or think this team needs, there are a number of guys who can go in all kinds of different order. If Ottawa gets to select in the top 5 they should get a pretty good player with any of those 5 guys. After that I also like Yurov, Geekie, Korchinski, Gauthier, Nazar, Snuggerud & Luneau.
I agree with your top 5. They are probably a step or two above the rest. I like Geekie, but his foot speed and pace kind of concern me. I think Luneau is pretty intriguing and liked him in the prospects game.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Hopefully we will finish this season in the 30-32 spots and thus be guaranteed a top 5 pick due to the lottery. No flurry of wins at the end of this season to drop our draft pick!

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
You realize I was quoting you, right? The whole, "every time he is on the ice guys shit their pants" was yours?

Lots of guys hit but even more know how to not get hit and still make plays. Or better, all know how to take a hit and make a play so they don't fundamentally alter their games because Boucher may try to hit them.

Minor leagues are full of guys with tools who don't know how to use them so until I see that (have seen him live a few times now) then I will remain hopeful yet skeptical.

When is the last time he put up numbers of any significance? Bantam I guess?

Yeah I know you quoted me. Pointing out that you don't have to take it literally

• Haha
Reactions: OD99 and Sweatred

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Not all 6'1" 205 lb players are the same. Chris Neil was 6'1" 209 and he was far from the league average when it came to being a physical presence even without dropping his gloves.

Assen na yo!
While true, the problem is many Neil hits in todays NHL are suspendable. You cannot play like he did anymore. You can still hit at that size, quite often, but they are are not bone shattering hits that Neil was able to deliver.

That why even though there are a lot of hits in the league, and certainly by average sized NHLers, there are few feared hitters like Wilson. Hitters today are far more agitators than scary. Hitting seems to have peeked in the NHL around 2014 or so. It is still an integral part of the game, but not like it used to be.

Poxsonus

Jan 24, 2016
Saskatchewan

Assen na yo!
He hit like a beast. Someone might want to have another look at his hit on Hedman (or the fight with Chara when he held up).

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
They got the donuts? Excellent....
While true, the problem is many Neil hits in todays NHL are suspendable. You cannot play like he did anymore. You can still hit at that size, quite often, but they are are not bone shattering hits that Neil was able to deliver.

Oh, please. Neil played 7 seasons in the league after they started calling hits to the head. Not suspended once. You make it sound like he played in the 70's.

Assen na yo!

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Yeah I know you quoted me. Pointing out that you don't have to take it literally
I'm sorry if you were confused by your own comment but if you think that people take well known sayings literally it must be hard to ever have a discussion.

I referenced it like the turn of phrase it is and basically told you that players won't play scared when Boucher is on the ice like you implied.

Do you have an actual response or want to try and play more word games?

Boucher doesn't intimidate teenagers right now so very doubtful an NHLer will be concerned with him at all.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
The Sens should have substituded C. Brown with Boucher on the penalty shot tonight, they need someone to score.

LOL. Maybe. But that Oshawa goalie was totally lost. Couldn't deal with ANY change of pace and was sliding back with no ability to be explosive.

It was a nice shot by Boucher though.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Eh, guys avoid getting hit by Brady all the time. Happened tonight where the D basically let Brady have the puck.

Not every NHL player is super brave, or super sturdy. Lots of guys don’t like getting crushed and prefer to try and stick handle around. Are they shaking in their boots? No, but they definitely shy away from contact. It’s just straight up dumb to pretend otherwise when we see it all the time with our current team.

We had a team with lots of that avoidance for several years, and it doesn’t get you very far come playoff time. Super soft perimeter players who don’t like getting hit. I don’t want a single one on our team, they fold like a cheap tent in the playoffs.

Boucher will do his thing :)

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Eh, guys avoid getting hit by Brady all the time. Happened tonight where the D basically let Brady have it.

Not every NHL player is super brave, or super sturdy. Lots of guys don’t like getting crushed and prefer to try and stick handle around. Are they shaking in their boots? No, but they definitely shy away from contact.

We had a team with lots of that for several years, and it doesn’t get you very far come playoff time.

Still surprised how far some fans are willing to go to try and detract from Boucher. I’m not gonna lie, I’m pulling even more for him so you guys can be wrong, and slink away from this thread pretending like you never said anything!

Huh?

Who are you talking to with this post?

Of course players move away from hits. Most do it with ease because the player trying to hit them is an oaf.

But anyway, we may have had a less physical team that only made it to a Cup final and a couple of ECFs. Didn't get us very far. But last year we had the 2nd biggest team and LOADS of toughness. And we got....???

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Huh?

Who are you talking to with this post?

Of course players move away from hits. Most do it with ease because the player trying to hit them is an oaf.

But anyway, we may have had a less physical team that only made it to a Cup final and a couple of ECFs. Didn't get us very far. But last year we had the 2nd biggest team and LOADS of toughness. And we got....???
Not really at all what anyone is talking about man, your comment is just silly arguing to the extreme…. I’ll let that swirl down the toilet as a turd. Boucher isn’t an oaf skating around, and neither is Brady, just in case you missed the point.

As for the second part, perhaps you’re too young and that’s where you start remembering Sens teams. I envy that. The ECF Sens were retooled to finally get away from the years of soft futility.

Last year? Lol… You mean our team full of kids that we’re slowly developing at the moment? Geez man, I mean thanks for coming out.

Edit: I did change the last paragraph before reading your post to be less argumentative, but I stand by it.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Not really at all what anyone is talking about man, your comment is just silly arguing to the extreme…. I’ll let that swirl down the toilet as a turd. Boucher isn’t an oaf skating around, and neither is Brady, just in case you missed the point.

As for the second part, perhaps you’re too young and that’s where you start remembering Sens teams. I envy that. The ECF Sens were retooled to finally get away from the years of soft futility.

Last year? Lol… You mean our team full of kids that we’re slowly developing at the moment? Geez man, I mean thanks for coming out.

Edit: I did change the last paragraph before reading your post to be less argumentative, but I stand by it.
I wasn't talking about Brady or Boucher specifically. Players try to hit. Players either deal with it or avoid them. Players who are good at it (Brady) turn it into offensive production or defensive prevention (Methot). Right now Boucher just looks for hits and is neither offensively, nor defensively, effective compared to his peers.

As for me being too young? I attended every single Sens playoff game between 1997 and 2007. Every single game.

And the early Jacques Martin teams over achieved (defeated the dynasty level Devils) by being a two way team. Ditto for getting within a goal of the finals in 2003 (refs f***ed us; Hossa was a pony for every Devils defenseman). None of this was done with toughness.

2007: We made the finals and lost. The Ducks were tough and having Chara instead of Redden may have made the difference but again the team was never built on toughness.

2017.: One goal from the final and likely the cup. Lost to a "soft" Penguins team. We were short on skill, not toughness.

We have since shifted to a focus on toughness. And in the 3 years of DJ's reign we have progressed....we haven't progressed. We started as a bottom 5 team and we still are.

I hope it all improves but focusing on toughness will get us nowhere.

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
I enjoy seeing the kid play and his game. Way too many people are over analyzing every little play he makes in junior. Dam kid is in a fish bowl here.

Chill out and respect the process of his development.

He is bound for the AHL and let's see what happens then. Fans will Logan Brown him into the ground at this rate!

Peace!

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I wasn't talking about Brady or Boucher specifically. Players try to hit. Players either deal with it or avoid them. Players who are good at it (Brady) turn it into offensive production or defensive prevention (Methot). Right now Boucher just looks for hits and is neither offensively, nor defensively, effective compared to his peers.

As for me being too young? I attended every single Sens playoff game between 1997 and 2007. Every single game.

And the early Jacques Martin teams over achieved (defeated the dynasty level Devils) by being a two way team. Ditto for getting within a goal of the finals in 2003 (refs f***ed us; Hossa was a pony for every Devils defenseman). None of this was done with toughness.

2007: We made the finals and lost. The Ducks were tough and having Chara instead of Redden may have made the difference but again the team was never built on toughness.

2017.: One goal from the final and likely the cup. Lost to a "soft" Penguins team. We were short on skill, not toughness.

We have since shifted to a focus on toughness. And in the 3 years of DJ's reign we have progressed....we haven't progressed. We started as a bottom 5 team and we still are.

I hope it all improves but focusing on toughness will get us nowhere.
You know, I agree with your final point for sure.

I don’t think Boucher pick is all about the toughness, I think he was a pick the guys think can do both. He’s actually coming on quit nicely now since settling into his new team. It’s fine to stat watch and say he can’t provide offence, but we’re starting to see before our eyes that this may not be the case. I see no reason to be entrenched in that assessment.

The Jacque teams were soft as hell. We were skilled and incredibly soft. When the pressure increased we folded every year.

Having Chara would have been a huge difference in that finals over the Ducks. Team toughness was absolutely a huge change during Chara’s years and after.

I thought that we lucked our way to the finals with the 2017 team??? ;) That’s not exactly a recipe for how to build a team now is it. The best players on Pittsburg are not soft perimeter players.

We haven’t nearly made as big a shift as you think on the toughness front from the Chara days. It looks like the team is brining together a core of players that are both skilled and tough/gritty/play hard and physical. From Brady to Stu, the guys are all gritty to some degree.

It makes sense to me though. You don’t want to have a few roster spots dedicated to tough guys who can barely contribute, you want the team toughness to run through the lineup with guys who can play and score. That’s essentially what we have here, and what we focused on during that last weird draft. It’s worked pretty well for us so far, and that includes Batherson, Norris, and Formenton as well.

To bring it back to Boucher, as other people, and Trent and Pierre have already said; Boucher was not drafted to be a 3rd or 4th line grinder. He was drafted because while being a vicious hitter with a very physical game, he exhibited the ability to score goals from outside the hash marks and had speed and puck skills to provide offence.

Fair enough to argue that there is fan confusion as to where that firm support comes from, but it is what it is. He’s starting to actually show some of that offence consistently now, so let’s wait and see and be open to the idea that maybe he ends up the threat our staff thought he could be.

Reactions: Yak
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad