Prospect Info: Tyler Boucher (F) - PART III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Why could we haven't picked Sillinger and then moved up for Boucher. Or just not pick Boucher at all.
The Sens don’t want one way offensive forwards that project as PP2 only… on this team that’s as high as he plays.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
We're so stacked that we don't need budding young offensive dynamos? Damn can't wait for the parade.

Not at all… we don’t need secondary only scoring. Compare the difference in value between White and Brown or Ennis and Paul. Sens want more Briwn/Paul who can do more than score them odd goal.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Not at all… we don’t need secondary only scoring. Compare the difference in value between White and Brown or Ennis and Paul. Sens want more Briwn/Paul who can do more than score them odd goal.

There's a significant chance that neither of Brown or Paul are on the team in the near future but that's irrelevant I suppose.

If Tyler Boucher ends up scoring at a slightly lower clip that Sillinger while bringing physicality and energy then yes it was an awesome pick because that's essentially Brady Tkachuk or Tom Wilson. Sitting here today it doesn't look like that's remotely in the cards. Looked about the same on draft day.

Things can of course change. But current assessment is dark.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I get liking Boucher's raw tools and believing in him as a prospect, what I find weird is writing off Sillinger as secondary scoring only in his D+1 year when he's playing NHL games as an 18 Year old in order to prop up Boucher who's yet to show he'll even make the NHL yet.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Lol at 10th overall you should be aiming for higher than any of those players

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
The Sens don’t want one way offensive forwards that project as PP2 only… on this team that’s as high as he plays.
It is annoying if this is how they view things. Pretty much insinuates that Sillinger can't improve his defensive play so offense is all that he'll bring. Meanwhile, Boucher had questionable offensive ability, but let's assume that will improve. Seems strange. In this year's draft, for example, will they pass on the offensive players because they already have a few young offensive guys on the team?

Reactions: Agent Zuuuub

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Boucher is good and will be a great addition to the middle 6. Don’t worry about it boys.

Reactions: aragorn

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
It is annoying if this is how they view things. Pretty much insinuates that Sillinger can't improve his defensive play so offense is all that he'll bring. Meanwhile, Boucher had questionable offensive ability, but let's assume that will improve. Seems strange. In this year's draft, for example, will they pass on the offensive players because they already have a few young offensive guys on the team?
Yeah it makes zero sense at all, definitely not how they’re viewing things

Are we going to draft a guy who can bang and crash instead of a very good offensive player because he’s not going to immediately step into a PP1? Pass on Lekkerimaki for a guy with much less talent because he isn’t going to be on the 1st PP immediately. Seems even stranger that they think Sillinger can’t become a PP1 player when he has the best offensive pedigree of everyone but Stutzle.

Reactions: SAK11

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
We can Occam's Razor this bad boy lol. Sens scouting staff had their list and Boucher was the BPA when they were up to pick.

Now it certainly looks like their list was wrong. Happens every day. People think they know something that others don't when in reality the herd has the right idea. Same reason your buddy that autodrafts his fantasy football team always does better than all of the hardcore guys expect.

Reactions: Silencio

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
So I guess we can't expect anyone with skill this draft?

This makes no sense - all F need to project as better than our top 6 or we then move to bruisers who hit?

Has Boucher shown any ability to play well defensively? If he doesn't get going with his offensive touch he better be a wizard defensively.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
So I guess we can't expect anyone with skill this draft?

This makes no sense - all F need to project as better than our top 6 or we then move to bruisers who hit?

Has Boucher shown any ability to play well defensively? If he doesn't get going with his offensive touch he better be a wizard defensively.
Exactly, makes zero sense

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
They got the donuts? Excellent....
This is such a boring thread with all the inane bickering.

Yes, Boucher has completely underperformed since being drafted.

Yes, Sillinger has completely exceeded expectations since he was drafted.

I'd give the scouting staff the benefit of the doubt on this one. This isn't like Muckler's staff that had an abysmal track record. This staff has shown they can pick players. Do you want the staff replaced for the bad pick? If so, who do you think they could bring in that would do a better job?

This was the most abnormal draft in league history. There might have been something with Sillinger that turned them off. Maybe it was skating. Maybe it was his personality. But he would have gone a lot earlier if other teams could have predicted how he'd perform this season.

There's no use in crying about the Boucher pick now. The missed time last year hurt his development in ways that will probably never be made up. He's a long shot. Move on. There will be another high first rounder in a few months.

Assen na yo.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013

I'd give the scouting staff the benefit of the doubt on this one. This isn't like Muckler's staff that had an abysmal track record. This staff has shown they can pick players. Do you want the staff replaced for the bad pick? If so, who do you think they could bring in that would do a better job?

This was the most abnormal draft in league history. There might have been something with Sillinger that turned them off. Maybe it was skating. Maybe it was his personality. But he would have gone a lot earlier if other teams could have predicted how he'd perform this season.

There's no use in crying about the Boucher pick now. The missed time last year hurt his development in ways that will probably never be made up. He's a long shot. Move on. There will be another high first rounder in a few months.

Assen na yo.

This team has kind of a meh track record when it comes to picking in the first round, at least from my perspective. They tend to pick well inside the Top 5 or so, but after that it's more hit or miss. That's not to say they're bad at it or anything, but I don't think that every first rounder gets the benefit of the doubt at this point.

Reactions: Agent Zuuuub

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

Assen na yo.
This again seems like an overreaction to those that are saying so far this looks like a disappointing pick.

We have been a bottom team for 5 years and will be a bottom team again with no prospect to sign significant FA to come and help the kids. We need our top 10 picks to turn in to players so they can contribute on ELC.

A top 10 pick is not something you throw away with a casual, "Oh well, at least we will have a top 10 pick again soon." Mann gets a lot of leeway but can still be criticized when he goes way off the board with a top 10 pick and the sad part is we are looking like we might be in the same position again next season.

We have a few top players but we are quickly moving in to AZ, Buff, Oilers territory of having lots of low picks for a long time and remaining bottom feeders.

So this isn't specifically about Boucher and I hope he shows some signs he can be a pro players but I am not prepared to simply shrug and look forward to the next early pick we get.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I really hope I am wrong, but I dont think the team drafted BPA. I think they were looking at the future and felt the team needed a cost controlled bottom 6 with a mean streak.

If Boucher reaches the stars, he becomes what? Tom Wilson? A guy that equates to 6.3% of the salary cap at max value?
Sillinger at max reaches star level and 10% of the cap. We have those in Brady, Norris, Stutzle. The team was cap planning.

Should have gone BPA and trade for what is needed later. But whatever, we are not in that room and dont get a say.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I really hope I am wrong, but I dont think the team drafted BPA. I think they were looking at the future and felt the team needed a cost controlled bottom 6 with a mean streak.

If Boucher reaches the stars, he becomes what? Tom Wilson? A guy that equates to 6.3% of the salary cap at max value?
Sillinger at max reaches star level and 10% of the cap. We have those in Brady, Norris, Stutzle. The team was cap planning.

Should have gone BPA and trade for what is needed later. But whatever, we are not in that room and dont get a say.

I don't buy that argument. If anything these types of players tend to get overpaid relative to their production.

Anderson, Lucic, Clarkson, B.Tkachuk, Backes, Kassian, etc... They have unique skillsets and teams often confuse rarity with value.

I do agree that they drafted for "fit" over BPA though, which isn't too different from drafting for need.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

If they really thought this way the management team should be fired and banned from the league

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
We can Occam's Razor this bad boy lol. Sens scouting staff had their list and Boucher was the BPA when they were up to pick.

Now it certainly looks like their list was wrong. Happens every day. People think they know something that others don't when in reality the herd has the right idea. Same reason your buddy that autodrafts his fantasy football team always does better than all of the hardcore guys expect.
I literally copied and pasted all of the suggested picks from the CBS Sports website into my office March Madness pool bracket and won it two years in a row over the hardcore college hoops fanatics.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
He is no Sillinger but Boucher just scored again on a pretty nice shot. No denying this kid has a stellar NHL level release.

Reactions: aragorn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad