Prospect Info: Tyler Boucher (F) - PART III

Status
Not open for further replies.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Agreed, he also missed almost all of last year. And he’s a power forward, who notoriously take longer to develop. I think next season we need to see more production out of him or it’s a lost cause, but considering the strangeness of the last two years for him, I’m willing to be patient.

Longer in the NHL. Not in their D+1 year OHL. Wilson, 1.2 PPg, Crouse 1.3 PPG, Tcachuck 1.9 in draft year, Matt Jones 1.1, Josh Anderson .7 ( a big outlier), Landeskog 1.25 draft year, Givanni smith .7, Zacha 1.25, B Leemieux 1.1, ritchie 1.3.

and yes I'm willing to be patient, but every player has been under serious disadvantage for the last two years. He is at the point that his output should almost triple next year to start to catch up.

Reactions: Alex1234

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
To compare Boucher's season to other D+1 years is kind of unfair.

I'm not sold on Cameron as a coach, and we all know that players don't magically acclimatize to a new team overnight.

For the most talented players in the OHL, they do it all the time. Stillman, McTavish as examples this year.

Talent is Talent. It shines. On average each OHL team has 2-3 forwards that will play more than a handful of NHL games. If you are an NHL caliber player, you are playing against massively weaker competition on a nightly basis you are going to put up points.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
67’s don’t have anyone scoring near a PPG for a full season … maybe JB gets there… another excuse but they are not a high scoring team. Their best dman is around 0.5 PPG.

The wheat kings have 4 players including a dman over a PPG.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
67’s don’t have anyone scoring near a PPG for a full season … maybe JB gets there… another excuse but they are not a high scoring team. Their best dman is around 0.5 PPG.

The wheat kings have 4 players including a dman over a PPG.
Jack Beck has 32 points in 27 games, he was taken 168th in the same draft. Has put up 15 points in 15 games in all the same games that Boucher has been back in the lineup since February.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I know - it’s a good half season … as I said he prob get there.
It’s the same stretch of games as Boucher, 15 points in the past 14 games that both guys came back into the lineup, so there are people, taken in the exact same draft, who are producing in the 67’s.

Boucher will get better, I have zero doubts about that. But the team he’s playing on has nothing to do with not producing, a 6th rounder is doing just fine on the same team at the same time.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Longer in the NHL. Not in their D+1 year OHL. Wilson, 1.2 PPg, Crouse 1.3 PPG, Tcachuck 1.9 in draft year, Matt Jones 1.1, Josh Anderson .7 ( a big outlier), Landeskog 1.25 draft year, Givanni smith .7, Zacha 1.25, B Leemieux 1.1, ritchie 1.3.

and yes I'm willing to be patient, but every player has been under serious disadvantage for the last two years. He is at the point that his output should almost triple next year to start to catch up.

But everyone handles things differently. Boucher himself talked about his injuries, how he has been struggling mentally, wondered if he’s ever going to get out of his funk, and lost his confidence. He talked about having to keep a gratitude journal to focus on the positives. He is still a kid, and I think there’s more to his struggles than lacking skill or just not being good enough for the OHL. I’m sure it doesn’t help your confidence when the entire internet is wondering how you could have been drafted so high. Hard to play well when you’re mentally drained.

His stats don’t look good, but there’s a human element to all of this that he himself shared, so I’d rather not write him off and hope he puts it together.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
What was the urge to sign Boucher? At least we could've salvaged 42nd overall compensatory pick out of it.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
But everyone handles things differently. Boucher himself talked about his injuries, how he has been struggling mentally, wondered if he’s ever going to get out of his funk, and lost his confidence. He talked about having to keep a gratitude journal to focus on the positives. He is still a kid, and I think there’s more to his struggles than lacking skill or just not being good enough for the OHL. I’m sure it doesn’t help your confidence when the entire internet is wondering how you could have been drafted so high. Hard to play well when you’re mentally drained.

His stats don’t look good, but there’s a human element to all of this that he himself shared, so I’d rather not write him off and hope he puts it together.
Everyone hopes he can overcome all of his issues physically and mentally but that still doesn't take away the fact it was an odd pick to begin with and every single piece of evidence since then backs it up.

Pressure and injuries are part of the deal for competitive sports let alone pro sports.

Happy to give him time and if he does find his groove then great. We will have an impact player and one of the best stories going.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
college game is too structured, junior game is too unstructured. NHL would be perfect?

in no way does that say stud, more like a bottom six grunt.

the issue is that even with his skating, size, shot etc advantage in juniors he is still having difficulty bullying kids for points. that is a big yikes for a player they selected 10 overall.
I think you missed my point. I said college and junior were not structured. I think he’s one of those players that will work best in a system game where everyone is in sync.
My opinion is that he will eventually thrive in the NHL and surprise some non-believers. I mean, it’s just an opinion.

Reactions: Sweatred

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Everyone hopes he can overcome all of his issues physically and mentally but that still doesn't take away the fact it was an odd pick to begin with and every single piece of evidence since then backs it up.

Pressure and injuries are part of the deal for competitive sports let alone pro sports.

Happy to give him time and if he does find his groove then great. We will have an impact player and one of the best stories going.
I don’t disagree, just saying it’s worth considering the context of what’s transpired and seeing how things progress. It’s very possible he is a bust, don’t think anyone is debating that.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Not so sure - Chris Neil would be a much better 1RD pick than any of our last forward picks in the last 15 years outside the top 6 OA guys.

Neil blew up the OHL but we havnt got anything useful out of Brown, White, Lazar, Bowers etc.

A good 3rd liner is way more valuable than a weak 2nd liner.

All true. But for me, and I suspect the vast majority of posters, this is not so much about Boucher as it is about the Sens management team. I highly doubt anyone here does not wants Boucher to succeed at a very high level. It is about a management team that used a very high pick to go far far off board and every day it looks like a more terrible pick.

There is a huge difference between Brown being taken 11th overall and Boucher at 10th overall. Brown was a pick that did not work out. Boucher, if he does not pan out, is simply a bad pick. Brown was ranked 13th in the consolidated list of draft rankings. Boucher was 49th. He had no choice over where he was chosen, but the team did. This does not look bad on him, it looks bad on the team.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
All true. But for me, and I suspect the vast majority of posters, this is not so much about Boucher as it is about the Sens management team. I highly doubt anyone here does not wants Boucher to succeed at a very high level. It is about a management team that used a very high pick to go far far off board and every day it looks like a more terrible pick.

There is a huge difference between Brown being taken 11th overall and Boucher at 10th overall. Brown was a pick that did not work out. Boucher, if he does not pan out, is simply a bad pick. Brown was ranked 13th in the consolidated list of draft rankings. Boucher was 49th. He had no choice over where he was chosen, but the team did. This does not look bad on him, it looks bad on the team.

I get that - I’m looking at the groups of the board picks of Pinto, Klevin, Greig’s (to an extent) and of course Boucher.

I bet we get wayyyy more out of that sequence than we got out of the Brown, White, Lazar style picks.

I’m stung that we dropped to 10OA and lost out on the potential of the top 3-8 players … but I still see a kid who skates very well, shoots hard, and hits a tonne. If he’s a good 3rd liner I’ll be happy.

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
I get that - I’m looking at the groups of the board picks of Pinto, Klevin, Greig’s (to an extent) and of course Boucher.

I bet we get wayyyy more out of that sequence than we got out of the Brown, White, Lazar style picks.

I’m stung that we dropped to 10OA and lost out on the potential of the top 3-8 players … but I still see a kid who skates very well, shoots hard, and hits a tonne. If he’s a good 3rd liner I’ll be happy.
What is a White, Lazar, Brown style pick? And how do they differ from the other group of players you listed?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
You can be happy with that.
We don’t need to be. The player has already been selected. He’s now just a Sens prospect. I’ll be happy if he’s a bottom six fan favorite. We’re you happy with selecting an all star in the fourth round? A first line center draft at 17th overall by another team and acquiring that player? One of the best d men in the NHL at 21st overall or whatever. The draft giveth and the draft taketh

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Jack Beck has 32 points in 27 games, he was taken 168th in the same draft. Has put up 15 points in 15 games in all the same games that Boucher has been back in the lineup since February.
Yeah been looking at that.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Tbh we are in a good position for now assuming we pick 6th overall.
I hope so, that IMO puts us in a very good position to draft one of the RD Nemec or more likely Jiricek. I still maintain we end up picking somewhere between 5th to 7th, however the lottery could change that with a drop of a ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad