Prospect Info: Tyler Boucher (F) - PART III

Status
Not open for further replies.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
These highlights reek of desperation.

He is screening in front of the net! He hit a guy along the boards!

He missed a wide open empty net!

Good to see he looks better playing against younger kids and hope he finds some confidence and starts putting up some points but man...never seen so many highlight clips that are legit nothing.
He looks okay, you can see he has more skill than he’s given credit for. Looooong way to go. Junior next year, AHL year after, then who knows

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020

Good to see he looks better playing against younger kids and hope he finds some confidence and starts putting up some points but man...never seen so many highlight clips that are legit nothing.

Did you get lost?

Find another team to cheer for if you are going to criticize other fans for simply following one of our prospects. No one here is saying he's going to be great but im happy they are sharing content about the teams prospects.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He looks okay, you can see he has more skill than he’s given credit for. Looooong way to go. Junior next year, AHL year after, then who knows
People need some patience here. He changed teams got hurt. It's been a tough year but there is no reason to be overly critical.

Reactions: Icelevel and GCK

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016

It is footage of a prospect. Not everyone has access to watch these games on television or a streaming service, and some of those people would like to see Boucher play. Those same people would like to make their own evaluations of Boucher based on what they see and not rely on other people's assessments. This is more reflective of what scouting is actually like. It is watching a player closely and looking for subtle details in their game, breaking apart skills and attributes to how they are developed over time and the types of progression they go through and then using that conceptual model to assess how a prospect is actually performing and whether or not they are progressing on those development paths.

A lot of people would likely find actual scouting to be very boring. They want immediate gratification; the flashy highlight that is blatantly obvious for everyone to see and for everyone to assess. They don't enjoy the difficult task of hunting for subtle details, sifting through the ambiguity and attempting to formulate accurate evaluations of the significance of what is occurring. In every single game and every single shift, every little detail is actually significant, and quite often of profound significance. Teams and players reveal their patterns all the time. These patterns help uncover their weaknesses which later become exploitable opportunities.

From an individual player standpoint, at the junior level, each game and each shift reveals how well a player is going to be able to adapt to the NHL level, how much of their game is transferrable, what tendencies are they going to have to unlearn and will they be capable of doing that unlearning. Troy Mann has even stated this before, that at the AHL level he has to coach the junior out of the player. It takes quite a bit of effort to make such assessments. A person needs to see the patterns of success and failure at the NHL level and then see the patterns of success and failure at the junior level and then determine where the gaps lie. There are patterns of success at the junior level that are actually patterns of failure at the NHL level, there are also patterns at the junior level that don't come across as obviously successful but are actually very strong signs of being successful at the NHL level.

The point is that some enjoy attempting to embark on that difficult task, to really attempt to analyze and breakdown the game, whereas others might be more satisfied with watching highlights.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
It is footage of a prospect. Not everyone has access to watch these games on television or a streaming service, and some of those people would like to see Boucher play. Those same people would like to make their own evaluations of Boucher based on what they see and not rely on other people's assessments. This is more reflective of what scouting is actually like. It is watching a player closely and looking for subtle details in their game, breaking apart skills and attributes to how they are developed over time and the types of progression they go through and then using that conceptual model to assess how a prospect is actually performing and whether or not they are progressing on those development paths.

A lot of people would likely find actual scouting to be very boring. They want immediate gratification; the flashy highlight that is blatantly obvious for everyone to see and for everyone to assess. They don't enjoy the difficult task of hunting for subtle details, sifting through the ambiguity and attempting to formulate accurate evaluations of the significance of what is occurring. In every single game and every single shift, every little detail is actually significant, and quite often of profound significance. Teams and players reveal their patterns all the time. These patterns help uncover their weaknesses which later become exploitable opportunities.

From an individual player standpoint, at the junior level, each game and each shift reveals how well a player is going to be able to adapt to the NHL level, how much of their game is transferrable, what tendencies are they going to have to unlearn and will they be capable of doing that unlearning. Troy Mann has even stated this before, that at the AHL level he has to coach the junior out of the player. It takes quite a bit of effort to make such assessments. A person needs to see the patterns of success and failure at the NHL level and then see the patterns of success and failure at the junior level and then determine where the gaps lie. There are patterns of success at the junior level that are actually patterns of failure at the NHL level, there are also patterns at the junior level that don't come across as obviously successful but are actually very strong signs of being successful at the NHL level.

The point is that some enjoy attempting to embark on that difficult task, to really attempt to analyze and breakdown the game, whereas others might be more satisfied with watching highlights.

Some people simply never get over a player's draft position and formulate their opinion based on that, one way or the other. A player getting picked top 10 for example, in some people's eyes is an automatic star regardless of said players progression even if they have entered bust territory (I.e Logan Brown).

Whereas the opposite is also true that if a top 10 player is not living up to expectations from day 1 that this player is automatically a bust based on absolutely zero logic.

The same could be said about players picked in later rounds, where some fans will automatically assume a player can never be a star NHL player simply by looking at where they were picked, and then suggesting that if said player actually had potential that they would have been picked much earlier by another team.

History has proven that even professionals make mistakes, because good players get picked late, and sometimes bad players get picked early.

However I have no clue how anyone can really say that Boucher is a bust based on such limited showings. What is this opinon based on, other than draft position and expectations? Six months post draft and some people are so certain that Tyler Boucher is a bust yet those same people might tell you we gave up on Logan Brown too soon, six years after drafting him...

Reactions: Dan Patrick

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I don't get too shook up about what gets posted in here about draft picks. For starters, some are trigger happy looking for reasons to call out Dorion. Sometimes it's blatant criticism, sometimes it's constant little pokes pumping another player other than what we drafted or somehow acquired. Brannstrom is a good example. Regardless of where he goes from here, he's going to have a better career than Wolanin or Mete yet the pumping of tires for those two guys was constant. I look at those types and wonder do you not get hockey or is the need to criticize Dorion so great that you cannot contain yourself?

As far as I can tell, this organization has said that Boucher has a terrific shot, is a powerful skater and he has a tremendous work ethic. I've never seen the kid play but coming out of the mouths of the people that made those comments, that's a solid tool box to work with. Let's see what the kid can do to mold those three tools into an NHL career.

In the meantime, those with an axe to grind about the organization can continue with their takes. And maybe in a few years, if they're right, they can celebrate. It's just as likely they'll be on to the next thing and all the Boucher criticisms will only live on in the HF archives.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Boucher is getting the Lassi HF treatment … posters smell a little blood and will grab onto anything to push the “Dorion’s a Fool” agenda.

His path is very similar to Greig’s. Cut from u20 post draft. Good chance he ends up on it next year and everyone gets eyes on the player.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Boucher is getting the Lassi HF treatment … posters smell a little blood and will grab onto anything to push the “Dorion’s a Fool” agenda.

His path is very similar to Greig’s. Cut from u20 post draft. Good chance he ends up on it next year and everyone gets eyes on the player.
Does seem to be similar to greig at all

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Seasons after being drafted couldn’t be more different, not to mention Greig was at the World Junior camp and had to leave due to Covid
I meant doesn’t haha I don’t know why this keyboard leaves out “n’t”. Maybe I’m just a dumbass

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
People are going to be extra critical because he was a surprise pick and the guy drafted after him is already in the NHL.

Give him time. If he flops he flops. The people that will continue to criticize this pick are the same ones that havent let the Lee over Kopitar pick go.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
People are going to be extra critical because he was a surprise pick and the guy drafted after him is already in the NHL.

Give him time. If he flops he flops. The people that will continue to criticize this pick are the same ones that havent let the Lee over Kopitar pick go.
And nor should they:sarcasm:

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Seasons after being drafted couldn’t be more different, not to mention Greig was at the World Junior camp and had to leave due to Covid

Greig was getting cut the season he left tryouts with Covid - he wasn’t making the team.

Boucher prob makes USA next year which will be the same timeline as Greig making Canada two years after bring drafted.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Greig was getting cut the season he left with Covid - he wasn’t making the team.
Likely not making it, was one of the guys at the camp in the hunt for a 4th line spot. Usually what is to be expected for 18 year old late 1sts. At least got invited to the camp and had to leave due to Covid a week in.

He went from the draft to the AHL and played great, and then lit the WHL up. Boucher hasn’t gone anywhere and played great yet, the opposite thus far. Had to leave BU 3 months in after a disappointing start, and has had a disappointing start on the OHL thus far.

Boucher will be fine, tons of time left to get going, but his season is in no way similar to Greigs last year at this point, aside from neither plying at the World Juniors

Last edited:

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Likely not making it, was one of the guys at the camp in the hunt for a 4th line spot. Usually what is to be expected for 18 year old late 1sts. At least got invited to the camp and had to leave due to Covid a week in.

He went from the draft to the AHL and played great, and then lit the WHL up. Boucher hasn’t gone anywhere and played great yet, the opposite thus far. Had to leave BU 3 months in after a disappointing start, and has had a disappointing start on the OHL thus far.

Boucher will be fine, tons of time left to get going, but his season is in no way similar to Greigs last year at this point, aside from neither plying at the World Juniors

Sorry … where did I compare his “season”?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Sorry … where did I compare his “season”?
What else would his path mean? Would mean the time from the draft until now, no? Or where they are heading?

One immediately jumped out and earned praise, produced in the AHL and WHL, and made his draft pick look extremely smart.

The other has struggled, had to leave his NCAA program after 3 months, been injured and started slow in the OHL

Boucher has loads of time to break out of the funk, and he likely will, but those paths look nothing alike, nearly the opposite in fact.

Last edited:

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Did you get lost?

Find another team to cheer for if you are going to criticize other fans for simply following one of our prospects. No one here is saying he's going to be great but im happy they are sharing content about the teams prospects.
Take that fake outrage and childish nonsense and shove it.

I didn't criticize anyone but what other prospect is getting the same treatment? The clips are essentially highlights of plays that happen in every game by loads of players.

We all want him to do well but the point is I don't see clips of Latimer making a hit or Romeo dumping the puck out.

It's specific to Boucher and the burning desire for him to show well.

BTW I will be at the 67's game Wed to see him and other prospects we have on Fronts.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

Are those your clips Rafi?

I'm not looking to make fun of the messenger and know you put a lot of effort in to your videos and clips, which I appreciate. So if those are yours I genuinely apologize as I didn't mean to dismiss the clips themselves.

I will stand by the idea that Boucher is getting different treatment and many are looking for any small sign to prove he will not bust.

He has lots of time and is essentially starting his development over with the move to Junior. Let's see how he is doing a month from now after he practices/plays without disruption for a while.

Clearly he is a polarizing player and will keep conversations going.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
What else would his path mean? Would mean the time from the draft until now, no? Or where they are heading?

One immediately jumped out and earned praise, produced in the AHL and WHL, and made his draft pick look extremely smart.

The other has struggled, had to leave his NCAA program after 3 months, been injured and started slow in the OHL

Boucher has loads of time to break out of the funk, and he likely will, but those paths look nothing alike, nearly the opposite in fact.

It means his path as I described - cut by WJC after being drafted. No one panicked on Greig regardless of his Covid status… he wasn’t making that team.

Last edited:

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
I don't get too shook up about what gets posted in here about draft picks. For starters, some are trigger happy looking for reasons to call out Dorion. Sometimes it's blatant criticism, sometimes it's constant little pokes pumping another player other than what we drafted or somehow acquired. Brannstrom is a good example. Regardless of where he goes from here, he's going to have a better career than Wolanin or Mete yet the pumping of tires for those two guys was constant. I look at those types and wonder do you not get hockey or is the need to criticize Dorion so great that you cannot contain yourself?

As far as I can tell, this organization has said that Boucher has a terrific shot, is a powerful skater and he has a tremendous work ethic. I've never seen the kid play but coming out of the mouths of the people that made those comments, that's a solid tool box to work with. Let's see what the kid can do to mold those three tools into an NHL career.

In the meantime, those with an axe to grind about the organization can continue with their takes. And maybe in a few years, if they're right, they can celebrate. It's just as likely they'll be on to the next thing and all the Boucher criticisms will only live on in the HF archives.
Yes, I will just wait as well.

But, in general, I'm not worried if others have a different opinion. Its expected on message board where people share their opinions. Seems odd/ironic to complain about the complainers, or to get worked up about it.

Reactions: DrEasy and OD99

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
It means his path as I described - cut by WJC after being drafted. No one panicked on Greig.
No one panicked on Greig, I wonder why. Picked much later, immediately stood out in the AHL, tore up the WHL and got an invite to a lockout World Junior team at 18.

If Greig came out and produced at a 0.5 ppg pace, or had to change his development plan due in part of his struggling, I’d assure you he’d have people panicking as well.

Not making the World Juniors has nothing to do with some panicking about Boucher, that’s a red herring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad