Prospect Info: Tyler Boucher (F) - PART III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I expect a top-10 pick to go from college to the OHL and dominate straight away.
It’s not like the 67’s are a bad team.
He's coming off a lot of missed time due to injury, there's going to be a transitional period.

I like alot of his tools, so long as I don't think of him as 10th OA, I'm happy with him as a longer term prospect. Things obviously aren't going as planed but there's lots of time.

To me, his upside is a 40 pts ball of hate causing havok. That's a pretty useful piece, not who or what I'd have targetted at 10th but that's a sunk cost at this stage,

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
He's coming off a lot of missed time due to injury, there's going to be a transitional period.

I like alot of his tools, so long as I don't think of him as 10th OA, I'm happy with him as a longer term prospect. Things obviously aren't going as planed but there's lots of time.

To me, his upside is a 40 pts ball of hate causing havok. That's a pretty useful piece, not who or what I'd have targetted at 10th but that's a sunk cost at this stage,

I agree … I like that risk vs the typical Logan Brown typical pick.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Pretty much, solid piece to have and we should be happy to have him.

Thinking of him as a later pick makes things better, 10th was a terribly, terribly high place to take him, but as you said it’s a sunk cost. I’d be very surprised if it ever looks like a wise pick that high in the draft.

Sucks we used such a high pick, but it is what it is at this point.

Reactions: GCK

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Pretty much, solid piece to have and we should be happy to have him.

Thinking of him as a later pick makes things better, 10th was a terribly, terribly high place to take him, but as you said it’s a sunk cost. I’d be very surprised if it ever looks like a wise pick that high in the draft.

Sucks we used such a high pick, but it is what it is at this point.

The pic doesn’t sting becuase of Silinger … it stings because it was a terrible year and could have been a top 5 pick. When you org is desperately short on skilled physicality you don’t bet better by drafting light skill and hoping you find heavy skilled players further down the draft.

Ideally we take him at 19OA or something but that wasn’t an option. We need his skillset in our top 9 and the Sens did what they thought they needed to do to acquire it.

Reactions: aragorn

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
The pic doesn’t sting becuase of Silinger … it stings because it was a terrible year and could have been a top 5 pick. When you org is desperately short on skilled physicality you don’t bet better by drafting light skill and hoping you find heavy skilled players further down the draft.

Ideally we take him at 19OA or something but that wasn’t an option. We need his skillset in our top 9 and the Sens did what they thought they needed to do to acquire it.
Drafting for need has a great track record of working out, especially when it’s for physicality and involves reaching 20+ picks early in the draft.

Reactions: ijif

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Drafting for need has a great track record of working out, especially when it’s for physicality and involves reaching 20+ picks early in the draft.

It worked for Brady, Chabot, Stutzle, and lots of other players. Some had Brady and Jimmy closer too top ten players and they did fine.

We’re a soft team that tries hard - you don’t become a heavy team that tries hard unless you acquire the right players. Opstachuk is the example of what we get if we wait for our 2ND puck to select that skill set.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Draft for talent, trade for need.

I imaging you could get a nice package right now if you tried trade Sillinger, could probably land a Boucher type player in the package if you really wanted.

Reactions: BondraTime

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

I dont think Boucher was a draft for need (although Sens need RW) I think they drafted him for culture.

ottawa wants to be a heavy forecheck team and you don’t do that with Gaudette and Ennis. You need actually big and heavy guys to do it.

Once Boucher gets into a playoff game and is ramming the Perry’s, Letang, and Hedman’s fans will start to like him.

from these boards we don’t see the prospects play so we mostly cheer for stats lines and not actual impact play. Brady Tkachuk University stats line being the reason Sens fans melted down when Mann drafted him and they weren’t watching how many chances a game Brady got and where he scored from

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

I imaging you could get a nice package right now if you tried trade Sillinger, could probably land a Boucher type player in the package if you really wanted.

No team is trading an 23-24 ish year old “Boucher projection” with control for Silinger - any older and your trading for 1-2 years before the player leaves via UFA.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
It worked for Brady, Chabot, Stutzle, and lots of other players. Some had Brady and Jimmy closer too top ten players and they did fine.

We’re a soft team that try’s hard - you don’t become a heavy team that tries hard unless you acquire the right players. Opstachuk is the example of what we get if we wait for our 2ND puck to select that skill set.
What does that even mean?

Brady was ranked 3rd and went 4th, and in no way was taken for need. He went exactly where he was expected.

Stutzle was ranked 3rd and went 3rd, and in no way was taken for need. Went exactly where expected.

Chabot was ranked 21st and went 18th, in no way taken for need. Went exactly where expected.

Boucher was ranked 29th, and went 10th. Nowhere near where expected.

Could have taken Knies with that 2nd, or the Roger pick. Exact same profile as Boucher, just looks much better right now. Would have been a much smaller reach than any of the guys we took, just looks like we bet on the wrong horses.

Just because the Sens picks aren’t looking great where they were taken doesn’t mean there weren’t guys available that offer the same skill set.

Sens obviously viewed Boucher as more than a physical guy, he’s yet to show any of that yet this season, lots of time left to lessen the blow.

Could very well turn out to be a shrewd pick, but to pretend like you can’t find guys like him later in the draft without reaching is just strange.

Last edited:

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
What does that even mean?

Brady was ranked 3rd and went 4th, and in no way was taken for need. He went exactly where he was expected.

Stutzle was ranked 3rd and went 3rd, and in no way was taken for need. Went exactly where expected.

Chabot was ranked 21st and went 18th, in no way taken for need. Went exactly where expected.

Boucher was ranked 29th, and went 10th. Nowhere near where expected.

Could have taken Knies with that 2nd, or the Roger pick. Exact same profile as Boucher, just looks much better right now. Would have been a much smaller reach than any of the guys we took, just looks like we bet on the wrong horses.

Just because the Sens picks aren’t looking great doesn’t mean there weren’t guys available that offer the same skill set.

Sens obviously viewed Boucher as more than a physical guy, he’s yet to show any of that yet this season, lots of time left to lessen the blow.

You are missing the point - the Sens didn’t have a later pick to secure they’d get the skill set they wanted.

We’re exaggerating the difference in projection between a 10 OA pick and a 29th OA pick. It’s so small that’s it’s better to acquire the skillset you want vs the skillset you don’t want.

Either way, clearly Silinger was ranked lower on the Sens board than Boucher.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
You are missing the point - the Sens didn’t have a later pick to secure they’d get the skill set they wanted.

We’re exaggerating the difference in projection between a 10 OA pick and a 29th OA pick. It’s so small that’s it’s better to acquire the skillset you want vs the skillset you don’t want.

Either way, clearly Silinger was ranked lower on the Sens board than Boucher.
You’re the one who said it worked for Tkchuck, Stutzle and Chabot. What do they have to do with the Boucher pick, whatsoever?

Sillinger has nothing to do with anything, can remove him completely from the picture and nothing changes in my view.

Drafting for a skill set, that early in the draft, is idiotic.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Drafting for a skill set, that early in the draft, is idiotic.

We did the same for Brady - we took his skillset over the more prolific scorers… most here wanted Zadina … I think we’ll be fine.

BTW… you can always draft for a skillset. It’s ludicrous to think otherwise.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
We did the same for Brady - we took his skillset over the more prolific scorers… I think we’ll be fine.

BTW… you can always draft for a skillset. It’s ludicrous to think otherwise.
Brady was ranked 3rd and went 4th, we drafted him because we felt he was the best player available. His skill set worked for the Sens absolutely. Did we do the same for Boucher? Likely, it just goes against the grain of every other team in the league compared to Tkchuck falling in line with every other team.

If Brady was expected to go around 25th you’d have a point.

Of course you can draft for need and skill set, just don’t expect it to work out well more often than not compared to who else was available, especially when it involves a large reach early in the draft.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
No team is trading an 23-24 ish year old “Boucher projection” with control for Silinger - any older and your trading for 1-2 years before the player leaves via UFA.

It doesn't need to be a 24 year old, that's the point, get a package that includes a physical guy closer to the tail end of his career to fill out that need. Sillenger is without a doubt a more valuable trade piece than a guy like Boucher, regardless of their respective age.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
It doesn't need to be a 24 year old, that's the point, get a package that includes a physical guy closer to the tail end of his career to fill out that need. Sillenger is without a doubt a more valuable trade piece than a guy like Boucher, regardless of their respective age.

Like how we got Watson ? Those guys are available but not with the skills I think the Sens are looking for.

The version of Watson that is a middle 6 forward is expensive and hard to acquire.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Easy to say much harder to do & it work out, Washington is not trading us Tom Wilson unless we give back the farm.

Interesting that Boucher in his second game really with the 67s is now playing on their top line. Maybe just maybe he has more skill than most here realize & if he can stay healthy we can finally see it. Of course, his type of skill is more similar to Tkachuk than Stutzle.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Do you or does anyone else have any statistical evidence regarding "drafting for need" versus "drafting for skill" versus "drafting BPA"?

It would be interesting to see the evidence/studies. I suspect there would be quite a discussion about the definitions for each type.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Easy to say much harder to do & it work out, Washington is not trading us Tom Wilson unless we give back the farm.

Interesting that Boucher in his second game really with the 67s is now playing on their top line. Maybe just maybe he has more skill than most here realize & if he can stay healthy we can finally see it. Of course, his type of skill is more similar to Tkachuk than Stutzle.
Good chance to get his 1st pt with the 67's maybe.
Just hit the post off a nice pass that should have been a tap in.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Is anyone watching this game? I can only listen on the radio right now but Boucher has been all over the place, but is he displaying any offensive skill at all? Is he creating much offence? He did hit a post.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

We’re a soft team that tries hard - you don’t become a heavy team that tries hard unless you acquire the right players. Opstachuk is the example of what we get if we wait for our 2ND puck to select that skill set.

What makes you think that, we lead the league in hits, and 2 more hits per game than second place, and third in fights, that doesn't sound soft to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad