OT: TV & Movie Thread: Part II

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Ah man, what did you not like about it?

I thought for a legacy sequel it was actually fun and they let it breath without contemporary Hollywood cliches.

Plus we even got a little NHL hockey in the movie!
Its not that I did not like it. I just thought it was average. I loved the first 2. The 3rd was average at best and I felt the same way about this one. It was interesting to see everybody older. Taggerts hair was very dark. The best thing about the movie was them using all the old music. The worst thing was they never used the Eddie Murphy laugh that was a big part of the early versions.

Yikes, Shelly Duval, Richard Simmons and now Shannen Doherty.
And Dr. Ruth.

Reactions: will1066

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Its not that I did not like it. I just thought it was average. I loved the first 2. The 3rd was average at best and I felt the same way about this one. It was interesting to see everybody older. Taggerts hair was very dark. The best thing about the movie was them using all the old music. The worst thing was they never used the Eddie Murphy laugh that was a big part of the early versions.

And Dr. Ruth.

Eddie Murphy has said in interviews that by the late-80s he started training himself to not laugh like that anymore because that's all people would want to talk about and always did it when they met him.

John Ashton clearly trying to stay as young as possible. He was actually only 36 when they did the first film and looked about 50. He doesn't act much anymore, per his IMDB looks like he shut it down during 2020 and only recently got back into the game from this.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Wife & I saw "Fly me to the Moon" the other night... pretty fun & funny movie.

Afterwards she was raving about it & I mentioned "From the Earth to the Moon" HBO miniseries from the late 90s

She had never watched it so we are now.

I remembering it being VERY good but man, I didn't remember just HOW amazing it is.

So many amazing actors in it, including Bryan Cranston lol

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Eddie Murphy has said in interviews that by the late-80s he started training himself to not laugh like that anymore because that's all people would want to talk about and always did it when they met him.

John Ashton clearly trying to stay as young as possible. He was actually only 36 when they did the first film and looked about 50. He doesn't act much anymore, per his IMDB looks like he shut it down during 2020 and only recently got back into the game from this.
The laugh was so huge. I think that was a mistake by Eddie. I thought they should have made a joke about Taggerts hair in the movie. Not addressing it at all seemed strange. It wasn't a bad movie. Just was not great. I went on a first date to the original movie.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
LongLegs was way too overhyped, credit to Neon for getting all the hype out there I guess? Wasn’t bad, but not even sure I even liked it.

Fly me to the Moon was fun, but stunned Apple put it in theaters, total streaming movie that people aren’t going to pay 10-20 bucks to see at a movie.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
The laugh was so huge. I think that was a mistake by Eddie. I thought they should have made a joke about Taggerts hair in the movie. Not addressing it at all seemed strange. It wasn't a bad movie. Just was not great. I went on a first date to the original movie.
Eddie's always been a pretty sensitive guy. Even recently when he said he was hurt by David Spade taking shots at one of his low periods in the mid-90s when he had a few misses.

He's a comic so he might have some level of depression. The first time he came back to SNL in the mid-2010s and didn't perform but gave the short monologue. He was very reclusive in those years.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Eddie's always been a pretty sensitive guy. Even recently when he said he was hurt by David Spade taking shots at one of his low periods in the mid-90s when he had a few misses.

He's a comic so he might have some level of depression. The first time he came back to SNL in the mid-2010s and didn't perform but gave the short monologue. He was very reclusive in those years.
I read that bit about Spade. I thought it was a real stretch on Eddies part but glad they made up. Eddie was so great when he was younger. I remember listing to his concert in my car on a cassette tape. :)

• Love
Reactions: Roo Returns

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I agree but thats kind of the problem. Movie standards have declined. I find myself watching low budget movies from 20 years ago and thinking thats not bad compared to many of todays movies. Kind of like some restaurants 😂
Watching Dedwood because I can’t find anything more recent and that’s more than just one season and that level of cinematic quality. Unfortunately, after this (+ the movie) I don't have or at least not aware of more choices that I haven’t given a chance yet.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
Watching Dedwood because I can’t find anything more recent and that’s more than just one season and that level of cinematic quality. Unfortunately, after this (+ the movie) I don't have or at least not aware of more choices that I haven’t given a chance yet.
What are you looking for? Maybe I can recommend something. (Thanks for the reminder -- I need to finish Deadwood.)

I'm close to the end of Season 4 of The Boys...have to say (IMO) it's a let down from Season 3. Still enjoying it though. Don't know if anyone else saw -- they've renewed it for a 5th season, which will be it's last. Gonna read the comics next.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I agree but thats kind of the problem. Movie standards have declined. I find myself watching low budget movies from 20 years ago and thinking thats not bad compared to many of todays movies. Kind of like some restaurants 😂
A car guy I follow just started Lost. I thought it must be so cool to have things like that from the past that were good but never watched.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
A car guy I follow just started Lost. I thought it must be so cool to have things like that from the past that were good but never watched.
I've got a number of external drives filled with stuff -- thanks to the quality of current programming, I have gone back and started watching stuff I should have watched before.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I finished watching "Turning Point: The bomb and the cold war". It was bleeping fantastic. One of the best documentaries I've ever seen. Although it's 9 episodes of about an hour so it's a big commitment but it was fantastic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Riche16

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
What are you looking for? Maybe I can recommend something. (Thanks for the reminder -- I need to finish Deadwood.)

I'm close to the end of Season 4 of The Boys...have to say (IMO) it's a let down from Season 3. Still enjoying it though. Don't know if anyone else saw -- they've renewed it for a 5th season, which will be it's last. Gonna read the comics next.
I like drama the most, sci-fi to a (significant) degree. Within both jenres I largely hate young adult branches.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
This post reminds me it may be time to start my semi-yearly rewatch of the holy trinity: The Sopranos, The Wire and Deadwood.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I like drama the most, sci-fi to a (significant) degree. Within both jenres I largely hate young adult branches.

Yellowstone
Firefly
Dune (Mini-Series)
Space: Above and Beyond
Lost in Space
Stargate Universe
Justified
See
Frontier
Fallout

I'll do another list if you've seen all of these

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Loved the new Beverly Hills Cop. Nothing will beat the first two but this movie was scored better than 3.

Also saw The Bear season 3... I was quite disappointed. It felt like the story made virtually no progress.

Reactions: Leonardo87

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Yellowstone
Firefly
Dune (Mini-Series)
Space: Above and Beyond
Lost in Space
Stargate Universe
Justified
See
Frontier
Fallout

I'll do another list if you've seen all of these
First of all thank you for putting in the effort.
Interesting that you didn’t put 1883 and 1923 next to Yellowstone.
Otherwise, I’ve seen or tried all of most of these. There’s also a bunch of one and done’s and low budget productions.
Fallout looks interesting but I don’t want to start a show with only one season available. Lost in Space is an example of what I consider young adults sub genre based on what I remember from starting it many years ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad