Turcotte- time to worry?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
The 5 OA argument doesn't really hold a lot of water right now, you could easily argue that the 4 players taken before Turcotte haven't lived up to their slots either. Byram is probably the closest right now but he's not played much so it's hard to say.

2019 was a poor draft year, plain and simple. 2020 will turn out to be much better, although the wrong guy went first.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
You hear players talk all the time about gaining man strength and thickening out the body. It is what it is, a function of time and experience.

Turrcotte must've been 165-170 at most the last time saw him play.He , like most kid s just need the time to put on the pounds. He's only 20 guys, give him some time.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
The 5 OA argument doesn't really hold a lot of water right now, you could easily argue that the 4 players taken before Turcotte haven't lived up to their slots either. Byram is probably the closest right now but he's not played much so it's hard to say.

2019 was a poor draft year, plain and simple. 2020 will turn out to be much better, although the wrong guy went first.

Disagree. Time will tell but early returns show otherwise. 2019 first round was deep. In a future redraft we might not have a single player in the same draft position and that includes the #1 Hughes who Zegras can challenge for. Some 2nd rounders ie Kaliyev might also be in the top 30 as well. That first round had loads of talent.

Like I said in other posts, once Byram(their pick) was off the board they should of been more open to look at the rest of the field instead of going with a "safe" pick. This wasn't a Byfeild vs Stuzle situation it should of been wide open at 5. To be fair most draft projections had him going top 5. Only Button had him outside the top 10 I believe. It would of took some balls for the Kings to do it but Detroit did it(went off the boards) and they are more that happy with Seider.

Still think Turcotte is fine, his 200 foot game will most probably translate but he will have alot to prove that his #5 pick was warranted considering future star players #1C, #1D and #1Goalie were all picked after him.

Last edited:

Vino

Mar 19, 2006
Finland
This wasn't a Byfeild vs Stuzle situation it should of been wide open at 5. To be fair most draft projections had him going top 5. Only Button had him outside the top 10 I believe.

THN Draft Preview also. Turcotte was #10 jus behind Caufield. Hughes, Kakko, Cozens, Dach, Podkolzin Byram, Zegras, Boldy, Caufield, Turcotte.

Their description was pretty good and accurate.

"Averaging almost two points per game not playing with Jack Hughes - who happens to be his roommate - Turcotte has no shortage of offensive ability. The only problem is he had very real problems staying healthy, which limited his viewings by scouts.

The son of former NHLer Alfie Turcotte brings a hig level of determination in his game and combines that with a being very good skater and an honest two-way player. "He chases the puck, he pursues the puck, he pressures the puck," sais one scout. "And when he loses it, he gets it back."

As has been the case with other centers who had played behind Hughes, it's difficult to determine exactly where Turcotte projects in an NHL lineup, something has exacerbated by his injuries this season. "As long he can stay healthy, he looks like a really good high-functioned second-line center," said another scout. "I don't see him as a first line center. I look him as an 80-percent second line center and a 20-percent third-line center. He does those things you want your second-line center to do."

[Best case future scenario Brayden Point]

Last edited:

apocalypse

Dean Lombardi's Yes Man
Mar 20, 2017
Los Angeles
THN Draft Preview also. Turcotte was #10 jus behind Caufield. Hughes, Kakko, Cozens, Dach, Podkolzin Byram, Zegras, Boldy, Caufield, Turcotte.

Their description was pretty good and accurate.

"Averaging almost two points per game not playing with Jack Hughes - who happens to be his roommate - Turcotte has no shortage of offensive ability. The only problem is he had very real problems staying healthy, which limited his viewings by scouts.

The son of former NHLer Alfie Turcotte brings a hig level of determination in his game and combines that with a being very good skater and an honest two-way player. "He chases the puck, he pursues the puck, he pressures the puck," sais one scout. "And when he loses it, he gets it back."

As has been the case with other centers who had played behind Hughes, it's difficult to determine exactly where Turcotte projects in an NHL lineup, something has exacerbated by his injuries this season. "As long he can stay healthy, he looks like a really good high-functioned second-line center," said another scout. "I don't see him as a first line center. I look him as an 80-percent second line center and a 20-percent third-line center. He does those things you want your second-line center to do."

[Best case future scenario Brayden Point]
He's going to be a first line center. Just wait and see.

Reactions: FSL KINGS

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'd be fine with first line left wing, too.

It's tough because although his pace/style of game work so well at C, it's hard to see him taking over at C until Kopitar/Danault are gone with Byfield and others in the mix.

But I have no doubt he's at least a higher-pace Alex Iafallo--maybe more playmaking, lesser shot though.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Per Hoven, we'd be looking at something like:

Moore - Turcotte - Arvidsson

Also, Sturm and Yawney to protocol as well.

Reactions: bsu

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Disagree. Time will tell but early returns show otherwise. 2019 first round was deep. In a future redraft we might not have a single player in the same draft position and that includes the #1 Hughes who Zegras can challenge for. Some 2nd rounders ie Kaliyev might also be in the top 30 as well. That first round had loads of talent.

Like I said in other posts, once Byram(their pick) was off the board they should of been more open to look at the rest of the field instead of going with a "safe" pick. This wasn't a Byfeild vs Stuzle situation it should of been wide open at 5. To be fair most draft projections had him going top 5. Only Button had him outside the top 10 I believe. It would of took some balls for the Kings to do it but Detroit did it(went off the boards) and they are more that happy with Seider.

Still think Turcotte is fine, his 200 foot game will most probably translate but he will have alot to prove that his #5 pick was warranted considering future star players #1C, #1D and #1Goalie were all picked after him.

The problem with criticizing the Turcotte pick is that Vilardi was a massive question mark at the time due to injury and Kupari projected as a middle 6 player, and there was no QB in the fold. It might seem tough to envision now but the Kings had big question marks down the middle at the time of the pick and had to address it. I guess with how Zegras looks we would have hoped our scouts would have seen that (or seen Seider) but Seider is a defenseman and Zegras had some concerns about how his game would translate as a pivot at the NHL level.

The same was true the next year, after a pretty underwhelming freshman year in college from Turcotte and Vilardi looking more like a 2C than a 1C it meant the Kings rebuild lacked a legit 1C prospect so taking QB made more sense than taking Stutzle with his potential concerns about becoming C at the NHL level.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
For the folks who think I'm just a blowhard and that Turcotte is 'struggling':

Practice 12/26: We're Back! Doughty activated, Turcotte to taxi, Brown/Maatta & staff to protocol + McLellan quotes - LA Kings Insider

[TM] On what he wants to see, and has seen, from Alex Turcotte this season:

We want to see growth. We know where he was coming out of training camp, which was close to being a full-time NHL’er. He’s gone to the American League now, and of course their season is disrupted somewhat and he’s fought through some injuries, but when he’s been able to play, his game’s been a very consistent, two-way game. He’s a player that is an energy type player, he’s involved in everything. He strips a lot of pucks, creates turnovers for his teammates and we’ll be looking for that. How is he defensively, is he able to read things quicker and close things quicker, but by all indications, through Chris Hajt, his play there has been deserving of his recall at this point.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
For the folks who think I'm just a blowhard and that Turcotte is 'struggling':

Practice 12/26: We're Back! Doughty activated, Turcotte to taxi, Brown/Maatta & staff to protocol + McLellan quotes - LA Kings Insider

[TM] On what he wants to see, and has seen, from Alex Turcotte this season:

We want to see growth. We know where he was coming out of training camp, which was close to being a full-time NHL’er. He’s gone to the American League now, and of course their season is disrupted somewhat and he’s fought through some injuries, but when he’s been able to play, his game’s been a very consistent, two-way game. He’s a player that is an energy type player, he’s involved in everything. He strips a lot of pucks, creates turnovers for his teammates and we’ll be looking for that. How is he defensively, is he able to read things quicker and close things quicker, but by all indications, through Chris Hajt, his play there has been deserving of his recall at this point.

Could be a blessing then that the Kings are bringing up Hajt with Sturm and Yawney in protocol.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Mats26

Sep 16, 2005
The problem with criticizing the Turcotte pick is that Vilardi was a massive question mark at the time due to injury and Kupari projected as a middle 6 player, and there was no QB in the fold. It might seem tough to envision now but the Kings had big question marks down the middle at the time of the pick and had to address it. I guess with how Zegras looks we would have hoped our scouts would have seen that (or seen Seider) but Seider is a defenseman and Zegras had some concerns about how his game would translate as a pivot at the NHL level.

The same was true the next year, after a pretty underwhelming freshman year in college from Turcotte and Vilardi looking more like a 2C than a 1C it meant the Kings rebuild lacked a legit 1C prospect so taking QB made more sense than taking Stutzle with his potential concerns about becoming C at the NHL level.

Agreed on all fronts but I am hoping that Turcotte was indeed the BPA for them at #5. Picking for need backfires quite often. Knowing that Byram was their target warrants some questioning. QB was the right pick at #2. True #1C potential. It all comes down to development now and whether or not they reach their ceilings.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Agreed on all fronts but I am hoping that Turcotte was indeed the BPA for them at #5. Picking for need backfires quite often. Knowing that Byram was their target warrants some questioning. QB was the right pick at #2. True #1C potential. It all comes down to development now and whether or not they reach their ceilings.

I don't think they picked for need, FWIW. I think, even at this early stage, that the top-10 or so were still close enough that any decision appears to be rational. It's no real surprise that now, at age 20, a lot of these guys are just starting to show signs of who they will be, and i think it'll take another year or two to make more definitive proclamations--remember that Dach was the early runaway hit pick, well, right now he's on pace for 35 points, which is a step back. I don't think Chicago rethinks that pick, but I can imagine the consternation if he were doing that on the Kings...I think looking around that these guys are a lot of what we thought they were, kids that needed a LOT more development, especially physically (Hughes, Turcotte) or in coming to NA and playing an NA type game. It's also no surprise that guys with a really high end mental game--Seider, Zegras (and also on the physical development end for Mo)--are adjusting more quickly but I also think we have to be careful about selling 'early/quicker development' as 'definitively better player' (see: Dach).

Just looking at how those top picks are doing this year-
1. Hughes--point paces have gone from 28-45-50, appears much more comfortable/dangerous this year
2. Kakko--point paces 28-29-31, a slow growth, was struggling with produciton but sure 'looks' the big forward part, guy is getting absolutely monstrous and he seems like he's on the verge of a breakout that just hasn't happened quite yet.
3. Dach--see above
4. Byram --tough ask to crack a contender's d lineup but he looks like he's taken a huge step forward and fits what they're doing very well, especially since he can be Voynov to Makar's Doughty. 9 points in 13 games this year. If he was in fact the Kings' guy, looks like they were right about him.
5. Turcotte--excitement building/pending depending on who you are.
6. Seider--total monster on D, can see a Norris in his future. 21 points in 31 NHL games. Knew he'd be a solid pick, did not expect the offense to pick up so much, and it's funny that he's answered the DEL questions in much greater confidence than Stutzle has thus far.
7. Cozens--I remember pre-draft some had him really high, I can see why some would advocate for him in place of Turcotte from a 'well if you're just looking for a big 2C' standpoint--I personally still think Turcotte has higher upside so I get the swing, but Cozens is a pretty sure thing already, on pace for just over 40 points and you have to admire a 'leadership' guy who accepts the challenge in Buffalo and faces it head-on.
8. Broberg--honestly don't know what to make of him at this point, I wasn't high on him before, still not really high on him now, but the AHL results are there at least, and no reason he can't get some insulated playing time in Edmonton. I just don't see him as much better than Bjornfot.
9. Zegras--dont' need to say much more here, he's looking like the star of the draft
10. Podkolzin--Kinda hasn't taken a huge step forward, but he looks like a big, strong complementary winger. Just not sure how much production would follow, but he looks the part of a 40 point top sixer at least.

I mean in looking at all that, there's not a ton separating 1 from 10, with the notable exceptions of the NHL performances of Seider and Zegras thus far. I'd say most predraft rankings had Turcotte as BPA (people were pretty surprised Chicago didn't take him IIRC) and Zegras as high upside, but riskier, and I know there were a handful here who were 'satisfied' with the Turcotte pick as it appeared safer but immediately thought you should swing for the fences with Zegras.

Reactions: dick341

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I hope he shows well. Too bad we can't play with Pepe and Lizotte, from what we hear about his game he'd do well with some fast puck hounds and then having Pepe to make sure other players don't take advantage of his size and get him hurt.

I was thinking that too, but a little different--Lemieux-Turcotte-Kaliyev. Regardless it appears they want some continuity with a 'vet' line of Iafallo-Kopitar-Kempe for big minutes and some consistency with a strong line in Lemieux-Lizotte Kaliyev that we know can also be effective rather than three sort of wild-card lines with Danault out and TUrcotte on his first game ALL vs. a tough experienced opponent in VGK

Reactions: RocketKing

Mats26

Sep 16, 2005
I don't think they picked for need, FWIW. I think, even at this early stage, that the top-10 or so were still close enough that any decision appears to be rational. It's no real surprise that now, at age 20, a lot of these guys are just starting to show signs of who they will be, and i think it'll take another year or two to make more definitive proclamations--remember that Dach was the early runaway hit pick, well, right now he's on pace for 35 points, which is a step back. I don't think Chicago rethinks that pick, but I can imagine the consternation if he were doing that on the Kings...I think looking around that these guys are a lot of what we thought they were, kids that needed a LOT more development, especially physically (Hughes, Turcotte) or in coming to NA and playing an NA type game. It's also no surprise that guys with a really high end mental game--Seider, Zegras (and also on the physical development end for Mo)--are adjusting more quickly but I also think we have to be careful about selling 'early/quicker development' as 'definitively better player' (see: Dach).

Just looking at how those top picks are doing this year-
1. Hughes--point paces have gone from 28-45-50, appears much more comfortable/dangerous this year
2. Kakko--point paces 28-29-31, a slow growth, was struggling with produciton but sure 'looks' the big forward part, guy is getting absolutely monstrous and he seems like he's on the verge of a breakout that just hasn't happened quite yet.
3. Dach--see above
4. Byram --tough ask to crack a contender's d lineup but he looks like he's taken a huge step forward and fits what they're doing very well, especially since he can be Voynov to Makar's Doughty. 9 points in 13 games this year. If he was in fact the Kings' guy, looks like they were right about him.
5. Turcotte--excitement building/pending depending on who you are.
6. Seider--total monster on D, can see a Norris in his future. 21 points in 31 NHL games. Knew he'd be a solid pick, did not expect the offense to pick up so much, and it's funny that he's answered the DEL questions in much greater confidence than Stutzle has thus far.
7. Cozens--I remember pre-draft some had him really high, I can see why some would advocate for him in place of Turcotte from a 'well if you're just looking for a big 2C' standpoint--I personally still think Turcotte has higher upside so I get the swing, but Cozens is a pretty sure thing already, on pace for just over 40 points and you have to admire a 'leadership' guy who accepts the challenge in Buffalo and faces it head-on.
8. Broberg--honestly don't know what to make of him at this point, I wasn't high on him before, still not really high on him now, but the AHL results are there at least, and no reason he can't get some insulated playing time in Edmonton. I just don't see him as much better than Bjornfot.
9. Zegras--dont' need to say much more here, he's looking like the star of the draft
10. Podkolzin--Kinda hasn't taken a huge step forward, but he looks like a big, strong complementary winger. Just not sure how much production would follow, but he looks the part of a 40 point top sixer at least.

I mean in looking at all that, there's not a ton separating 1 from 10, with the notable exceptions of the NHL performances of Seider and Zegras thus far. I'd say most predraft rankings had Turcotte as BPA (people were pretty surprised Chicago didn't take him IIRC) and Zegras as high upside, but riskier, and I know there were a handful here who were 'satisfied' with the Turcotte pick as it appeared safer but immediately thought you should swing for the fences with Zegras.

I don't think you should limit the 2019 to the top 10. There are players who will surprise in the coming years outside the top 10 picks. We have a few already in Tobi and Kaliyev. Newhook, Harley and Pelletier quickly come to mind as under the radar types. It was a deep draft, and I disagree with the one poster that does not think it was. It's all about development now, in 3-5 years we'll see how they turn out.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don't think you should limit the 2019 to the top 10. There are players who will surprise in the coming years outside the top 10 picks. We have a few already in Tobi and Kaliyev. Newhook, Harley and Pelletier quickly come to mind as under the radar types. It was a deep draft, and I disagree with the one poster that does not think it was. It's all about development now, in 3-5 years we'll see how they turn out.

I totally agree, I just didn't want to audit the entire first round, lol, and I limited to that because I think our 'realistic' picks without trading down were limited to the players in the top 10 maybe plus Knight. I was only doing it as an illustration that the draft was very closely contested and the depth that you point out only helps emphasize that (i know more than a few people were extremely high on Knight and Newhook just as an example).

apocalypse

Dean Lombardi's Yes Man
Mar 20, 2017
Los Angeles
I was thinking that too, but a little different--Lemieux-Turcotte-Kaliyev. Regardless it appears they want some continuity with a 'vet' line of Iafallo-Kopitar-Kempe for big minutes and some consistency with a strong line in Lemieux-Lizotte Kaliyev that we know can also be effective rather than three sort of wild-card lines with Danault out and TUrcotte on his first game ALL vs. a tough experienced opponent in VGK
I really think LA would take off with a great second line. Right now LA is going with the Danault line as their second, whereas that line is a checking line, and a really good one at that. They're not expected to be relied on for their offense. But if you add a second line of Arvy - Byfield/Turcotte - Kempe and a first line of Kupari - Kopi - Kaliyev, this team would kill it. I think Turcotte's more NHL ready and I'd like to see Byfield sit a little longer, but when they come up, oh man...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad