Turcotte- time to worry?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Turcotte will play 5-8 minutes a game for the first three NHL games. In his forth game he'll get his first ever NHL goal, a beautiful assist and be a +3 on the night.....and promptly sent back down to Ontario in the morning ;)

How original…

Trying to remember the Calder candidates that the Kings have sent back down this year.

Last edited:

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Per Zach Dooley...

Iafallo – Kopitar – Kempe
Moore – Turcotte* – Arvidsson
Lemieux – Lizotte – Kaliyev
Andersson – Kupari – Grundstrom
Frk*

Anderson – Doughty
Wolanin – Roy
Bjornfot – Durzi
Moverare*

Quick / Sparks
*indicates taxi squad member

With the options in front of us, at this time, all signs point towards Alex Turcotte making his NHL debut tomorrow evening against Vegas. Counting on anything at all more than 24 hours from now – heck, 24 minutes from now – would be foolish, but assuming all stays according to play, Todd McLellan called it a “good chance” Turcotte is in line to draw in tomorrow.

If Turcotte does draw in, it will likely be at the center position. Per McLellan, Turcotte has been on the verge of a recall in the past, merited by his play, until injuries got in the way. He’s earned his shot here today, though it’s important to remember that this is a 20-year-old player who has yet to play in an NHL game. He’s on his own development path, and it’s important to remember that regarding Turcotte, or any up and coming Kings prospect.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Per Zach Dooley...

If Turcotte does draw in, it will likely be at the center position. Per McLellan, Turcotte has been on the verge of a recall in the past, merited by his play, until injuries got in the way. He’s earned his shot here today, though it’s important to remember that this is a 20-year-old player who has yet to play in an NHL game. He’s on his own development path, and it’s important to remember that regarding Turcotte, or any up and coming Kings prospect.

Kings development path for top six forwards

maxresdefault.jpg

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Can't wait to see Turcotte. Kid's a beast. Let me guess, Danault is on covid protocol...

yup, along with Byfield, got called up and went to COVID protocol almost immediately. Maatta, Brown are out too.

Things might change but looks like: (according to Hoven)

Iafallo – Kopitar – Kempe
Moore – Turcotte – Arvidsson
Andersson – JAD – Grundstrom
Lemieux – Lizotte – Kaliyev

Other options: Frk and Kupari
IR: Athanasiou
Protocol: Brown and Danault (He forgot to add Byfield)

Anderson – Doughty
Wolanin – Roy
Bjornfot – Durzi

Other options: Moverare
Protocol: Maatta

Quick (starter)
Sparks
Protocol: Petersen

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Bold take, Turcotte isn’t going back to Ontario again.
Breaking into this league is tough. I hope he seizes the moment and runs with it. That's what great prospects do.

Problem is Kopitar, Danault, Byfield and Lizotte all look to have center spots locked up.

People may scoff at the idea of Lizotte in the lineup over Turcotte, but he's developed into a very good 4th line C and the coaching staff loves him.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I thnk Wrobo's comments on Turcotte's development are pretty insightful re: trajectory vs. other guys:

"Ontario Reign Head Coach John Wroblewski on Turcotte, from earlier this season
Alex is ultimately the type of player that is going to be just the consummate teammate. I think he’s looked for reassurance before, today I just saw a guy really comfortable in his skin. He knows he’s a leader out there, his game looks amazing by the way, you can see the differences in the body type and the confidence level and the shot, like how it explodes off his stick just a little bit crisper. It’s earned confidence, that’s a term that I try to roll with, with these guys like you can’t have hubris, you can’t be cocky, but if you’ve earned it, then own it. Whether or not he cracks the Kings this year, I’m not sure it’s going to determine his career. I think that he’s in a spot where – some of these guys that are like 6-foot-3, 6-foot-4 that were drafted in his class, some of the guys that are maybe a little bit better on the periphery on the outside, the game doesn’t change as much for those guys. When you navigate in the trenches like Alex does, when your job is to be at the net front, in the corners and win puck battles, especially out here in the west, every defenseman is 6-foot-3, 6-foot-4, they’ll grab on, they’ll hold. So his navigation process has changed and had to evolve differently from the guys that were in his draft class. And I see somebody who seems like he’s only more determined instead of saying ‘why not me in the NHL’, he’s saying, ‘I’ll get there if I earn it’."

Alex Turcotte expected to make NHL debut this evening against Vegas - LA Kings Insider

Steve Zissou

Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
I think that he’s in a spot where – some of these guys that are like 6-foot-3, 6-foot-4 that were drafted in his class, some of the guys that are maybe a little bit better on the periphery on the outside, the game doesn’t change as much for those guys. When you navigate in the trenches like Alex does, when your job is to be at the net front, in the corners and win puck battles, especially out here in the west, every defenseman is 6-foot-3, 6-foot-4, they’ll grab on, they’ll hold. So his navigation process has changed and had to evolve differently from the guys that were in his draft class.

I forget where I read the article a few weeks ago but it mentioned Turcotte acknowledging that he had never really 'worked out' until arriving in LA.

It was an eye opening experience to notice the established players were so much stronger and developed that had to step up his off-ice game (working out, eating right, etc.) if he wanted to make the jump.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I forget where I read the article a few weeks ago but it mentioned Turcotte acknowledging that he had never really 'worked out' until arriving in LA.

It was an eye opening experience to notice the established players were so much stronger and developed that had to step up his off-ice game (working out, eating right, etc.) if he wanted to make the jump.

Did he not work out while in Wisconsin?

Reactions: tbrown33

Mats26

Sep 16, 2005
I thnk Wrobo's comments on Turcotte's development are pretty insightful re: trajectory vs. other guys:

"Ontario Reign Head Coach John Wroblewski on Turcotte, from earlier this season
Alex is ultimately the type of player that is going to be just the consummate teammate. I think he’s looked for reassurance before, today I just saw a guy really comfortable in his skin. He knows he’s a leader out there, his game looks amazing by the way, you can see the differences in the body type and the confidence level and the shot, like how it explodes off his stick just a little bit crisper. It’s earned confidence, that’s a term that I try to roll with, with these guys like you can’t have hubris, you can’t be cocky, but if you’ve earned it, then own it. Whether or not he cracks the Kings this year, I’m not sure it’s going to determine his career. I think that he’s in a spot where – some of these guys that are like 6-foot-3, 6-foot-4 that were drafted in his class, some of the guys that are maybe a little bit better on the periphery on the outside, the game doesn’t change as much for those guys. When you navigate in the trenches like Alex does, when your job is to be at the net front, in the corners and win puck battles, especially out here in the west, every defenseman is 6-foot-3, 6-foot-4, they’ll grab on, they’ll hold. So his navigation process has changed and had to evolve differently from the guys that were in his draft class. And I see somebody who seems like he’s only more determined instead of saying ‘why not me in the NHL’, he’s saying, ‘I’ll get there if I earn it’."

Alex Turcotte expected to make NHL debut this evening against Vegas - LA Kings Insider

paroles, paroles et paroles....lol

It's Alex's time now to showcase his talent. Hoping for a good 200 foot game from him. Not an easy assignment tonight either, but we can compare Turk and JAD play as centers on the ice vs Vegas which will be interesting since the center positions are so hotly contested.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Steve Zissou

Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Did he not work out while in Wisconsin?

Not take it as serious as the pros. Make me think Granato needs to get the kids ready! After all, he looked tiny under his huge shoulder pads back in the 80’s. But he did play a big game.

Huge difference between ‘working out’ and working out.

Huge.

HUGE.

HUUUUUUGE.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I mean I 'worked out' during HS but I WORKED OUT during college hockey, nutrition, 2-a-days, etc.

Remember seeing footage last summer or the summer before of Turcotte going hard and though he was bulking up he was still just a kid

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
paroles, paroles et paroles....lol

It's Alex's time now to showcase his talent. Hoping for a good 200 foot game from him. Not an easy assignment tonight either, but we can compare Turk and JAD play as centers on the ice vs Vegas which will be interesting since the center positions are so hotly contested.

I know it's just words and we get to see it in practice tonight, but I also don't think there's much to disagree with there, dude is most effective going to high traffic areas and getting his nose dirty and vs. a guy like Dach who is already a beast he's got a size thing to do and vs. a guy like Zegras who does most of his damage dancing around contact Turcotte goes at it, I think it makes sense that there's more of a learning curve. Just like in the main board thread his detractors are going to answer that evaluation with a hearty yawn so :dunno:

Tonight's game is gonna be weird in a lot of ways

Reactions: dick341

Mats26

Sep 16, 2005
I know it's just words and we get to see it in practice tonight, but I also don't think there's much to disagree with there, dude is most effective going to high traffic areas and getting his nose dirty and vs. a guy like Dach who is already a beast he's got a size thing to do and vs. a guy like Zegras who does most of his damage dancing around contact Turcotte goes at it, I think it makes sense that there's more of a learning curve. Just like in the main board thread his detractors are going to answer that evaluation with a hearty yawn so :dunno:

Tonight's game is gonna be weird in a lot of ways

Yes, also going to be really weird to see a prospect start in the top 6. Seems like it's been a long while that happen.

Don't like Moore on his line should of had Iafallo there but I understand why. I' am guessing in case Alex is losing draws, then Moore can switch over to center to take them? Turk's first game, not expecting much, but if he pots one it will be huge for his confidence.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Not take it as serious as the pros. Make me think Granato needs to get the kids ready! After all, he looked tiny under his huge shoulder pads back in the 80’s. But he did play a big game.

Huge difference between ‘working out’ and working out.

Huge.

HUGE.

HUUUUUUGE.

I understand that and appreciate the response. It's just that one of the draws/benefits to NCAA hockey is they typically emphasize "working out" because 1) they have a lighter schedule than junior hockey and 2) the competition is bigger.

So I am concerned why it wasn't taken seriously. Is that a Wisconsin issue or Turcotte issue?

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Turcotte looked great. Most of the game was brutal but he was certainly a bright spot. A little jumpy, a little out of control, but definitely a bright spot. Hopefully he gets at least a few more games too.

If nothing else, our top prospects have certainly faced adversity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad