Turcotte- time to worry?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Didnt get a chance to watch, how did he do?

Decent first game considering it was roller derby night at Crypto.com instead of a hockey game. Brought some Lizotte type of energy. Needs to slow down play at times but overall came as advertised. Still not sure about his production. Feel he needs to play with a sniper and playmaker to produce.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Very good speed, puck-handling, edge work, motor etc. Everything he's known for. He had a few good high danger moments. Had one major goof where he lost his stick in front of Quick and Moore tried to flick it back to him and sent it off to his left instead. He tried to retrieve it and left the front of the net wide open for Vegas to just tip one in on the doorstep. He also collided with Doughty, but there were about 4 other times when Kings players collided with one another. It was ridiculous.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Noticable difference between the first two periods and the third. Once the game was seemingly out of reach he relaxed a bit and played his game. Had three half-chances that could have led to goals with a little bit of fortune.

The goal against when he lost his stick was comical. He and Doughty collided, Turcotte lost his stick in front of him. As he was moving forward to pick it up, I think it was Arvidsson who flipped his stick towards him but accidentally over his head. As Turcotte turned around and took a couple of strides to get it, the puck ended up right in the slot for an easy goal. Would have been fine had his teammate not intervened, but he shouldn't have tried to chase it that second time.

Kids need to make these mistakes to learn from them. The Kings are not a good team and it would behoove them to continue letting the kids get these lessons out of the way sooner than later.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Exactly, he looked fine. Good tools, skating, fought along the boards, and clearly had drive. He was obviously a jittery rookie, but these kids have the most rope on the team. I am fine with them getting out there and learning.

There's enough to be optimistic about with the kids without placing the weight of them saving the team on their shoulders just yet. It's not their fault this team is a tire fire with the worst special teams tactics. They are holding up their end in the AHL.

Zegras only has 54 NHL games in hand and while he has looked very impressive, he is not some elite, dominant player, yet. The kids deserve more patience, it is the ownership, staff, coaching, and team leadership that really needs to be under fire.

Last edited:

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Happy for Turcotte. Got his first game under his belt. I thought he was okay. Clearly has a motor that just won’t quit, but that’s not enough at the NHL level to make a difference. Not many chances created while he was on the ice. I liked how he forechecks and created some turnovers. The shift where he took out Doughty and lost his man for a goal was comical in its ineptitude.

I’m sure I’m in the minority, but he doesn’t yet belong. Needs to develop physically and skill wise. Just one game. He’ll get a few games and go back to the A.

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley
Happy for Turcotte. Got his first game under his belt. I thought he was okay. Clearly has a motor that just won’t quit, but that’s not enough at the NHL level to make a difference. Not many chances created while he was on the ice. I liked how he forechecks and created some turnovers. The shift where he took out Doughty and lost his man for a goal was comical in its ineptitude.

I’m sure I’m in the minority, but he doesn’t yet belong. Needs to develop physically and skill wise. Just one game. He’ll get a few games and go back to the A.
He didn't lose his man. He was right in position, but his stick was knocked out by DD, who was inexplicably found screening Quick with with nobody around him. DD was freelancing and trying to help out Turcotte. Turcotte didn't expect him there. That's the only reason I can think of for DD to be there in that situation.

Last edited:

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Much better game 2. Buzzing out there. If he could of just converted that pass for the tap in, would of done a ton for his confidence. Kid is alright just needs to focus on improving his shot\overall strength. Keeps working like he did he'll get rewarded eventually.

JeanBlanc

Jul 8, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
Much better game 2. Buzzing out there. If he could of just converted that pass for the tap in, would of done a ton for his confidence. Kid is alright just needs to focus on improving his shot\overall strength. Keeps working like he did he'll get rewarded eventually.
Agreed. Had a nice shot on goal driving wide to the right boards, lowering his shoulder, then putting it backhand on net. Not a grade A chance, but showed great hustle, and made a good safe play, not missing the net and starting a Vancouver opportunity.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Any stoppage of play where he was on the ice, he was right in front of the net. He's gonna get some greasy ones for sure.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Turcotte is going to be a forecheck monster. He played fewer than 10 minutes last night but from what I saw he really made them count. It's going to be hard for me to rationalize if he gets sent back down given that he's got top six potential but skills right now that will lend him to being a very good bottom six energy guy. He has the motor, he doesn't quit, and if the goal is to put the kids in the bottom six and let them simmer, Turcotte's ready.

Reactions: Chazz Reinhold

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I think with Turcotte, we don't want to Kyle Clifford him. I think he's got some offensive upside that he's only going to reach at the pro level with good minutes and PP opportunities and he's not getting the 1st in LA and he's not getting the 2nd in Ontario.

Otherwise, he's an oven-ready plug-and-play type player that TM and any coach should love. That last play he made last night where he came screaming in on the forecheck and had hit AND disarmed the Philly D of the puck and centered a pass all within a second or two before the guy (Sanheim? Provorov? it was one of the top 3) even realized WTF happened was Turc in a nutshell. Pace, pace, pace, everything is on Red Bull when he's out there, and you can see how abusive he is already despite his size, imagine when he puts on a little bit of man strength.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
I think with Turcotte, we don't want to Kyle Clifford him. I think he's got some offensive upside that he's only going to reach at the pro level with good minutes and PP opportunities and he's not getting the 1st in LA and he's not getting the 2nd in Ontario.

Otherwise, he's an oven-ready plug-and-play type player that TM and any coach should love. That last play he made last night where he came screaming in on the forecheck and had hit AND disarmed the Philly D of the puck and centered a pass all within a second or two before the guy (Sanheim? Provorov? it was one of the top 3) even realized WTF happened was Turc in a nutshell. Pace, pace, pace, everything is on Red Bull when he's out there, and you can see how abusive he is already despite his size, imagine when he puts on a little bit of man strength.
even better, it was ristolainen, and it was turc's first shift 7 minutes into the damn period

and he got slashed twice after the takeaway right in front of the ref but that's another story

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
You have to drop down to 21st overall to see anyone in the 2019 draft with less games played and points than Turcotte

Attachments

• 1651454603326.png
    1651454603326.png
    579.1 KB · Views: 15

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
You have to drop down to 21st overall to see anyone in the 2019 draft with less games played and points than Turcotte

Well shit, he's a bust then. I'm mean it's not like there were other factors that have prevented him from playing more. A healthy Duch has only 19 goals in his 3 years with the Hawks. That would worry me more.

Reactions: Schrute farms

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Dach was out several months in 20-21 with a severe wrist injury...
True, but he's played 144 more nhl games than Turcotte. 9 g, 17 a, -18 in 70 games this season. I wonder if the Hawks fans question his development under the microscope too?

Last edited:

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
True, but he's played 144 more nhl games than Turcotte. 9 g, 17 a, -18 in 70 games this season. I wonder if the Hawks fans question his development under the microscope too?
Dach proved he belonged in the NHL playoffs.
A severe wrist injury slowed him down.
Post automatically merged:

He's probably not going to add much to his totals at the NHL level next year, either.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
I'm not worried. See me in 2-3 years and we'll have a better idea of the Story of Turcotte.

I guess it's just the natures of fans and even more so message boards -- most are either being an extreme homer on something or they are complaining/bitching/angry/arguing/overreactions/etc. Seemingly not enough with common sense, patience, open minds, level-headed, practicality, etc.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I think at this point I would have to rank Turcotte behind Fagemo and Chromiak in terms of forward prospects. I hope he turns some heads over the next couple of weeks and into training camp.

Peter James Bond II

"Man, we were right there" - De-Luc-sional
Mar 5, 2015
It's almost like he's been written off by many or that he will ever be healthy and emerge to what expectations of what most thought he would become.....even then, virtually everyone thinks he'll be limited offensively and never reach his initial expectations. That said, it's almost like he's a sleeper that honestly has lots of potential and I believe we will start seeing that next year.

It would not make any sense to deal him at this time, as you would certainly be selling low. I hope he has a great playoffs and his best games yet.

Reactions: Fat Elvis

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Well shit, he's a bust then. I'm mean it's not like there were other factors that have prevented him from playing more. A healthy Duch has only 19 goals in his 3 years with the Hawks. That would worry me more.
I not saying he's a bust per se. Im more pointing out additional evidence he's way behind his draft class in terms of development. I dont think anyone has put up a list like I did where you can see the number of games played for each prospect - I found that a cool stat to check out.

Reactions: Steve Zissou

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Dach is a disappointment too, some people will cling to his playoff performance two years ago much like Turcotte’s WJC, but what since is there to be excited about for a 3OA? He has not come close to the playing at a level expected of a #3 overall pick. Just like with Turcotte and the Kings it is hurting the Hawks in the present, and if things don’t improve, in the future. You only get so many chances to pick in the Top 5.

Go look at when the vast majority of high-end forwards in the league started to establish themselves, especially players taken with very high picks, It’s waaaaaaay younger than I think most at this forum realize. I think many are stuck in the dead puck era where players were still “kids” until they were 22-24. Just not really the case anymore.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad