Turcotte- time to worry?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

apocalypse

Dean Lombardi's Yes Man
Mar 20, 2017
Los Angeles
Nobody is cheering for Turcotte to fail, people are just stating as a matter of fact that the selection of Turcotte is turning out to be a major dud, and there are plenty of reasons why fans should be concerned with his future. He could be the biggest waste of a top five selection since Thomas Hickey.

That's not Turcotte's fault and I'm not blaming him for that, but we already had some people expressing concern in his draft year, before the Kings even selected him, about his ability to play the way he does against tougher competition. And sadly, those concerns were justified.
Of course it has nothing to do with the fact that the Kings can't develop talent.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Of course it's something they can control. How about giving him 1st line minutes instead of tynan and co? The development philosophy of Blake and this current administration is all wrong.
I’m confused. How would that prevent Turcotte from getting hurt? And Tynan put up 98 points and was named AHL MVP. Turcotte had 80 less points.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Tend to agree that Turcotte's injuries are one of those 'up to the universe' things as, like the JDub example earlier, they weren't chronic injuries. The dude had a weird string of typically unrelated injuries and illnesses.

The concussions were something we hoped weren't coming due to his playstyle but unfortunately here we are.

Not gonna say he wasn't a slightly risky pick because of his playstyle, I think we all knew that.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Thomas Hickey eventually put together a decent career in Long Island. Turcotte may never play a full season in the NHL.

Is what it is. Hitting the lottery on some random lower round pick usually makes up for missing on these first rounders.

Generally, though, you can’t miss in the top five.

Reactions: ricardfromage

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
What we really need to be talking about is who is @mysterman2 ? This is obviously a public figure who wishes to remain anonymous
Everyone gets three guesses

My guesses:
1)
Curtis Armstrong, AKA:Booger from Revenge of the Nerds
Curtis_Armstrong_main_1200.jpg

2) Fred from Scooby-Doo
images

3) Whoopi Goldberg
17.-Whoopi-Goldberg.jpg

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Whatever makes you feel comfortable. Williams didn't have such a label in the early stages of his career, but go ahead and stretch those goal posts if it makes you think Turcotte's first couple of seasons is comparable to that of Justin Williams's first couple of seasons.

Williams being labeled injury prone came much later in his career, when he was already an established NHL player.
As good of a poster RJ is when it comes to prospects and their projection I think it’s pretty obvious he’s extremely forgiving and illogically optimistic.

RocketKing

Jul 2, 2017
What we really need to be talking about is who is @mysterman2 ? This is obviously a public figure who wishes to remain anonymous
Everyone gets three guesses

My guesses:
1)
Curtis Armstrong, AKA:Booger from Revenge of the Nerds
Curtis_Armstrong_main_1200.jpg

2) Fred from Scooby-Doo
images

3) Whoopi Goldberg
17.-Whoopi-Goldberg.jpg
He’s a talented Kings Fan I’m guessing?

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
As good of a poster RJ is when it comes to prospects and their projection I think it’s pretty obvious he’s extremely forgiving and illogically optimistic.

Probably. I just think there are several posters on the complete other end who have been trying to close the book on Turcotte nearly since draft day and that it's hard for him to get an opportunity to show out between injury and lack of opportunity. And I'm still willing to bet a lot that he's an impact NHL player provided the injuries don't completely derail him. There's just too much skill, IQ, and grit there not to imo.

I think that WJC is very emblematic of the type of player Turcotte is, dominating the tourney scoring at 5v5 while everyone is oohing and aahing over Zegras #s while Turcotte does all the hard work to get them there. And when I did that look this year he was doing the same in Ontario, too, the thing that was missing was the PP opportunity, surprise surprise. Like many (every?) team he had been on, he was leading the squad at that point at least in 5v5 PPG.

Last edited:

JeanBlanc

Jul 8, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
I think taking the mike Richards archetype is always risky. Balls to the wall midget but never the less a manlet who’s one decent check of a compromised career.

Both Eric and Brett Lindros were 6'4" and had their careers cut short by concussions.

Could we perhaps revise the point to say that players who don't shy away from the hard areas of the ice are more in danger of concussions?

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Turcotte's injuries aren't something he can control either.
The way he plays is something he can control. Not paying attention when you complete a pass while crossing the opponents blueline is something that he's learning he can't do at the AHL. Imagine how much tougher it's going to be for him to succeed and stay healthy in the NHL.

While he's still only 21, he's missed some valuable development time, and it's going to be even more difficult for him to crack the lineup as the Kings get better and others in the pipeline surpass him.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Both Eric and Brett Lindros were 6'4" and had their careers cut short by concussions.

Could we perhaps revise the point to say that players who don't shy away from the hard areas of the ice are more in danger of concussions?
Who's going to handle the "hard" areas of the ice better, a short man or a big one?

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Who's going to handle the "hard" areas of the ice better, a short man or a big one?

It really depends on the player.

Just as many, if not more, big guys get concussions vs. smaller ones. Playstyle and genetics are both better predictors of concussion than size is. Big guys can handle more punishment in the middle of the ice, but smaller guys get open easier and are harder to hit.

When you are smaller and play bigger, that's where the risk comes from. Turcotte isn't a shifty and fast enough skater to play a Kariya, Gaudreau, etc. type game. I'd watch lots of tape of Marchand if I were him, he's figured out how to get to those areas without getting pummeled.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
I see a lot of similarities with his dad. Alfie Turcotte. The Habs picked him up in the draft, first round, 17th, back in the day. There was less information about players back then. Anyway, maybe the same mstake was made twice about the Turcotte family. lol - Hope not though, Kinga have a young budding team with Byfield, Vilardi, Kaliyev, Kempe.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I think Turcotte being constantly hurt is something they can't control.

Someone finally gets it. They couldn't keep him from getting mono in college, or covid , or an appendectamy in camp last year either. Put these 3 thing on any of the other top prospects and guess what, it wil slow their development too.

Reactions: Steve Zissou

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

I'm starting to feel bad for Turcotte after reading the comments. Poor kid is in a no-win situation. Would be great if he can experience a bounce back like we're witnessing with Bowen Byram in these playoffs, but how likely is that to happen?

He has quite a few roadblocks ahead of him already, and the chances are he's going to wind up more like Jeff Tambellini than say, Trevor Lewis (and I'd be satisfied with that result at this point).

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I think Turcotte being constantly hurt is something they can't control.

Someone finally gets it. They couldn't keep him from getting mono in college, or covid , or an appendectamy in camp last year either. Put these 3 thing on any of the other top prospects and guess what, it wil slow their development too.

I'm starting to feel bad for Turcotte after reading the comments. Poor kid is in a no-win situation. Would be great if he can experience a bounce back like we're witnessing with Bowen Byram in these playoffs, but how likely is that to happen?

He has quite a few roadblocks ahead of him already, and the chances are he's going to wind up more like Jeff Tambellini than say, Trevor Lewis (and I'd be satisfied with that result at this point).

I think the only thing that got hurt was Tambellini pride in not making it. Man they missed wildly on that pick. An Al Murray special.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad