Turcotte- time to worry?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
The GM, coach and people who cover the team
all seem adamant that he will be back at center next season, unfortunately we have to take their word for it. I personally have no idea how you break up a line playing that well, but that seems to be the plan.
I think that's the "plan", They hope he's ready after this season to take ownership of his own line. I think he cab -- especially if it's GV on one side of him. But plans don't always work. There's a real chance hes not ready and gets moved to Kopis side again. It will be fun to watch either way.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
The GM, coach and people who cover the team
all seem adamant that he will be back at center next season, unfortunately we have to take their word for it. I personally have no idea how you break up a line playing that well, but that seems to be the plan.
I agree, I can see Byfield being successful with Fiala and Vilardi has his wingers but the top line as is has everything you would want…
Size, Speed, Skill, Defense ..
but I would still love to see Turcotte centering Fiala and Kaliyev as I think it could be dynamic… I just want to see that for a few games in the preseason if anything

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
A little uplifting news (for once) re AT who was pushing the bust boundaries like one of terrorinthebang's boob pics

Along with the 2 points for Turcs, ONT actually won some games for once too.

I don't know if he was ever in 'bust' territory, but my definition might be different. Injury prone obviously, but if he could remain healthy I think most of us would agree he'd have a good chance of doing well in the NHL.

In many ways similar to Vilardi. Hopefully Turcs road follows a similar path.

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009

I don't know if he was ever in 'bust' territory, but my definition might be different. Injury prone obviously, but if he could remain healthy I think most of us would agree he'd have a good chance of doing well in the NHL.

This might contribute to management giving Turcotte more time to develop instead of trading him away. Kempe, Vilardi are other examples of first round picks who took quite a while to get going in the nhl.

For better or worse the LA organization is known to take a long, long approach to development of talent.

Turcotte does need to clean up a couple items. Board work and how he exposes self to hits.

I also hope management learned from the Byfield experiment. Having high talent along with other great players will work better than 3-4th liners playing low limits. Give Turcotte Fiala amd Kaliyev (his WJC line mate) and that would be a great experiment to try. Or maybe with Daneaut and RV with the second line.

Sorry, I’m rambling. Just wanted to throw out that I really hope kings continue giving Turcotte time to grow and not toss him in as a cheap add-on like many were expecting aka Vilardi last offseason.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
This might contribute to management giving Turcotte more time to develop instead of trading him away. Kempe, Vilardi are other examples of first round picks who took quite a while to get going in the nhl.

For better or worse the LA organization is known to take a long, long approach to development of talent.

Turcotte does need to clean up a couple items. Board work and how he exposes self to hits.

I also hope management learned from the Byfield experiment. Having high talent along with other great players will work better than 3-4th liners playing low limits. Give Turcotte Fiala amd Kaliyev (his WJC line mate) and that would be a great experiment to try. Or maybe with Daneaut and RV with the second line.

Sorry, I’m rambling. Just wanted to throw out that I really hope kings continue giving Turcotte time to grow and not toss him in as a cheap add-on like many were expecting aka Vilardi last offseason.
He needs to gain 20-30lbs and he'll prob be fine.

SaltyElkHunter

I …. am…. The LA Kings!
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
I love those boob posts.

With AT I feel it’s better to just ignore him and his play as a fan until he has gone a year without getting hurt. Top 5 pick not hitting is just too infuriating to fathom. Not his fault or anything just don’t want to deal with it.

On a lighter note anyone got a good titty pic?all I have are ones of Milfs stuck in the coffee table lately.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

Yeah, we're all hoping that.

It's one thing to be healthy and play 200 games and not do much, its another to be hurt most of your short career and not get the chance. He's a long healthy way before anyone can even call him a bust.
A line of Valardi-Byfield-Turcotte taking regular shifts together would be pretty sweet though.

Last edited:

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
I see Turc replacing Iafallo's role at some point if all goes well. If we are lucky he'll turn into a Moore type top 6 but playing center...long shot but who knows.

aceofpace

Mar 19, 2016
I see Turc replacing Iafallo's role at some point if all goes well. If we are lucky he'll turn into a Moore type top 6 but playing center...long shot but who knows.
I think he has an excellent shot of doing that and more IF he doesn't get hurt. That's a big if though.

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
Turcotte is a bust. A major scouting error was made here. Then it was compounded with some pretty bad development thus far.
Maybe you salvage a decent 3C out of him someday but I doubt he ever is able to stay healthy long enough to carve out an important role.
Every other player taken in the top 10 of that draft is a NHL player at this point.
Dad was an injury-plagued 1st round bust. Apples dont fall far from trees often so this was projectable.
I threw things at my TV when Blake didnt take Cozens. Blake has done OK overall but that was a franchise-altering mistake and you dont get very many of those before the pitchforks come out.
I will happily eat crow if I am wrong, not celebrating, would really like it to work out, but it wont.

Reactions: Vino

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Turcotte is a bust. A major scouting error was made here. Then it was compounded with some pretty bad development thus far.
Maybe you salvage a decent 3C out of him someday but I doubt he ever is able to stay healthy long enough to carve out an important role.
Every other player taken in the top 10 of that draft is a NHL player at this point.
Dad was an injury-plagued 1st round bust. Apples dont fall far from trees often so this was projectable.
I threw things at my TV when Blake didnt take Cozens. Blake has done OK overall but that was a franchise-altering mistake and you dont get very many of those before the pitchforks come out.
I will happily eat crow if I am wrong, not celebrating, would really like it to work out, but it wont.
I feel you. Thought Cozen was the best Brownie replacement we could of got.

Reactions: Seattle King

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
If Dave Taylor were still employed by the Kings the pick would have 100% been Cozens. And that is why Cozens scared me, he looked like so many Kings flops of the last 25-30 years. A lot of you are scared of small scorers, I am afraid of big players with “developing offensive games”

Turcotte was indeed a scouting miss, but not only by the Kings, everyone misjudged his offensive ability, it just happens sometimes. We have statistical and viewing evidence through four years to kind of comfortably say that he was the one on that team that benefitted most from that environment at the NTDP. All his peers on that team taken high in the draft have produced significantly at all levels they have played at. Just sucks for the Kings they were unlucky enough to end up with the guy, could have easily have been Minnesota, Montreal or the Ducks.

But Axl, you have said in the last you just care about evaluating results only (when it comes to the good stuff). By that same logic there is no other way but to say that this pick has been one the worst ones in recent memory by the team, right?

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
If Dave Taylor were still employed by the Kings the pick would have 100% been Cozens. And that is why Cozens scared me, he looked like so many Kings flops of the last 25-30 years. A lot of you are scared of small scorers, I am afraid of big players with “developing offensive games”

Turcotte was indeed a scouting miss, but not only by the Kings, everyone misjudged his offensive ability, it just happens sometimes. We have statistical and viewing evidence through four years to kind of comfortably say that he was the one on that team that benefitted most from that environment at the NTDP. All his peers on that team taken high in the draft have produced significantly at all levels they have played at. Just sucks for the Kings they were unlucky enough to end up with the guy, could have easily have been Minnesota, Montreal or the Ducks.

But Axl, you have said in the last you just care about evaluating results only (when it comes to the good stuff). By that same logic there is no other way but to say that this pick has been one the worst ones in recent memory by the team, right?
I guess I wouldn’t phrase it that way, but he’s certainly on the bottom of the list as far as success for top tier prospects. Someone has to be, right?

I wouldn’t write him off though, I wouldn’t label him a bust before he has another two years to figure it out. I feel like the guy would be a stud right now if he was 20-30lbs heavier.

Vilardi is a year older and he didn’t figure it out until 6 months ago.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

bland

Jul 1, 2004
He needs to gain 20-30lbs and he'll prob be fine.
That's the crux of it, he just hasn't been able to put on the muscle mass to insulate his body against the contact his style of play generates. The game is there, the smarts are there, but there are just so many occasions where you see him wince or stretch a shoulder after even basic contact.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Blake has hired a psychic to meet with every potential draftee, and attend games with scouts and quantum computer scientists.

They will even be at the draft table to sense the latest evolving timelines to detect if one with injuries in it is now the most likely individual outcome within the universal modality.

This will guard against bustitis, a new syndrome whereby a promising young hockey players career is derailed by time travelers.

These travelers will continually visit the past until they successfully reframe past draft picks as thought crimes of general managers.

Reactions: Kingsfan1

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Blake has hired a psychic to meet with every potential draftee, and attend games with scouts and quantum computer scientists.

They will even be at the draft table to sense the latest evolving timelines to detect if one with injuries in it is now the most likely individual outcome within the universal modality.

This will guard against bustitis, a new syndrome whereby a promising young hockey players career is derailed by time travelers.

These travelers will continually visit the past until they successfully reframe past draft picks as thought crimes of general managers.

Translation

Anything good Blake does is 100% credit to Blake, while anything bad he does isn’t his fault and can’t even be discussed or we are labeled Monday Morning QB’s or now apparently time travelers.

The evidence that two years playing in the NCAA is significantly better for a players development than being in the AHL is nothing new, and not Monday Morning QB’ing. You could even go back and see it was heavily discussed here at the time of the signing. Sending a physically undeveloped player to a professional minor league known for rough play (in comparison to the NHL) and then having him struggle on the ice and constantly getting injured is not exactly a surprising result of the signing.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
The evidence that two years playing in the NCAA is significantly better for a players development than being in the AHL is nothing new, and not Monday Morning QB’ing. You could even go back and see it was heavily discussed here at the time of the signing. Sending a physically undeveloped player to a professional minor league known for rough play (in comparison to the NHL) and then having him struggle on the ice and constantly getting injured is not exactly a surprising result of the signing.
These are really great points…I’ve never heard this from you before.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
These are really great points…I’ve never heard this from you before.

Well he is trying to say people are Monday Morning QB’ing the situation and I am just saying that’s not the case. Even if you can’t blame Blake for the bad luck in drafting him, you can blame him for almost everything else involved in the post evaluation part of his development.

And as a Kings fan doesn’t it concern you that other NHL teams and even messageboard fans are aware of the historical evidence of best how to handle these types of prospects and maximize their ROI but the GM of our team isn’t?

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Well he is trying to say people are Monday Morning QB’ing the situation and I am just saying that’s not the case. Even if you can’t blame Blake for the bad luck in drafting him, you can blame him for almost everything else involved in the post evaluation part of his development.

And as a Kings fan doesn’t it concern you that other NHL teams and even messageboard fans are aware of the historical evidence of best how to handle these types of prospects and maximize their ROI but the GM of our team isn’t?
No, our team has 96 points in 73 games. One thing I am not right now, is concerned.

You need to lighten up Herby…life is too short.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
He was ranked top 5 in every legitimate rankings out there, what are you talking about?
So? Every major scouting publication regales us for months every year about guys like Yakupov and Lafreniere telling us how they are going to change the game for a decade. It''s their business model to build excitement and focus on the positives.
I enjoy the reports that scouts make but they are not dispensing gospel. NHL scouting is notoriously mediocre, because it can be hard to project 18 year olds.
I like to see for myself when possible. Which is why Cozens was quite projectable as a future stud.
When you stand the two players side by side how the hell do you select Turcotte, thats a valid question.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
No, our team has 96 points in 73 games. One thing I am not right now, is concerned.

You need to lighten up Herby…life is too short.

What does that have to do with development decisions? Because the Kings are doing very well largely on the back of players drafted by Taylor and Lombardi and trades made by Blake it means we can’t be concerned with Blake’s bizarre decisions on development of a #5OA pick? You do realize players age and get worse, a #5OA pick is supposed to be an impact NHL player, we aren’t talking about a 2nd round pick here.

And it’s funny you quote me, you could be honest for once and add to this discussion. You could have replied to Surf and corrected him. You have been here forever, you know many of these things he mentioned, such as the Turcotte pull decision were discussed here and the potential risks were talked about, it’s not MMQB or hindsight is 20/20. But you making a post like that would require some honesty or shred of decency, which sadly you ditched long ago to take up this heel/troll persona. I guess just go back to making stuff up and calling people Ducks fans, it’s what you do best.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
So? Every major scouting publication regales us for months every year about guys like Yakupov and Lafreniere telling us how they are going to change the game for a decade. It''s their business model to build excitement and focus on the positives.
I enjoy the reports that scouts make but they are not dispensing gospel. NHL scouting is notoriously mediocre, because it can be hard to project 18 year olds.
I like to see for myself when possible. Which is why Cozens was quite projectable as a future stud.
When you stand the two players side by side how the hell do you select Turcotte, thats a valid question.
So if we pulled the thread from ‘19, it’s got you saying you want the Kings to pick Cozens at #5?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad