Turcotte- time to worry?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
The OHL didn't play the 20-21 season so Saginaw wouldn't be good for development because he would have missed an entire season. This narrows choices to overseas, minor junior...a step down, and the AHL. How is minor junior good for development? Overseas brings up travel issues with all of the covid rules for both Turcotte and any LA based front office/development guys. Plus, overseas leagues usually play less games than leagues in North America so he would have less playing time to develop. This leaves the AHL as the best option.
Good point about the OHL not having a 2020-21 season - though at the time, Turcotte couldn't have anticipated that.

Sometimes punching below your weight class can give you time to hone certain skills. I'm not saying it's ideal. Just that it was an option if he didn't want to play in the NCAA.

Again, with the international competition, I'm not saying he should have taken it. But we're talking about pros and cons versus staying in college and what his options were.

I was all for the AHL option, because I like it when teams have direct hands on opportunity to work with the prospects and develop them. I'm not Monday morning quarterbacking in that sense - Herby and I had a good deal of disagreements about this in the past. So, don't get me wrong... I get it. But ultimately, looking at the Kings' track history, it's not working out with fast-tracking prospects into the AHL.

I think the Van Ryn loophole where NCAA players can play in the CHL as overage players and then become free agents is over. The best way for NCAA players to gain UFA is to play 4 years, but as discussed with Faber that is a big financial (as well as injury) risk. Faber wouldn't be able to sign and play in the NHL until the 24-25 season, signing in LA this coming spring his ELC kicks in 22-23 and he can sign that 2nd contract (where the big money is) after the 24-25 season.

Interestingly enough about Cammalleri. There were all kinds of rumors on LGK that he was trying to Van Ryn the Kings and was going to go to the OHL if the Kings didn't sign him, the reality was the exact opposite, Cammalleri wanted to finish school but was pressured to sign with the Kings by Taylor who included promises that he was going to play with Allison and Deadmarsh. This lead to Allison saying some pretty mean things to the rookie (Allison did not want his line to be split up). Just shows you how wrong so many messageboard rumors can be sometimes.
Thank you. I forgot which player utilized the loophole, so I forgot what to search for. I just made reference to Cammalleri, because I remember the discussion that he was threatening to go pro, and forgot the other. Thanks for the reminder. Getting older sucks.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
People tell me I am wrong on this but to me the Danault signing was a condemnation of those 3 picks as a whole (especially Turcotte and Vilardi). Teams who have a 1C signed at $10m for 3 more years and have used three top picks on centers in recent drafts should not be looking to sign another veteran C, unless they are pretty bearish on those young centers.

I don't think you are necessarily wrong, but a large majority of forward prospects taken in the first round are centers - they make up around 1/3rd of the first round in most drafts. It's not uncommon to see as many centers as wingers taken in the first round combined. So teams don't always see them as centers at the top level. I remember the Richards comparisons, but I never really saw Turcotte as a NHL center just because of his size. It's harder to get away with being under 6' in the middle.

So maybe the Danault signing was a condemnation, or maybe their views have changed that Turcotte and Vilardi (and Kupari) are better suited as wings as they have settled in. I think a lot of us around here saw the wing as Vilardi's future well before the Kings did, so maybe that's a different situation. I also never saw Kupari as a center, I view Pinelli the same way.

It's really hard to get a read on what they think about Turcotte, really. I still give him the benefit of the doubt because of his injuries, but I think they expected more. He is certainly turning into a good argument for not putting guys in the AHL, maybe not so much in a development sense but a physical maturity one. I don't think they are bearish on them overall, but surely bearish as far as playing center.

Reactions: Herby

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Turcotte didn't have many options. He could have:
- Gone to Saginaw Spirit, who owned his CHL rights
- Leave school to try to play overseas
- Tried to join minor junior hockey, like the BCHL, AJHL, or OPJHL (this is what Kings prospect Braden Doyle did this year when he left BU)

I think there is another clause that Mike Cammalleri used to threaten making himself a free agent sooner, but I don't know if that rule is still in effect or what the exact mechanisms are. That said, if Blake thought it was a bad idea, he could have always traded him.

The point is, Blake was under no obligation to sign Turcotte. Just like Faber is under no obligation to sign a contract with LA this past offseason just because they want him.

Pat Brisson is his agent. Soon as I saw that, I knew who was calling the shots.

“When we enter a situation like this at this time of the year with all our players that have the opportunity to turn pro or stay another year — or two years, for instance — we let the season finish,” Brisson said. “Then we let the players express to us what they want to do. It’s up to them at that point.

“Obviously, Alex felt he was ready to turn pro, and he indicated this to me. We spoke briefly Sunday night and Monday, and I just wanted to make sure he was clear with that. It’s an important decision. As soon as we were officially going in that direction, then we talked to the Kings and they were obviously on board with giving him the proper development in order for him for his game to continue to grow.”

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
I think a useful thing to practice would be how to keep your head up and avoid contact (Turcottes last injury he had plenty of time to avoid contact and did not protect himself). I mean practice it - like maybe with a shock collar while a coach watches you play in a team scrimmage. Another thing would be how to handle going into the boards when you cant slow down enough to avoid heavy contact (cf GV). There has to be methods from other disciplines like martial arts or downhill skiing that can be taught.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I think a useful thing to practice would be how to keep your head up and avoid contact (Turcottes last injury he had plenty of time to avoid contact and did not protect himself). I mean practice it - like maybe with a shock collar while a coach watches you play in a team scrimmage. Another thing would be how to handle going into the boards when you cant slow down enough to avoid heavy contact (cf GV). There has to be methods from other disciplines like martial arts or downhill skiing that can be taught.

His style reminds me of a young Deadmarsh, a bit less reckless, but in the same mold. Unfortunately , he shares the same problems deader had. Good point about teaching him to avoid the heavy contact, this is something that can be taught in any sport.

psych3man

Dec 17, 2019
Outside Chicago
Good to see Turcotte killing penalties for the Reign. He will be a great penalty killer in the NHL and a SH threat.
Made a great feed to Dudas 2 on 1 SH goal.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Noonan61

Aug 16, 2011
LA
I wonder, with Byfield most likely centering his own line next year, could Turcotte slot into the top left wing position? Kind of be the Williams of the line.

Turcotte-Kopitar-Kempe
Ardvisson-Danault-Moore
Fiala-Byfield-Vilardi

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Good to see Turcotte killing penalties for the Reign. He will be a great penalty killer in the NHL and a SH threat.
Made a great feed to Dudas 2 on 1 SH goal.
That was my first take on him was like a Mike Richards lite.. similar height and scrappy, always a SH threat.. but without the scoring touch.. I think Mike's career was cut really short because he never avoided contact and got his bell rung a bunch of times (Edit: love how Greener went right after him)

Reactions: Telos and psych3man

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
I wonder, with Byfield most likely centering his own line next year, could Turcotte slot into the top left wing position? Kind of be the Williams of the line.

Turcotte-Kopitar-Kempe
Ardvisson-Danault-Moore
Fiala-Byfield-Vilardi

Kaliyev is a much better fit for a scoring line role than Turcotte,if they do indeed take Byfield off that line (hoping for a miracle they don’t)

Hard to see Kopitar scoring as many goals next season, this is the 2nd most goals he has scored since the second cup, only his Hart finalist season 5 years ago was better, and he would be a year older. His goal-scoring has improved significantly since QB was inserted on that line, if it goes back to previous levels and he is getting 15-22 goals instead of the 28-30 he will get this season you need someone with more finishing than Turcotte, who is a poor finisher. I assume the Kings plan for Turcotte to spend the first half of next season in Ontario, hopefully he can stay healthy and then maybe sometime after the calendar turns see if he is a better option than guys like JAD, Kupari, Grundstrom, MacEwen.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Turcotte-Kopitar-Kempe
Ardvisson-Danault-Moore
Fiala-Byfield-Vilardi

They were doing this on line 3/4 for him before and I would love nothing more than them trying him as such in the top six instead. Like Byfield, he's got a knack for puck digging and vision, and hopefully they've learned from the QB experience.

Reactions: Byfield

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com

Turcotte-Kopitar-Kempe
Ardvisson-Danault-Moore
Fiala-Byfield-Vilardi
Implying Iafallo is bye-bye-afallo right? They have Lizo, Kaliyev, Kupari, JAD, Grundstrom, McEwen that also need to get sorted.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
He is wearing these stickers now.

1679608001883.png

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

Turcotte-Kopitar-Kempe
Ardvisson-Danault-Moore
Fiala-Byfield-Vilardi
If QB is centering his own line next year than hopefully that means Kopitar has moved to LW (fully joking)

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas

Turcotte-Kopitar-Kempe
Ardvisson-Danault-Moore
Fiala-Byfield-Vilardi
I don’t think they’d change a thing with the top line especially with how dominant it has been.. if it were me, I’d move Arvy as he’d be the easiest guy to move aside from Durzi.

Byfield - Kopitar - Kempe

Moore - Danault - Vilardi

Fiala - Turcotte - Kaliyev

Kupari - Lizotte- Lucic/Kassian/Beef

Reactions: apadilla

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
I don’t think they’d change a thing with the top line especially with how dominant it has been.. if it were me, I’d move Arvy as he’d be the easiest guy to move aside from Durzi.

Byfield - Kopitar - Kempe

Moore - Danault - Vilardi

Fiala - Turcotte - Kaliyev

Kupari - Lizotte- Lucic/Kassian/Beef
The GM, coach and people who cover the team
all seem adamant that he will be back at center next season, unfortunately we have to take their word for it. I personally have no idea how you break up a line playing that well, but that seems to be the plan.

Reactions: Byfield

Byfield

Jan 15, 2021
all seem adamant that he will be back at center next season, unfortunately we have to take their word for it. I personally have no idea how you break up a line playing that well, but that seems to be the plan.
Win the cup and they’ll have no choice

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005

The GM also said Kaliyev needs to play in the top 6 this year. I don't think Byfield is ready yet to center any top line. He needs to dominate offensively and take over some PP time at least. He'll need a massive weight spurt and maturity over the summer to take over a line. We'll see how he grows this summer.

Noonan61

Aug 16, 2011
LA
Implying Iafallo is bye-bye-afallo right? They have Lizo, Kaliyev, Kupari, JAD, Grundstrom, McEwen that also need to get sorted.
Yes, as much as Iafallo's advance stats show how much he helps, I think he is the odd man out. A lot of players will not be waiver eligible next season. Trade a majority of these players to move up in the draft or for more draft capital/prospects.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

this franchise would NEVER say one thing and do another!

Reactions: Mats26

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad