TSN's Top 50

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Ovechkin should be 1 or 2 at the lowest. Duchesne and McDavid shouldn't be on the list at all.

But if you ARE going to include McD you have to include Eichel as well, at least for this upcoming season.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
You made an oath to threadbait with every second post this season, didn't you.

Yeah Price had a historic season. And Quick had a historic playoffs a few years ago. And Rask has had some monster save % . And there's Lundqvist who's been the best for years. Rinne is always great. Crawfords posted huge numbers en route to 2 Cups. Dubnyk came out of nowhere this year. Objectively, Luongo is an all time great. Schneider, Mason... you can see where this is going.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Sure. Due to all the older players that stayed there due to the lockout, right?

What? Just who was being blocked from the NHL in the Q that year? If I recall correctly, Bergeron played in the AHL since he played in the NHL the previous year.

Just how many Canadian Junior players do you think make the NHL each year? That might have an effect on the Junior National Team at the World Juniors, but it's not going to appreciably effect the QMJHL quality of play.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
What? Just who was being blocked from the NHL in the Q that year? If I recall correctly, Bergeron played in the AHL since he played in the NHL the previous year.

Just how many Canadian Junior players do you think make the NHL each year? That might have an effect on the Junior National Team at the World Juniors, but it's not going to appreciably effect the QMJHL quality of play.

The entire 2004 nhl draft class had to stay in their respective junior leagues due to the lockout. So yes, it did make a difference.

Maldon

Apr 13, 2015

Exactly, the AHL being full of "should play in the NHL" players didn't help. Looking at any junior league/AHL during that time will always come with that asterisk. Movement between the leagues in every year is higher than you think, apparently.

revolverjgw

Oct 6, 2003
Nova Scotia
I don't understand why Toews is rated so highly. I guess his whole thing is how "clutch" he is, two way, he's a winner etc, but Keith also wins (being on the Blackhawks and Team Canada, of course he does), he's also two way, and he's more clutch to boot. He wins Norrises and just won the Smythe and still takes a back seat to a 65 point center that put up a goose egg in the finals. I don't understand this at all.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
The entire 2004 nhl draft class had to stay in their respective junior leagues due to the lockout. So yes, it did make a difference.

The highest drafted player from the Q was Alexandre Picard who wasn't good enough for the NHL and would have certainly been returned anyways. No other players from the Q went in the Top 50 of the 04 Draft.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Ovechkin should be 1 or 2 at the lowest. Duchesne and McDavid shouldn't be on the list at all.

But if you ARE going to include McD you have to include Eichel as well, at least for this upcoming season.

Ovechkin is pretty much never #1 at the beginning of the year. But he's been #1 plenty of times at the end of the year.

Too Russian.

randomrob7

Aug 30, 2013
You guys need to remember this isnt a list of the 50 best players right now, its a projection of who the 50 best players will be next year.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Exactly, the AHL being full of "should play in the NHL" players didn't help. Looking at any junior league/AHL during that time will always come with that asterisk. Movement between the leagues in every year is higher than you think, apparently.
That matters for the AHL. Not the QMJHL that particular year. It just wasn't a very strong league, especially compared to the OHL last year. This isn't remotely controversial. Besides Crosby, the only player to make Canada's World Junior team was Stephen Dixon. A 4th line center with 0 career NHL games.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
So, this is a projection for the next season?

I have no problem of having Crosby as #1. He is most likely going to be the #1 guy. I would have actually pumped Price to #2, since I don't think his last season was a fluke. He has a strong chance to win the Vezina again.

I would have had Ovechkin as #3, since he has shown that he is going to be on top of the goal race no matter what.

Malkin would have probably been my #4 choice. But that is an iffy one.

Maybe squeeze in Getzlaf at #5? :dunno:

Philip Kessel

Jun 10, 2015
Crosby no.1 again, yet has how many MVP's? oh they rated toews 2nd.
i wonder how many non canadians were involved in the polling
malkin 11th
giroux 18th

lol

yeah they love canadians so much and hate all others, just look at giroux at 18! if he was canadian, he would have been way higher!

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
It is honestly difficult to create a list of top 50 players, especially when you are including players of every position into it.

If i was doing a list, i would create separate lists. One for the top 10 left wingers, one for the top 10 right wingers, one for the top 10 centers, one for the top 10 goalies and one for the top 10 defenders. Still might end up being not that good of a list, but i think it would be a little bit better than what tsn is doing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad