TSN's Top 50

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
McDavid is definitely the best player in the world. He gets on the top 50 list without even scoring a single point.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Toews at 2 is just...... I don't get it. I put him and Kopitar in the same tier yet he is consistently ranked well ahead of him and how is he ranked 9 spots ahead of Malkin? Generational intangibles or something.

Keith should be higher than 12. I'd put him ahead of both Doughty and Karlsson. Hell, I'd put him ahead of Toews.

They shouldn't even rank players who haven't played an NHL game yet so McDavid at 37 looks weird.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Toews is 2nd or 3rd best player in world. Ovechkin is underrated imo. Don't know why people are freaking out. Screaming about regular season PPG at the top of your lungs isn't gonna change things.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Came for the ******** over Toews @ #2. Left satisfied.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Not that I think it's too high or anything, but how is Kessel 36th? He was lower in last season's list and had the worst season of his career last year...

This list is such ********...

KBobs

Dec 26, 2013
Canada
Lists are subjective, get over it. But for those complaining about Toews, you do realize that outside of this particular list, players and gm's alike hold Toews in this regard, correct? Why is your opinion more credible?

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Toews is 2nd or 3rd best player in world. Ovechkin is underrated imo. Don't know why people are freaking out. Screaming about regular season PPG at the top of your lungs isn't gonna change things.

No, he is not 2nd or 3rd best in the world. I'm curious what your viewpoint would be if you rooted for another team. I KNOW you would not defend Toews this hard in every thread if he weren't on your team.

Stamkos. Crosby. Ovechkin. Malkin. Each easily, easily better, and just as significant to their own teams.

Then a handful of other, better players.

If this is supposedly projecting rankings for next season, they must be expecting Toews to hit career highs in every stat imaginable!

SidGenoMario

Apr 10, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
Bergeron 26, Kopitar 17... Toews 2.

Clearly a worthless, meaningless list.

I don't care how many Stanley Cups you've won, I don't care how many millions of dollars you've made talking about the best hockey league in the world, if you think Johnathan Toews is better than Sidney Crosby at playing hockey, you know nothing about hockey.

I know more about hockey than Pierre McGuire (influenced by the TSN machine).

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Bergeron 26, Kopitar 17... Toews 2.

Clearly a worthless, meaningless list.

You have a point, though I'm not sure it's the one you're making.

I'm fine with Toews at #2, because I honestly believe - looking at pretty much every Stanley Cup Champion since the lockout - the elite 2-way center has become arguably the most valuable component to any team, well ahead of the traditional scoring center or winger.

Do I think Toews is the best of that lot? Yes.

Do I think, if you're valuing that skill-set highly enough to rank Toews #2, that you should also elevate Bergeron and Kopitar further up the list? Yes.

If you're ranking Toews #2, then Bergeron and Kopitar should each be no lower than top #25.

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007
I would be stunned if McDavid has a better career than Crosby, OV or Malkin. Crosby and OV especially have a reasonable claim as Top 10 players of all time. McDavid may be a bit better as a prospect (although I don't see it), but I doubt he will have a better career.
As it compares to Crosby, I would almost think the opposite. Crosby would rank ahead as a prospect, but I could see McDavid having the better career if he doesn't have the same injury issues that Crosby dealt with. I also think people are exhibiting some understandable but likely misguided skepticism surrounding McDavid; you'll see a lot of talk that he can't possible live up to the hype as if it's a foregone conclusion, as if no player ever does, or that Crosby is the last great player that will ever exist.

Ultimately these kinds of lists are made to generate ratings/page views/internet comments and that probably has as much to do with the McDavid rating as anything but on it's own I don't think it's ~crazy~. Obviously Crosby and Ovechkin's rookie seasons shouldn't be the expectation but those are relatively recent examples of players coming in and being top ~10 type players right away. I've seen a lot of people, TSN included, project him for 70-ish points which, given his situation, would certainly put him among the better offensive forwards in the league.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
I thought Keith was too low, especially after watching him in the playoffs.

Toews should be (IMO)high as well. All around game is so solid.

Nash? Too high
Malkin Too low

I think the Ducks were pretty well placed

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I would actually Toews over Crosby, then have Ovi in third.

The winning trumps the points. Every time hes won he has been the best player in that game deciding game. Its pretty incredible really.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Is the goalie gap actually so great as well? Price at 3, but the next goalie is 25? Yet we discuss how there appears to be a close knit top 4-5 where the #1 can change any given season....

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
No, he is not 2nd or 3rd best in the world. I'm curious what your viewpoint would be if you rooted for another team. I KNOW you would not defend Toews this hard in every thread if he weren't on your team.

Stamkos. Crosby. Ovechkin. Malkin. Each easily, easily better, and just as significant to their own teams.

Then a handful of other, better players.

If this is supposedly projecting rankings for next season, they must be expecting Toews to hit career highs in every stat imaginable!

Except Toews is coming off from winning his 3rd cup in last 6 years. Tough to argue man when the guy is as clutch as they come in the playoffs.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

The winning trumps the points. Every time hes won he has been the best player in that game deciding game. Its pretty incredible really.

Duncan Keith was the best player in game 6 of the final not Toews

And I'm guessing if winning trumps points you think Henri Richard is the best player of all time?

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007

I don't remember anyone calling him the best player in Game 6 this year (where everyone had Keith) or against Boston (where opinions were divided but mostly between Kane and Crawford). Even when he won his Conn Smythe he was criticized for having a very tame finals. Briere was the best player in the Game 6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad