TSN's Top 50

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
Keith is the best Dman in the league IMO. Also lmao @Toews at #2. And why would they even have McDavid on the list? I mean the hype train is full steam ahead at this point but I wish they would just let him play an NHL game first.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
What is Matt Duchene doing 9 spots above Marian Hossa?

The criteria for this list seems incredibly Inconsistent. If you are going to put Toews at 2 for his all around game and winning, Hossa needs to be like top 20 at the worst.

JA

congrats you are citing people who buy into mania and intangible narratives, 60-70 point forwards are not top 2 in the league if his name wasn't toews and instead it was bergeron this garbage wouldn't be happening

There is no need for congratulations. I don't agree with that conclusion. I have simply described the mainstream opinion of Canadian NHL analysts. Toews has consistently been considered among the Top 3 by Canadian analysts for numerous seasons. He was #2 last year and #3 the year before that on TSN's lists.

2014:

http://www.tsn.ca/crosby-tops-tsn-hockey-s-top-50-nhl-players-1.94060
1. Sidney Crosby
2. Jonathan Toews
3. Steve Stamkos
4. Ryan Getzlaf
5. Anze Kopitar
6. Evgeni Malkin
7. Drew Doughty
8. John Tavares
9. Shea Weber
10. Patrick Kane
11. Claude Giroux
12. Alex Ovechkin
13. Patrice Bergeron
14. Corey Perry
15. Jamie Benn
16. Henrik Lundqvist
17. Pavel Datsyuk
18. Duncan Keith
19. P.K. Subban
20. Jonathan Quick

2013:

http://www2.tsn.ca/story/?id=432765
1. Sidney Crosby
2. Evgeni Malkin
3. Jonathan Toews
4. Steven Stamkos
5. Pavel Datsyuk
6. Zdeno Chara
7. Alex Ovechkin
8. Shea Weber
9. Patrick Kane
10. Claude Giroux
11. Erik Karlsson
12. Henrik Zetterberg
13. John Tavares
14. Henrik Lundqvist
15. Ryan Getzlaf
16. Patrice Bergeron
17. Ryan Suter
18. Anze Kopitar
19. Drew Doughty
20. Duncan Keith

Toews was actually ranked #6 before the 2012-13 season.

2012:
1. Sidney Crosby
2. Evgeni Malkin
3. Claude Giroux
4. Steven Stamkos
5. Pavel Datsyuk
6. Jonathan Toews
7. Shea Weber
8. Daniel Sedin
9. Henrik Sedin
10. Anze Kopitar
11. Erik Karlsson
12. Zdeno Chara
13. Zach Parise
14. Alex Ovechkin
15. Henrik Lundqvist
16. Jonathan Quick
17. Drew Doughty
18. Ilya Kovalchuk
19. Corey Perry
20. John Tavares

Last edited by a moderator:

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
How are people still surprised about Toews being @ 2? It's TSN.

Still the same site that just recently had ''better goal-scorer'' -poll in which their viewers voted Toews over Ovechkin 69% - 31%.

GreatGonzo

May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
There is no need for congratulations. I don't agree with that conclusion. I have simply described the mainstream opinion of Canadian NHL analysts. Toews has consistently been considered among the Top 3 by Canadian analysts for numerous seasons. He was #2 last year and #3 the year before that on TSN's lists.

2014:

http://www.tsn.ca/crosby-tops-tsn-hockey-s-top-50-nhl-players-1.94060

2013:

http://www2.tsn.ca/story/?id=432765

Toews was actually ranked #6 before the 2012-13 season.

2012:

Ya he was 3rd in 2010, 8th in 2011, and 6th in 2012. People don't Notice how nearly every single year he wins the cup or makes a deep cup run his ranking skyrockets? 2011 was statistically his best season, yet he was 8th. 2015, his weakest. 2nd. I wonder what changed.....

People really need to take off their homer glasses and see how ridiculous TSN is. I mean they had Lemieux vs Toews: who would you pick? That says it all

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Ya he was 3rd in 2010, 8th in 2011, and 6th in 2012. People don't Notice how nearly every single year he wins the cup or makes a deep cup run his ranking skyrockets? 2011 was statistically his best season, yet he was 8th. 2015, his weakest. 2nd. I wonder what changed.....

People really need to take off their homer glasses and see how ridiculous TSN is. I mean they had Lemieux vs Toews: who would you pick? That says it all

Yea that's silly. What's more is that Kane dropped 3 spots after pacing to win the art ross (still only finished 2 points back of Toews in 20 less games) and then returning from injury to lead the cup winning team in goals and points in the playoffs.

I guess people are turned off by the off ice stuff, but that doesn't make him a worse hockey player (especially seeing as how he hasn't even been charged with a crime).

Including playoffs, Kane and Toews had the same amount of points. But Toews played 20 more games (~24% more than Kane). Offensive isn't everything, but that's a hard gap to ignore.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
the disrespect Subban gets is laughable, hes easily been the best performing dman in the playoffs since hes been in the league and he just came off a 60 point season while being an advanced stats stud (meaning hes been performing exceptionally well defensively)... but he somehow ended up dropping a spot.

seriously?

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
the disrespect Subban gets is laughable, hes easily been the best performing dman in the playoffs since hes been in the league and he just came off a 60 point season while being an advanced stats stud (meaning hes been performing exceptionally well defensively)... but he somehow ended up dropping a spot.

seriously?

I agree. The hate Subban gets is staggering. He really is one of the best 2 way defensemen in the league.

The only 2 defense men with that kind of skill I would put higher is Doughty and Weber.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I agree. The hate Subban gets is staggering. He really is one of the best 2 way defensemen in the league.

The only 2 defense men with that kind of skill I would put higher is Doughty and Weber.

im not comparing him to other players on the list, i just dont understand how he can drop a spot after the year he had.. especially when you factor in his play in the playoffs (highest PPG amongst all dmen)

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site

seriously?

Wait, what? How can anyone say with a straight face that Subban has been better than Keith or Doughty in the playoffs? That is absolutely ridiculous.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I also find it interesting that the same people who are lobbying for Toews over OV/Malkin because "intangibles are more important than scoring" are the same people who were disputing the arguments for Datsyuk being a better overall player than Crosby back in ~2008 relied on a ~15% scoring difference in favor of Crosby, even though Datsyuk had 2 cups was clearly better in most other facets of the game.

For the record, I agree Crosby was better, offensive production tends to get underrated by "hockey intellectuals".

The big 3 in hockey is still Sid, OV, and Malkin. Their respective career PPGs of 1.36, 1.18, and 1.20 are unmatched, and its not even close among active players in their primes. Backstrom, Kane, and Getzlaf are at like 0.99, 0.97, and 0.96, they are the closest "prime" active players (criteria of >500 points).

Toews is at 0.89. It's a stretch to rank him above Backstrom or Kane or Getzlaf. It takes a logical leap of unfathomable magnitude to put him ahead of Malkin or Ovechkin, guys who have contributed ~33-35% more offense in their careers.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Wait, what? How can anyone say with a straight face that Subban has been better than Keith or Doughty in the playoffs? That is absolutely ridiculous.

by best performing i mean numbers-wise. i'd still take Doughty ahead of Subban but Keith has only had 1 exceptional playoff performance, on top of that Keith is surrounded by much better players and Hammer always draws the toughest matchups, he'll always have that against him.

Subban: 0.69 PPG, Doughty: 0.66 PPG, Keith: 0.65 PPG.

anywho thats beyond the point i was trying to make, i dont know how they can justify dropping him a spot after the year he had.

what argument can they even make? hes a playoff performer and the year he was #19 was when he had a down year.. he elevated his game to another lvl this past season.

Last edited:

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
lol 3 sharks on the list and none of them is the best player on the team. joke of a list.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
One last comment - if this list is supposed to be forward looking, then how is no one from last year's historic rookie class included? Especially guys like Stone and Gaudreau, who got better as the year progressed and ended up top 30 in scoring while providing solid two way play?

You have to think at least one of those guys will take another step forward. You'd think after Gaudreau's impressive playoff run, he'd sneak in ahead of guys like Duchene, Quick, or Hall.

And holy crap Pavelski needs to stop being so underrated. He's got 125 goals in his last 294 games, (35 goal average) and hasn't missed a game in the last 4 years.

Also lol at goalie rankings. Quick 4th best goalie, Holtby 5? No Schneider or Rask?

Just an awful list the more I look at it.

phil steve

Sep 2, 2011
LOL @ the outrage over this list. Do you people realize how small the skill difference is between the top 50 players in the league?

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
by best performing i mean numbers-wise. i'd still take Doughty ahead of Subban but Keith has only had 1 exceptional playoff performance, on top of that Keith is surrounded by much better players and Hammer always draws the toughest matchups, he'll always have that against him.

Subban: 0.69 PPG, Doughty: 0.66 PPG, Keith: 0.65 PPG.

anywho thats beyond the point i was trying to make, i dont know how they can justify dropping him a spot after the year he had.

what argument can they even make? hes a playoff performer and the year he was #19 was when he had a down year.. he elevated his game to another lvl this past season.

Yeah, that is just flat out wrong. Keith has had 3 Conn Smythe worthy playoff performances, not to mention several other excellent runs to the conference final.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Subban at 20 while Weber, Keith and Karlsson (understandable) are ahead of him? literally lirl :help:

I just find it ridiculous that one good playoffs bumps Hedman from NR all the way to 21 when a Norris put Subban at 27 and another nomination dropped him one spot to 20.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Malkin ahead of Kopitar is wrong imo. Kopitar wins you Cups. Malkin wins you 2nd best ppg playing 60 games awards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad