TSN's Top 50

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Not that I think it's too high or anything, but how is Kessel 36th? He was lower in last season's list and had the worst season of his career last year...

This list is such ********...

Not singling you out, but there is an obvious flaw in this line of thinking. The other players in the league are not static. Phil Kessel's (or anyone else's) spot on any kind of ranking list is subject to their own circumstances as well as those of every other player in the league.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Seriously, terrible example to make a "point"

If winning is the main criteria, I don't see how that's a terrible point.

Henri Richard was a world class player though. So I can see why he is ranked so high. Probably wouldn't put him in my top-30. But he was better player than Toews by every conceivable measurement.

I don't mind Toews being in top-10. Since there is no denying his hockey skills and his leadership qualities. What I have beef with is the inconsistency in rankings when it comes to Toews and players of his caliber. I get the idea that he is better than Kopitar. But if so, it's only by a small margin. Yet, I never see anyone making a claim for Kopitar for top-10/5 let alone the best.

There is somewhat of "Toews is a winner" bandwagon going on right now. It's easy to pick the guy who gets the championships. But does that really make him that much better individual? For some it might. But usually it doesn't make Kopitar nearly as good and that is double standard.

It's going to be really interesting to see how Toews has his legacy turn out. Has there ever been a comparable player to him in the sense of individual skill warranting much lower position on lists than he actually gets?

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Apparently this list involved votes from GMs. Makes it more interesting, can't argue against hockey people but I'd be interested in their opinions.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Hawks fans can probably answer me on one thing.

Is there a case to be made that Keith is the most important player in your team? Just curious, since always when I see the Hawks it seems like Keith is on the ice all the time. I seriously would consider ranking Keith higher than Toews. Is there a case for it?

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
A list to help stir the pot. Well done TSN. Nothing new ('cept McDavid ;) ), Toews up there with Sid is the usual morning paper business.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Depends on situation

Generally the most important player in one of Kane , Toews and Keith

All have had big moments when they carried team

I guess you are right. I would probably rank all these three guys really close to each other. Maybe even interchangeable Toews/Keith/Kane.

Oct 18, 2011
the "toews is a winner" thing is the default because statistically he is not the 2nd place player in the league.

winning is a team accomplishment and obviously he is a part of that.....a part.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Subban at 20 while Weber, Keith and Karlsson (understandable) are ahead of him? literally lirl :help:

What? i can definitely see a case for Weber/Keith/Karlsson/Doughty ahead of Subban. They are all in top-20 which seems like reasonable thing.

Are people really this insane about their favorite players? It seems like all reason is thrown out of window when these lists are discussed. Weber at 16 and Subban at 20 is apparently "laughable"? :help:

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
What? i can definitely see a case for Weber/Keith/Karlsson/Doughty ahead of Subban. They are all in top-20 which seems like reasonable thing.

Are people really this insane about their favorite players? It seems like all reason is thrown out of window when these lists are discussed. Weber at 16 and Subban at 20 is apparently "laughable"? :help:

Subban has more points than Keith, Weber and Doughty over the last four years combined. He's not that far defensively either. They should be a lot closer in their rankings.

Subban should definitely be ahead of Weber...Weber is probably one of the most overrated defensemen on this site, his entire legacy is half based off reputation.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Subban has more points than Keith, Weber and Doughty over the last four years combined. He's not that far defensively either. They should be a lot closer in their rankings.

Subban should definitely be ahead of Weber...Weber is probably one of the most overrated defensemen on this site, his entire legacy is half based off reputation.

I would have ranked Subban ahead of Weber too. But they are effectively tied in that list.

Here's how it goes:

Dughty, Karlsson, Keith, Weber, Subban. If that is the thing you laugh in real life about in that list, well I don't know what to tell you.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
McDavid too low. He'll be top 3 on this list at the 41 game mark.

GreatGonzo

May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
You have a point, though I'm not sure it's the one you're making.

I'm fine with Toews at #2, because I honestly believe - looking at pretty much every Stanley Cup Champion since the lockout - the elite 2-way center has become arguably the most valuable component to any team, well ahead of the traditional scoring center or winger.

Do I think Toews is the best of that lot? Yes.

Do I think, if you're valuing that skill-set highly enough to rank Toews #2, that you should also elevate Bergeron and Kopitar further up the list? Yes.

If you're ranking Toews #2, then Bergeron and Kopitar should each be no lower than top #25.

Look at most of the Stanley cup winners since 06, most also had great defensemen and goaltending. Most also had high scoring players. So how is being a two way player so significant when the 3 teams that make up for the last 6 years all have each of these.

If Toews is 2 then Kopitar should be 3. Kopitar is also arguably Better than Toews and Bergeron has been the better defensive forward, but cups are the deciding factor. His intagibles carried him up the ladder

There isn't one genuine reason why Toews should be #2 as a played with his skill set. TSNs voting history have always had Toews lower when he hasn't won the cup and higher when he has, that isn't a coincidence.

The guy who just won the scoring title is 9th
The guy who just won the Hart, Lindsay, ⎌and Vezna is 3rd
The guy who just won the conn smythe is 12th
The guy who just won the rocket and has been the most consistent goal scorer since the lockout is 5th
The guy who beat out Toews for the selke is 26th
The guy who is arguably on the same level or better than Toews is 17th
The most consistent offensive player who also is solid defensively is 18th

And then we have Toews at 2nd. Not because of his defense, 66 points, or selke nominee, but because he just won the cup. It's a fact.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Oooh Benn above Seguin and not by 1-2 spot but quite a few

I can agree with that

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I don't see why Malkin should be ahead of Seguin or Kopitar. Surprised to see Josi, he finally gets love.

Toews gets rated high every year, gets praise from everywhere. Coaches, Players, GMs, Writers... all those guys have him that high, yet he doesn't belong.

There is only 1 Player that is better than him and that's Crosby. Still, many Hawks fans wouldn't like a 1 for 1 trade.
Thats what happens when you see him all the time and see what he does, resulting in 3 Cups.

I fail to see why Malkin is rated that high. He hasn't done much in the last 2 years.

GreatGonzo

May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
I don't see why Malkin should be ahead of Seguin or Kopitar. Surprised to see Josi, he finally gets love.

Toews gets rated high every year, gets praise from everywhere. Coaches, Players, GMs, Writers... all those guys have him that high, yet he doesn't belong.

There is only 1 Player that is better than him and that's Crosby. Still, many Hawks fans wouldn't like a 1 for 1 trade.
Thats what happens when you see him all the time and see what he does, resulting in 3 Cups.

I fail to see why Malkin is rated that high. He hasn't done much in the last 2 years.

He gets the most praise from the media, not the actual people within the game. If he was actually the 2nd best player in the world there would be more to show for it than just cups.

So what he has done resulted in 3 cups. Had nothing to do with his team. It was Toews? Keith was a vital part of all 3 cup runs and arguably was MVP for more than 1, yet he is 12th and seen as a better player than Toews, but the list is still legit.....

How is Crosby the only better player than him. What reasoning and proof is behind this absurd statement? If it's because of cups? If so, no need to answer anything, you will have said enough.

Malkin is still a better player than Toews with a more impressive career thus far. Regardless of how many cups Toews has won, Malkin is still clearly better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad