TSN 690 and Other Montreal Based Media (Part 10)

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Matthew Ross is on air this morning.

He’s a fine weekend host who also runs bus tours to sporting events. I used his service to Cooperstown when Pedro Martinez was inducted and had a lousy experience. He should stick to radio.

Why was it a lousy experience? Cooperstown is rather enjoyable.

Reactions: Runner77

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I find the only hockey talk I can catch myself listening is TSN Overdrive in the afternoon sometimes when they aren't talking about the Leafs, what local radio show would you guys recommend to me if I wanted some good sports talk? French or English works but I find the radio here pretty lackluster, I've been tuning into New York radio these days it's much more enjoyable than anything local IMO but i'd love some opinions of good sports talk shows in the area

Reactions: jackeymoon

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
There was a time when Michael Farber was relevant. I used to read him in his early years, but listening to him now as a weekly 690 guest, it’s just a bunch of obscure memories jumbled together. He loves to hear himself speak and you can tell that he suffers no fools.

At one point Melnick tried to include Gallo in the conversation and instead of throwing it back to Farber, Gallo gave an opinion replete with cliches. Farber then resumed by addressing Melnick by name but not Gallo. Gallo was not to be heard for the rest of the Farber segment. Someone finally giving Gallo the respect he deserves.
Can't stand engaging with people like Farber talk,need a couple of espressos or something to speed them up.:pullhair:

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Melnick told Gallo today he still had a blindspot for the Leafs since he was a Leafs fan. Gallo kinda seemed to be a bit miffed for a sec after Melnick said that. :) I like when Melnick is being a bit of a dick. :)

Having said that.. Even though I still quite enjoy listening to Melnick's show every day, enough with Dan Bern and his nasally voice already.
I'm rather ambivalent as I don't listen too intently and more in the background when toiling with some tasks or what not. Does help me keep apprised of some Habs ''news'' though. One would think that a city the size on Montreal that they would be able to find more professional sounding on air talent.
But yes,enough of that Dan Bern guy! FFS. If not for Melnyck,would anyone know who this dude is?:dunno:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Why was it a lousy experience? Cooperstown is rather enjoyable.
Uncomfortable cheap ass, old rickety bus. No scheduled stop on the way to Cooperstown during a 5 plus hour ride. On the way back, one stop for food but way too short with the long lineups. Poor scheduling.

Last edited:
Reactions: angusyoung

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Uncomfortable cheap ass, old rickety bus. No scheduled stop on the way too Cooperstown during a 5 plus hour ride. On the way back, one stop for food but way too short with the long lineups. Poor scheduling.
That's unfortunate,not all that difficult to plan aside from the length of the border time crossings. Those road side stops can get inundated with travelers and cause lengthy lines. Haven't taken many chartered bus trips but thought they all had lavatories. Long before 9-11 we'd hide things in the lavatory prior to border crossings which were a mere formality back then especially on a bus. 5+ hours without a piss-stop seems like tempting fate imo. Hope at least you enjoyed the time at Cooperstown.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
I swear even if the Habs players all retired and got replaced by AHL players, Norman Flynn would still ridicule the Habs for trying to rebuild instead of trying to be competitive in the present

Reactions: jackeymoon

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
That's unfortunate,not all that difficult to plan aside from the length of the border time crossings. Those road side stops can get inundated with travelers and cause lengthy lines. Haven't taken many chartered bus trips but thought they all had lavatories. Long before 9-11 we'd hide things in the lavatory prior to border crossings which were a mere formality back then especially on a bus. 5+ hours without a piss-stop seems like tempting fate imo. Hope at least you enjoyed the time at Cooperstown.
I should have driven there.

There was only a short window to watch the inaugurations, no time to visit the hall of fame. We were parked with a ton of other buses, on the outer edge of this massive expanse of grass where they set up stages for speeches. You couldn’t get close to the stage as it was fenced off on both sides, with a VIP section in the front of it.

Everyone else had to stand while the sun was beating on you. And, if you’re a Canadian and don’t know better and you’re wearing a cap to protect yourself from the sun, you’d better remember to remove it during the playing of the US anthem or else there will be a big bellied fully tattooed Murican behemoth with a megaphone voice, who will call you out. No joke, some of these unpleasant sorts just feast on that type of confrontation.

There were concession stands at the farther end of the field but the food was atrocious. It was all junk food but of the type that students prep for a college fund drive. Gross.

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I should have driven there.

There was only a short window to watch the inaugurations, no time to visit the hall of fame. We were parked with a ton of other buses, on the outer edge of this massive expanse of grass where they set up stages for speeches. You couldn’t get close to the stage as it was fenced off on both sides, with a VIP section in the front of it.

Everyone else had to stand while the sun was beating on you. And, if you’re a Canadian and don’t know better and you’re wearing a cap to protect yourself from the sun, you’d better remember to remove it during the playing of the US anthem or else there will be a big bellied fully tattooed Murican behemoth with a megaphone voice, who will call you out. No joke, some of these unpleasant sorts just feast on that type of confrontation.

There were concession stands at the farther end of the field but the food was atrocious. It was all junk food but of the type that students prep for a college fund drive. Gross.

f*** me! the more we delve into it,the worse it gets. Kind of feel bad for asking and bringing up sour memories. I have to automatically assume that the border crossings were inclusive of full body cavity searches:eek3: Then again that may have been the best part for some:dunno:
Never been there for any inductions or anything and it was rather quiet and sparse and could get around easily. Games were being played and no waiting for the batting cages,all in all pleasant and enjoyable.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
f*** me! the more we delve into it,the worse it gets. Kind of feel bad for asking and bringing up sour memories. I have to automatically assume that the border crossings were inclusive of full body cavity searches:eek3: Then again that may have been the best part for some:dunno:
Never been there for any inductions or anything and it was rather quiet and sparse and could get around easily. Games were being played and no waiting for the batting cages,all in all pleasant and enjoyable.
It’s cool that you asked. It reminded me how nice and comfortable it is to be your own driver and stop as often as you like. It was a real skimpy proposition, low cost but low entertainment too. Day was long. I would only go back on a non-inauguration week, take in the HOF and the sights and spend a night there so that it’s not rushed.

Glad I did it, though. You learn from every experience on the road, good or not so great.

Last edited:

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
It’s cool that you asked. It reminded me how nice and comfortable it is to be your own driver snd stop as often as you like. It was a real skimpy proposition, low cost but low entertainment too. Day was long. I would only go back on a non-inauguration week, take in the HOF and the sights and spend a night there so that it’s not rushed.

Glad I did it, though. You learn from every experience on the road, good or not so great.

I would agree going at your own pace is preferable. Not the same but in the same gist, I've know a few people that have taken bus holidays around Europe and it's go go go,a different place almost every night and day,taxing physically and just a glimpse at everything,but to each their own.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I would agree going at your own pace is preferable. Not the same but in the same gist, I've know a few people that have taken bus holidays around Europe and it's go go go,a different place almost every night and day,taxing physically and just a glimpse at everything,but to each their own.
I did a few cruises and it was the same feeling. Used to hate being in a different island every day, you had no time to do anything, constantly staring at your watch.

Best cruise was the one destination trip, where you spend about 3 days at sea and almost 4 days at the location.

However, that’s changed. Best cruise for me now is the one I won’t take.

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I did a few cruises and it was the same feeling. Used to hate being in a different island every day, you had no time to do anything, constantly staring at your watch.

Best cruise was the one destination trip, where you spend about 3 days at sea and almost 4 days at the location.

However, that’s changed. Best cruise for me now is the one I won’t take.
I know a lot of people that likes cruises,but not for me. Nice to see a lot,but can never just take it easy and just be at ease.
Must be some competitive rates though for cruises nowadays?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I know a lot of people that likes cruises,but not for me. Nice to see a lot,but can never just take it easy and just be at ease.
Must be some competitive rates though for cruises nowadays?
They’re still sending me flyers and I don’t even look at them. No doubt the pricing is good, they’ve lost a lot of clients to say the least. I’m done with it. Was never a fan, it was just a silly excuse to spend time with friends who were avid about it.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
i listened a bit in the car in the morning and one of them was going on and on how he cant be so rosie about the deadline as we dont know what picks will be blah blah blah. Level of argument was so week it was crazy.
It is like saying you selling something for top dollar, but you cant say it is good as you dont know what you can buy with those dollars in the future.
Bloody fools i say, if you sold for higher then the expected value, then your deal is good regardless what happens with picks, That would not be on the deadline but on the drafting and developing.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Why do I torture myself with this guy when I could spend my time stabbing my ears with a fork instead.

Flynn: Habs should have gotten rid of the bad contracts

The other day he said nobody would pay a 1st for Lehkonen unless we send a 2nd back with him lol (we got a recent 1st rounder PLUS a 2nd)
Now he is saying we should have dumped all our bad contracts during deadline and all the moves Hughes made were easy...
Then he says that only 5% of 1st round picks make it to NHL - WHAAAAAT???
HOW IS HE ON THE AIR!!

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad