TSN 690 and Other Montreal Based Media (Part 10)

DougHarvey

Aug 11, 2004
Sorry for my continually annoying posts in this thread as I’ve only been listening regularly the last few weeks (and that’s because of my Habs addiction), but, is Mitch Gallo the least charismatic voice on radio coupled with the least charismatic takes?

Gallo is just an annoying , entitled know nothing. He's got the perfect face for radio.

YukonCornelius 5thOA

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Gallo is just an annoying , entitled know nothing. He's got the perfect face for radio.

I can only conclude he has to work for peanuts and that’s why he has a job. Radio doesn’t pay well as it is, unless you’re a personality that brings in listeners that leads to advertisers. He’s not as we know.

You are really correct with your assessment though. Entitled, know nothing. You can hear he gets excited having jokes and casual relationships with their media callers, like he’s “one of the boys”.

The whole staff of that station sounds way too comfortable to me.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
My favorite comeuppance moment about Gallo, came in March 2019 with Adam Ward and Melnick laughing their heads off.

Ward's shock was palpable. He shot out "Oh my!" and "What was seen can't be unseen". He was talking about a pic that Ward had seen of Mitch Gallo that the latter had posted on social media. He added "I have to get the bleach out of my eyes after seeing Gallo in Barbados, in a bathing suit. I'm feeling nauseous, I'm losing my equilibrium."

Ward and Melnick were laughing their heads off when Melnick asked on which social media platform the photo was on but Ward played coy and wouldn't say.

And then quipped this classic: "It's the second coming of Danny DeVito in a bathing suit."

The pic was never identified but Gallo did leave these gems to work with:

2wg6jz.jpg

2wgywm.jpg

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Ward is relentless. On the following day, another lambasting about the vacationing Mitch Gallo in Barbados.

This time, he took him to task for sucking in his stomach, in a pic that Gallo had posted on Instagram on that day:

dctKORZ.jpg

Fenwick McCorsi

Not impress.
Mar 3, 2013
Montreal, QC
I’d say it’s a close race between Gallo and Sean Campbell in terms of lethal annoyance.
Lethal is right, they killed any desire I had to ever listen to 690 again years ago. I only want to find the sweet embrace of death anytime Gallo attempts to speak with authority on anything, and I hate how they tend to treat callers with differing opinions as simply wrong. Makes for a putrid listening experience, hell I find Marinaro bad but at least he can have a back and forth with people disagreeing/brings some life to a show.

Fenwick McCorsi

Not impress.
Mar 3, 2013
Montreal, QC
Ward is relentless. On the following day, another lambasting about the vacationing Mitch Gallo in Barbados.

This time, he took him to task for sucking in his stomach, in a pic that Gallo had posted on Instagram on that day:

dctKORZ.jpg
Don't judge a book by its cover, but knowing the book and now seeing the cover, it all makes sense. If my hairline was in the stratosphere but I needed a stack of phone books to reach the mic, I might be a crappy radio personality too.

Reactions: Runner77

YukonCornelius 5thOA

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Lethal is right, they killed any desire I had to ever listen to 690 again years ago. I only want to find the sweet embrace of death anytime Gallo attempts to speak with authority on anything, and I hate how they tend to treat callers with differing opinions as simply wrong. Makes for a putrid listening experience, hell I find Marinaro bad but at least he can have a back and forth with people disagreeing/brings some life to a show.

Yeah, this is my first time listening regularly since MB was hired. I put it on for s’s and g’s and heard the Toffoli trade get broken live so it’s turned me into some fiend thinking something exciting is about to be announced. Lol.

Otherwise it’s exactly as I remember it 10 years ago. I know it will pass, I’ll tune out soon, but as someone who’s life revolves around music, Melnick angers up my blood when I hear him pretending he knows everything about music when you can tell he googled whomever during the commercial break. If he had humility about it, like, “I only know a few songs and enjoyed them”, or said, “I don’t know everything about said artist, but…”, instead of trying to be some alpha dog know it all music guy. Plus, he doesn’t have a hip/cool bone in his body but seems to think he is.

Okay rant over, I swear.

Fenwick McCorsi

Not impress.
Mar 3, 2013
Montreal, QC
Yeah, this is my first time listening regularly since MB was hired. I put it on for s’s and g’s and heard the Toffoli trade get broken live so it’s turned me into some fiend thinking something exciting is about to be announced. Lol.

Otherwise it’s exactly as I remember it 10 years ago. I know it will pass, I’ll tune out soon, but as someone who’s life revolves around music, Melnick angers up my blood when I hear him pretending he knows everything about music when you can tell he googled whomever during the commercial break. If he had humility about it, like, “I only know a few songs and enjoyed them”, or said, “I don’t know everything about said artist, but…”, instead of trying to be some alpha dog know it all music guy. Plus, he doesn’t have a hip/cool bone in his body but seems to think he is.

Okay rant over, I swear.
It's understandable, they definitely have serious ego issues that come through loud and clear. And as you say it has been the same for ages, it's kind of oddly impressive.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It's understandable, they definitely have serious ego issues that come through loud and clear. And as you say it has been the same for ages, it's kind of oddly impressive.

I think their talent issues trump their egos. Some people just aren’t suited for broadcasting.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I crack up every time they are referring to “master control.” Sounds like a reference they lifted from Star Trek.

YukonCornelius 5thOA

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
690 needs to tell Tony to stop calling texters , idiots
he should not be allowed to read a text from a person and then call him names.. tony is a big mouth

Thanks pal. Was about to stream it as I work and realized the time coupled with this post. Haha.

Nails on a chalkboard that voice, and it gets worse once said voice starts sharing its “takes”.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
So is Campbell and his stupid pop quizzes gonna be the full time replacement for the Nilan Off the Cuff time slot now or what?

At least with Nilan, due to his connections from his playing days, had some great guests on his show from time to time which made for some interesting segments.

jackeymoon

Tropical!
Jan 16, 2018
Northern Ontario
So is Campbell and his stupid pop quizzes gonna be the full time replacement for the Nilan Off the Cuff time slot now or what?

At least with Nilan, due to his connections from his playing days, had some great guests on his show from time to time which made for some interesting segments.
The parade of mediocrity. Interesting to see Starr and Marinaro spending more and more time on individual podcasts. I wonder if 690s going to become a skeleton crew that just covers games? Wouldn't be the worst thing tbh

Campbell isn't a good host, Gallo is a midwit, Still is a woke frat boy and Jimmy G just sounds slow. Brutal "talent"

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Listening to 690 is like avoiding potholes on the road — I know where the craters are, so I switch stations a lot.

• Haha
Reactions: the

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Listening to 690 is like avoiding potholes on the road — I know where the craters are, so I switch stations a lot.

I've been trying to tolerate listening to the 2nd hour of Leafs lunch on TSN1050 for the past week or so and just can't get through it so I continue to half listen to Campbell and his BFF doing that quiz thingy.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I’ve had it with the Leroux snooze fest bombardment during Rocket broadcasts.

It’s not enough that Stéphane Leroux is doing PxP for all Laval games and mispronouncing player names, but this season, we have to put up with his lame, monotone Pilsbury-like son Jasmin, who is so inept that all he does is lob softball questions to complicit guests.

All of Jasmin’s interviews are so gushing that it sounds like an infomercial about the guy getting “interviewed”.

The Leroux assault is a wall to wall game affair, and is cringe AF as it’s obvious to anyone that Jasmin got fast tracked and doesn’t have the experience nor the on-camera personality to be on a professional broadcast.

Reminds me of those days when Chuckles Carrière used to get interviewed during Rocket broadcasts and used to brag about his son Nick. And then in another segment, Chuckles and Nick used to get interviewed together in a fastidious exercise of compliment showers.

If this weren’t enough, during tonight’s Rocket game, I heard Stephane Leroux doing a 5 minute self-promo about a weekly podcast that he does. Five minutes of him saying how good and informative his podcast is. :facepalm:

And just when I thought I had enough of Stéphane, doesn’t he show up on the AC segment that followed the Rocket game repeating the same self-aggrandizing garbage in that off putting tone of his.

Who do the Leroux clan think they are — Sean Campbell? :help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad