TSN 690 and Other Montreal Based Media (Part 10)

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Peter from Cote St-Luc is dim witted and comes across as mentally challenged. Marinaro has found someone who is not all there and is using him as a circus animal, which is abhorrent. Just cringe radio.

Yeah, a lot of listeners like when Peter calls because he's a real character. But the way Tony talks to him is condescending and shameful.

And I like Tony and his show. But that is not cool at all.

Reactions: Runner77

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Tony enjoys the power advantage over individuals who have a lower IQ than he does. He’ll occasionally find one and when he does, he latches on for dear life.
Tony boasts that 20 years ago when he was given a chance at talk radio, he could hardly speak English, but now he speaks French, Greek and of course his mother tongue Italian.

As bombastic as he is, I only listen to him from 10:00 to 10:30 AM and Habs Lunch at Noon.

Reactions: Tyson

YukonCornelius 5thOA

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Tony boasts that 20 years ago when he was given a chance at talk radio, he could hardly speak English, but now he speaks French, Greek and of course his mother tongue Italian.

As bombastic as he is, I only listen to him from 10:00 to 10:30 AM and Habs Lunch at Noon.

Is that also why Simon Tsalikis speaks exactly like him?

Corson27

Oct 30, 2016
they're mostly just sycophants. The people that call in mostly just wanna hear themselves talk and get chummy with whoever the host is. Have you ever noticed the types of calls Tony gets many of them put on their own act or blatantly try to mimic and act like Tony with the same type of speech pattern etc?

I do get a kick out of Peter from Cote St Luc though.

This is what frustrates me about the Post Game Show too - you have clowns hosting the show who like to throw out superfluous discussion topics (say, along the lines, " In honor of Andrew Hammond joining the team, please tell us what your favorite McDonald meal is - you got that, tell us your favorite McDonald meal") instead of providing intelligent post-game analysis, and asking the listeners to do likewise. This attracts callers who, like you say, like to mimic the antics of the hosts, or those who call because the like to hear themselves talk, and a large part of the show becomes dedicate to buffoonery. From there, one thing leads to another and inevitably, a caller regales the audience with a story about how he and his wife met the McDonald's on the corner back in 1979. Gallo and Campbell crack up (because . . . like minds and all that) and tell the caller to call back anytime.

Unclewhalebone

Aug 28, 2009
This is what frustrates me about the Post Game Show too - you have clowns hosting the show who like to throw out superfluous discussion topics (say, along the lines, " In honor of Andrew Hammond joining the team, please tell us what your favorite McDonald meal is - you got that, tell us your favorite McDonald meal") instead of providing intelligent post-game analysis, and asking the listeners to do likewise. This attracts callers who, like you say, like to mimic the antics of the hosts, or those who call because the like to hear themselves talk, and a large part of the show becomes dedicate to buffoonery. From there, one thing leads to another and inevitably, a caller regales the audience with a story about how he and his wife met the McDonald's on the corner back in 1979. Gallo and Campbell crack up (because . . . like minds and all that) and tell the caller to call back anytime.

They talk about McDonald’s (what seems like) every day on 690. I’d be shocked if it wasn’t paid embedded advertising.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Peter from Cote St-Luc is dim witted and comes across as mentally challenged. Marinaro has found someone who is not all there and is using him as a circus animal, which is abhorrent. Just cringe radio.
LOL well said. I know a little about Peter. Retired lawyer, quite old and not altogether there

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
They talk about McDonald’s (what seems like) every day on 690. I’d be shocked if it wasn’t paid embedded advertising.

That plus that’s probably all they can afford on their measly Walmart-greeter level salaries.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

This captures the essence of why it can be so exasperating to listen to these guys, it’s just infantile banter. Being afforded a mic is a responsibility and a privilege. Respect your audience and do your homework. These guys can’t ad lib for crap and it’s obvious why — they don’t know much and have limited experience and they’re not all that bright.

There must be some kind of portal in their control room whereby any jackass who turns knobs, presses buttons and answers phones for 6 months is automatically deemed a sports broadcaster.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I was already listening to 690 when Tony came on. He opens with soccer despite last night’s Habs game. Sure, cover other sports but this is first and foremost a Habs market.
Whatever.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
tony is a tool, loud mouth... 690 needs to get better sports people... figland tsn radio is better, sadly

Probably should give that a try. Although, won’t they be excessively figgy? How varied is their coverage?

Reactions: angusyoung

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
tony is a tool, loud mouth... 690 needs to get better sports people... figland tsn radio is better, sadly

Meh.. The Leafs Lunch show is terrible sports radio. Not sure about the rest of the TSN 1050 content but that show and hosts (from today anyway) are beyond awful IMO. Also every time they play a Joe Bowen clip I want to rip my ears off and eat them. I'll stick with 690 for my hockey talk.

Reactions: angusyoung

Suzuki x 14

GoHabsGo
Mar 14, 2006
Montreal
I was already listening to 690 when Tony came on. He opens with soccer despite last night’s Habs game. Sure, cover other sports but this is first and foremost a Habs market.
Whatever.

game 50-something in a lost season vs advancing to the Quarter finals of the Champions League.
Absolutely no issue with starting his show with soccer talk. I’m a fan of both

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad