TSN 690 and Other Montreal Based Media (Part 10)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I just caught those three stooges, they were one worse than the other —a real cringe fest. The Arnie guy did took the gloves off by referring to Price’s psychological issues.

Tony kept saying how much of a valued listener Arnie is but then called him by other names like Artie and whatnot. :laugh:

The whole thing was a fail. This was Marinaro trying too hard to recreate a a schtick that Ted Texan used to pull off brilliantly. Giancarlo, the winner of the Maniscalco tickets, was a boring sap who trafficked in cliches and generalities. If this were Tevan, he would have made Giancarlo sweat and and would have ripped into him.

How may times does Marinaro have to say “exactly”? That limited vocabulary of his is like clockwork. Friggin’ cafone.

Last edited:

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
So is Campbell and his stupid pop quizzes gonna be the full time replacement for the Nilan Off the Cuff time slot now or what?

At least with Nilan, due to his connections from his playing days, had some great guests on his show from time to time which made for some interesting segments.

looks like it. The most vanilla guy on the roster. Fitting he plays the most vanilla opening theme to the show too. His topics forever...Aaron Rodgers and the Habs lineups and what changes can be made day to day.

Reactions: Runner77

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
anyone catch Campbell around 2:30 today? If there was ever any doubt this is amateur hour, college radio, he said the quiet part out loud. Gallo asked him why he was whispering and he replied he needed to save his voice so he could the 690 night shift during habs post game. What kind of shit is this? is it campbell690? they can't afford others in there?

Corson27

Oct 30, 2016
So is Campbell and his stupid pop quizzes gonna be the full time replacement for the Nilan Off the Cuff time slot now or what?

At least with Nilan, due to his connections from his playing days, had some great guests on his show from time to time which made for some interesting segments.
Substituting quality content with nonsense like the pop quiz or other frivolous BS in shows that should otherwise inform and entertain the audience is Campbell and Gallo's specialty. It's lazy, juvenile (You Got Censored, fck is it ever childish), and tiresome; the perfect personification of these two very pedestrian "sports" talk show hosts

eklund the clown

Dec 28, 2010
They have to spice up tsn 690 and soon.They need an influx of talent .About the only one i can stomach is Tony and even he can get under my skin quickly.About 95% of the listeners want to hear Habs talk.When he starts the soccer talk which is way too often i shut it off.A rare time i turn on the afternoon show and have no idea what they are babbling about but it isn't sports and it's terribly boring.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
They have to spice up tsn 690 and soon.They need an influx of talent .About the only one i can stomach is Tony and even he can get under my skin quickly.About 95% of the listeners want to hear Habs talk.When he starts the soccer talk which is way too often i shut it off.A rare time i turn on the afternoon show and have no idea what they are babbling about but it isn't sports and it's terribly boring.

It’s been pretty much the same programming and cast of characters for more than a decade now. Most other stations have seen shakeups and new individuals brought in. Instead, 690 feels like a rudderless ship — there is no one it seems, to demand certain standards and to maintain them.

When the best contributions are constantly those of their guests, it makes you wonder when some of those guests might be converted into show hosts.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
It’s been pretty much the same programming and cast of characters for more than a decade now. Most other stations have seen shakeups and new individuals brought in. Instead, 690 feels like a rudderless ship — there is no one it seems, to demand certain standards and to maintain them.

When the best contributions are constantly those of their guests, it makes you wonder when some of those guests might be converted into show hosts.
it's incredibly pathetic. Was hoping someone would come in for Alfieri - and it's Jon still...was hoping someone would come in for Nilan and it's Campbell. Gallo and campbell : a perpetual migraine.
And then they bring in these witless interns for the odd banter. It's really terrible, and melnick seems to be in semi-retirement and doesn't give a shit. Seriously. You can sense it and the guy is absent at least one a week it seems

PuckNorris

Mar 11, 2008
Montreal
Montreal doesn't have enough pro sports to have serious talk radio. If there was an NBA team, an NFL team or even an MLB team, there would be more quality hosts.

Imagine trying to attract quality talent when all they would do is talk Habs 24/7. Even Morency talked about how much he hated working at team 990 because it would be 99% Habs talk. He eventually ended up getting picked up for his own Sirius XM show and left.

Plus I doubt they pay much. They need to get lucky and recruit young kids that maybe become good future hosts.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Suzuki x 14

GoHabsGo
Mar 14, 2006
Montreal
Had to step out during the game so I had 690 on in the car to listen to Dan and Sergio.

Guess Sergio wasn't available tonight, Campbell is now the backup colour commentator too

Reactions: jaffy27

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Had to step out during the game so I had 690 on in the car to listen to Dan and Sergio.

Guess Sergio wasn't available tonight, Campbell is now the backup colour commentator too
Glad I missed that. Since when is the color job assumed by someone who doesn't have experience as a player or as a hockey insider? Asking stupid questions all day long makes you eligible to do color? Only on 690.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Glad I missed that. Since when is the color job assumed by someone who doesn't have experience as a player or as a hockey insider? Asking stupid questions all day long makes you eligible to do color? Only on 690.

I do hope they reached out to JP O'Connor to see if he could do it before they asked Campbell.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

The pop quizzes have to go, they are boring games, we’re not 10 FFS…..Campbell is actually really bad when he’s leading a segment

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Anyone know what happened to weekend game plan? I actually liked listening to it on the weekend
Matthew Ross is on air this morning.

He’s a fine weekend host who also runs bus tours to sporting events. I used his service to Cooperstown when Pedro Martinez was inducted and had a lousy experience. He should stick to radio.

Last edited:
Reactions: angusyoung

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Matthew Ross is on air this morning.

He’s a fine host weekend host who also runs bus tours to sporting events. I used his service to Cooperstown when Pedro Martinez was inducted and had a lousy experience. He should stick to radio.
Sorry Run, I actually can't stand Matthew Ross as a radio host. There's a reason they bury him saturday and sunday morning. He's so ill-prepared on air, so clueless about everything outside of baseball and a bit of hockey. Come to think of it, he fits right in! I'm 100% sure he pays for his own airtime. He should stick to bus tours
:slaugh:

-Hu-Go

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I just caught those three stooges, they were one worse than the other —a real cringe fest. The Arnie guy did took the gloves off by referring to Price’s psychological issues.

Tony kept saying how much of a valued listener Arnie is but then called him by other names like Artie and whatnot. :laugh:

The whole thing was a fail. This was Marinaro trying too hard to recreate a a schtick that Ted Texan used to pull off brilliantly. Giancarlo, the winner of the Maniscalco tickets, was a boring sap who trafficked in cliches and generalities. If this were Tevan, he would have made Giancarlo sweat and and would have ripped into him.

How may times does Marinaro have to say “exactly”? That limited vocabulary of his is like clockwork. Friggin’ cafone.
I listen to Marinaro's podcast. They are pretty good. Had John Leclair on other day good interview. He had Savard on a few months back was good one also. D'Amico did a decent draft podcast. But I rarely listen to 690

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Sorry Run, I actually can't stand Matthew Ross as a radio host. There's a reason they bury him saturday and sunday morning. He's so ill-prepared on air, so clueless about everything outside of baseball and a bit of hockey. Come to think of it, he fits right in! I'm 100% sure he pays for his own airtime. He should stick to bus tours
:slaugh:

-Hu-Go
Well, Ross can’t be all that good, he’s a part timer on 690 after all. When I say he’s fine, I mean for a live weekend show. We already know 690 has worse hosts that they can inflict.

Are you finally coming to terms with the potential of calling yourself Hu-Go, lol.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Well, Ross can’t be all that good, he’s a part timer on 690 after all. When I say he’s fine, I mean for a live weekend show. We already know 690 has worse hosts that they can inflict.

Are you finally coming to terms with the potential of calling yourself Hu-Go, lol.
LOL ok. and yes i'm coming to terms!

Hu-Go

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
There was a time when Michael Farber was relevant. I used to read him in his early years, but listening to him now as a weekly 690 guest, it’s just a bunch of obscure memories jumbled together. He loves to hear himself speak and you can tell that he suffers no fools.

At one point Melnick tried to include Gallo in the conversation and instead of throwing it back to Farber, Gallo gave an opinion replete with cliches. Farber then resumed by addressing Melnick by name but not Gallo. Gallo was not to be heard for the rest of the Farber segment. Someone finally giving Gallo the respect he deserves.

Corson27

Oct 30, 2016
It's 6:40 PM, and I am listening to "Melmen in the Afternoon" or something like that. In any case, Melnick asks Gallo what the question was on the Post Game Show, last night. Before the clown host of the Post Game Show responded, I instantly knew his question to the audience would have had nothing to do with last night's game, or hockey for that matter.

Sure enough, Gallo responds, "I was asking people what they could do in 8 seconds;"
"One caller said he could drink an Angry Gallo Ale in 8 seconds"

Oh joy. How enlightening! This is what passes as post game analysis on SC690. FFS!

YukonCornelius 5thOA

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
It's 6:40 PM, and I am listening to "Melmen in the Afternoon" or something like that. In any case, Melnick asks Gallo what the question was on the Post Game Show, last night. Before the clown host of the Post Game Show responded, I instantly knew his question to the audience would have had nothing to do with last night's game, or hockey for that matter.

Sure enough, Gallo responds, "I was asking people what they could do in 8 seconds;"
"One caller said he could drink an Angry Gallo Ale in 8 seconds"

Oh joy. How enlightening! This is what passes as post game analysis on SC690. FFS!
Did you hear Gallo yesterday talking about the Mathews suspension? His voice went up a register and he was stuttering, it made me cringe. No dignity or professionalism.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Did you hear Gallo yesterday talking about the Mathews suspension? His voice went up a register and he was stuttering, it made me cringe. No dignity or professionalism.

Melnick told Gallo today he still had a blindspot for the Leafs since he was a Leafs fan. Gallo kinda seemed to be a bit miffed for a sec after Melnick said that. :) I like when Melnick is being a bit of a dick. :)

Having said that.. Even though I still quite enjoy listening to Melnick's show every day, enough with Dan Bern and his nasally voice already.

YukonCornelius 5thOA

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Melnick told Gallo today he still had a blindspot for the Leafs since he was a Leafs fan. Gallo kinda seemed to be a bit miffed for a sec after Melnick said that. :) I like when Melnick is being a bit of a dick. :)

Having said that.. Even though I still quite enjoy listening to Melnick's show every day, enough with Dan Bern and his nasally voice already.
Yes! I turn off the speakers anytime Melnick is so delighted to play that Weird Al Arlo Guthrie. No offence to Mr. Yankovich and Mr. Guthrie.

Corson27

Oct 30, 2016
No, to the extent I can, I try to avoid shows Gallo (or Campbell) hosts or co-hosts. I mostly tune in to hear the insiders or Dan, and once they are done, I tune to 91.9 or 98.5. I'll give Melnick's show a shot every now and then, but even his show, I take in small doses. Tonight was happenstance, really.

I am not surprised about Gallo's lack of dignity, in fact, I would be somewhat surprised (although, pleasantly so) if he did displayed any. If he ever does, let me know - I am willing to give him another go if he ever grows out of his childish adolescence.

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

Exactly!:thumbu: but who's Ted Texan, some hired gunslinger from the old west?:DD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad