TSN 690 and Other Montreal Based Media (Part 10)

First Line

Summer of Love
Aug 21, 2002
Laval
Why do I torture myself with this guy when I could spend my time stabbing my ears with a fork instead.

Flynn: Habs should have gotten rid of the bad contracts

The other day he said nobody would pay a 1st for Lehkonen unless we send a 2nd back with him lol (we got a recent 1st rounder PLUS a 2nd)
Now he is saying we should have dumped all our bad contracts during deadline and all the moves Hughes made were easy...
Then he says that only 5% of 1st round picks make it to NHL - WHAAAAAT???
HOW IS HE ON THE AIR!!
Its a bunch of nonsensical drivel.
Says we should trade all the big contracts but doesn’t want to rebuild.
Goes on to say we should unload them to be competitive but that with all those players we are too good to miss the playoffs.

I just listen to hear Marinaro yell at him for his moronic takes.

Asif10

Mar 16, 2022
i listen to tsn 690 a lot, and the amount of time Normand has been inconsistent is wild. he's like the poorman's version of skip bayless.

tbh the only show worth listening to on tsn 690:

Marinaro :i know there's haters but my guy is passionate but he's entertaining and he has his sources.
Habs lunch: good podcast to have on the background
Mike Johnson & Aaron Ward: nice players perspective

everything else is wtv

Reactions: Redux91

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I just listen to hear Marinaro yell at him for his moronic takes.
It's a set up. Marinaro does the same with Peter from Westmount -- brings in a low wattage guy that he can easily manipulate.

Everyone knows that Flynn's takes are nonsensical. Very easy for Marinaro to make himself look like the guy with the reasonable positions when his counterpart is off base as often and as glaringly as Flynn is. It's an old radio schtick that the likes of Tom Lapointe and Richard Morency would hilariously execute in their heyday and always had listeners falling for it.

Last edited:

YukonCornelius 5thOA

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Marinaro’s voice is nails on a chalkboard to me, might be a chicken and egg thing coupled with his takes.

The fact he has to essentially secrete a sound out of his face every 5 seconds doesn’t help.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Marinaro’s voice is nails on a chalkboard to me, might be a chicken and egg thing coupled with his takes.

The fact he has to essentially secrete a sound out of his face every 5 seconds doesn’t help.
He’s great for people who love soccer and who enjoy commercials for local food joints that he gets into mid-sentence, with no advance notice. Whenever he does this, I’m off to another station.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
It's a set up. Marinaro does the same with Peter from Westmount -- brings in a low wattage guy that he can easily manipulate.

Everyone knows that Flynn's takes are nonsensical. Very easy for Marinaro to make himself look like the guy with the reasonable positions when his counterpart is off base as often and as glaringly as Flynn is. It's an old radio schtick that the likes of Tom Lapointe and Richard Morency would hilariously execute in their heyday and always had listeners falling for it.

Same thing he does with Brendan kelly

DougHarvey

Aug 11, 2004
Not sure if this is the right thread to post this but those three TURDS from Bardown were the absolute worst panel I have ever seen. If this is the future of sports analysis we are in a sad state.

Reactions: jackeymoon

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Sad that I turn to 1050 TSN to hear sports talk,
690 is Tony mouth is flapping and tearing down the public , because FIFA is all he wants
He’s a soccer guy first and foremost, nothing he does surprises me. Channel flipping has never been more necessary for those of us who can’t get into it.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Sad that I turn to 1050 TSN to hear sports talk,
690 is Tony mouth is flapping and tearing down the public , because FIFA is all he wants
Tony's child like tantrums when people tell him they don't care about soccer is getting worse and worse to the point he's telling listeners to turn his show off now. Telling listeners to tune out sounds like a bad idea to me when his show relies on listeners to stay alive. :dunno:

It just seems difficult for him to understand and accept that people are just not passionate about soccer like he is and they just don't care about the sport at all.

Now I'm not a soccer fan but I do realize he also as listeners who enjoy when he talks soccer and that he needs to cater to these listeners as well. I usually just tune out when the topic being discussed doesn't interest me like the soccer topic doesn't.

I've also been tuning into Leafs Lunch on TSN1050 of late. It's not great sports radio and very catered to the Leafs by a couple of huge Leafs homer hosts (as expected) but they do have better guests than what Habs lunch does and what Campbell does on Knuckles old show. Plus I'm still kinda ticked off over Nilan being let go and there's only so much Campbell I can tolerate in one day.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Tony's child like tantrums when people tell him they don't care about soccer is getting worse and worse to the point he's telling listeners to turn his show off now. Telling listeners to tune out sounds like a bad idea to me when his show relies on listeners to stay alive. :dunno:

It just seems difficult for him to understand and accept that people are just not passionate about soccer like he is and they just don't care about the sport at all.

Now I'm not a soccer fan but I do realize he also as listeners who enjoy when he talks soccer and that he needs to cater to these listeners as well. I usually just tune out when the topic being discussed doesn't interest me like the soccer topic doesn't.

I've also been tuning into Leafs Lunch on TSN1050 of late. It's not great sports radio and very catered to the Leafs by a couple of huge Leafs homer hosts (as expected) but they do have better guests than what Habs lunch does and what Campbell does on Knuckles old show. Plus I'm still kinda ticked off over Nilan being let go and there's only so much Campbell I can tolerate in one day.
I could never get into soccer as much as I tried. Best I’ve done is watch Team Canada and a few World Cup games.

For me, 690 has mostly been a black hole from 10 AM - 3 PM. I’ll occasionally tune in during Marinaro’s show and only listen if there’s an interesting hockey guest. I totally flee anything that involves Campbell.

Bell doesn’t seem to care all that much about the quality of its broadcasters on 690, so it looks like it’s going to stay the way it is.

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I could never get into soccer as much as I tried. Best I’ve done is watch Team Canada and a few World Cup games.

For me, 690 has mostly been a black hole from 10 AM - 3 PM. I’ll occasionally tune in during Marinaro’s show and only listen if there’s an interesting hockey guest. I totally flee anything that involves Campbell.

Bell doesn’t seem to care all that much about the quality of its broadcasters on 690, so it looks like it’s going to stay the way it is.
Yes,he should know his listening audience and cater to the consensus.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
where the hell is melnyk? it's getting weird. he's very irregular for the last year. seems like he doesn't give two f***s. he's supposed to be a cornerstone there. take his 6 figure salary and spread it around among some new talented people

Reactions: jackeymoon

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Why do I torture myself with this guy when I could spend my time stabbing my ears with a fork instead.

Flynn: Habs should have gotten rid of the bad contracts

The other day he said nobody would pay a 1st for Lehkonen unless we send a 2nd back with him lol (we got a recent 1st rounder PLUS a 2nd)
Now he is saying we should have dumped all our bad contracts during deadline and all the moves Hughes made were easy...
Then he says that only 5% of 1st round picks make it to NHL - WHAAAAAT???
HOW IS HE ON THE AIR!!
That's why that segment is so great, it's truly hilarious lo.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
where the hell is melnyk? it's getting well weird. he's very irregular for the last year. seems like he doesn't give two f***s. he's supposed to be a cornerstone there. take his 6 figure salary and spread it around among some new talented people
I heard Gallo say yesterday that MelNick was not feeling well but no other details were given.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
So did Mitch Melnick hate Pierre McGuire after all?

Literally haven't heard a peep about his "great friends" new job nor have I heard any mention of the famous last interview. Anyone else find it odd?
Generally, friends don't talk about their friends jobs with NDAs in public.

Suzuki x 14

GoHabsGo
Mar 14, 2006
Montreal
I truly enjoy watching soccer, and talking it for that matter, I love that Tony dedicates time to the sport. However, 50 minutes into a show on the so called “home of the Habs” to not even simply mention the word Habs, is disgraceful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad