TSN: 58% of Canadians are not watching/paying attention to the Stanley Cup Finals.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

"While American viewership for Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final on Saturday night was somewhat middling, it was a somewhat different story north of the border.

A strong showing in Canada propelled Game 1 to 7.1 million North American viewers per the NHL, the most-watched Stanley Cup Final Game 1 since 2019, and an increase of 43 percent overall from last year."

Canadian fans are just lying in these polls.
What was game 2?

I wouldn't be surprised if that viewership tanked after game 1.... Saturday night, Canadian team in the finals, cup finals.... No surprise the ratings were up over recent years. But how that sustains over the series will be more telling.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
This is a country of charlatans after all
… and beady eyed misfits…

1718152591011.jpeg

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Have you watched Edmonton? I wouldn't be paying attention either, the Lightning were a bigger challenge for the Panthers.
I m all in cause it's the finals......but I gotta say. Oil vs kings , Oil vs Canucks, Oil vs stars .... were not all that great to watch .
Series that were great to watch this play offs
Knights Stars
Panthers Bolts
Canes Rags
Panthers Bruins
Aves Stars
Aves Jets
Panthers Rags

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
I know quite a few who lost interest because of how long the playoffs drag out. Also some others who just aren’t interested in the teams playing but no more of them than usual.

Reactions: awegrzyn

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
I know quite a few who lost interest because of how long the playoffs drag out. Also some others who just aren’t interested in the teams playing but no more of them than usual.

This. The playoffs end in late June. l'd rather be outside.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
What percentage of Canada’s population are immigrants from Asian countries where ice hockey is not popular?

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Cant speak for all of Canada but here in Van, almost everyone i know through the hockey community ( beer league, coaching, friends etc) are not watching the games at all. They might tune in to Sportcentre at the end of the night to see the score and highlights but thats about it. Summer weather is here with plenty of things to do and its hard to convince people to watch a game that their team is not playing in.
People use more time to discuss hockey on the internet than watching hockey.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Isn't that a ton of Canada?

If you're expecting 80% that is never happening. Canada is known for hockey but its not a requirement

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
Hockey use to be the conversation centerpiece at the office, the younger generation don't give a shit.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
So much for Edmonton being " Canada's team", I guess the Boston Pizza commercials didnt work

Stay salty my friend and why are you acting like 42% of people in an entire country watching a game isn't a lot.

The reality is that most of the population in Canada or anywhere in the world are not big sports fans. Add in that it's summer and most people who don't have a rooting interest in this series aren't going to make the time to watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jason316

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Time of year is essential.

I'm as big of a hockey fan as I have ever met, and yet when June comes I want to be outside and watching the FInals often feels like a chore.

Waiting a week was a f***ing joke. Trying to build hype to bring in the casual while alienating the hardcore fans (but what else is new?).

I don't like Florida, but I hate Edmonton. So I'm hoping for the Panthers strongly, but not with much positivity.

I watched last night's game and was actually finding myself really bored and unengaged for a lot of the game.
Now, part of it is that I'm tired, and part of it is that I don't naturally like either team so it has to be a good game for me to be excited (if it was the Canucks I would have been on the edge of my seat regardless, of course).

But it's not particularly compelling hockey, many people don't really like either team, and it's beautiful and sunny out and lots of us have friends, partners, hobbies, jobs, etc.

NHL needs to start in mid September and end in mid May.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
In my experience over the decades with friends from up north, Canada is a community that feels there are bigger issues and concerns than sports.

This kind of proves it.
Well if anyone has paid attention to any sort of news dealing with Canada you can quickly find out why Canadians aren’t really paying attention to sports let alone hockey right now. Not to get too political but 50,000 people joined in a March for Israel in Toronto that included Brendan Shanahan. There’s also a weather factor here as well. People want to go out and enjoy the nice weather when we get it. Why stay in when you enjoy a patio.

Reactions: BlueSeal

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
Quite simple why I’m not watching.

I couldn’t take another minute of Sportsnet coverage. Listening to Simpson is agonizing and it was clear in the Van/Edm series they only had 29 and 97 talking points.

Also, Edmonton are boring when you realize all they are is a really good power play with 2 elite players. No idea why McDavid has such appeal I find his personality utterly cringe worthy and his play is very one dimensional.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
Almost 50% of the country is watching it, what do they want? Not because it's the national sports that EVERYONE is watching it. Honestly hockey in June is too much, also they put a WHOLE week between the SC final it's totally ridiculous

Reactions: albator71

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad