TSN: 58% of Canadians are not watching/paying attention to the Stanley Cup Finals.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I’m pretty sure that’s the same or better than for Americans and the Super Bowl
No way, last Super Bowl over 200M viewers watched at least a portion of the Super Bowl. Generally about 60% of Americans watch the super bowl. Last year was closer to 70% thanks to ol' T. Swift.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
You don't have to like the guy to acknowledge his skill level. I'm not an Oilers fan but I have no problem saying McDavid is one of the most  talented players to ever play the game. If you cant admit he is incredibly skilled, you're just being obtuse. If you don't understand why the top players in sports leagues who either win or are in the running for the top awards every single year are popular amongst fans, then you're just naive.
I understand perfectly, I just don’t care. Yes, he is talented and never suggested he wasn’t skilled. After watching him against Van he looked average and one dimensional.

There are some hockey fans who simply don’t buy into the Connor McDavid hype and I am certainly one of them.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB

"While American viewership for Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final on Saturday night was somewhat middling, it was a somewhat different story north of the border.

A strong showing in Canada propelled Game 1 to 7.1 million North American viewers per the NHL, the most-watched Stanley Cup Final Game 1 since 2019, and an increase of 43 percent overall from last year."

Canadian fans are just lying in these polls.
not bad at all.

Its a tough sell having the finals during the beginning of Summer in a country that has such a short span of nice weather.

58% of Canadians can't afford their cable sports package​

that's not a lie. I can probably count on one hand the number of people that subscribe to either cable or a streaming sports service that has NHL coverage.

Reactions: NailsHoglander

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Sports fans overrate how popular sports actually are...

Sports are a pretty popular thing... I mean 42% of the country at least casually keeping tabs on things ain't nothing, it's actually a pretty big number, but ya, most people don't care, and this often seems to surprise Joe Sportsfan.

To be honest, for various reasons, I only watched 5-10 minutes of game 1, didn't see any of game 2, and chances are I'm not going to see a ton of whatever is left. Given this could drag out until late June, it's very possible, if the weather is nice, I might not find out who won this thing until I start paying attention again in the fall.:sarcasm:

Is it 58% of general population or 58% of hockey audience ?

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
I understand perfectly, I just don’t care. Yes, he is talented and never suggested he wasn’t skilled. After watching him against Van he looked average and one dimensional.

There are some hockey fans who simply don’t buy into the Connor McDavid hype and I am certainly one of them.
So what am I responding to? My whole response was to your statement, 'I have no idea why he is so popular,' and now that I have explained why he is popular you 'understand perfectly.' So it looks like my job here is done.

Again, it wasn't about you liking him. Many people don't like him. But to claim you 'have no idea why' others like him just screams like pushing a personal agenda.

Reactions: Jason316

DingerMcSlapshot

Dec 1, 2017
Hockey is slowly dying in Canada. About 40% participants drop in the last 15 years. Even with population increases. Costs and kids lack of interest spells trouble ahead.

Reactions: awegrzyn

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
When two smaller markets meet in the SCF the ratings will take a hit. Had the Rangers made the finals instead of Florida that would've boosted the ratings significantly but it is what it is. The majority of people outside of Florida and Edmonton don't really care about this match up.....

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
So what am I responding to? My whole response was to your statement, 'I have no idea why he is so popular,' and now that I have explained why he is popular you 'understand perfectly.' So it looks like my job here is done.

Again, it wasn't about you liking him. Many people don't like him. But to claim you 'have no idea why' others like him just screams like pushing a personal agenda.
Feel better? Jesus Christ this is an opinion so just chill….and congratulation's for determining what a personal agenda on a public forum looks like….bravo!

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
So much for Edmonton being " Canada's team"

I never understood this sentiment. I almost choked when I saw LeBrun pre-series basically rooting for "Canada's team" in tweet. They are not.

I speak only for myself but having many hockey-loving friends over the years I can share the general sentiment is that the only time I'd cheer for a Canadian team (besides the Leafs) winning the Cup is if they are playing Boston. And even then it would be difficult.

As a Toronto fan, I don't like Edmonton. Or Vancouver. Or Calgary. Or Winnipeg. Montreal is the worst. Ottawa I simply feel sorry for. (Edit: To clarify I dislike the teams, not the cities. Montreal is awesome. To be clear: The city is awesome, the team is not good.)

And maybe that helps explain why the viewership is not higher? Personally I have watched parts of both games and although I have trouble cheering for Florida, for the rest of this series I'm all in on Barkov, Bob & even that annoying pest Matt. Hope they sweep.

And if Toronto ever, somehow, as impossible as it seems makes a Cup final I fully expect Oilers, Canucks & Habs fans praying to their last breath we lose too. That's what being a Canadian hockey fan is all about and I'm damn proud of it. 🇨🇦

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
When two smaller markets meet in the SCF the ratings will take a hit. Had the Rangers made the finals instead of Florida that would've boosted the ratings significantly but it is what it is. The majority of people outside of Florida and Edmonton don't really care about this match up.....
Think you meant to say leaf fans don’t care. We already know they aren’t hockey fans just leafs fans.

But everyone feels sorry for leaf fans not ever winning 3 rounds.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
So much for Edmonton being " Canada's team", I guess the Boston Pizza commercials didnt work

42% of Canadians watching is a lot. I bet you 58% of Canadians never watched a hockey game in their life. Look at all the immigrants in canada, they don't give a flying f*** about hockey.

nucks88

Jan 8, 2012
The Left Coast
Hockey is the number one sport in Finland too and if we got 42% of us watching or even following the Liiga finals that would be insane.

This just seems like a bitter Canuck fan post grasping on straws.
I think it is more someone pointing out the lie that is the “Canada’s Team” narrative. It is kind of insulting to think that every Canadian is that hive- minded. But yeah it is just a bitter Canuck fan lol…..

Reactions: stampedingviking

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Ever mentions Canadians who are hockey fans in general, just says Canadians all through the article.

Twenty-four per cent of Canadians surveyed say they won't follow the best-of-seven series "very closely."
Sounds about right. If we assume 1 out of every 2 Canadians are sports fans (which seems about right), then we factor in people who like sports but not hockey, then 48% is really high.

Magic 8 Ball

Sep 27, 2021
The Netherworld
How much of that 42% are watching the game, as opposed to "paying attention" to it...ie checking the scores or watching the highlights?

I'm guessing maybe 10% are watching the game, or parts of it. The other 32% watch highlights, or listen to sports radio, or come on sites like this solely to antagonize people who don't like opposing viewpoints.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
How much of that 42% are watching the game, as opposed to "paying attention" to it...ie checking the scores or watching the highlights?

I'm guessing maybe 10% are watching the game, or parts of it. The other 32% watch highlights, or listen to sports radio, or come on sites like this solely to antagonize people who don't like opposing viewpoints.
Just read the link, if you want your answer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad