TSN: 58% of Canadians are not watching/paying attention to the Stanley Cup Finals.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
I honestly think it would be different if Toronto or Montreal were in the finals - these teams have much larger and quite possibly more passionate fan bases.
Also, larger "hater" base to cultivate interest and buzz.

Reactions: Cams

johnnybbadd

Mar 29, 2011
I can say the same thing about Winnipeg. Hell even in my close friend group of 6ish guys, (3 of which played hockey at a reasonably high level until their early 20's), only 1 or 2 are even kind of following the playoffs. Most lost interest as soon as the Jets were out. And these are people who I consider to be "hockey guys," that's ignoring all the casuals who only pretend to care about the Jets when it's the trendy thing to do

Hey. Not saying it is a bad thing. Casual fans are still good for the game and people have other things to be invested in. We are just stating the reality of the situation which is that there are fewer people investing less time and effort into hockey than most people think there is.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
The only time all of Canada was on board for a Canadian team in the finals was 2004 with the Flames because it had been 11 years since Canadian team won the cup. It was kinda there for 2006 as well though not as much. By 2007 with the Sens, the novelty had really worn off.

Cheering just for a Canadian team has hardly ever been a thing for Canadians and been about as common as typical bandwagon jumping for American teams for casual fans.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
The NHL waiting six days to start the finals - for no reason whatsoever - probably didn't help their cause.

That, and as mentioned, a lot of Canadians are probably sick of the bullshit "Canada's team" blabbering that our networks are trying to force-feed us every day. :shakehead
There was a reason, I believe McDavid was injured and they were trying to heal him in the mean time to rig it to try and hand Canada a cup.

Reactions: WarriorOfGandhi

POVERTY

Leafs and Marchand fan
Sep 27, 2017
They took a week off between conf. finals and finals which was enough time for me to realize that it's June and there are better things to do right now than watch a greatest hits of Bet365/BetMGM/ScoreBet/FanDuel/Bet99 commercials sometimes interrupted by hockey or old men talking about hockey.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
a team with castoffs Perry and Kane turns off lots of die hard casuals, on the flipside, Tkachuk and Cousins are not exactly endearing either.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
The only time all of Canada was on board for a Canadian team in the finals was 2004 with the Flames because it had been 11 years since Canadian team won the cup. It was kinda there for 2006 as well though not as much. By 2007 with the Sens, the novelty had really worn off.

Cheering just for a Canadian team has hardly ever been a thing for Canadians and been about as common as typical bandwagon jumping for American teams for casual fans.
lol no

Reactions: Kimota

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
Hockey is the number one sport in Finland too and if we got 42% of us watching or even following the Liiga finals that would be insane.

This just seems like a bitter Canuck fan post grasping on straws.
As a Canucks fan as my #1, how dare you suggest anybody from our fan base as bitter and grasping at straws!

We would never!

:sarcasm:

At least we were better than we were in 2011. That was peak snobbery from our fan base. We are about 5% better. Not much, but baby steps I suppose.

Reactions: Shocker

Bond

May 10, 2012
lol is 100% of Canada supposed to be watching because a Canadian team is in it?

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I usually stop watching after my beloved Leafs are eliminated but this year I've been enjoying the hockey more than usual. The thread title should probably be changed to "58% of Canadians are watching cricket and soccer" because that's likely the real reason given our shifting demographics.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
By the time that both of my kids tryouts have finished, beer league has wrapped up and the Leafs have been eliminated (not in chronological order obviously), I have other interests. I still watch the odd game/period, but I’m too busy doing other stuff like posting here, listening to hockey podcasts and shooting pucks in the driveway with the boy.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
So much for Edmonton being " Canada's team", I guess the Boston Pizza commercials didnt work

Another misleading title lol,
No ideas why you added the not watching at all part, did you read article lol. Suggest you read it first.

Remove the part not watching at all, then it’s accurate.

The number not watching at all is 35%
So 65% will at least follow in some degree.

Here is what it says about 58%
found that 58 per cent of Canadians are not paying close attention to the NHL final
(Where is the not at all part?)

Even going with the misleading thread title numbers, that’s a strong number watching and checking in.
Great numbers for Canada thanks for posting, even though misleading title.

Reactions: K1984

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
The article title lacks context and doesn't say much. First, look at the actual Leger poll results (based on 1,528 Canadians polled between Friday and Sunday):

- 35% of Canadians said they won't be following at all.
- 24% said they won't be following very closely.
- 22% will be following somewhat closely.
- 19% will be following very closely.
- 50% of Men said they'll follow, versus 34% of women.

Note this isn't a poll targeted to hockey fans only. Presumably, it's a random cross-section of Canadians, many of whom may not ever watch hockey. Also note the poll says only 35% will not watch at all, meaning 65% of Canada will watch anywhere from "Not closely" to "Very closely".

Also note there's no comparison with similar polls from previous years. Are these numbers up or down from other polls of random Canadians? No way to tell.
Ya OP
@UrbanImpact screwed up the thread title.

It appears OP didn’t even read the article, just what the headline writer wrote.
Otherwise I assume or I would hope, the OP wouldn’t have posted an inaccurate thread title..

Even though, those are great numbers watching, it’s even more impressive if actually read it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad