TSN: 58% of Canadians are not watching/paying attention to the Stanley Cup Finals.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
So much for Edmonton being " Canada's team", I guess the Boston Pizza commercials didnt work

I gotta do some math here............

So does that mean that 42% of Canadians are paying attention to the SCF?

Because thhat is a huge number, and that number is not real either.

No way that many people in Canada give a shit. 10% would be amazing.

zoA

Mar 23, 2010
7.1m viewers across NA for game 1 and we have people in here thinking there were 16m from Canada, haha.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
42% of us paying attention is huge, absolutely a cultural event. Not the Summit Series or 2002/2010 Olympics maybe, but I'd think the NHL is thrilled with that kind of engagement.

I've posted on these forums many times that hockey is dying in Canada, this is great news and shows that there's still lots of hope for us if the NHL stops taking us for granted. My wife has asked me about the series a couple of times, when I don't think she's even known when the cup finals were in all the previous years I've known her.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
7.1m viewers across NA for game 1 and we have people in here thinking there were 16m from Canada, haha.
Not watching 16 million.
Suggest reading the article lol.

All this thread has shown me is that we should add a "Intro to Statistics" class to graduate High School and get a diploma to go along with a bunch of other ones.
No what it suggests is people actually read the article.

Nogatco Rd

Music Has The Right To Children
Apr 3, 2021
I honestly think it would be different if Toronto or Montreal were in the finals - these teams have much larger and quite possibly more passionate fan bases.

Watching the finals isn't even of my list of possible things to do on any given game night - I'd rather watch the Blue Jays, golf, cut the grass, whatever.

So if you’re sitting at home in front of the TV anyway, you’d rather watch regular season baseball than the SC final? Sounds like you’re more of a leafs fan than a hockey fan?

Reactions: TimeZone

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
42% of us paying attention is huge, absolutely a cultural event. Not the Summit Series or 2002/2010 Olympics maybe, but I'd think the NHL is thrilled with that kind of engagement.

I've posted on these forums many times that hockey is dying in Canada, this is great news and shows that there's still lots of hope for us if the NHL stops taking us for granted. My wife has asked me about the series a couple of times, when I don't think she's even known when the cup finals were in all the previous years I've known her.
A lot of us are hate-watching though. For every local media pundit that is hanging onto McDrai's every movement there are many of us cheering every Florida goal. McDavid and Draisatl losing makes for drama, and drama is great for sports/theatre, etc. :)

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
So if you’re sitting at home in front of the TV anyway, you’d rather watch regular season baseball than the SC final? Sounds like you’re more of a leafs fan than a hockey fan?
Would rather cut the grass after 8:10pm EST
and agree not a hockey fan, just a leaf fan.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Honestly this is what happens when you have too many teams like the Panthers that no one cares about. Great team, players love it there but who the f*** cares.

In my experience over the decades with friends from up north, Canada is a community that feels there are bigger issues and concerns than sports.

This kind of proves it.
How does that work...

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Many of those Canadians are also just watching purely to watch hockey because it’s something we do in Canada. Viewership would likely be higher with a bigger Canadian market

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
42% watching/paying attention to hockey during what's in many places the first two weeks of a 3 months and a half summer is an incredibly high number.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Really curious how they came up with this stat. Also it’s Edmonton. Who gaf if they win or lose lol

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
This isn't new, I don't why people are acting like it's a new thing. The Canada's team bullshit happens every time a Canadian team makes a final. I don't remember it as strong with Montreal though and I think thats a covid thing, but when the flames made it in 04 we got that Canada's team thing shoved down our throats by CBC, red mile this, red mile that. Same with the Oilers, Ottawa and Vancouver.

That completely conflicts with my recollection of 2011. The rest of Canada were pretty open about their dislike of the Canucks that year. Except Montreal... but that was more of an anti-Bruins stance than a pro-Canucks one.

Anyways. I haven't watched a single game since the Canucks got eliminated. I pay attention to the final results only because I want Edmonton to lose. So far, so good.

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
So much for Edmonton being " Canada's team", I guess the Boston Pizza commercials didnt work

This thread is not the burn you thought it was. 42% is actually a pretty big number in this case.

Reactions: Video Nasty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad