Trouba proves he’s the biggest joke in the league

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
He’s essentially trying to say he shouldn’t be criticized or his leadership questioned (which happens to EVERY captain in the NHL, even Crosby) because other athletes have killed themselves which implies he is having the same struggles.

He is a public figure due to his profession. With that comes criticism, both valid and over the top. If his mental health is suffering that bad then he needs to do what is best for him which could mean finding something else out of the spotlight or taking time off in the player assistance program.

Trying to guilt people into not doing their job (this isn’t like the Laine situation where some podcasters were outright mocking his mental health situation) by implying you might kill yourself just seems so…not good.

Back when Cooke was terrorizing the league his wife and another family member were going through some pretty major health issues that I’m sure had a large impact on his mental health. Should he have been immune to criticism as well?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Yea and I’ve also worked with narcissists and sociopaths in the child care system who do this. Your invalidation of criticism just feeds that. Narcissist live for undue sympathy.
I'm quite familiar with that phenomenon as well (my sister's ex-husband being a massive contributor, for example). You are presuming that that's what is going on with Trouba, however, when in fact there is no way you have sufficient data to determine that.

What you're talking about isn't impossible, but it is unconscionably reckless to presume it upfront.

Reactions: SoupNazi

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Yeah wow that's bad. Completely minimizing the complexity of suicide

Agreed.

To use a person's suicide as something to refute criticism on Twitter is pretty gross.

People sure could be a lot less nasty on social media in general, but this is not the way to go about making that point.

Reactions: HBK27 and Voight

Love

Feb 29, 2012
So Trouba inflicts more brain damage that any athlete on planet earth, then hides behind the claim that he cares so deeply about mental health when he’s criticized on a podcast. He’s an absolute clown and his response to the podcaster validated every one of his criticisms.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Agreed.

To use a person's suicide as something to refute criticism on Twitter is pretty gross.

People sure could be a lot less nasty on social media in general, but this is not the way to go about making that point.
I tried to find the clip to share it but couldn't, recently watched an episode of Vice Principals where Walton Goggins is getting roasted by his wife and MIL and says "well I bet you two would be real sorry if I just killed myself huh?" Maybe if that wasn't so fresh in my mind I would have the time of day for this but my god does it ever wreak of that

• Haha
Reactions: Stringer Bell

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
This thread its title and some of the people posting in here quite frankly disgusts me. Just because you dislike the player, justified or unjustified, does not make it ok to use him talking about a serious issue such as mental health and suicide as something unserious or a copout. As a Ranger fan Im not exactly happy with his play or even responding to these idiots but that doesn’t take away from the person he is and what he does off the Ice. To the morons saying he’s saying this cause of his play, get a grip, at the end Pasha made it about his wife and his work outside of hockey which is clearly his issue. A lot of you people need to go touch grass and shame on the mods for allowing this thread to become what it has.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Absence of approval and extreme uncharitable disapproval, in most normal people, are not the same thing.
I think the general point of those "against" Trouba is that he's the last person who should be talking about people should be more conscious of another person's health, whether it be mental health or physical health, considering how he plays.

Trouba's using athlete suicide to clap back at criticisms of him is akin to a schoolyard bully who makes other kids' lives living hell every day responding to criticisms of his behavior with, "guys we should be nicer to one another because teenage suicide rates are sky high".

Reactions: NorthStar4Canes

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
This is exactly what I'm talking about when I'm saying y'all are assuming he's lying. Some of y'all are seeing that and thinking that since he's already an evil bastard to be hated that this is clearly more evil bastardry. Some of the rest of us see that and see a big honking red flag that something more serious is going on.
What a joke. Athletes are allowed to be criticized publicly. It absolutely is a part of the job. If he can't handle that, if a f***ing Spittin' Chiclets video is going to make him suicidal, then he should get out of the league as he's not mentally strong enough to handle this. He's getting paid $8m a year to put on hockey skates and chase the puck around like a goon.

Your white-knighting is utterly pointless and a total waste of time in this thread

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Isn’t that clown from Spittin Chicklets Pinkus or what ever the hell his name is still licking his wounds from quadrupling down that JT Miller is the worst player in the NHL?

• Haha
Reactions: JKG33 and Voight

lakeshirts37

Jun 25, 2019
It’s unbelievable that you guys in here don’t understand what he is saying. He’s advocating for the mental health of athletes during a period of time where they seem to be affected more than ever.

He’s saying athletes are real people and that this moron went over the line talking about his wife and charity. And that if this was another athlete who maybe wasn’t as mentally stable as Trouba then that could have severe consequences for their health.

*Yes he should have added the bolded for context but holy shit some of you need to get your head checked.

SoupNazi

Gee Wally/SoupNazi 2024
Feb 6, 2010
What a joke. Athletes are allowed to be criticized publicly. It absolutely is a part of the job. If he can't handle that, if a f***ing Spittin' Chiclets video is going to make him suicidal, then he should get out of the league as he's not mentally strong enough to handle this. He's getting paid $8m a year to put on hockey skates and chase the puck around like a goon.

Your white-knighting is utterly pointless and a total waste of time in this thread
So what you're saying is that no one who suffers from depression should be allowed to play. That's a take, but I got it.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
He’s essentially trying to say he shouldn’t be criticized or his leadership questioned (which happens to EVERY captain in the NHL, even Crosby) because other athletes have killed themselves which implies he is having the same struggles.

He is a public figure due to his profession. With that comes criticism, both valid and over the top. If his mental health is suffering that bad then he needs to do what is best for him which could mean finding something else out of the spotlight or taking time off in the player assistance program.

Trying to guilt people into not doing their job (this isn’t like the Laine situation where some podcasters were outright mocking his mental health situation) by implying you might kill yourself just seems so…not good.

Back when Cooke was terrorizing the league his wife and another family member were going through some pretty major health issues that I’m sure had a large impact on his mental health. Should he have been immune to criticism as well?
What do you want trouba to do challenge pasha to a fight? Lol.

Pasha is a total loser and ive ALWAYS been a fan of do not type something or say something on a mic that you wouldnt say to someones face one on one with no one else around. Aka, youd have the ability to get beaten to a pulp if you talk crazy.

The internet has made people way too comfortable talking ish and facing no consequences. Call me old school.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Good: Trouba advocating for mental health.

Bad: Trouba making mental health all about him, by framing himself as The Victim and everyone else at fault*.

*If Trouba suffers from mental health issues, this is a poor way to show it. Get help. Blaming fans is not a step towards healing. If he doesn't suffer from these issues, then his post is self-absorbed and wildly insensitive to real victims.
These aren't fans. It's a podcast filled with children and it's about time somebody called them out.

Every player on the podcast was a dirty player. Colby Armstrong sits there and laughs. My guy, you have forearmed people in the head before.

Trouba's play is worthy of criticism but it's soft as hell when dirty players go to the media to soapbox about dirty players.

I don't think Trouba is necessarily depressed. I think he's saying the media needs to be better and he's correct.

At the same time, are some of his hits harming athletes? Absolutely, and I'd like to see those hits taken out of the game. It's a bit more difficult, in a contact sport, to police every hit. Meanwhile, there's no reason for these neckbeards to be putting out content like this other than for other neckbeards to consume it.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
It’s unbelievable that you guys in here don’t understand what he is saying. He’s advocating for the mental health of athletes during a period of time where they seem to be affected more than ever.

He’s saying athletes are real people and that this moron went over the line talking about his wife and charity. And that if this was another athlete who maybe wasn’t as mentally stable as Trouba then that could have severe consequences for their health.

*Yes he should have added the bolded for context but holy shit some of you need to get your head checked.
And he's doing so by implying that the reason they took their own life is the media criticism, not the serious, complex mental health issues that preceded. That to me is just dangerous and disingenuous

Pascha should not have mentioned Trouba's wife, he did so to point out the irony and didn't come at her personally but I can see how hearing "his wife" in the middle of criticism would make someone see red. I don't think there's any issue with his critique otherwise

Last edited:

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
Idk what's Trouba's previous twitter presence was but this shows me he needs to just hire a firm to do it and not be on there. Honestly idk why any athlete with any level of fame would do his own social media. You'd get picked apart with the arrows people just send you. Even if they are mostly good you'll find that one or two bad ones.

SoupNazi

Gee Wally/SoupNazi 2024
Feb 6, 2010
The internet has made people way too comfortable talking ish and facing no consequences. Call me old school.
It's also made everyone with a smartphone a podcaster, which is also an issue. Too many people now have platforms to spew nonsense and get by with it.

I'd be really interested in seeing the correlation between time online and depression. I'm sure it's pretty strong.

Fledgemyhedge

Apr 24, 2014
bob
These aren't fans. It's a podcast filled with children and it's about time somebody called them out.

Every player on the podcast was a dirty player. Colby Armstrong sits there and laughs. My guy, you have forearmed people in the head before.

Trouba's play is worthy of criticism but it's soft as hell when dirty players go to the media to soapbox about dirty players.

I don't think Trouba is necessarily depressed. I think he's saying the media needs to be better and he's correct.

At the same time, are some of his hits harming athletes? Absolutely, and I'd like to see those hits taken out of the game. It's a bit more difficult, in a contact sport, to police every hit. Meanwhile, there's no reason for these neckbeards to be putting out content like this other than for other neckbeards to consume it.
Nah posting that if he’s not depressed is f***ing crazy to me. You don’t do that, sets a horrible precedent and very slippery slope if we accept that

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Many people have said it already, but it would be a lot easier to support his message there weren't NHL players that have died early, either via suicide or not, as a result or repeated head injuries. Trouba of course being the biggest risk of anyone suffering a head injury whenever he's on the ice.

Reactions: SannywithoutCompy

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
So what you're saying is that no one who suffers from depression should be allowed to play. That's a take, but I got it.
I said if a video from a podcast criticizing you makes you want to commit suicide then you're probably not mentally strong enough to handle being a pro athlete. The video wasn't some super out of line content. The guy (whoever the hell he is) was making fair criticisms against Trouba, things that are said on HF Boards, on the Rangers boards as well, FREQUENTLY.

Player's aren't above criticism within reason. I don't think the SC video was unreasonable.

Reactions: WillTheThrill

lakeshirts37

Jun 25, 2019
And he's doing so by implying that the reason they took their own life is the media criticism, not the serious, complex mental health issues that presided. That to me is just dangerous and disingenuous

Pascha should not have mentioned Trouba's wife, he did so to point out the irony and didn't come at her personally but I can see how hearing "his wife" in the middle of criticism would make someone see red. I don't think there's any issue with his critique otherwise
Agreed - should have phrased it better. I think your spot on about seeing red

Reactions: Jared Dunn

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
You're going to have to catch me up on that story - I know who she is, but not sure what stuff you're talking about.
Star tennis player who has anxiety and depression issues and wouldn't talk to the media due to that.

I don't want to derail, but I do feel like the general sentiment at that point from a lot of folks defending Trouba here was likely "it's part of the job".

EDIT: But just to your point about depression - if he is genuinely depressed and can't handle the online criticism, he quite literally makes more than enough money to shield himself from it with a social media manager, I know some will slip through but the critique is part of the job ESPECIALLY if you're going to play like Trouba does frankly

WillTheThrill

Mar 2, 2016
Another day, another NHL player proving he can't handle any sort of criticism. These guys are happy to collect millions of dollars but the second fans/media become vocal about their play they crawl into their shells and act like victims.

These guys think NHL fans/media are tough, they wouldn't last a second in the NBA/EPL.

Reactions: NorthStar4Canes

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Shitty, no name film-maker brings his wife and charity and her job into things...i think you have the wrong person as the joke here. Hockey is a physical game.

Also im sure this is a very unbiased take
Q5XLTN4.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad