Value of: Trouba likely to ask for the moon on a new deal

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Let's do the time line. Trouba first RFA contract is up summer 2018. He is still an RFA and with all the restrictions and compensation that RFAs have. One difference this time is he eligible for arbitration.

So it makes so little difference, what Trouba wants. Why is it so many people on these hockey sites are such poor negotiators? They don't seem to know what public negotiations (see Draisaitl) really are.

Let's time to last summer. Trouba was waiting for offer sheet. What did settle for 2.8m a year for two years. Not the 5m so many folks on social media were knowing he was going to get.

In conclusion, let's learn the CBA, before we go willy nilly about Trouba's on any other players contract.
Knowing the CBA is more important than reading a leaked agent statement or what talking heads say for ratings .

That is a very big difference. In fact we can start to see how clearly he wants out this time. Not excuses about whatever else, if he opts for arbitration without even really coming to the negotiating table the writing is on the wall in a massive way.

He gets more power with that hanging there. Especially if he has a huge year, he can walk in and throw up a big number of the top 10 D-man are making and opt for the deal that takes him closest to UFA status. Starting next off-season he can start turning the screws too, something he really didn't have the last time which applied perfectly to the argument you made above, on the next contract that isn't really entirely the picture.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Winnipeg will pay up. they always have. but they will not give him the moon like it has been written about. 29 gets the moon if he wants everyone else gets fair value. if he and his agent don't like that then they can file for arbitration.

He goes to arbitration and gets one step closer to UFA. Seems like UFA is his target.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
No, It would be more or less as a UFA like Shattenkirk, If Trouba's heart is coming home to play for his hometown Wings and i'm not saying it is. Then we will just sign him for free in 3 years i can definitely see him getting at least 7 years $49 million in Detroit and he will be definitely worth it.

I think we are looking at 8 million plus to make it happen. Would love for that time to come, Trouba would hit UFA right around the time all that money comes off the books in Detroit as well.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I've never been that sold on Trouba. Asking for the moon seems a bit silly, unless they mean 7 million as the moon.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I think we are looking at 8 million plus to make it happen. Would love for that time to come, Trouba would hit UFA right around the time all that money comes off the books in Detroit as well.

I agree probably looking at 7 years $56 million honestly, And by the time Trouba becomes a UFA we will more then likely have Nyquist, Kronwall, Ericsson, Daley and others off the books i think we could afford him.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Lanky and others

Yes, I think UFA in the minimum amount of years of age and years in the NHL is Trouba's goals.
When he went the "bridge" route, it sorta confirmed in my mind (unless he is traded).

Who knows, maybe Draisaitl might go the same route. The only downside to a player is 1. Their performance declines, 2. Injury.

MoreMorrissey

Apr 27, 2017
Winningpeg
RNH and Poolparty isn't too far off value wise but obviously makes no sense for the jets. Although a top 9 of
Ehlers - Scheifele - Laine
Perreault - Little - Wheeler
Connor - RNH - Poolparty

would be absolutely insane

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Lol yeah considering that Trouba doesn't want to play in Canada other then getting stuck in Winnipeg, Why? Would Edmonton send Klefbom to Winnipeg for only 3 years of Trouba that's not happening unless it was like a sign and trade kind of deal and i don't see Trouba committing long term with Edmonton.

We'll as you've been pretty objectively wrong on about 100% of your posts and predictions about Trouba I'll take 'you not seeing' something as a good sign it'll probably happen

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
How does that address Jets biggest need?

Ehlers- Scheifele- Laine
Connor- Little Wheeler
top6, neither RNH or Pulju have a spot on that and they just drafted another Finnish winger Vesalainen.

If Jets trade Trouba they need defense, one way or another. Then another issue is the cap.

The trades wouldn't stop there if I was Chevy. I honestly can't figure out what Winnipegs problems are as that team should be waaaaaaaay better than they have been over the last couple of seasons and if they s*** the bed again this year then I think Chevy will have no choice but to pull off a mini retool.

Something not right on that team and I'm hoping Chevy can figure it out sooner rather than later.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
RNH and Poolparty isn't too far off value wise but obviously makes no sense for the jets. Although a top 9 of
Connor - RNH - Poolparty

Insane because the puck would never leave the Jets' end.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Connor - RNH - Poolparty

Yes it would be. That's some sick center depth and death by wing!

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Lol, Oilers make the playoffs once and all of a sudden there fans think the players are worth twice there weight in gold apparently.

Klefbom better than Trouba? RNH+Poolparty an overpayment for Trouba? That's laughably awful.

Jets would never move Trouba for RNH + Poolparty.

Coming from a fan base that think Duchene is worth a top pairing D I would say you are in no position to be casting the first stone . :shakehead

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The trades wouldn't stop there if I was Chevy. I honestly can't figure out what Winnipegs problems are as that team should be waaaaaaaay better than they have been over the last couple of seasons and if they s*** the bed again this year then I think Chevy will have no choice but to pull off a mini retool.

Something not right on that team and I'm hoping Chevy can figure it out sooner rather than later.

Defensive game/defense, special teams, among leaders in pk time and can't kill penalties and garbage goaltending.

Let's say Chevy makes the RNH+Pulju for Trouba trade, Trouba is the Jets best D-man and now they have a massive issue on the blueline.
How will they make that better?

Neither RNH or Pulju have value to bring back Trouba level D-man on a different trade, Little who RNH would try to replace doesn't have even close to Trouba value.
Neither Laine or Scheifele are going anywhere, I highly doubt Ehlers is on the move.

If they trade Trouba they have to be certain they can get similar level D-man back, in a straight up trade or an asset that can bring that back in another trade. But then there's again the question who wants to trade a u25 #1D-man unless he's screaming out?

They can't spent all their cap on F either, Laine has 2 more years left on his ELC, that's when it's going to get expensive in Winnipeg. They need to be carefull with their cap. Enstrom has 1 year left and Myers 2, neither are anywhere close to Trouba and cap needs to be spent on defense.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Apparently Morgan Rielly doesn't exist.

He exists, he just isn't a better hockey player than Jacob Trouba in my opinion so I agree with that poster.

I think at this point Trouba is the best D-man out of his draft class. Without having the Center Ice package though I am not sure I would have that opinion, but Trouba is one of the most impressive guys in the league night in and night out last season whenever I turned on the Jets. He is really really good. Winnipeg for whatever reason cannot get all their talent going in the same direction but to me Trouba was excellent and consistently excellent which is usually the biggest sign for where things are heading. That he was always one of if not the best player that night when I tuned in I think is one of his strongest arguments that is what a lot of young talented players struggle with. The guy you just named for instance has big problems in that department in my opinion.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
We'll as you've been pretty objectively wrong on about 100% of your posts and predictions about Trouba I'll take 'you not seeing' something as a good sign it'll probably happen

[MOD] I called Shattenkirk to the Rags by a country mile. Ask where have i been wrong on 100% of my post on Trouba name one any thing that i mentioned came from Darren Dreger himself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
This X100, second PC has put his team into cap issues. He still needs to sign Drai and if I am him or his agent I want 10 per. This notion that he would accept a 8x8 is crazy, if I am every other GM in the league I offer sheet him between 9-10.

Trouba will likely get 7-8 depending on if its an 7 or 8 year deal. If the jets don't want to pay that some team will, question is who has the assets to provide chevy with decent return. I'd love him on the leafs but realistically don't believe we have the assets unless its a sever overpayment. I would be okay with extra draft picks but would not trade any of the Big 3, likely it would have to centre around Liljegren. That would be a tuff pill to swallow up given that Trouba is ready/is a top pairing D its something I would be willing to part with.

Wow, you quote pierces alternative facts on value to agree with him and then offer less than the Oiler offer?

For some Reason you late first pick up liljegren is worth enough to get Trouba?

The fact is the oiler offer of RNH and Puljujarvi is to much for Trouba, unless you know he will sign with the oilers long term. Jets fans seem to think he will stay with them long term, but there is enough evidence to the contrary to hurt his trade value

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I've never been that sold on Trouba. Asking for the moon seems a bit silly, unless they mean 7 million as the moon.

Pretty sure there would be some teams out there offering Trouba, Between $7.5 million and $8 million per i think Trouba gets at least Ryan Suter money and that's slightly over $7.5 million per.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad