OT - NO POLITICS Trick or Treat, Foliage, and possibly Snow Oh NO!!!!!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
B.C. is going to be a mess for awhile.
Definitely not going to help the 'supply chain' issues as we're the third busiest port in North America but landslides, bridge collapses and flooding have essentially cut us off from everywhere. None of our highways are open. Four different towns/ small cities are now lakes. Highway #1 is underwater for a few kliks. No trains in and out of the port of Vancouver either.

It's been raining out here for months (way more than usual) and everything was so saturated that places couldn't handle a 2nd monsoon dropping 5"-10" of rain in a day. (tornado last week)

Vancouver proper is fine.

Reactions: BMC

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Definitely not going to help the 'supply chain' issues as we're the third busiest port in North America but landslides, bridge collapses and flooding have essentially cut us off from everywhere. None of our highways are open. Four different towns/ small cities are now lakes. Highway #1 is underwater for a few kliks. No trains in and out of the port of Vancouver either.

It's been raining out here for months (way more than usual) and everything was so saturated that places couldn't handle a 2nd monsoon dropping 5"-10" of rain in a day. (tornado last week)

Stay safe! I hope the rain ends soon

Troublesome 85

TOP RANKED
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
disgusting display from my fellow Islanders here as supply chain concerns hit us with the massive storm we had a few days ago. One lady in the line next to me with 8-10 24 packs of toilet paper for just her and her roommate which I know as she the woman behind her was furious with her. Thankfully, the cashier was an oldtimer whose done this before, she literally took 5 of the packages out of her cart and put them behind her cash register

Gas lineups crazy, I dunno, the wife and I had so many weather events in Halifax that we know what to do, filled up a few days ago, got what we NEEDED so others who need more have a chance

why we have limits at costco.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Stay safe! I hope the rain ends soon

Thanks. Van is fine, I'm fine, just been very wet - it's built for heavy rains. The damage to the infrastructure and places to the east, starting not that far away of us is pretty substantial though. There's one town, Merrit, of about 7000 people that is underwater. A few other towns also.

I'm wondering what they'll do with shipping and transport though. The port was already incredibly backed-up here, like everywhere, and now ... ? It could be a mess. If people thought shelves were sparse already. It's going to get uglier. That includes big chunks of the U.S. They estimate that it could be the costliest disaster in Canadian history (financial wise).

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Thanks. Van is fine, I'm fine, just been very wet - it's built for heavy rains. The damage to the infrastructure and places to the east, starting not that far away of us is pretty substantial though. There's one town, Merrit, of about 7000 people that is underwater. A few other towns also.

I'm wondering what they'll do with shipping and transport though. The port was already incredibly backed-up here, like everywhere, and now ... ? It could be a mess. If people thought shelves were sparse already. It's going to get uglier. That includes big chunks of the U.S. They estimate that it could be the costliest disaster in Canadian history (financial wise).

it goes beyond ports. Covid accelerated an issue thats been projected for close to 20 years.
A dramatic drop in long haul truckers.
Ive been in logistics for decades. Its been a huge issue getting worse each and every year. Nobody grows up saying I want to be a truck driver. Yet it is the backbone of the supply chain. All supply chains.
Many of the drivers were Vietnam era vets. Now dead or retired. The military typically has been the labor pool after discharge. That has shrunk. People a lot smarter than me have been trying to figure out how to fix it. I dont know where bottom is. Maybe now. Maybe a bit further.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I lost it today. The universe broke me. Temporarily. This week, this life really, finally caught up to me and I exploded at the self checkouts of stop n shop. I can’t even say I’m embarrassed, cuz f*** it I’m a broken man and I’m struggling to even breathe. It was very out of character for me. The only thing i didn’t like was that i did it in front of my mother. Needless to say i won’t be visiting stop n shop any time soon.

and the day got strange from there. I noticed a friend of my brother posting very alarming things online. I’ve never met or heard of this man. He sends me a message as I’m meeting my kids (whom i haven’t seen in several days now) “call me. SOONER RATHER THAN LATER.” My girlfriend sees it on my face and tells me to step outside and make the call. Long story less long, he knew my brother from backpacking the Midwest years ago. He was HEAVILY intoxicated. I stayed calm and then finally asked if he was safe. He says he’s safe but has had x amount to drink, and he can hear my brother in my voice and that it sounds like he would want him to put the bottle down. I say then f***ing listen and put it down!

i promised i would call him in the morning if he promised to put the whiskey away. The last thing he said to me was “thanks for calling. I think you just saved my life.”

this was 6 hours ago. Im still shaken up. What a f***ing week this is. OH, ran into the man who stopped to assist police at the scene right before my breakdown at the grocery store too.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
it goes beyond ports. Covid accelerated an issue thats been projected for close to 20 years.
Ive been in logistics for decades. Its been a huge issue getting worse each and every year. Nobody grows up saying I want to be a truck driver. Yet it is the backbone of the supply chain. All supply chains.
Many of the drivers were Vietnam era vets. Now dead or retired. The military typically has been the labor pool after discharge. That has shrunk. People a lot smarter than me have been trying to figure out how to fix it. I dont know where bottom is. Maybe now. Maybe a bit further.
Also, California passed a bill with the aim of helping Uber drivers by requiring them to have benefits of a certain level, but because it covers all 1099 transportation workers, that also covers truckers who own and operate their own rig and do gig work, so a good amount of independent truckers can't take work in the state of California anymore unless they demonstrate a level of insurance coverage that would make the jobs not even worth it. And that's a major reason why Long Beach is so clogged up. No one's there to take the goods out of the port.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005

Very much in agreement and a salient point. It'll get worse for awhile as the amount of time to train a driver - and how do you attract some 20 year-old kid to become a long haul driver nowadays? They'll 'smart car' the industry eventually. These aren't great jobs. And if you're doing a crap job anyways in a lot of places you can get a construction job or something that will pay you better and be less stress on your life. -

I worked on a project outside of a meat packing plant years ago and it looked like hell. How do you get people to do that? Look at the nearest construction site and you'll see some 65 year-old South Asian (East Indian) grandfather stuck there in the dead of winter from 6pm-6am. That sucks.
People too often think there's this limitless amount of 'grunts' that'll 'suck it up' to make our lives more convenient.
I recently blew up my career (for awhile as I figure something out) so went back to being an idiot worker- I make good money, pick my hours, and it's still ridiculous.

In the logistics framework - the one I'm always surprised with is when I see anyone working in stores in downtowns whether in retail a fast-food place or convenience store or pub. They aren't making much money - and definitely not enough to live nearby so they're commuting. In this neck of the woods it's a pretty vibrant economy but expensive as hell and I don't get how they will manage to get people to cross the city for $20 an hour. That's untenable nowadays.

Reactions: Gee Wally

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005

p.s.
you would've thought Smokey And The Bandit and Any Which Way But Loose would've attracted a few more of us into that path.

Reactions: Gee Wally

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I hate to tell you, but it’s not the trucker shortage. That’s a myth put out there by certain groups. Companies trying to push autonomous trucks. The problem lies in the logistics of the ports. Truckers are constantly waiting for boxes to pick up. These ports are locally run by the local governing bodies. They are not federally run. Watch 60 Minutes in this very subject. Very good piece. There is a lot of stories out there that go against the trucker shortage. People with agendas much like companies getting back what they lost by gouging now.

Reactions: Don Cherry

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
I lost it today. The universe broke me. Temporarily. This week, this life really, finally caught up to me and I exploded at the self checkouts of stop n shop. I can’t even say I’m embarrassed, cuz f*** it I’m a broken man and I’m struggling to even breathe. It was very out of character for me. The only thing i didn’t like was that i did it in front of my mother. Needless to say i won’t be visiting stop n shop any time soon.

and the day got strange from there. I noticed a friend of my brother posting very alarming things online. I’ve never met or heard of this man. He sends me a message as I’m meeting my kids (whom i haven’t seen in several days now) “call me. SOONER RATHER THAN LATER.” My girlfriend sees it on my face and tells me to step outside and make the call. Long story less long, he knew my brother from backpacking the Midwest years ago. He was HEAVILY intoxicated. I stayed calm and then finally asked if he was safe. He says he’s safe but has had x amount to drink, and he can hear my brother in my voice and that it sounds like he would want him to put the bottle down. I say then f***ing listen and put it down!

i promised i would call him in the morning if he promised to put the whiskey away. The last thing he said to me was “thanks for calling. I think you just saved my life.”

this was 6 hours ago. Im still shaken up. What a f***ing week this is. OH, ran into the man who stopped to assist police at the scene right before my breakdown at the grocery store too.
Too much to bear. We are all pulling for you Chuck.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

Take care

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Chuck, my friend, I cant say this strong enough. You have NOTHING to be embarrassed about.

Grieve. It is natural. It is necessary. It is a deep expression of love.

Again our hearts go out to you.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I hate to tell you, but it’s not the trucker shortage. That’s a myth put out there by certain groups. Companies trying to push autonomous trucks. The problem lies in the logistics of the ports. Truckers are constantly waiting for boxes to pick up. These ports are locally run by the local governing bodies. They are not federally run. Watch 60 Minutes in this very subject. Very good piece. There is a lot of stories out there that go against the trucker shortage. People with agendas much like companies getting back what they lost by gouging now.

Good to know my 30 years in that vocation was a myth.

Again, as I said, present circumstances accelerated what was known for a long time. The trucking link in the chain was depleted and now moreso.
Myth to you. Day to day fact to me and my associates.

Last edited:
Reactions: EdH

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK

Sending you a hug. We are here for you <3

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

We are here but don't be afraid to ask for help. What you have been through is too much to handle and process.

No one knows what to say at terrible times like these but we are here if you want to vent.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Great day here yesterday.Nancy had her surgery. Lymph nodes came back clean. No more cancer!

Thank God. I dont know how much more she can take.

So she has always wanted to see Christmas lights at Disneyworld for Christmas.
I booked yesterday right after surgeon called.

I’ll be gone Nov 29 thru Dec 7.

Thanksgiving has a whole new meaning for us this year.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

It's all right Chuck. Every single one of us is broken in one and/or multiple ways or another. You just don't see it unless you look closely. And sometimes we get broken more than once. Hold on to your loved ones & let them help you through this. That includes your family here at HF Bruins.

Last edited:

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Great day here yesterday.Nancy had her surgery. Lymph nodes came back clean. No more cancer!

:heart: This is excellent news !!!! You and your family were overdue for good news!!!

I am happy for you and your bride. Now you can enjoy the holidays !!

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
why we have limits at costco.
yeah here too but as you know, some will test the system but the teller at the grocery store wasn`t having any of it, I think if it was a younger cashier she wouldn`t have had the confidence to simply tell the customer she can`t have all the packs of TP

I don`t know, I think it`s wise to be or get prepared when we are in for a bit of a rough go here for the short term future as trucks carrying goods into BC simply can`t get to their destinations but it`s also imperative, IMO, to simply purchase what we need keeping in mind that their are larger families out there who could use more of the same product than I do

some pictures of the Coquihalla

B.C. floods: Province shares new Coquihalla Highway photos - Victoria Times Colonist

Pictures from the Malahat which starts about 10 minutes from my place which thankfully my wife and I don`t access often

Flooding closes Malahat, Cowichan declares state of local emergency - Victoria Times Colonist

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

f***in beautiful. I cannot wait to hear all about this trip. All my love to you and Nancy

although if there were ever a case to be made for who is the tougher of the two of you, i think she destroyed any argument you might have. You lucked out and married a superhero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad