Value of: Trevor Zegras this offseason

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Either way, a top pairing right shot d Is harder to get and generally considered for more valuable than a top line winger. Zegras is an interesting player, but if the cost has to include one of Guhle, Reinbacher or the 5th OA, Then I'm more than happy to see Montreal look elsewhere.
Honestly, I think at this point it is fair to categorize Reinbacher as a solid top 4 prospect. Top pairing is definitely not a foregone conclusion but 2nd pairing is very achievable. That's not a critique at all...a 2nd pairing RHD is still very valuable. Montreal just has to decide which they want/need more...a potential 2nd pairing D or a more or less proven top 6F.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Honestly, I think at this point it is fair to categorize Reinbacher as a solid top 4 prospect. Top pairing is definitely not a foregone conclusion but 2nd pairing is very achievable. That's not a critique at all...a 2nd pairing RHD is still very valuable. Montreal just has to decide which they want/need more...a potential 2nd pairing D or a more or less proven top 6F.
If I'm Montreal I hang on to the big rhd that I spent the 5th OA on less than a year ago and wait to see how he develops. Wingers are far easier to acquire.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
If I'm Montreal I hang on to the big rhd that I spent the 5th OA on less than a year ago and wait to see how he develops. Wingers are far easier to acquire.
That is the choice they have to make and I suspect they'll probably opt to keep what they have.

The problem for Montreal is that young offensive stars like Zegras don't come on the market very often and it appears (if the rumors are to be believed) that there are several teams interested. So they'll have to be very sure that Reinbacher is worth keeping...draft position notwithstanding. The irony is that IIRC most Montreal fans hated the pick. How things change in a year!

FYI, Zegras is probably a better C than wing but can play both.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
That is the choice they have to make and I suspect they'll probably opt to keep what they have.

The problem for Montreal is that young offensive stars like Zegras don't come on the market very often and it appears (if the rumors are to be believed) that there are several teams interested. So they'll have to be very sure that Reinbacher is worth keeping...draft position notwithstanding. The irony is that IIRC most Montreal fans hated the pick. How things change in a year!

FYI, Zegras is probably a better C than wing but can play both.
If Zegras can be a centre that’s the most valuable position, more than a top pairing D.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Yeah, the only thing that matters when comparing those 2 players is points. Well, not points this year since Wilson doubled him up, but PPG (since 15 in 31 is an orders of magnitude more impressive than 35 in 74). You got me, I was offering a carbon copy of Trevor Zegras who scores less.
Well no, but you ignored his outrageous contract and age and brought up production so I thought, sure, let’s talk production.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Which is certainly their choice,

Most reports say PV isnt actively shopping just listening, which means its going to take a good piece to pry him out of anaheim.

As a duck fan, id prefer to keep Zegras because i think he is a leader on the team, and id say our best player on most nights. Only reason were having this discussion in the first place, is that it seems like Montreal is at the very least interested in zegras, whether or not they want to pay the cost is a diff story.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
How many Reinbacher games have you seen? #1 D is definitely in the cards for Reinbacher. He will never be a Hughes or Makar, but he has the potential to be a Pietrangelo. He’s 19, NHL ready and will open a lot of eyes in the next two years.

How many more "zegras sucks, but let us have him for nothing" takes must we endure.

If you don't like him, why are you here? If your stuff is better, why are you offering it?
Where exactly have you seen this? So far I’ve seen good discussions from multiple fans and nothing really outrageous on terms of offers. Some are good, some are meh but no one is offering “nothing” as you stated

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
How many Reinbacher games have you seen? #1 D is definitely in the cards for Reinbacher. He will never be a Hughes or Makar, but he has the potential to be a Pietrangelo. He’s 19, NHL ready and will open a lot of eyes in the next two years.

Where exactly have you seen this? So far I’ve seen good discussions from multiple fans and nothing really outrageous on terms of offers. Some are good, some are meh but no one is offering “nothing” as you stated
Where have I seen this? The last 25 pages or so.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I've seen exactly zero of his NHL games. And yes, he has the potential to be a #1D but so do Levshunov, Dickinson, or Silayev. But until they are in the NHL we just won't know. I think it is pretty safe to look at him as a 2nd pairing guy but anything more than that is optimism w/o facts. In fact, stacked up against the D in the 2022 and 2024 drafts I don't think he is in the top 5-6.

Unlike others, I'm not going to criticize either player. They both should have long careers in the NHL. I do feel that from a fairness perspective, Zegras for Reinbacher is a decent deal which slightly favors Montreal simply b/c Zegras has proven he can play in the league at a high level and Reinbacher hasn't.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Which is certainly their choice,

Most reports say PV isnt actively shopping just listening, which means its going to take a good piece to pry him out of anaheim.

As a duck fan, id prefer to keep Zegras because i think he is a leader on the team, and id say our best player on most nights. Only reason were having this discussion in the first place, is that it seems like Montreal is at the very least interested in zegras, whether or not they want to pay the cost is a diff story.
It's probably pertinent to point out thst Hughes passed on talented winger prospects at the draft he to take Reinbacher. I'm sure Montreal has interest in Zegras, but that interest will have limits

TommyDangles

Jun 18, 2021
I think he'll end up being traded just like Drysdale was. He's not one of Verbeek's guys & doesn't fit the team he's trying to build.

I could see Washington trading their 17th pick for him.

Don't think any teams like MTL would trade their promising young defenders for him

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Yeah, the only thing that matters when comparing those 2 players is points. Well, not points this year since Wilson doubled him up, but PPG (since 15 in 31 is a orders of magnitude more impressive than 35 in 74). You got me, I was offering a carbon copy of Trevor Zegras who scores less.

Something else that matters is Wilson's contract as compared to Zegras. Wilson - 30 and already showing signs of decline - has 7 years left on his contract at $6.5M AAV. No thanks.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I think he'll end up being traded just like Drysdale was. He's not one of Verbeek's guys & doesn't fit the team he's trying to build.

Don't think any teams like MTL would trade their promising young defenders for him
I could see Anaheim saying no to that. Leonard would be closer to the real requirement.

Last edited:

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007

Zegras is under contract for 2 more years and then is only a RFA. Why would the ducks give him away? Its fine if Montreal (or whoever) doesn't want to give a big piece for Zegras. If that's the market, then the ducks can keep their 60 point winger coming off a bad year. They don't have to trade him for 2+ more years and there is virtually no downside in keeping him.

PV should ask for a big piece and stick to his guns. Trading Z for the 17th pick would be insane.

Either a player like Guhle or Reinbacher or the 5th pick comes back or the ducks stand Pat (see what I did there). And just to be clear, I'm not saying that Montreal should make that type of trade - totally get it if they don't want to. I'm just saying that is the type of trade the ducks need to part with Z.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA

I mean, did PV WANT to move on from Drysdale or was that just the cost of doing business?

Reactions: Yemeth

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

The 17th… you sure about that do you need us to add the 3rd overall to zegras too or something?

I don’t think his goal was trading drysdale, a guy came available that he really wanted, and drysdale happened to be the guy Philly wanted.

TommyDangles

Jun 18, 2021
The 17th… you sure about that do you need us to add the 3rd overall to zegras too or something?

I don’t think his goal was trading drysdale, a guy came available that he really wanted, and drysdale happened to be the guy Philly wanted.
17th seems about right.

Drysdale doesn't fit with what he's trying to build either. Clearly didn't value him that highly. If he thought Drysdale was a key piece, he would've never traded him for a guy that hasn't even played an NHL game yet.

Zegras is under contract for 2 more years and then is only a RFA. Why would the ducks give him away? Its fine if Montreal (or whoever) doesn't want to give a big piece for Zegras. If that's the market, then the ducks can keep their 60 point winger coming off a bad year. They don't have to trade him for 2+ more years and there is virtually no downside in keeping him.

PV should ask for a big piece and stick to his guns. Trading Z for the 17th pick would be insane.

Either a player like Guhle or Reinbacher or the 5th pick comes back or the ducks stand Pat (see what I did there). And just to be clear, I'm not saying that Montreal should make that type of trade - totally get it if they don't want to. I'm just saying that is the type of trade the ducks need to part with Z.
He doesn't fit with the team? Why would you keep a player that doesn't fit? For an extra 2nd round pick?

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
3 for 5 and 26 makes sense for the Habs but I would rather wait and see who Chicago picks at 2.

For me Demidov and Lindstrom are the two big wants from a Habs POV.

Celebrini goes first. That’s a no brainer.

Chicago picks second and I am guessing they go Levshunov. Maybe even Dickinson. Now if they pick one of the two forwards then I would make that trade to assure Montreal gets one of the two forwards they like.

If Chicago picks a defenceman then Habs will be banking on Anaheim and Columbus to not take both forwards. Last year those two teams took Carlsson and Fantilli early in the draft so odds are that one of those teams would opt for defence this time around.

That would leave one of Demidov or Lindstrom available for Montreal at 5.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
17th seems about right.

Drysdale doesn't fit with what he's trying to build either. Clearly didn't value him that highly. If he thought Drysdale was a key piece, he would've never traded him for a guy that hasn't even played an NHL game yet.

He doesn't fit with the team? Why would you keep a player that doesn't fit? For an extra 2nd round pick?
Please stop.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
you were asking where the trash offers for zegras been? well here you go.
17th seems about right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad