Player Discussion Trevor Zegras : Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I think the expectations for Zegras around the league coming in we’re just too high. Everyone thought he was going to have a Pettersson like rookie season

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
As I've said. Z cleaning up his act will make no meaningful difference. 16 years, the refs have been taking that same pound of flesh. Guess what? It's not us. It's them.
Unfortunately the refs are not going to change unless the league dictates it.

If some of the Z’s antics are off-putting to the interests of the league, and other teams, then he just makes it tougher on himself and the Ducks.

In this case “them” gets to call all the shots and they don’t really care if it’s their fault.

John

Reactions: Ducks DVM

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I think the expectations for Zegras around the league coming in we’re just too high. Everyone thought he was going to have a Pettersson like rookie season
I don't remember much of that at all.
I don't know that it was not there just a different manifestation of expectations. After the WJC win with a record breaking performance by an American and his confident comments about Canada before the game getting under half of the Canadian viewers' skins, throw in the big highlight reel flip pass, being considered a Calder frontrunner and being on the NHL23 cover, I think for many it wasn't so much "I think Zegras will be X level of player" so much as people seemed to have an internalized sense of "after all that f***ing hype he better be Y player or else he's overrated"

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't know that it was not there just a different manifestation of expectations. After the WJC win with a record breaking performance by an American and his confident comments about Canada before the game getting under half of the Canadian viewers' skins, throw in the big highlight reel flip pass, being considered a Calder frontrunner and being on the NHL23 cover, I think for many it wasn't so much "I think Zegras will be X level of player" so much as people seemed to have an internalized sense of "after all that f***ing hype he better be Y player or else he's overrated"

I‘m a little disappointed he did not hit at least 70 points. There was a point in the season thought he’d even flirt with a PPG average.

But I put more blame on the coaching and roster, than him, oh and Ryan Strome missing open nets, lol.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I‘m a little disappointed he did not hit at least 70 points. There was a point in the season thought he’d even flirt with a PPG average.

But I put more blame on the coaching and roster, than him, oh and Ryan Strome missing open nets, lol.
Yeah well hopefully the new guy opens Z's game up and guides him toward more consistency. He has the vision, smarts, and creativity to be a superstar. He just needs the right tools to get there.

Reactions: Leonardo87

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah well hopefully the new guy opens Z's game up and guides him toward more consistency. He has the vision, smarts, and creativity to be a superstar. He just needs the right tools to get there.

I was going to post the 2019 draft comparison production in that main forum thread he is 2nd next to Hughes, but said what’s the point.

60+ point seasons for a player 22 or younger are excellent especially when on a bad team. But the Ducks were not just bad, they broke records with how bad they were.

I agree about the potential and Verbeek needs to support this kid along with the others to get them there.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I was going to post the 2019 draft comparison production in that main forum thread he is 2nd next to Hughes, but said what’s the point.

60+ point seasons for a player 22 or younger are excellent especially when on a bad team. But the Ducks were not just bad, they broke records with how bad they were.

I agree about the potential and Verbeek needs to support this kid along with the others to get them there.
Yeah my will to fight back against people with hate blinders goes only so far.

But god forbid anyone mention that or the fact that Zegras' principal competition for the Calder amongst forwards (Raymond and Bunting) have regressed while Zegras slightly Improved his numbers on a worse team than Detroit and Toronto and a worse team that last year's Ducks cause if you really think about it, Matt Boldy was real close to tying Zegras' total this year, so obviously Zegras is overrated. Just don't look at Minnesota's standings or roster.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah my will to fight back against people with hate blinders goes only so far.

But god forbid anyone mention that or the fact that Zegras' principal competition for the Calder amongst forwards (Raymond and Bunting) have regressed while Zegras slightly Improved his numbers on a worse team than Detroit and Toronto and a worse team that last year's Ducks cause if you really think about it, Matt Boldy was real close to tying Zegras' total this year, so obviously Zegras is overrated. Just don't look at Minnesota's standings or roster.

Zegras actually improved on both ends of the ice. Heck, from that list you mentioned, even Seider regressed.

I think that injury set him back and the only regret of the season ending was he was starting to heat up again, had 6 points in his last 6 games, but lets be happy this season is over, lol.

Got our Top 3 pick locked, and hope Beaker makes some moves in FA.

goonsaredumb

Sep 30, 2022
Zegras actually improved on both ends of the ice.
No one wants to believe this part, they think he's Patty Kane out there playing zero defense, but anyone that actually watched him play could see how much his defense improved, obviously he's still not going to be getting any Selke nominations or anything but he's perfectly serviceable defensively minus the occasional brainfart

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
If Keller can put up over a ppg on the yotes I think you would have hoped Zegras could do something similar; at least 70+ points. Zegras might just not be there yet but I think Keller is probably around where Zegras is in a couple of years.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If Keller can put up over a ppg on the yotes I think you would have hoped Zegras could do something similar; at least 70+ points. Zegras might just not be there yet but I think Keller is probably around where Zegras is in a couple of years.

Keller is also 3 years older than Z. But that is a good measuring stick to where I hope Z is in a couple of seasons.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Zegs so far has basically been a better player than Keller up until Keller's 2021-22 season (which is like 2 years from now for Zegs i believe, might be 3 actually). I kind of hope that he gets even better than what Keller currently is, but that's still a really good player if not.

I feel like there's something else there for Zegs, but who knows if he is ever able to actually harness it.

Frosted Tips

Zeglaf baby!
Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
I seldom entertain myself with a MB thread but this piqued my interest as Zegras is such a polarizing figure. It's a strong thread start I must say, comparing his point totals directly to McDavid's. Sometimes I really wish I could take a look at other people's heads and get a timeline of how some thoughts develop in their heads. But then I just say nope and close the tab.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
I seldom entertain myself with a MB thread but this piqued my interest as Zegras is such a polarizing figure. It's a strong thread start I must say, comparing his point totals directly to McDavid's. Sometimes I really wish I could take a look at other people's heads and get a timeline of how some thoughts develop in their heads. But then I just say nope and close the tab.

It's gotten to the point where a majority of posters now defend Zegras because there have been so many of the same threads.

Reactions: Vipers31

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Zegras has gotten better at D, but he was still horrible at the start if the year, and he is the guy on the ice who lost the most games with a bad decision. He’s 4th in the league for forwards in EVGA with 88 (Kyrou and Gaudreau at 94, Hertl at 90). He‘s second on the team in ES points with 48 (Terry, 49), but was 3rd worst with a -24.

Terry went from 79 last year to 67 this year playing 5 fewer games. Zegras went from 72 to 88, playing 5 more games.

Need some work all the way down the ice.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Zegras has gotten better at D, but he was still horrible at the start if the year, and he is the guy on the ice who lost the most games with a bad decision. He’s 4th in the league for forwards in EVGA with 88 (Kyrou and Gaudreau at 94, Hertl at 90). He‘s second on the team in ES points with 48 (Terry, 49), but was 3rd worst with a -24.

Terry went from 79 last year to 67 this year playing 5 fewer games. Zegras went from 72 to 88, playing 5 more games.

Need some work all the way down the ice.
I know his production was essentially flat this year in worse circumstances, which is arguably evidence for improvement, to me Z took a clear step back this year. He was a passenger in a lot of games and he didn't leave the safety of the perimeter much except on the rush. I didn't see a lack of effort from him at all but I don't think he had much of an idea of how to handle himself this year.

Hopefully with a mental refresh and a coaching reset he can take a leap forward next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad