Player Discussion Trevor Zegras : Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Tough to say, still has a lot to improve to become a legit superstar but if he improved even a little bit he’d be good for an average of ppg on a moderately good team. Offensively I see him being like Nylander worst case, but hopefully ends up better
The kid has the passion and the skill. I think the Ducks can be the ones to make him into a superstar if they put him on that path. Meaning, giving him support, the proper coaching and development. I give props To Eakins for how he has handled Zegras, which is why am indifferent if he comes back or not. But there has to be better out there for him and this team in general.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Is there a lip reader here who could translate this to me?

I think Zegras is great and I'm so thankful for him being a Duck. I hope we can build a better team around him soon.
As some coach (was it Bruce or Randy?) said, ''I much rather have a guy I have to tone down than a guy whom I have to push". It was probably much better worded than I just did tho :laugh:

Last edited:

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
I think he is a great player but IMO he will be better as a wing. He has the potential to be a top winger in the league, but not a top center.

If we are lucky and can get one of the top centers in this draft, then he can be moved to wing and all would be good. You will have 4 of your top 6 set for years. Just need some veteran size to fill it out.

Reactions: PuckProspects

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I think he is a great player but IMO he will be better as a wing. He has the potential to be a top winger in the league, but not a top center.

If we are lucky and can get one of the top centers in this draft, then he can be moved to wing and all would be good. You will have 4 of your top 6 set for years. Just need some veteran size to fill it out.
I disagree. He's much better at center than wing and the strengths of his game cater to the middle of the ice.... Does he need to work on faceoffs and get bigger? Yes he's 21 years old. Just curious you also think Jack Hughes would be better at wing? They are pretty similar in terms of play style and strengths with Hughes being the faster skater.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I disagree. He's much better at center than wing and the strengths of his game cater to the middle of the ice.... Does he need to work on faceoffs and get bigger? Yes he's 21 years old. Just curious you also think Jack Hughes would be better at wing? They are pretty similar in terms of play style and strengths with Hughes being the faster skater.

Agree with this. I think he is better at C also. Has the puck more. Having to be defensive for a C is also overrated, imo. Just got to be responsible and he has actually improved there. Just needs to work on the Face offs like you said.

Reactions: Trojans86

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
The lipreader bunch will come up with a story of how Trevor Zegras is destroying the TV studios on PURPOSE here. No way it wasn't his intention:

PS
Still amazed at how much national TV attention Zegras is getting, have we ever had a player that is talked about so much? Starting in the WJC, to EA cover, to all the skills, to even all the butthurt reactions to him (which are hilarious).

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The lipreader bunch will come up with a story of how Trevor Zegras is destroying
Still amazed at how much national TV attention Zegras is getting, have we ever had a player that is talked about so much? Starting in the WJC, to EA cover, to all the skills, to even all the butthurt reactions to him (which are hilarious).

Was just going to say this, after the stupid Stecher incident he is back in the good graces of the hockey world.

Getting a nod on national TV, really good for the Ducks.

I pull myself through these really bad games, to see guys like Z and Mac get on the scoresheet and play. Z had another good game and picked up an apple on the McGinn goal. Mac also had an apple on the Terry goal, but he looked rough last night.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Came across this stat, this is the Top C’s in the league at ES production…

F84FD26B-E27D-4100-B667-07270776294D.jpeg

considering his line-mates and this team. Really remarkable!

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
I can't tell if my eye test is heavily biased in favor of Zegras or everyone else really is heavily biased against him. A post on the mainboards today is talking about how plays die constantly due to him being "too fancy". I just don't see it. Rarely am I thinking "wow Z, if you'd have went with the meat and potatoes play that would've been a goal".. I'm more typically thinking "if Z had better linemates that would've been a goal".

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
I can't tell if my eye test is heavily biased in favor of Zegras or everyone else really is heavily biased against him. A post on the mainboards today is talking about how plays die constantly due to him being "too fancy". I just don't see it. Rarely am I thinking "wow Z, if you'd have went with the meat and potatoes play that would've been a goal".. I'm more typically thinking "if Z had better linemates that would've been a goal".
There was that one drop pass on a breakaway in OT, but yeah, other than that I agree.

Reactions: ohcomeonref

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Maybe there are 1000 Torts burner accounts driving this narrative, but yeah, there are people out there.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Last year I thought he was definitely too fancy. Not costing-us-goals-constantly fancy but just unnecessarily complicating things. I don't see that at all this year. I think it's true that he spends too much time being invisible but it's not because he's too fancy, it's because he's neutralized a lot of the time.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
He still gives the puck away but less of a "what the f*** were you thinking" and more of a "that would have been cool"

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Zegras is fine. You don't want to beat his imagination out of him. If the price is an intercepted pass or two it is well worth the cost. If you make him an ordinary player then he will not be nearly as effective a hockey player.
Not to mention that it's better for him to learn how to use his creativity and what he can get away with now while we are a bad team. The hope is he knows how to use that creativity by the time the Ducks are good again to be far more effective than if he just started toning it down now.

Reactions: Mr Rogers

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Came across this stat, this is the Top C’s in the league at ES production…

View attachment 665875

considering his line-mates and this team. Really remarkable!
Yes but how is he useful, when he just show off on the ice and not playing game the right way? :sarcasm:
Also, I am a part-time data scientist/astrologer and I think I just read those numbers said something about Stetcher being washed up.

Zegras is single handedly responsible for the most butthurt around the league :laugh: Fitting he's a Ducks I guess. He has the skill of Kariya but the vibe of Perry, I love it haha.

Last edited:

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
I missed a good part of the last game, (along with bits and pieces of other games) but overall seems Z has tempered himself a bit over the last couple weeks, pretty much after that last penalty where he was yapping the ref and got benched again?

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I missed a good part of the last game, (along with bits and pieces of other games) but overall seems Z has tempered himself a bit over the last couple weeks, pretty much after that last penalty where he was yapping the ref and got benched again?

With how bad the refs have been, give him a lot of credit for not yapping. It's very bad the officiating this year, imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad