Player Discussion Trevor Zegras : Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
I'm sure there have been initial discussions, but I think it's pretty clear that Pat's attention had been to Terry because of the arbitration. I'm sure they will start working more on Zegras and Drysdale contracts soon, but we'll see how long will it take. Looks like Pat might be willing to go the extra mile to negotiate a better deal for the team, so who knows how close it is.

Zegras sounds determined.

And I would bet Drysdale gets done before Z.

Terry had a timeline
Drysdale will only be short term and low cost due to injury and not having proven anything
Zegras will be the most complicated because team and player are most likely on different pages

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I like how Z was talking about improving. Seems to genuinely want to become better and is throwing all is energy into training.
Literally everything we've heard about Z outside of fans on this board--coaches, current and former teammates, management--is that he's coachable, hardworking and well-liked. That he manages to be a motormouth prankster doofus without annoying the hell out of his teammates is pretty remarkable.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I like how Z was talking about improving. Seems to genuinely want to become better and is throwing all is energy into training.
He's been doing it ever since we drafted him. He might need to fix his instincts defensively, but the coaches, the teammates, all have been praising his drive. It's only the other team fans and the lip readers who are questioning it... just because he's doing fancy moves, lol.

@The Midnight Burrito beat me to it/ I had not refreshed the page

Last edited:

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
He's been doing it ever since we drafted him. He might need to fix his instincts defensively, but the coaches, the teammates, all have been praising his drive. It's only the other team fans and the lip readers who are questioning it... just because he's doing fancy moves, lol.

@The Midnight Burrito beat me to it/ I had not refreshed the page
I wonder how Z will be under Cronin in this regard. Will we see more next level Michigan type plays? Or has he been convinced that another style of play is better for the team?

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
If we bridge, will it be 4 years and how much per year?

If he develops to where we hope he’ll want $10m+ to extend when he’s 26.

John

Additional: Since Zegras has no bargaining rights, (arbitration), can the team just offer an 8x8? Where does it go from there?

Last edited:

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
If we bridge, will it be 4 years and how much per year?

If he develops to where we hope he’ll want $10m+ to extend when he’s 26.

John

Additional: Since Zegras has no bargaining rights, (arbitration), can the team just offer an 8x8? Where does it go from there?
His only leverage is that he does not have to sign anything. Rakell and Lindholm did the same thing and sat out until they got an offer they were willing to sign.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
I realize Hughes signed 2 years ago so he’s now more valuable than his $8 per year. However, with the cap being stagnant like it’s been, along with Hughes having had the higher potential when he signed his deal, what makes Zegras worth $8 or even higher as some have suggested? I’ve seen it mentioned that he should get $8.5/8 years. If Boldy signed for $7 and Caufield for $7.85, what makes Zegras worth more than that? I actually think $7 should’ve been the number, ala Boldy, but Montreal decided to blow it up with Caufield. With that said, I wouldn’t think Zegras should get more than Caufield when they’re pretty much on equal ground. Why isn’t anything between $7 and $7.85 a fair number when it comes to Zegras? (For the record, I love Z).

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
I realize Hughes signed 2 years ago so he’s now more valuable than his $8 per year. However, with the cap being stagnant like it’s been, along with Hughes having had the higher potential when he signed his deal, what makes Zegras worth $8 or even higher as some have suggested? I’ve seen it mentioned that he should get $8.5/8 years. If Boldy signed for $7 and Caufield for $7.85, what makes Zegras worth more than that? I actually think $7 should’ve been the number, ala Boldy, but Montreal decided to blow it up with Caufield. With that said, I wouldn’t think Zegras should get more than Caufield when they’re pretty much on equal ground. Why isn’t anything between $7 and $7.85 a fair number when it comes to Zegras? (For the record, I love Z).
Because locking him down for 8-8.5 now is much better than 10m a few years down the line if he breaks out like we can all see he will. That extra 500k- 1mil above Caufield really shouldn’t hurt as opposed to a couple million. I’d assume Verbeek is probably aiming for the Caufield contract, we’ll see if Zegras will play ball and take a team friendly deal or not.

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
Because locking him down for 8-8.5 now is much better than 10m a few years down the line if he breaks out like we can all see he will. That extra 500k- 1mil above Caufield really shouldn’t hurt as opposed to a couple million. I’d assume Verbeek is probably aiming for the Caufield contract, we’ll see if Zegras will play ball and take a team friendly deal or not.
I understand and agree he could be worth $10/mil down the road but that could also be said of Boldy and Caufield. They both signed for less. Hughes is already nearing that, as well. ($10/per) So, how come the other teams can sign their guys for good contracts and the Ducks have to pay more because of what he could be worth in a few years from now? Caufield just signed as a rfa and arguably has proven as much if not more due to his goal scoring. They could also lose with Drysdale too by bridging him now and waiting until he breaks out. For instance, they could offer Dry $6/8 and he may bite due to the security of the long contract. It’s an overpay now but could be a bargain in a couple of years. If they bridge him now, they could be stuck paying him $8+ later. I guess I don’t get why other teams are able to lock up their young talent for great numbers yet the ducks have to pay more.

Last edited:

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Update on Z..

I think it was speculated around here already, Friedman said they were late to start approaching Z’s camp, because wanted to get Terry done first.

Last edited:

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
I understand and agree he could be worth $10/mil down the road but that could also be said of Boldy and Caufield. They both signed for less. Hughes is already nearing that, as well. ($10/per) So, how come the other teams can sign their guys for good contracts and the Ducks have to pay more because of what he could be worth in a few years from now? Caufield just signed as a rfa and arguably has proven as much if not more due to his goal scoring. They could also lose with Drysdale too by bridging him now and waiting until he breaks out. For instance, they could offer Dry $6/8 and he may bite due to the security of the long contract. It’s an overpay now but could be a bargain in a couple of years. If they bridge him now, they could be stuck paying him $8+ later. I guess I don’t get why other teams are able to lock up their young talent for great numbers yet the ducks have to pay more.
Who says we can’t? There’s still time, PV just got Terry out of the way, now he can get to Zegras and Drysdale. The Hughes contract is an outlier because that’s going to be one of the best contracts in the league in a few years, but regarding Caufield, Zegras has proven more, and should be worth more. Him along with Terry have put the offense on their backs the past 2 seasons, and those are his rookie/ sophomore seasons. I’d give him 8x8 easily, and if he wants 8.5 so be it, he’s a guy you want locked down before he’s worth $10+.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Who says we can’t? There’s still time, PV just got Terry out of the way, now he can get to Zegras and Drysdale. The Hughes contract is an outlier because that’s going to be one of the best contracts in the league in a few years, but regarding Caufield, Zegras has proven more, and should be worth more. Him along with Terry have put the offense on their backs the past 2 seasons, and those are his rookie/ sophomore seasons. I’d give him 8x8 easily, and if he wants 8.5 so be it, he’s a guy you want locked down before he’s worth $10+.
What’s the highest you’d pay for him 8 years….

I can’t imagine he signs anything long term under 9

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
What’s the highest you’d pay for him 8 years….

I can’t imagine he signs anything long term under 9
I think he can make an argument he’s deserving of 8.5, even though I really think he’s worth slightly less by 500k or so, I’d do 8.5 for 8 years. Anything more than that I wouldn’t though. If he wants 9 I imagine Verbeek bridges him, I don’t see him giving him 9 and term

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I think he can make an argument he’s deserving of 8.5, even though I really think he’s worth slightly less by 500k or so, I’d do 8.5 for 8 years. Anything more than that I wouldn’t though. If he wants 9 I imagine Verbeek bridges him, I don’t see him giving him 9 and term
Same which is why I think we end up with a bridge deal….

Zegras should also have a clause in contract that has the ducks promise to go back to the egg plant and teal uniforms

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2012
I love Zegras but I see him as a winger and paying 9+ million a year for a winger worries me.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
I could see either $8m-$8.5m x 8.

Or $6m-$6.5m x2.

I don't think PV will go to $9m as there is little incentive to take that much risk over a bridge and $10m. Zegras isn't worth more than $6.5m for the next 2 years when the Ducks are still rebuilding.

John

Reactions: DavidBL

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
I don’t see zegras being the type to pass on just securing his entire life right now. I would say he gets a little more than Terry but gets the full 8 years

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
Seravalli is saying he thinks Zegras will sign a bridge deal around $5m x 2.

around 45:40.

Not surprised. I would personally prefer a 3 year bridge to a 2 year just because it would line up with the end of Fowler and Gudas’ deals. Though if the cap increases as much as people say it will, it probably won’t make a big difference.

EDIT: Actually, my preference depends on how many years Zegras has before he is a UFA. If it’s 4 years, then I would prefer a 2 year deal. If it’s 5 years, then I would prefer a 3 year deal. I seem to recall it being a big deal when Zegras only played 24 games his rookie year. I believe if he played a 25th game, that would have counted as a year of service time, meaning he would be a UFA a year earlier (someone correct me if I’m wrong). I’m just not sure how many RFA years he has left.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad