Player Discussion Trevor Zegras : Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
Not surprised. I would personally prefer a 3 year bridge to a 2 year just because it would line up with the end of Fowler and Gudas’ deals. Though if the cap increases as much as people say it will, it probably won’t make a big difference.

EDIT: Actually, my preference depends on how many years Zegras has before he is a UFA. If it’s 4 years, then I would prefer a 2 year deal. If it’s 5 years, then I would prefer a 3 year deal. I seem to recall it being a big deal when Zegras only played 24 games his rookie year. I believe if he played a 25th game, that would have counted as a year of service time, meaning he would be a UFA a year earlier (someone correct me if I’m wrong). I’m just not sure how many RFA years he has left.
Looked through Google and it said he’s UFA in 2028, so I believe 5 years?

So if we’re going to bridge, I actually wouldn’t mind a 4 year, as long as we don’t do 5 and walk him to UFA

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
2-3 year Bridge deal is fine I guess, he is betting on himself, and will still be a RFA. Will also be more motivated to improve for that big contract. Not worried about the cap hit.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
2-3 year Bridge deal is fine I guess, he is betting on himself, and will still be a RFA. Will also be more motivated to improve for that big contract. Not worried about the cap hit.
I'm not a fan of the bridge. I don't like the idea of a player getting more negotiating power right before their UFA years. Not that he would but the recent trend of young players asserting their will of who they want to play for during RFA years really scares me too.

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
I'm not a fan of the bridge. I don't like the idea of a player getting more negotiating power right before their UFA years. Not that he would but the recent trend of young players asserting their will of who they want to play for during RFA years really scares me too.

Im not a fan of the bridge either for the teams sake, but they might not have a choice in the matter when it comes down to it.

If Im Zegras' agent, Im telling him to bridge on a 3-4 year deal. As the cap goes up and the roster gets better, his odds of earning a bigger and bigger contract just continues to increase.

Hes also not a guy who has shown to be susceptible to injury and takes care of his body so the risk factor is less, although accidents happen. Hes young enough where its smarter for him to bridge than play it safe.

Id think Beeker would have to be willing to go $9+mil a year on a 8 year contract for Zegras not to bridge, and thats just too much for me right now.

Reactions: 70sSanO

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
The better the team gets the more points he will put up

Great idea on his part to bridge as he could earn an extra 8+ million over his career by waiting

IDE be fine with 1 mill but I’ma simple man

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
Looked through Google and it said he’s UFA in 2028, so I believe 5 years?

So if we’re going to bridge, I actually wouldn’t mind a 4 year, as long as we don’t do 5 and walk him to UFA
The reason I wouldn’t do 4 is he could then just simply accept his qualifying offer in 4 years. Then has a contract that walks him to UFA and there isn’t much we can do about it.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Im not a fan of the bridge either for the teams sake, but they might not have a choice in the matter when it comes down to it.

If Im Zegras' agent, Im telling him to bridge on a 3-4 year deal. As the cap goes up and the roster gets better, his odds of earning a bigger and bigger contract just continues to increase.

Hes also not a guy who has shown to be susceptible to injury and takes care of his body so the risk factor is less, although accidents happen. Hes young enough where its smarter for him to bridge than play it safe.

Id think Beeker would have to be willing to go $9+mil a year on a 8 year contract for Zegras not to bridge, and thats just too much for me right now.

Does kinda suck... but i agree.
Hughes at 8 x 8
Stutzle at 8.2x 8
Boldy at 7 x 7
Cozens at 7.1 x 7

Feel like Zegras should fall in the 7.25- 7.75 range but i think the Caufield contract killed that(7.85, i imagine zegras thinks hes worth more than caufield) , but really no reason for him to go long term without a 9 at the front.

Also maybe a dumb question but how come boldy/cozens didnt do 8 years?

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
Does kinda suck... but i agree.
Hughes at 8 x 8
Stutzle at 8.2x 8
Boldy at 7 x 7
Cozens at 7.1 x 7

Feel like Zegras should fall in the 7.25- 7.75 range but i think the Caufield contract killed that(7.85, i imagine zegras thinks hes worth more than caufield) , but really no reason for him to go long term without a 9 at the front.

Also maybe a dumb question but how come boldy/cozens didnt do 8 years?

Ya and Stutzle making 8.35mil and already having a season of better than a PPG kind of sets the ceiling. Hughes has had 2 season (althought 1 was cut short) at better than a PPG.

I think you could make an argument that Zegras might be in that range... maybe, but cant go over Stutzle. And Caufield would be his floor.

Id give him $8.125mil for 8.

And I dont understand why Boldy and Cozens when 7 instead of 8 years either.

Reactions: Trojans86

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
If they are 22, they’ll be 29 after 7 years.

While it is only 1 year, they might be able to get another 7 years at high value if they are healthy, take good care of themselves, and are really producing.

They probably would have been smarter to take 6 years at those numbers.

John

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Not surprised. I would personally prefer a 3 year bridge to a 2 year just because it would line up with the end of Fowler and Gudas’ deals. Though if the cap increases as much as people say it will, it probably won’t make a big difference.

EDIT: Actually, my preference depends on how many years Zegras has before he is a UFA. If it’s 4 years, then I would prefer a 2 year deal. If it’s 5 years, then I would prefer a 3 year deal. I seem to recall it being a big deal when Zegras only played 24 games his rookie year. I believe if he played a 25th game, that would have counted as a year of service time, meaning he would be a UFA a year earlier (someone correct me if I’m wrong). I’m just not sure how many RFA years he has left.

The 25-game threshold was the criteria for the Calder cup, rookie of year award. Both Zegras and Drysdale were withheld from playing 25 NHL games.

As for pro service time in the NHL, it's 11 games for an age 19 player. We discovered this when Comtois was exempted from the Kraken expansion draft b/c players with two professional seasons would not be exempt.

Expansion rule pertaining to Comtois:
* All first- and second-year professionals, and all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection and will not be counted toward protection limits.

• Comtois, NHL
    • 2018-19: 10 games
    • 2019-20: 29 games
    • 2020-21: 55 games
    • 2021 Summer = Expansion draft.

Emerald Duck

Dec 9, 2009
Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim, CA
Well if Verbeek is true to form we probably won't have a deal with Zegras until the start of training camp (Verbeek accepts Zegras' proposal) or until the morning of Opening Night (Zegras accepts Verbeek's idea).
PV doesn't seem to feel any urgency to sign these guys before he has to - maybe it's part of his negotiation style ? :popcorn:

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
If z is signing a bridge deal. He's out to NY area in 2 years. Ducks better not screw this up. Lock him up at a least 7 years

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
If z is signing a bridge deal. He's out to NY area in 2 years. Ducks better not screw this up. Lock him up at a least 7 years
If Zegras is signing a bridge deal then he will still be an RFA in 2-3 years and the ducks would still hold his rights in that case. The worst case scenario is a 4-5 year deal which I wouldn’t consider a true bridge

A 6-7 year deal would be a nice compromise in my opinion. I can see why he wouldn’t want 8. That pushes him to 30 and doesn’t give him much flexibility

Reactions: Yemeth

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
Didn't realize he could hammer it like that! I don't think he was hitting 'em like that when he did the Sandbagger with Caulfield.
Even if he just happened to catch everything just right, you don’t hit it almost 320 yards without having the swing speed. It was on a simulator, which doesn’t give him any downhill rollout.

Matthews “only” hit it 300 yards.

John

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary

0527A131-340F-443D-88ED-721F8FEF9C28.png

Pretty cool shoutout from Bondra. Also neat they had this game for Hossa in Slovakia. Idk how we are doing twitter links these days

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad