Player Discussion Trevor Zegras : Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Someone said it earlier (in this thread, too, I think), I would much rather have a bridge than a mid-term 4-year or 5-year deal that puts him in a situation where he can take the qualifying offer route there or walk right to UFA status. Anything in the 6-8 year range is ideal obviously.

As for the bolded... that's just every main board thread that involves this team ever. I'm only in there to scan and laugh at the memes.
A bridge would be ok I guess, would still be a RFA, 4-5 years would be the worst scenario, so I really hope a long term will happen like 7 years or even 8.

My issue is a lot of rumors are gonna start with Zegras going to the Rangers. So I will be in the middle of it and won’t enjoy it.

Reactions: TheGoodShepard1

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
he seems to be very misunderstood by a lot of opposing fans. didn't somebody say he's really good to team staff and honda center employees? that's really all i need to hear, it's very easy for these pros to overlook those people and he evidently does not.

it's just like at work where bosses completely misunderstand certain employees all the time and base their entire opinion/narrative off of one experience/interaction with them. it takes effort to not analyse everything based on pre-prepared narrative.

People can't separate the hockey persona from outside hockey persona. I love the fact Z can turn it on when he's on the ice and especially love he can reset his mind if he does something bad in the game to not affect what he can do in the next shift.

People chirp all the time in all sports. Usually, the better the player you are the more chirping you do if that's their personality. After playing, then everyone goes back to being chill... mostly.

Z is just genuine. I can't complain. I died laughing when Z talked smacked before the WJC championship game with Canada. He upset all of Canada with his pre-game comment. Then he and team USA upset Canada (and Drysdale) in the championship game. Yet, Drysdale and him are besties today.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Nothing will get remotely as bad as the Getzlaf and Perry discussions on the trade boards as they were approaching UFA.

I'm glad Leafs fans got to eat shit for all their smugness during that time.
I got my first violation during that on these forums

For saying
Suck it leafs fans

Which essentially started my war with leafs nation…. But now my war is with Montreal fans

Rooch

Jul 22, 2021
I have to say the silence from the Ducks FO is getting really stale. Z and Drysdale are core elements of this rebuild, as was Terry. I recognize that negotiating contracts is a long and arduous exercise (particularly for Drysdale because he missed a whole season), but the reality that they've both dragged on almost into September is a bad look for Verbeek (who clearly couldn't give two poops about what I think). Concerns me that he was so willing to shell out (overpay?) for Killer and Gudas but is behaving so methodically with our own in-house guys. Especially Zegras, who tied for the team lead in goals last year and moves A LOT of Ducks merch.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
I have to say the silence from the Ducks FO is getting really stale. Z and Drysdale are core elements of this rebuild, as was Terry. I recognize that negotiating contracts is a long and arduous exercise (particularly for Drysdale because he missed a whole season), but the reality that they've both dragged on almost into September is a bad look for Verbeek (who clearly couldn't give two poops about what I think). Concerns me that he was so willing to shell out (overpay?) for Killer and Gudas but is behaving so methodically with our own in-house guys. Especially Zegras, who tied for the team lead in goals last year and moves A LOT of Ducks merch.
I think you've got to temper your expectations. Terry's deal wasn't done until the day of his arbitration hearing.

I'd be very surprised if Zegras' deal was done before training camp. I don't view that as disrespect from the GM to the fans or the player - it's just how business goes sometimes.

Reactions: Yemeth

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I think it's a positive sign that nothing has leaked from any side on the RFA negotiations. Leaks are usually a sign of discontent on one side or the other. We aren't there yet.

Selectively overpaying vets to help the young players is much preferred to overpaying your young guys long term a la Dubas in Toronto. If Z wants to bet on himself then so be it. You can't force him to sign long term. It's a two way street. Sure the cap is going up in the future, but the player better keep improving if they expect an even bigger contract. A lot of things can happen to derail that plan. There's risk on both sides.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
[] Concerns me that he was so willing to shell out (overpay?) for Killer and Gudas but is behaving so methodically with our own in-house guys. Especially Zegras, who tied for the team lead in goals last year and moves A LOT of Ducks merch.
Shouldn't concern you in itself, UFAs aren't controlled, you strike when they're available. Z and Jamie aren't going anywhere so you can take your time, there's no opportunity cost.

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
Whose nose could that be?
1693455843869.png

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Whose nose could that be?
View attachment 740010
How poorly NHL is being marketed? The players are ignored like ESPN will report that Bieber attends UFC when there is Matthews right next to him and not mention a word about it. Now apparently a TikTok star is mentioned but one of the biggest up and coming names in hockey is purely ignored :laugh:

Part of a reasn why the best earning players in the NBA are closing in on earning as much from an NBA contract alone as the whole teams in the NHL

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
How poorly NHL is being marketed? The players are ignored like ESPN will report that Bieber attends UFC when there is Matthews right next to him and not mention a word about it. Now apparently a TikTok star is mentioned but one of the biggest up and coming names in hockey is purely ignored :laugh:

Part of a reasn why the best earning players in the NBA are closing in on earning as much from an NBA contract alone as the whole teams in the NHL
Like it or not this is how the world is. She has 50 times the following Zegras has

Trust me, it’s insane to me too what things have come to. But here we are

Reactions: Frosted Tips

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Like it or not this is how the world is. She has 50 times the following Zegras has

Trust me, it’s insane to me too what things have come to. But here we are
That's ok. It's a bit crazy to me but I'm not against it, every generation has its own ways.

I'm frustrated by the lack of proper marketing by the NHL tho. They are doing some nice things like outdoor games and Global Series, but it seriously lacks some buzz, especially with newer generation and platforms I guess. Eventually, it hurts the game, imo.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
That's ok. It's a bit crazy to me but I'm not against it, every generation has its own ways.

I'm frustrated by the lack of proper marketing by the NHL tho. They are doing some nice things like outdoor games and Global Series, but it seriously lacks some buzz, especially with newer generation and platforms I guess. Eventually, it hurts the game, imo.
The sport of hockey is too expensive to appeal to inner city kids. It will never expand the way you want it to

Socioeconomics is the main issue, not marketing by the NHL

If you’re a low income parent would you rather buy your kid a $10 basketball and tell them to go to the park and shoot hoops or invest $1000+ in hockey gear

It isn’t a level playing field

Reactions: lordtrillson

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
The sport of hockey is too expensive to appeal to inner city kids. It will never expand the way you want it to

Socioeconomics is the main issue, not marketing by the NHL

If you’re a low income parent would you rather buy your kid a $10 basketball and tell them to go to the park and shoot hoops or invest $1000+ in hockey gear

It isn’t a level playing field
Hockey is more expensive of course. But I'm talking about simply capturing people's attention. You don't need hockey gear to watch the game or follow players on social media.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
She is a tiktok/reality star. You shouldn’t know her.
I'm sorry, who is she and why should I (or anyone for that matter) know her?
Not a TikTok guy, either, but these types of comments are annoying. It’s not like hockey players cure cancer or are otherwise integral parts of society we couldn’t do without, yet we enjoy and value the entertainment they provide to us. We might not have the same connections to the skills that put you in the elite category in that market, but who cares? No person on earth „should“ know either Zegras or his apparent gf.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
Not a TikTok guy, either, but these types of comments are annoying. It’s not like hockey players cure cancer or are otherwise integral parts of society we couldn’t do without, yet we enjoy and value the entertainment they provide to us. We might not have the same connections to the skills that put you in the elite category in that market, but who cares? No person on earth „should“ know either Zegras or his apparent gf.

It's not that deep lol. She is a 22yo TikTok star. Considering most of the fans on this board have been following the Ducks from the beginning (or near it), we are out of the target demographic of her audience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad