Player Discussion Trevor Zegras : Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Don’t agree that Drysdale will be paid less than 2M although that’d be remarkable

2.5-3 is likely IMo

He was on a solid trajectory before his injury and was a 6th overall pick with considerable upside
You may be right. I just don't see how a guy with no arb rights who missed a whole season with a serious injury would get that much. He looked good at times during his last (only full) season, but the last part of it was pretty brutal. I know they are not direct comparisons, but Terry got less than $2 on his bridge while showing signs of promise but not yet proving it.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
You may be right. I just don't see how a guy with no arb rights who missed a whole season with a serious injury would get that much. He looked good at times during his last (only full) season, but the last part of it was pretty brutal. I know they are not direct comparisons, but Terry got less than $2 on his bridge while showing signs of promise but not yet proving it.
There are signs of promise and then there are signs of promise. A 5th round pick coming off a 26-point (pro-rated) effort as a forward is probably too different from a top-10 pick with a 32-point rookie season as a defenseman to compare, injury season notwithstanding.

Reactions: AngelDuck

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
Funny how a possible 3 or 4 year deal is not “long term.” I guess long term only applies to 7 or 8 years? A lot can happen in 3 years. Z (hopefully) is awesome and the Ducks sign him “long term” or maybe he gets hurt or never becomes elite and the Ducks are happy he only has a 3 year deal. Getz and Pears signed 5 year deals before their “long term” deals and the organization and players benefited IMO.

I just want him signed so the team and player can continue building what appears to be a beneficial relationship (for now).

Reactions: ReptilianQuack

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Funny how a possible 3 or 4 year deal is not “long term.” I guess long term only applies to 7 or 8 years? A lot can happen in 3 years. Z (hopefully) is awesome and the Ducks sign him “long term” or maybe he gets hurt or never becomes elite and the Ducks are happy he only has a 3 year deal. Getz and Pears signed 5 year deals before their “long term” deals and the organization and players benefited IMO.

I just want him signed so the team and player can continue building what appears to be a beneficial relationship (for now).
The Ducks would be idiots to give him a 4 year deal, that walks him right to UFA. A 3 year deal means he has arbitration rights and can take a 1 year deal and walk right to UFA. A 1-2 year deal or a 5-8 year deal are the only sensible moves for the team.

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
The Ducks would be idiots to give him a 4 year deal, that walks him right to UFA. A 3 year deal means he has arbitration rights and can take a 1 year deal and walk right to UFA. A 1-2 year deal or a 5-8 year deal are the only sensible moves for the team.
I believe he has 5 years until he’s a UFA, though I could be wrong. If he had played a 25th game in his first pro season, then it would be only 4 years.

EDIT: I can’t find anything about the 25 games thing, but there is this:
1693971606094.png

Last edited:

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
2 years seems to make the most sense for both parties, keeps him a RFA for another two years, gives him 2 seasons to prove himself, and will also avoid arbitration.

I hope we have to really pay him in a couple of years, it means he is meeting his highest potential. Will have the cap and it’s also going up as well. So will be fine.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
2 years seems to make the most sense for both parties, keeps him a RFA for another two years, gives him 2 seasons to prove himself, and will also avoid arbitration.

I hope we have to really pay him in a couple of years, it means he is meeting his highest potential. Will have the cap and it’s also going up as well. So will be fine.
As someone else mentioned he has 5 years to UFA due to the fact that his first year he was not in the roster for 40 games so he has only accrued 2 years to UFA. The bridge could go to 3 years.

Reactions: Leonardo87

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
As someone else mentioned he has 5 years to UFA due to the fact that his first year he was not in the roster for 40 games so he has only accrued 2 years to UFA. The bridge could go to 3 years.

Want to keep it at 2 years to avoid arbitration.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
So I just listened to the first Etem Up episode (from mid-August) and actually it was pretty good. He's funny at times. He said that Sopel (the two-hander to the teeth comment about Z) belonged on a no-fly list and that he would be hated in a room full of people playing NHL23. Etem's theory for the holdup on Z's contract was that they were negotiating the number of Michigans Z would score.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
So I just listened to the first Etem Up episode (from mid-August) and actually it was pretty good. He's funny at times. He said that Sopel (the two-hander to the teeth comment about Z) belonged on a no-fly list and that he would be hated in a room full of people playing NHL23. Etem's theory for the holdup on Z's contract was that they were negotiating the number of Michigans Z would score.
Nice. Where is it posted?

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
I like the energy/vibe of his episodes. Only thing that irks me is he really likes to repeat phrases for extra emphasis, and he does it a lot.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
3 or 4 years is dumb. Both can put the Ducks in the same situation other teams have gotten in where the player goes arbitration for 1 year and says they wont sign anything more then 1 year on their last RFA contract forcing a trade.

They need to do a 1-2 year show-me deal and then pay the kid.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
3 or 4 years is dumb. Both can put the Ducks in the same situation other teams have gotten in where the player goes arbitration for 1 year and says they wont sign anything more then 1 year on their last RFA contract forcing a trade.

Agreed, and I really don’t see them discussing a 3/4 year term too much. That would already be long-term enough for the Ducks to have to pay for potential, and it seems like they don’t want to do that. Sure, there’s less risk with four years, but I don’t see that being the point. Two years seems like a natural fit. Zegras gets to show his worth and development, the Ducks don’t have to pay him more than their current best player until he (hopefully) becomes that.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Could not have said it any better than this.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Agreed, and I really don’t see them discussing a 3/4 year term too much. That would already be long-term enough for the Ducks to have to pay for potential, and it seems like they don’t want to do that. Sure, there’s less risk with four years, but I don’t see that being the point. Two years seems like a natural fit. Zegras gets to show his worth and development, the Ducks don’t have to pay him more than their current best player until he (hopefully) becomes that.
I haven't seen this aspect discussed at all. Not every GM thinks this way, but it wouldn't surprise me if one of the reasons Verbeek is open to a short term deal is to keep the AAV lower than Terry's deal for the time being.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Guys, there's just no good reason. Why aren't we losing our marbles like the rest of Twitter?

• Haha
Reactions: MMC

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
Guys, there's just no good reason. Why aren't we losing our marbles like the rest of Twitter?

If both parties wanted the same thing this deal would be done already. Pat probably wanted a long term and Zegras didn't, in which case there is really nothing that can be done. The best thing to do would be to appease him and keep him happy and then try to re-sign him long term down the line.

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
If both parties wanted the same thing this deal would be done already. Pat probably wanted a long term and Zegras didn't, in which case there is really nothing that can be done. The best thing to do would be to appease him and keep him happy and then try to re-sign him long term down the line.
I'm actually on the flip side of this; the Ducks want a bridge and Zegras wants term. I'm of the opinion the Ducks want a couple of "prove it" seasons to see if he sustains and/or advances his scoring, and to see if can learn to control his mouth and temper. If he does both, I'm a lot more confident about paying him big money for several more years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad