Player Discussion Trevor Zegras : Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I think PV will have a hard time paying Z more than T at this stage. My guess is we are going to get a 2-3 year bridge for Z which I hate but I just find it really hard to see Z getting more than T. Yes, hes younger and had similar production the last 2 years but I can't see Z taking a long term deal around the same average. He's going to want closer to 8 I think. Hopefully PV can prove me wrong. If we can get Z at around 7 that would be a huge win.

Reactions: Vipers31

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
I think PV will have a hard time paying Z more than T at this stage. My guess is we are going to get a 2-3 year bridge for Z which I hate but I just find it really hard to see Z getting more than T. Yes, hes younger and had similar production the last 2 years but I can't see Z taking a long term deal around the same average. He's going to want closer to 8 I think. Hopefully PV can prove me wrong. If we can get Z at around 7 that would be a huge win.
If Zegras does become the star he appears he might become, getting him for $7m will only elicit a trade request at some point.

Not that he’ll get more, but he’ll get a better market; and that will pay him more for his brand.

Rakell just had a breakout year. Some might say he had Crosby, but he had Getzlaf as a Duck. I think it was a case of you get what you pay for.

John

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
If Zegras does become the star he appears he might become, getting him for $7m will only elicit a trade request at some point.

Not that he’ll get more, but he’ll get a better market; and that will pay him more for his brand.

Rakell just had a breakout year. Some might say he had Crosby, but he had Getzlaf as a Duck. I think it was a case of you get what you pay for.

John
I don't think getting a good deal for the ducks automatically means he'll want a trade in a few years. Id be more concerned with him not being happy with where the team is at if the does a bridge and deciding he doesn't want to be here long term and walking himself to UFA like a number of high profile players have been doing in recent years. He hasn't actually done or said anything to think that would be the case but I would be a much more comfortable with a long term deal.

Rakell didn't have a breakout year. He just got back to what he was on a good team. Getzlaf 5 years ago was probably closer to what Crosby is now. I think Rakell has always been a complimentary player and always struggled when he had to do more work. I don't think he played better just because he got more money on his new deal.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I don't agree. Terry's "breakout" took a lot longer and his second "breakout" year was down from his first. Z put up up two 60 point seasons in his first two, full, NHL seasons. You can easily pay Z more for his results as well as the expectation of more to come given his young age. It will be nice if Terry continues improving, but at his age, history tells us that's not really expected.

If PV can get Z for 8x8 he should jump on it.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I don't agree. Terry's "breakout" took a lot longer and his second "breakout" year was down from his first. Z put up up two 60 point seasons in his first two, full, NHL seasons. You can easily pay Z more for his results as well as the expectation of more to come given his young age. It will be nice if Terry continues improving, but at his age, history tells us that's not really expected.

If PV can get Z for 8x8 he should jump on it.
I don't really disagree completely except that paying Z more makes him the highest paid player who is widely considered our second best player currently. There is a certain hierarchy to these things. My suspicion is that PV wants to see Z be the best player before he's paid as one. Yes, I agree in a year or 2 Z probably will outpace T but T is also the more much complete player. It's why I expect a bridge deal for Z. I could also be totally wrong. We'll see. I didn't think PV was going to get Ts deal done so there's that.

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
Age and what hes accomplished so far, his comparabiles are in the $8mil range. Hes not comparable to Terry, thats not the bench mark. If anything, Terry only sets a floor for a short term deal, and even then, its apples and oranges.

Z will likely want a bridge because he will be advised that with the cap going up and his progression he could be worth $10mil in 4 years. Team should be looking at locking him up for as many years as possible at anything under $8.5mil.

Id say a reasonable contract would be 8x8.125

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I don't really disagree completely except that paying Z more makes him the highest paid player who is widely considered our second best player currently. There is a certain hierarchy to these things. My suspicion is that PV wants to see Z be the best player before he's paid as one. Yes, I agree in a year or 2 Z probably will outpace T but T is also the more much complete player. It's why I expect a bridge deal for Z. I could also be totally wrong. We'll see. I didn't think PV was going to get Ts deal done so there's that.
You're getting too hung up on looking at things in a vacuum. You are deciding what to pay these guys for the next 7-8 years, not the current moment in time. Offer both players, for free, to 32 teams and I believe teams would overwhelmingly choose Z. Ask 32 GMs who they would pay more right now and again I think overwhelmingly they would say Z. Just my $0.02.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
You're getting too hung up on looking at things in a vacuum. You are deciding what to pay these guys for the next 7-8 years, not the current moment in time. Offer both players, for free, to 32 teams and I believe teams would overwhelmingly choose Z. Ask 32 GMs who they would pay more right now and again I think overwhelmingly they would say Z. Just my $0.02.
Certainly possible. We'll see but I won't be surprised in the least if Z gets a bridge deal.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Zegras working out with Kreider is pretty awesome. I’m hoping the re-signing is taking this long because it’s long-term and not a bridge. Does Verbeek see him part of the long-term future? I hope so.

If he does sign a bridge, won’t be the end of the world, will still be a RFA but the team needs to start improving, so he will be enticed to sign long term (would be Terry’s age then when that bridge contract is done). Hopefully locking down Terry long-term sets things in motion for the future of the team.

Reactions: Kalv

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Seriously? There’s a month and a half til training camp. Very standard procedure
he's the last of the big RFA's to be signed in the league. a bunch of other 2019 draftee's have already signed with their club. Zegras wants a deal, the team should also want a deal, we have the cap space; just don't really get why one hasn't been done already. last thing this franchise need is for this to become a Nylander situation.

• Haha
Reactions: AngelDuck

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
he's the last of the big RFA's to be signed in the league. a bunch of other 2019 draftee's have already signed with their club. Zegras wants a deal, the team should also want a deal, we have the cap space; just don't really get why one hasn't been done already. last thing this franchise need is for this to become a Nylander situation.
I think the most logical explanation is zegras wants to bridge and we don't.

Reactions: All Mighty

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
This is how the game is played buckle up

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I don't know... What's the original source for that video? There's some watermark for Prentiss Performance Instagram account and looking at the staff list I'd say that guy is their founder, strength and conditioning coach Ben Prentiss. Team — Prentiss Hockey Performance

Before the Zegras leg exercise, there's shot of a q-p mat. Reading up on the Prentice Hockey's founder, he's connected to Boston Univ and the NYR. Zegras went to Boston U. q-p is located in Stamford, CT. Zegras' "hopeful he'll sign contract with Ducks soon" article has him located in Stamford, CT.

The q-p founder really does have Eakins' like facial features from the side in that video though. The build and voice are not Eakins' like.

Reactions: Vinegar Strokes

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I'm sure there have been initial discussions, but I think it's pretty clear that Pat's attention had been to Terry because of the arbitration. I'm sure they will start working more on Zegras and Drysdale contracts soon, but we'll see how long will it take. Looks like Pat might be willing to go the extra mile to negotiate a better deal for the team, so who knows how close it is.

Zegras sounds determined.

Reactions: Rybread86

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad