Player Discussion Trent Frederic II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I hope to hell the coaching staff has Frederic's development aimed higher than becoming a Ross f***ing Johnson level player.

Ross who?

I thought you meant Ross Colton for a sec

I would be ecstatic if he turned out to be like that guy from Tampa

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I feel like what you're seeing/sensing is a component of why he's been less than the physical presence a lot of fans expect...tough to be physical, punish the opposing D, create turnovers when you're late to the party.

Is it skating? Not sure, I kind of lean towards it's not seeing the ice/thinking the game at a high enough speed. Maybe that develops in time, but I fear guys that don't get it now, often don't get it ever.

Career 4th liner is what I see at this juncture and how long that career can hang on is dependent on the level of energy he can muster if his brain and/or feet don't catch up. Would love to be proven wrong here.

You pretty well nailed what I see .Always late to the party and not sure why but assume it's his skating and as you said he processes things to slow

Reactions: Mathews28

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
Want him to put the puzzle pieces together; the Bruins need someone a little crazy, who can skate, hit, know where to be and play right on the edge and drop them when needed. Don’t see much else in the org that can possibly do that at this level.

not sure he can do the 10g/10a/100PIM like Sugah did but we need it, IMO

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
He was fine tonight. Does his job on the 4th line.
sorry friend, I love ya but fine? A player who is expected to play with physicality and bring energy with 1 hit, no shots isn`t fine, he was useless

He played maybe 8 minutes and he was lucky to receive that IMO

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Liked his game yesterday. Seems more confident with the puck however he still is a little slow to make decisions with it. But more confidence in the offensive zone is a good sign

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
I mentioned this in the PGT but I'm going to bring it over here because it's more on topic...

I think think folks who are disappointed in Frederic are disappointed because they want him to be something he's not.

You see a guy who fights well and you want Lucic. You want him to run around and throw 8 hits and be a menace. That's never been his game. He wasn't that player for Team USA. He wasn't that player in college. He wasn't that player in Providence (though he started fighting there), and he hasn't been that player here (he averages 1.5 hits per game). He's making plays every game, but nobody cares. Where are the hits!?

You want him to be Lucic, but he is trying to become Charlie Coyle.

Frederic has the same style as Coyle, the same puck protection skills, the same poise and patience when he has the puck looking to make plays. He finishes his hits when they're there, but he doesn't run around looking to hit everyone (neither does Coyle). The one difference is Frederic can fight, and that's awesome. Who wouldn't want a Coyle with the ability and willingness to fight a Tom Wilson?

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
sorry friend, I love ya but fine? A player who is expected to play with physicality and bring energy with 1 hit, no shots isn`t fine, he was useless

He played maybe 8 minutes and he was lucky to receive that IMO

i think what an actually good 4th line does isnt measured in hits. Its measured in offensive zone time. 4th lines are supposed to put pressure on defenses and drive puck possession. The physicality aspect is what bad 4th lines point to so they can say they were effective. Good 4th lines (washingtons last playoff) didnt beat the bruins up. They wore the bruins down. See the difference. If frederic can effectively play a low cycle game and pin teams in, it will impact the game far greater than an open ice hit or a fight

Reactions: FabulousLysell

Healthy Wrap

May 15, 2014
Neely’s Kitchen
I mentioned this in the PGT but I'm going to bring it over here because it's more on topic...

I think think folks who are disappointed in Frederic are disappointed because they want him to be something he's not.

You see a guy who fights well and you want Lucic. You want him to run around and throw 8 hits and be a menace. That's never been his game. He wasn't that player for Team USA. He wasn't that player in college. He wasn't that player in Providence (though he started fighting there), and he hasn't been that player here (he averages 1.5 hits per game). He's making plays every game, but nobody cares. Where are the hits!?

Frederic has the same style as Coyle, the same puck protection skills, the same poise and patience when he has the puck looking to make plays. He finishes his hits when they're there, but he doesn't run around looking to hit everyone (neither does Coyle). The one difference is Frederic can fight, and that's awesome. Who wouldn't want a Coyle with the ability and willingness to fight a Tom Wilson?
Frederic is like Coyle if you took away the skating ability, skill, and hockey sense. He’s more like Wagner than Coyle at this point in his career. Could he eventually develop into a decent bottom-6 grinder? Sure. But I think it’s just as likely that he gets bumped out of the lineup by a guy like Lauko.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL

I agree with this post, with he exception of the comment that Frederic can fight.

Actually, he's a pretty lousy fighter. He's willing, for sure. He's just not very good at it.....and that's OK. Back to the point of the original post, lets not make him into something he's not.

BruinsNetwork

Jan 8, 2021
Frederic is like Coyle if you took away the skating ability, skill, and hockey sense. He’s more like Wagner than Coyle at this point in his career. Could he eventually develop into a decent bottom-6 grinder? Sure. But I think it’s just as likely that he gets bumped out of the lineup by a guy like Lauko.

I love Lauko as much as the next guy, but he’s continuously hurt or dinged up due to his style of play and lack of durability. He’s a good talent but I don’t see how he can be penciled in to displace anyone in Boston.

I don’t see how that’s a likely situation and I’m higher on the prospects around here than most are.

Couldn’t of said it better myself and I’m really pleased by his game last night. In fact, I prefer him playing this style than what he was trying to do last year— it’s just not his role. Frederic is a talented player and he’s legitimately proven that in both D1 NCAA and AHL play.

I don’t think his skating or mobility is comparable to Coyle, but I agree he could stand to use his solid possession ability more. He did that last night and actually looked like he remembered that he’s pretty talented and can possess the puck.

There were a couple of plays along the walls in particular where he was keeping things alive with Nosek, Kuhlman with some subtle touch-play passing.

Let the kid try carve out a role in the mold that he sees for himself instead of trying to force some fourth-line plug because you crave violence.

Want that? Go watch some 1990s highlights on YouTube— plenty of fighting, hitting and violence there. It’s going to be 2022 in a few months, might finally be time to accept that the NHL has changed and things are much different now.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA

Frederic is nothing like Wagner.

Wagner is all hustle and nowhere to go. Wagner rushes everything and pushes pucks at the net. He was a classic high energy 4th liner. That's what Blidh is.

Frederic is calm, he plays with his head up when he carries the puck and he makes possession plays. He made 3 area passes in pre-season to send Nosek in alone. Have you ever seen Wagner make an area pass? Or even a saucer pass for that matter?

Healthy Wrap

May 15, 2014
Neely’s Kitchen

Wagner is all hustle and nowhere to go. Wagner rushes everything and pushes pucks at the net. He was a classic high energy 4th liner. That's what Blidh is.

Frederic is calm, he plays with his head up when he carries the puck and he makes possession plays. He made 3 area passes in pre-season to send Nosek in alone. Have you ever seen Wagner make an area pass? Or even a saucer pass for that matter?
We’ll agree to disagree then. I see a player who has no idea what to do when the puck is on his stick most of the time. Looks like a very replaceable player at the moment. If he wasn’t drafted in the 1st round he wouldn’t have nearly this much hype. As others have said, if he can be a Thornton-esque presence on the 4th line, then I’d be happy with that. I don’t think he’s consistently engaged enough to do that but it’s still early in his young career

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012

frederics game is like max sauve. But hopefully without the injuries

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
I just want to see some offensive threat from our 4th line. I agree that fighting is on it's way out and if you dont kill penalties at least be a bit of an offensive threat otherwise you become just another guy. I think Frederic might become something but would rather see a quality pk'er or an offensive threat like Studnicka on the 4th line. I agree that times have changed and having 4th liners play 7 minutes a night is no longer acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad