Player Discussion Trent Frederic II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
It's also one thing that a player can work on and improve upon. I'm not saying hard work will turn a bad skater into Scott Niedermyer. But you can work on skating and vastly improve it. They say one reason Brayden Point dropped in his draft year were skating concerns.

There are zero concerns with his skating now.

Nick Ritchie could skate well for a big man when he was younger and slimmer. Go watch him in the WJC in 2015 and you can see he could move.

Frederic has been quoted as working on his skating in the off-season. He knows it's something that needs to get better to be an effective NHL player.

Meanwhile Jimmy Hayes could of skated a million miles an hour and he's still be an awful hockey player. ;)
Look no further than Kevin Miller. I think it was after a couple years in, he dedicated himself to improving his skating. He worked with skating coaches, focusing on both power skating and fine edge work. He went from below average to probably a little better than average and it had a huge impact on his game.

It can be done. It takes really hard work, diligence, and dedication.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Look no further than Kevin Miller. I think it was after a couple years in, he dedicated himself to improving his skating. He worked with skating coaches, focusing on both power skating and fine edge work. He went from below average to probably a little better than average and it had a huge impact on his game.

Perfect example.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

Danielle Logano was a big help to Miller.

Also Milan Lucic. Look at his improvement from his rookie year to his second year.

Sometimes its something as simple as changing technique to generate more power.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida

Also Milan Lucic. Look at his improvement from his rookie year to his second year.

Good one. Lucic didn't get enough recognition for his top-end straight-line speed. It took more than a few steps to get going, but he was a damn freight train when he got up to speed.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Teams can protect either 8 Skaters and 1 goalie, or 7 F, 3 D and 1 goalie. Most teams will go the 7/3/1 route, and it's assumed Boston will also (they might of even said it publically). There are certain requirements for who is to be exposed but the Bruins will meet those so no point in getting into the details.

Anyone with no-movement clauses must be protected. UFAs can't be protected but Seattle is given a window to speak to UFAs and if they sign on (say the Kraken signed Hall during this window) that counts as their pick from that team. Some players are exempt from the draft due to their amount of professional experience (Studnicka, Vaak and Swayman are notably exempt).

So the Bruins have to protect Marchand, Bergeron, Pastrnak and Coyle due to No move clauses. So that's 4 out of 7 F.

They have to protect 3 more. So they have to pick 3 out of Smith, Ritchie, Debrusk, Frederic, Lazar, Kase, Wagner, Kuhlman, etc.. Let's assume they choose to protect Smith, Ritchie, and Debrusk.

On D they have to protect 3 guys out of McAvoy, Carlo, Gryz, Lauzon, Clifton, Zboril, Moore, Let's assume they protect McAvoy, Carlo and Gryz.

For goaltenders, they'll only have two to worry about. Vladar will be protected and Booth will be exposed.

So assuming Seattle doesn't bother with Bruin UFAs (which I would say is likely) they get to pick one of the following based on the assumed protected players:

Frederic
Lazar
Kase
Wagner
Kuhlman
Hughes
Koppanen
Blidh
Senyshyn
JFK
Cehlarik
Moore
Clifton
Lauzon
Zboril
Booth

Assuming the Bruins protect the players mentioned in the earlier paragraphs, Seattle can take one player from this list of unprotected players. Both teams are free to speak to each other and cut side deals such as Vegas did with 10 teams back in 2017 expansion. So if the Bruins wanted to unload the rest of the failed 2015 1st round, they can do so. I actually think if the Bruins said to Seattle, "here take Zboril and we'll send you Debrusk and Senyshyn as compensation" I'd say Seattle would be all over it.

Thank you for the clarification. I really appreciate it.

At this point they would be ouf of their minds to protect DeBrusk or Zboral. Throw in ZS and a bag of pucks.

If there were any way to do so, I would protect Lauzon and Frederic. Unfortunately, that may not be possible. It would be too bad, because each in their own way give the Bruins what they sorely, sorely need. Physicality.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Its dwindling for me... he is not a young guy anymore

I hope his skating improves. I think the other deficiencies can be remedied/masked ... just by improvements in skating

I don't get Donny. He drafts/trades/signs FAs .... half that can't skate (Nick Ritchie, Hayes, Backes, Frederic (wip). The one thing that the modern nhl player has to be at least solid at
I don’t think his skating is that bad. The rest of the guys for sure

Reactions: rocketdan9

Jim

Mar 11, 2002
Rochester NY

Of course, Lucic was...what...19 when he joined us, straight out of juniors to pro. It’s reasonable to believe our skating coach would be able to suggest improvement between Year 1 & 2. Didn’t seem to last long in his case, unfortunately.

Frederic has been pro and in the organization since ‘17 - ‘18. One might assume that somebody has had the opportunity to pull him aside and say “hey kid...you should work on your stride” by now.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
His skating isn't bad. It was a knock on him around draft time and some people haven't let that go. If you remember when he made the team out of camp, posters were like, "Holy crap he's a pretty decent skater".... but now we are dropping back to the low-hanging fruit.

I remember his start. He played like we wanted him to. With the combination of trash talking, rat stuff, he was fun to watch. Unfortunately the game fell off and I wonder if the illness had something to do with it.

If he’s here next season, I hope he can give 20-30 points + more consistent game (like the start of the year). He’d be a treat if that’s what he could bring.

Reactions: BMC and Colt.45Orr

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I remember his start. He played like we wanted him to. With the combination of trash talking, rat stuff, he was fun to watch. Unfortunately the game fell off and I wonder if the illness had something to do with it.

If he’s here next season, I hope he can give 20-30 points + more consistent game (like the start of the year). He’d be a treat if that’s what he could bring.

perfect post and that would be my hope for him next year too. I think it’s a reasonable expectation as well

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
His skating isn't bad. It was a knock on him around draft time and some people haven't let that go. If you remember when he made the team out of camp, posters were like, "Holy crap he's a pretty decent skater".... but now we are dropping back to the low-hanging fruit.

Is it really low hanging fruit if Frederic himself admitted the biggest thing he needs to work on is improving his skating. I’m sure that’s what the coaches have told him so that’s why he’s pointed it out as his main focus for the offseason.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Frederics biggest problem is Cassidy. Once that is resolved he will be a good, physical bottom 6 player. The speed and skill crowd will still hate him and want Heinen back (the unprotected analytics darling) but Frederic being allowed to play his game and not being neutered by lady Byng Cassidy would help his game and the team much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad