Player Discussion Trent Frederic II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Why is it so hard to fathom that players can potentially develop at a different pace. And my original comparison was to point out that in his first stint Marchand's game looked a lot like Freddy's , both were agitators who didn't score much and took some silly penalties. And tbh I think most here would be happy if Frederic could produce at half the rate of what Marchand produces. If you want to continue to twist the simple comparison out of context be my guest.

If Frederic could produce at half the rate as Marchand, he would be a Top 6 forward.

Marchand’s first stint wasn’t productive like Frederic’s. However, Marchand’s AHL production was far and away better than Frederic. He put up 0.75 PPG in his rookie season for Providence. The same season he played 20 games for Boston, which was his 2nd professional year, he produced at a 0.94 for Providence. Then made the team the following year out of camp and the rest is history.

Marchand = 0.81 PPG in Providence
Frederic = 0.51 PPG in Providence

Also, Frederic had a 15 game stint, a quick 2 games the following year and this year was in/out of the lineup.

59 career NHL games, 5 points. That’s a 0.08 PPG pace. Take out his 17 previous games where he obviously was not ready and he still only produced at a 0.12 PPG pace.

Players obviously develop at different paces but I think Frederic/Marchand isn’t worth it. Different players with different career paths. Trent seems to be developing as a 4th liner that you hope can become a agitating/physical 3rd liner who gives you 25-30 points.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
It was cool to have a guy willing to go around and mess with established veteran players and also asking for fights.

Didnt last long. Not sure if coaching staff and/or referrees told him to tamp it down or if he just lost some steam.
Think he definitely got that message - and he listened, and was less effective for it. Wouldn’t be surprised if he got some blowback directly or indirectly after Wilson blew up Carlo (which was 100 frustration after getting clowned by Frederic).

Reactions: BMC and BrainOfJ

JerseyBruin

May 29, 2019
Hold on a minute. It was YOU who brought it up! You’re seriously gonna be indignant when it was a comparison YOU made that people are (correctly) pointing out as flawed?
No I did not. I simply stated that when Marchand started his career here , he was viewed as a pest and predominately played that role in his first stint similarly to what Frederic's role is/was. Everyone else here is taking extreme liberties with that statement and twisting it to say how dare you compare the two players. I never said Frederic will develop into the player Marchand will be , I'm just saying players evolve and develop at different paces and that there is still a chance Frederic evolves into a better player than he is right now.

JerseyBruin

May 29, 2019
If Frederic could produce at half the rate as Marchand, he would be a Top 6 forward.

Marchand’s first stint wasn’t productive like Frederic’s. However, Marchand’s AHL production was far and away better than Frederic. He put up 0.75 PPG in his rookie season for Providence. The same season he played 20 games for Boston, which was his 2nd professional year, he produced at a 0.94 for Providence. Then made the team the following year out of camp and the rest is history.

Also, Frederic had a 15 game stint, a quick 2 games the following year and this year was in/out of the lineup.

59 career NHL games, 5 points. That’s a 0.08 PPG pace. Take out his 17 previous games where he obviously was not ready and he still only produced at a 0.12 PPG pace.

Players obviously develop at different paces but I think Frederic/Marchand isn’t worth it. Different players with different career paths. Trent seems to be developing as a 4th liner that you hope can become a agitating/physical 3rd liner who gives you 25-30 points.

Not trying to be obtuse but isn't .51 more than half of .81. Again everyone is missing the context of my initial comparison, I'm not saying Frederic will become another Marchand I was just comparing their initial stints and the impressions they raised.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Well stated and spot on, IMO…

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

I think there's another factor too, and that's style of play. Marchand had speed and skill, where you could see the potential for more offense. It's kind of similar to how Bjork always looked like he was capable of producing more. With Frederic, it's just hard to see. In college, Frederic had a great wrist shot and he had the size, strength, and speed to take the puck to the net. I haven't gotten to see him in Providence, but in the NHL he's not playing like the college version, which looked like there was more offensive potential.

Frederic has moments where his shot has appeared, but the rest of his offensive game is invisible for the most part. I mostly only notice him when he's hitting someone or annoying them verbally.

It's only been 59 career games, so it's certainly possible he could flip a switch, but with young players, you look for moments where the potential shows through, and Frederic simply hasn't had many of those.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I think there's another factor too, and that's style of play. Marchand had speed and skill, where you could see the potential for more offense. It's kind of similar to how Bjork always looked like he was capable of producing more. With Frederic, it's just hard to see. In college, Frederic had a great wrist shot and he had the size, strength, and speed to take the puck to the net. I haven't gotten to see him in Providence, but in the NHL he's not playing like the college version, which looked like there was more offensive potential.

Frederic has moments where his shot has appeared, but the rest of his offensive game is invisible for the most part. I mostly only notice him when he's hitting someone or annoying them verbally.

It's only been 59 career games, so it's certainly possible he could flip a switch, but with young players, you look for moments where the potential shows through, and Frederic simply hasn't had many of those.
going bold here, predict Bjork puts up 40-50 pts next year

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Bjork could put up a lot of points in Buffalo. They are going to be trash, and he will be put in a position to score (top 6 consistently), unlike in Boston.

If he doesn't score this season, he is a lost cause.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
If he can improve his skating he should be the 4th line center next year. For his career he's 51.7% on draws. Take out that small stint as a 21-year old and he's even better. Would of been 4th on the Bruins last year (behind 37, 46 and 52)?

On a side note.....Patrice Bergeron was an insane 62.2% last year. Surpassing his previous career high of 62.1% in 2012-12 (ironically another year he finished 2nd for the Selke).

Reactions: FabulousLysell
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad