Player Discussion Trent Frederic II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RHR37

Dec 24, 2019
The kid is 22 yrs old. Can easily improve his foot speed

interesting to note he had covid and another illness that made him sicker.

I'm still bullish on this player

member 96824

Nah, he needs to play his game and be him. He never really cost them with the extra stuff and he totally worked over some of the toughest nuts in the league to crack. They got to embrace him for him rather than polish off all the edges.

It's speculation, but you do have to wonder if the Carlo hit was a ricochet shot from the back and forth between Wilson and Frederic this season. In this case, Wilson takes two very very clear runs at Frederic. Frederic taunts him after the second one(beauty of empty stadiums at the time is you can hear it pretty crystal clear from the TV feed) and 10 seconds later Wilson runs Carlo from afar with an elbow to the head.

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
It's speculation, but you do have to wonder if the Carlo hit was a ricochet shot from the back and forth between Wilson and Frederic this season. In this case, Wilson takes two very very clear runs at Frederic. Frederic taunts him after the second one(beauty of empty stadiums at the time is you can hear it pretty crystal clear from the TV feed) and 10 seconds later Wilson runs Carlo from afar with an elbow to the head.

Wilson had brain farts all his career.... even when TF was still playing Bantam! The hit on Carlo is written Wilson all over and saying it was TF fault is just ........easy! Who's fault for ALL Wilson brain farts bad and dangerous hit and cheap-shot thru all his NHL years?

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

100% he owned Wilson this year. That TW can’t handle it isn’t Frederic’s problem. The team shouldn’t shy away from taking it to guys like Wilson and Ovechkin when they can.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Don’t loose faith in this player. He is just what we need. He will be a good player for us and even better in the playoffs

Its dwindling for me... he is not a young guy anymore

I hope his skating improves. I think the other deficiencies can be remedied/masked ... just by improvements in skating

I don't get Donny. He drafts/trades/signs FAs .... half that can't skate (Nick Ritchie, Hayes, Backes, Frederic (wip). The one thing that the modern nhl player has to be at least solid at

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

I hope his skating improves. I think the other deficiencies can be remedied/masked ... just by improvements in skating

I don't get Donny. He drafts/trades/signs FAs .... half that can't skate (Nick Ritchie, Hayes, Backes, Frederic (wip). The one thing that the modern nhl player has to be at least solid at

It's also one thing that a player can work on and improve upon. I'm not saying hard work will turn a bad skater into Scott Niedermyer. But you can work on skating and vastly improve it. They say one reason Brayden Point dropped in his draft year were skating concerns.

There are zero concerns with his skating now.

Nick Ritchie could skate well for a big man when he was younger and slimmer. Go watch him in the WJC in 2015 and you can see he could move.

Frederic has been quoted as working on his skating in the off-season. He knows it's something that needs to get better to be an effective NHL player.

Meanwhile Jimmy Hayes could of skated a million miles an hour and he's still be an awful hockey player. ;)

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
It's also one thing that a player can work on and improve upon. I'm not saying hard work will turn a bad skater into Scott Niedermyer. But you can work on skating and vastly improve it. They say one reason Brayden Point dropped in his draft year were skating concerns.

Nick Ritchie could skate well for a big man when he was younger and slimmer. Go watch him in the WJC in 2015 and you can see he could move.

Frederic has been quoted as working on his skating in the off-season. He knows it's something that needs to get better to be an effective NHL player.

Meanwhile Jimmy Hayes could of skated a million miles an hour and he's still be an awful hockey player. ;)

Imo you can't compare Point skating WIP to these big lumbering players at this stages of their careers

The bulk of Point skating improvements came prior to the NHL

I have little to no faith NR skating will be good enough for the playoffs. Unless the journey to the cup is facing Capitals, Blues, Stars of the world.

I do have more hope for Frederic because his burst/mobility/north south wheels are solid. Its the east/west/agility / balance that needs fine tuning

hopefully he can iron it out/his game .... Otherwise will be an afterthought like Brett Ritchie

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Oh 100% agree. Just wonder if it was a case there where the game within the game ended up costing the Bruins.
Carlo is an easy target. Didn’t matter. He needs to change his approach in the zone.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Imo you can't compare Point skating WIP to these big lumbering players at this stages of their careers

The bulk of Point skating improvements came prior to the NHL

I have little to no faith NR skating will be good enough for the playoffs. Unless the journey to the cup is facing Capitals, Blues, Stars of the world.

I do have more hope for Frederic because his burst/mobility/north south wheels are solid. Its the east/west/agility / balance that needs fine tuning

hopefully he can iron it out/his game .... Otherwise will be an afterthought like Brett Ritchie

Ritchie's skating was good enough for him to be drafted 9th overall.

What about John Tavares? Another player who had skating concerns. He worked on those while in the NHL. Lot's established NHL players work on their skating, every year. You make it sound like Point gave up working on his skating the minute he made the show. When the reality is, it was the complete opposite. Players like Point are ALWAYS trying to find ways to improve their game, including skating. That's part of what makes them great players. No one gets by on natural ability alone in pro hockey anymore.

Yes, the older a player gets, the harder it is to improve skating through training. No doubt. It also gets harder to lose weight and stay in shape as a player gets older too.

All of it, skating/fitness/weight impact a players skating abilty. All of it can be worked on. It's not infinite as I said earlier.

While I have concerns with Frederic's upside given his development up to this point, I have no doubt he can improve his skating and become a better NHL player. How much better? I guess time will tell.

JerseyBruin

May 29, 2019
Carlo is an easy target. Didn’t matter. He needs to change his approach in the zone.
IMO it wasn't even that bad of a hit , one that many players absorb , it's just that Carlo got caught in between and the earlier concussion this season played into it and how he approached the hit. If that same play happened gm1 of the past season I would like to believe Carlo would have played it differently and he would have not been injured.

Troublesome 85

TOP RANKED
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton

early 20s……not a young guy

ok

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
IMO it wasn't even that bad of a hit , one that many players absorb , it's just that Carlo got caught in between and the earlier concussion this season played into it and how he approached the hit. If that same play happened gm1 of the past season I would like to believe Carlo would have played it differently and he would have not been injured.

Wilson is head hunter. He came in fast and hard with hard hit to the head . He should have been suspended

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.

I don't understand the minutia of the Kracken draft.

But, is it really the case that the B's would leave Lauzon or Trent exposed, while keeping JZ, DeBrusk, or others?

I'm genuinely asking here. If I could offload the entire 2015 draft (save Carlo) on Seattle, I would. Do the Bruins *have* to lose Clifton and/0r Lauzon/Freddie?

I realize there is an equation here; X protected D, X protected forwards.

What's up?

Reactions: TheReal13Linseman

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I don't understand the minutia of the Kracken draft.

But, is it really the case that the B's would leave Lauzon or Trent exposed, while keeping JZ, DeBrusk, or others?

I'm genuinely asking here. If I could offload the entire 2015 draft (save Carlo) on Seattle, I would. Do the Bruins *have* to lose Clifton and/0r Lauzon/Freddie?

I realize there is an equation here; X protected D, X protected forwards.

What's up?

Teams can protect either 8 Skaters and 1 goalie, or 7 F, 3 D and 1 goalie. Most teams will go the 7/3/1 route, and it's assumed Boston will also (they might of even said it publically). There are certain requirements for who is to be exposed but the Bruins will meet those so no point in getting into the details.

Anyone with no-movement clauses must be protected. UFAs can't be protected but Seattle is given a window to speak to UFAs and if they sign on (say the Kraken signed Hall during this window) that counts as their pick from that team. Some players are exempt from the draft due to their amount of professional experience (Studnicka, Vaak and Swayman are notably exempt).

So the Bruins have to protect Marchand, Bergeron, Pastrnak and Coyle due to No move clauses. So that's 4 out of 7 F.

They have to protect 3 more. So they have to pick 3 out of Smith, Ritchie, Debrusk, Frederic, Lazar, Kase, Wagner, Kuhlman, etc.. Let's assume they choose to protect Smith, Ritchie, and Debrusk.

On D they have to protect 3 guys out of McAvoy, Carlo, Gryz, Lauzon, Clifton, Zboril, Moore, Let's assume they protect McAvoy, Carlo and Gryz.

For goaltenders, they'll only have two to worry about. Vladar will be protected and Booth will be exposed.

So assuming Seattle doesn't bother with Bruin UFAs (which I would say is likely) they get to pick one of the following based on the assumed protected players:

Frederic
Lazar
Kase
Wagner
Kuhlman
Hughes
Koppanen
Blidh
Senyshyn
JFK
Cehlarik
Moore
Clifton
Lauzon
Zboril
Booth

Assuming the Bruins protect the players mentioned in the earlier paragraphs, Seattle can take one player from this list of unprotected players. Both teams are free to speak to each other and cut side deals such as Vegas did with 10 teams back in 2017 expansion. So if the Bruins wanted to unload the rest of the failed 2015 1st round, they can do so. I actually think if the Bruins said to Seattle, "here take Zboril and we'll send you Debrusk and Senyshyn as compensation" I'd say Seattle would be all over it.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

He’s 23. Yikes.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Well Mason Lohrei is a grandfather, that must mean Trent Frederic at 23 is this

529ABAFC-04E6-4A8E-8C01-AA0C814D6750.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad